What do you look for in an MMO and which do you think is the best right now?

What do you look for in an MMO and which do you think is the best right now?

How do I know what MMO is right for me if I've never played one before?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gbENEYUGhLU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

THIS IS A STEALTH FFXIV THREAD MODS MODS MOOOODDS

WOOP
WE GOT A BACKSEAT MODDER OVER HERE
BET YOU DO IT FOR FREE KIDDO
GET IN HERE REAL MODS AND CLAP THIS KID. YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL FOR A LONG TIME FAGGOT.

WoW is still the king of Theme park MMOs. Every few years a new one shows up and does something new and innovative. Then WOW absorbs that feature into its next expansion and the former game dies off shortly after.

As far as non themepark MMOs go? There are a few out there and all of them have some pretty glaring flaws. Eve is okay if you dont mind spreadsheets in space. BDO is okay if you're a communist and Albion Online recently released by its very simple.

What, are "FFXIV threads" a constant thing? I didn't know.

I considered using a WoW screenshot too.

I shall use this thread to say I want to play Lost Ark Online.

I just want a MMO that's not dead, has decent production value, doesn't run like dogshit PC optimization wise, and doesn't want me to spend my entire life playing it to catch up with others.

So far FFXIV is the only MMO that delivers.

the only fun thing to do in BDO is climb around cities
so any mmo with a decent ability to climb around buildings is good.
probably the only reason to play gw2

ESO

>b2p/f2p garbage
Some people still have selfrespect

isn't the game like 100gb now

oh c'mon what's wrong with that?

Basically FFXI. It was literally the perfect MMO.

>So far FFXIV is the only MMO that delivers.
lol

Why do you think this user?
I don't give mmos the time of day usually but I see alot of people praise final fantasies what so good about them?
the rpg games have be declining in quality for awhile now.

>So far FFXIV is the only MMO that delivers.
>2.5sec gcd

top kek

XI was treated as one of the worst mmo ever made
Think about it, and think how much retarded someone needs to be to actually like it

>gcd

Latency. If you have a 1.5 second window between skills, its far more difficult to notice or feel inconvenienced by latency. Instead of having to have abilities be instantaneous or, they really only have to occur within this window to not feel like they're backing up or hindering the player.

Bandwidth restrictions. It is far easier for the server to process 1 command every 1.5 seconds from each player, than unknown number of commands. It is also easier to code and adjust for a known maximum number of commands. In addition to this, it disallows some more creative and exploitative gameplay, such as setting up your macro keyboard to cast a skill 700 times a second in one keypress.

Balance. Without a GCD, you are limited by your connection and how fast you can push buttons, rather than other measures of skill. It helps prevent a person with a 50 ping from being able to simply throw out 4x more abilities than a person with a 200 ping. It also allows the developers to easily balance around a maximum amount of damage that can be done in a certain time span, rather than an unknown number that may be completely different for every player.

I really like how you can guess from the thumbnail that the screenshot is from some cancerous Korean mmo, even fucking Metin 2 is better than these

Dark age of Camelot 2 but in warhammer 40k universe

I don't know why people make a big deal about this. Do you shit yourself when you have to wait a turn in a Final Fantasy game?

what the fuck is this mess

Are Everquest progression servers active at all? I had a lot of fun with Everquest, but I don't want to play without a nice community. P99 is full of autists.

FFXI was literally treated as EQ1.5
The people who hated it were the kids who expected FF7 online
its SE's most profitable game by far and was the only MMO ever released that forced cooperative gameplay in every facet of the game through difficulty, so the mongoloids who loved playing an online game to play by themselves disliked it

The best MMO is RuneScape unironically. Albion looks cool but I hear it has no quests and that kind of kills it for me, it won't have comfy adventuring.

mongoloids who loved playing an online game to play by themselves

You can largely thank WoW for this. Pretty much mainstreamed the "run back and forth doing laundry quests/dailies with 0 player interaction" style of busywork + chatroom.

>FFXI was literally treated as EQ1.5
Lie again
Why are you lying?
It was treated as eq0,8 at best
> so the mongoloids who loved playing an online game to play by themselves disliked it
Are youretarded or something? No matter how much eq tried to remove cooperation from genre it happened only years later after ffxi already was released

>hitting enrage twice in O1S because people kept dying

I love how FFXIV shillers always post that image, even though the game looks absolutely nothing like that.

Looks like Tera with really shitty ui scaling settings.

That's just proof of concept of A Realm Reborn.
The actual game is not too different.

MMORPGs are shit

Maybe some MMOFPS like Planetside 2

XI merged console and pc in the same worlds at it's second expension , it was a first and amazing still to this day. you're probably one of those bitter everquest fans from this faggot site fires of heavens

I want it to be offline and Japanese

>tfw people think i'm a shill despite not knowing jack shit about ff14 or other mmos

>comparing single player games to MMOs

They're completely different things user, 2.5s is incredibly slow for a tab-targetting MMO and the most compelling reason for it being that long is to be a crutch for console players. Apologists will say that there are bunch of off GCD skills and classes like NIN and MNK play much faster but if you actually look at logs most players never break the 40-50 CPM range while some classes hover at an abysmally slow 20-30 CPM.

Actual endgame with raids, especially raids involving characters that people care about

So, I'm gonna go ahead and say WoW, since its the only MMO that actual bothers to have PvE Endgame

slowest final fantasy game ever
slowest mmo ever

>Planetside 2
>good

>What do you look for in an MMO

big anime tiddies

I played this game from the start of ARR to the end of HW.

I stuck with it because my friends did, but man. This just killed any enjoyment of the game for me. The combat is so agonizingly slow - Everybody says it gets better, but as someone who's capped a pretty decent amount of classes, it never does. The combat is slow, shallow, and boring from start to finish.

I found myself logging on to do my roulettes, finishing them, and then closing the game going "Glad that's over." Where the hell is the fun in that?

The game is a slog and the only people who defend it have never played another MMO before.

>slowest mmo ever
XI is even slower if you can believe that.

I will never play this piece of shit game of wasted potential. This game was the perfect chance to have Ivalice as a setting with cool and unique races but no lets just do a shittier FF11 instead with bland short humans, tall humans, bara humans and cat humans. I will stick with WoW until I get my playable Bangaa/Viera

I think the best MMO right now is EVE, even tho the devs are trying very hard to kill it the last few years

The game is fantastic and I've been playing mmos since Everquest 2.

autism

I loved XI and detested XIV. Go figure.

>slow boring combat
>modern game yet still doesn't have a seamless Open world
>lots of mandatory grinding
>shit races
At least the music and story pretty good

I am autistic because I hate 14s shitty races and setting? Fuck off Yoshishill

>What do you look for in an MMO
Good group dynamics and interaction. A lack of dependancy on making a lot of alts and just logging on and doing dailies because theres nothing to fucking do once you reach endgame thats not on weekly lockout timers.

>which do you think is the best right now?
None, all current mmos are absolute garbage

>How do I know what MMO is right for me if I've never played one before?
You will think your first mmo is great, its part of the mmo experience. Your first one will be life changing and you will think fondly on it forever. My suggestion to someone whos never played an mmo before is to carefully consider which mmo youd like to fuck.

stormblood is trash
the balancing is trash
the content has been trash so far
savage has been trash except for o4 which has a second boss

game wont be fixed until 5.0 and even then the probability is low

How old are you, and when did you start playing XI? I tried it last night, but even the fucking PlayOnline shit is such a pain in the ass to figure out. And WTF are those controls? God damn, it's clunky as shit and have no idea what's going on. I was in some castle, walked out to the desert, killed some worms, then logged out due to how shit the controls were.

I'll give you shit races but the rest is fine or indifferent.

WoW is fucking decades old and yet it has a seamless Open world and faster combat. What is 14's excuse?

>in O1S group
>SAM, RDM and NIN, i'm BRD
>I'm top with 3k, the rest are all at 1.5k

Consoles.

Faster combat is a dumb meme anyway.

You're autistic for playing a worse game just because the better one doesn't cater to your specific needs with settings

so is this shit an MMO or not?

Nonowato is cute! CUTE!!

Thanks. I'm heavily considering ESO since I can just buy it and try it for a few months. I'll move on to something else later.

ESO is a good game, its actually what i was playing up till recently, i just burnt out on it. As far as mmos go, its stable. Its really not the best mmo, but it does a very good job at being a TES game and having good lore and story intigration. The people involved really do know about the setting. Observe this tavern bard song involving deep metaphysical meanings.
youtube.com/watch?v=gbENEYUGhLU

If you are a fan of TES then its easily a good game to play. The /vg/ guild is pretty good too.

runescape has the best quest design out of any game ever made
it's the only mmorpg that's actually an rpg
RS3 > OSRS, especially for quests.
Botting is worse than P2W.