What happened to the SRPG genre?

What happened to the SRPG genre?

There's literally ZERO of them out for this generation. The last one I played was I think Disgaea 5. And that wasn't even that tactical. Just grinding.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eE2esIcRhNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=i4jHEGYfFpk
youtube.com/watch?v=jLLcGaBE8-c
youtube.com/watch?v=J2rG-mTfelE
siliconera.com/2017/07/08/tactical-game-fell-seal-offers-complex-classes-maximum-troop-customization/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They exist, just don't go into this series for the gameplay.

That's more of a VN than anything. I want a more SRPG gameplay than a VN tacked on with a SRPG

new Tactics Ogre when?

FE Conquest had gameplay JUST good enough for me to overlook its many flaws

but I'm not optimistic about the FE on switch, Conquest was able to be as difficult as it was because it was because the game was 3 routes

There's a bunch on 3ds: Fire Emblem is still going strong, SMT Devil Survivor had enhanced ports, stella glow was relatively popular but I suspect it sucks, langrisser 3ds was an abomination, and project x zone is notable but I don't think anyone cares about the gameplay.
There's some Super Robot Wars game on PS4 or vita, not sure which.
I think another Summon Night game is coming out but I wasn't impressed by SN5 so whatever.
I think even neptunia got a srpg recently.

I miss Front Mission and Tactics Ogre but there's still plenty of titles coming out.

>tfw no good SRPG Maker program to keep a constant flow of games coming that are 99.99% utter shit, but occasionally result in a decent game that can tide you over until the next big-name release

>There's literally ZERO of them out for this generation
Super Robot Wars still exist.

youtube.com/watch?v=eE2esIcRhNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=i4jHEGYfFpk

Have you played Battle for Wesnoth? There's a ton of user-made campaigns, probably more than you'd ever have time to play.

I was gonna post this. Great game but barely anybody talks about it.

>What happened to the SRPG genre?
The weeb trash died out and the genre is now uttelry dominated by superior Western SRPGs, not like it wasn't dominated by them before, mind you.

FTL team is making one that looks fun.

There are quite a few, but sadly they all are really bad when compared to FFT or TO.

Off the top of my head Dynasty Warriors Godseekers, Utawarerumono, and God Wars all released in English this year alone. I recommend none of them.

Why doesn't anyone talk about Arc the Lad? Why doesn't anyone love it? FUCK

>divinity
This game is so fucking slooooowwwwwww and boring as shit

At least it has actual challenge due to XP being a limited resource (which is spent on character progression) and limitless grind without consequences being impossible, unlike in most of the so called "iconic" weeb trash like FFT, TO and Shitgaea.

Dynasty Warriors Godseekers?

It's mostly popular among latino gamers

-gamesmasterjasper

Why? user are you calling me a latino? Don't do that

>FFT
>weebtrash comparable to disgaea
Never go full retard.

>FFT
>not weeb trash
>when the protag is your typical teenager who saves the world
>when the plot is literally anime tier

SRPG genre ended when Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume came out

Semper games

-gamesmasterjasper

it was ok i guess

I don't know what you're saying

youtube.com/watch?v=jLLcGaBE8-c

I've always been a big Front Mission fan and always wanted to try making an SRPG in the style of the first Front Mission but when ever I start really thinking about it and starting to write out a plan I realize I'm probably too much of a brainlet see it through right.

>FFT
>trash

Okay, hipsterella

FFT is pretty bad by today's standards.

I replayed it a few years ago and thought it held up fine.

It's far too unbalanced for it's own good on top of the translation being horrid.

Xenonaughts was garbage desu.

Enemy Within > Enemy Unknown

I'm still playing through the original, actually I was playing it last month but I can't find my save files, where the fuck did they go?

>tfw can't find a wallpaper sized copy of this image without shit all over it

I hear the original has a bunch of problems with modern operating systems, disappearing save files could be one of them.

I think it's because the .iso was in my daemon tools drive for two years and I switched it out last month for something else, if anyone else owns this game tell me where windows default saves the files to.

alright nevermind, I found it again

getting through takes forever when you have the voice patch and you let every line play out.

Sorry I can't be of any help. I haven't played Underwater Ray Ramano since 2009 and it worked find on win XP.

It's mostly because of the anime and the plot was spoiled a long time ago. The third game will have a bit more lively threads. Sup Forums managed to have 3 back to back threads for a couple days after the jap release of futari no hakuoro. I swear to god, if atlus actually uses the fucking L that showed up in the fighting crossover game, I'll riot.

Yeah I'm glad I stayed far away from those fucking threads. September cannot come soon enough.

Right on. Karura best girl.

Don't worry laddies, when I'm with you, my body is very hard too.

More power to you if you avoided spoilers the past year.

I just found out about this game thanks to this thread, but apparently it's only out for PS4 and Vita. Sucks because I'm a sucker for SRPG's.

What was wrong with God Wars? I'd just heard about it recently but hadn't looked into it much yet.

A Fire Emblem with Warsong (Der Langrisser) would be awesome

Energy Breaker was fun for what it was

You can play the prequel on PC. Also Vita TVs go for around 30 bucks.

it's fine

I'll have to look for the prequel then, google is just churning up articles on the PS4 and Vita releases, and I didn't realize Vita TVs were even a thing. Neat.

Xenonauts has better gameplay mechanics than Firaxis games, but its artstyle is really hit or miss.

Name one reason why you think it's "good".

I would kill for a remake or updated re-release of Ogre Battle 64

Check out valiant force on android, its honestly the closest thing we have got since 64.

There was that PSP game, Jeanne D'Arc or whatever, that was pretty good.

Play Chroma Squad

Is it released on anything besides mobile?

That's not true, the 3DS had a remake of Devil Survivor. So I guess that counts right?

Not that i know of. Can get one of the phone emulators, blue somethin? Should work fine on that.

Fire Emblem is still being made and Devil Survivor 2 just got a remake a couple years back, Disgaea 5 just got re-released, Mario x Rabbids is a SRPG too

God Wars Future Past came out I guess.

Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks!

How are the Banner Saga games? Are they worth the investment?

Only if you like story rich SRPGs with well-written characters, but mediocre as fuck combat. Don't get BS for the combat alone, you will be severely disappointed.

youtube.com/watch?v=J2rG-mTfelE

looking forward to this

art looks beautiful and the premise is neat, but SRPG systems are wonky and unsatisfying

Saw this last night. Looks pretty cool.

siliconera.com/2017/07/08/tactical-game-fell-seal-offers-complex-classes-maximum-troop-customization/

Also, there are some TO: LUCT mods to keep things fresh. Chronicle Valeria and One Vision.

Not that user, but let me go ahead and tell you why I like the game, even after playing it again just earlier this year.

Huge unit variation with how the skill work, yes some of the classes are underwhelming (Namely the Archer) but even then a smart player can find a way to exploit the weaknesses and make them competent units when mixed with other class skills, archers running concentrate with the Knights abillity to break equipment was pretty great. I'm sure the word "Exploit" might rustle some jimmies and lead to a debate on how the games systems were abusable, but I personally don't see an issue with that, it's a single player game that can be difficult if you stay the right level, or it can be easy based on how much you train and exploit the systems, it's based on how the player chooses to play the game- Some players want to be too powerful, others want to struggle. If you don't want the game to be easy, then don't make the game easy. The story is also amazing, albeit a little confusing at times due to the political intrigue and mediocre translation, but if you pay attention you know what's going on. Even at age 12 I didn't have a hard to understanding the story. Ramza isn't a "chosen one" he doesn't have amnesia or any super powers, he's a 16 - 18 year old squire (Adult age in medieval settings) who is trying his hardest to be the man he was raised to be, the man his father wanted him to be. Doing this leads to him losing his best friend, fighting his brothers, and being defaced and demonized in the face of the whole world. The story also starts off pretty mellow until you start to understand what's really going on, and unlike a lot of games/stories the "High Fantasy" spike where demons and magical stones start coming out of the walls makes sense in a setting where people can learn magic just through training.

SRPGs are very alive, it's just the ones made by Square Enix that died

Good riddance

Has anyone beaten FFT Hardmode? I played that and literally couldn't beat the cutscene mission where you only control yourself cause the npc's sandbagged me so hard.

>There's literally ZERO of them out for this generation.

One of the biggest games of E3 was an SRPG.

What's it called?

I think they're talking about South Park.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

fucking never

matsuno is on mobileshit duty mandated by SE until the day he keels over dead

I actually started playing FFXIV recently just for the Tactics Ogre tie-ins.

We're here to save the SRPG genre.

the constant stream of to armor is nice

>FFT is hipster trash
>Call people hipsters for hating it
How ironic

Literally XCOM

Not to move the goalposts or anything, but 40-50% of those are fucking awful

Especially Banner Saga

>Disgaea 5. And that wasn't even that tactical. Just grinding.
It's tactical grinding, get it right, pyon
Also go and buy SD Gundam G Generation Genesis. And SRW V too. You Gundam Weaboo,
pyon

only good western tactics game (really no point calling them sRPG) is JA2.
Nothing else managed to top it. Your list has some okayish games but mostly a trash

Kamidori Alchemy Meister is the best SRPG to date. Prove me wrong.
You cant

it's boring as hell tho, hardly difficult, very safe, move from cover to cover gameplay is boring, hardly take any risks, almost no one dies.
I want my classic "oh shit, your squad is dead" experience. Or if no one dies - give them proper characters like in Jagged Alliance or something.

Hey, I'm Soul Nomad, one of the best SRPGs of all time, how are you doing tonight?

Making games starts small. You should never attempt to make your 'dream game' as your first game.

having fun as usual with actual alive franchise, you?

That looks fucking great and fun, shame it isn't.

I'm a disgaeafag, pls no bully.

It wouldn't be my first game. It just a project I occasionally toy around with in my head. I'm pretty sure I can get most of the camera, movement, and basic systems set up I just don't think I have the time or autism to make it fun or polished enough.

Hmm...that's kinda concerning, well I still might give the first game a try, some times a good story can make it worth while.

If it's not to my liking then that's okay, I've dealt with worse.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to create a SRPG while advancing on my Unity knowledge.

What should be the main assets of the game?

· Normal Grid movement or Hexagonal Grid?
· Single Heroes (Fire Emblem) / Units (Advance wars) / Both (Langrisser) ?
· Equipment system?

I'm late but combat is shit and story doesn't do anything groundbreaking. Personally, I was disappointed I even pirated it. You might want to check out hard west though, an overall mediocre experience but one that keeps you interested. Totally worth if you drops below 10 bux.

w-want me to make one user?

hexagonal grid
do it suikoden style
no input on equipment

Turn-based combat is a relic, also X-COM :^)

>tfw you're just learning to draw at 22 in the vague hopes of becoming a concept artist or something

Coders, music, and writers have it so easy

Your mom is a relic

the same reason there are so little turn based RPGs as there once were; there were so many made but they offered nothing new. The formula becomes boring and stale, and action RPGs have taken over since there's more you can do. RPGs and SRPGs rarely break the mold and if you've played one, you've pretty much played them all.

That's why Persona 5 was so popular IMO, because it offered a different take on the typical turn based RPG. When SRPGs can figure out how to do this, they'll be popular again.

Can anyone think of any SRPGs based around fantasy shit wherein you can name your party members?

don't worry, I won't
I started learning when I hit 20. 8 years later - I work full time as 2D artist for some shitty mobile games,
getting offers for drawing concepts for indie, boxarts or some tabletop stuff now and then to do in free time
just don't give up
and no, other don't have it easy. it never easy

People who crying that there are no sRPG - do not bother to actually look for them.