Essentials only

Post essential games for each series. This means games you feel are the only or most mandatory titles you need to play to enjoy//get into a series. IE: Recomending 89 final fantasy games to a person is silly. So you'd choose the 5 best, most well recieved, favorite, etc.

Starting with Metroid.

Remember anons, you are entitled to your own opinions

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FSVXFeCO4A4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You really need to qualify your statement and say Every Metroid Prime except 3, 3 is a terrible game

>3 is a terrible game
How so? 3 was fantastic. Had the best worlds and some of the best boss fights. Or are you conveniently forgetting rundas?

A link to the past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Wind waker
Twilight Princess

>Zelda 1 and 2 are dated old relics that were vastly improved with the SNES.
>Oracle games LA and minish cap are nice, but not necessary
>Four swords adventures isnt important
>Windwaker sequels like PH and ST are not necessary and play like shit
>Shitward sword need not apply
>Spinoff tripe like Triforce heroes is best left dead and burried
Breath of the wild isnt zelda, it's skyrim re-skinned.

Then above 5 are all unique in their own ways with varrying styles of gameplay to change up the formula. Anything else is just the same carbon copy shlock.

>3 was fantastic
Not at all. It was essentially a 3D attempt at Fusion but without anything that made it great. If anyhting it was a poor man's Halo. Rundas is overrated as a boss fight, Dark Samus was barely involved in the plot, it had voice acting which is an immediate negative that should plummet its ranking far below everything else on your list, the worlds were bite sized and had nothing to them, no seamless area transitions thanks to that, etc.

Really it's one of the worst games in the series. Voice acting alone puts it there

>It was a 3D attempt at fusion
No, that was other M. Down to the letter.

>it had voice acting which is an immediate negative that should plummet its ranking far below everything else on your list
Um what? How. Nintendo games are chock full of voice acting. Don't act like NPCs never talk in nintendo games because they ALWAYS do. Just not the MCs, in which Samus does not.

Talk about petty reasoning, christ man.

Elysia exists, so you're wrong.

Talk about not understanding what makes Metroid good. You play it for the feeling of isolation, you can't do that when it's shoving NPCs at your face. Even your god damn shit talks to you. It's spitting on everything Metroid stands for.

I didn't think the voice acting was that bad though and of all people Samus remained the mute one. I don't see why you feel the need to bash it when it really doesn't deserve it.
I agree that Rundas is an overrated fight, Gandryda and Omega Ridley should've gotten the spotlight as being the greatest boss fights in the trilogy.

GTA Vice City
GTA Chinatown Wars
GTA IV

The first two games are fine but Chinatown perfects their style

3 is good but not great
San Andreas is overrated
V is normie redditor garbage

MGS 1
MGS 2
MGS 3
MGS 4

V and anything post Peacewalker can crawl back up Kojimbo's ass where it belongs

Lets also not forget
>2 hours of cutscenes
I'm not playing a fucking movie, I'm playing a game

youtu.be/FSVXFeCO4A4

>essentials only
>lists most of them

Come on. Pick and choose. It's no good saying "b-but they're all essential!!"

For Metroid it's Super and Prime 1.

Phantasia - For classic gameplay
Symphonia - For entry level Linear combat based gameplay
Destiny R - For best linear comat based gameplay
Abyss - For entry level Radial combat based gameplay
Vesperia - For the best balanced gameplay and experience the series has to offer.
Newest (Berseria) - For the latest installment of the series and most up to date gameplay.

As for pseudo-essentials
>Destiny/Eternia/Nakiri - For more classic gameplay
>Legendia/Rebirth - For music and story
>Hearts (DS) for best combo chaining
>Graces/Xillia - For advanced gameplay
>Tempest - For outright masochism

>Come on. Pick and choose

I did. I excluded Metroid NES, Prime hunters, Other M, Prime pinball, Metroid 2, Samus returns, and Federation force.

Final Fantasy: 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12 Tactics

Mandatory is mandatory, you can't limit it.

IV is garbage

No. 4, 5, 6 and maybe 7. 8-12 are piss awful. Tacitcs i'll give you.

Thanks for your input, Contrary Anne.

Maybe you'll fit in one day.

It is though. VI is IV done correctly

Congrats on topping the other guy.

4 is literally the entry level FF, so it makes sense to have it in essentials. It and 7 are the starting points for most people in the series.

>12
>piss awful

Go to bed, Toriyama.

Dragon Quest III, V, VIII

10 is garbage.

Every Ratchet game except SAC and A4O

Action combat does not belong in a turn based series. Its literally an offline star wars MMO with bad character designs.

Size Matters can safely be skipped too.

Fire Emblem 4 and 5

And 4 only makes the cut for the direct connection to 5.

>Revelations 2 over 1

Holy fuck no. Rev 2 was awful and butchered everything RE:V set up.

Final Fantasy hasn't been turn based for a long time, its been ATB based

>Action combat
>12

Oh yeah. Never played it so I didn't even cross my mind. I guess you could add deadlocked too but I actually enjoyed it. The "remaster" is utter trash though.

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Generations

you forgot Sonic CD

>Star Wars offline

when will this meme end

Literally the last main non-MMO FF prior to 12 was turn-based and not ATB.

Deadlocked is excellent stuff but it's only a must-play if you have a friend.
I tried that once btw, holy shit how did people play splitscreen in the 480i days.

>Liking Rev1 over 2
Nigga what are you doing?
Barry's inclusion alone makes Rev2 better by a fucking mile

I'd add Advance 1& 2 to the list.

3 out of 8 games. Not a big win in your favour

>MGS
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

>Ace Attorney
- Ace Attorney Trilogy
- Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2

>Grand Theft Auto
- GTA San Andreas
- GTA IV

>Zero Escape
- 999: Nine hours, Nine persons, Nine doors

>Super Mario
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario Galaxy

>Fire Emblem
- The 3DS ones

>recommend only 5 games
>includes a recommendation for a compilation of 3 games

Add Vice City and Super Mario Sunshine and I think we're settled.

Oh yeah Deadlocked is great, especially with a friend. I used to play it with my friend for hours.

What about the first games?

Figures that a babby who hates MGSV wouldn't have played MG2:SS which is a far better game than 4.

One of the best baits I've seen in this website, 10/10, I am even only 30% sure it's bait, you're probably serious

VLR is better than 999

>MGS4 is worth playing
>MGSV is not
MGSfags will never not make me laugh

Fuck you, Secret Agent Clank is great.

how are you going to play VLR without playing 999?

>goalpost moving damage control

Amount of games was never mentioned. Time since the last turn-based one was. Try again.

Gameplay was just flaccid and not very mechanically satisfying. Also QTEs.

>Super Mario World
>not SMB3
Ideally you would include both but if you have to pick one, 3 is the better choice over world.

How are you going to play MGS3 and Revengeance without playing MGS1?

The N. Sane Trilogy version of Crash 1
Crash 2
Warped
Crash Team Racing

Maybe Crash Bash or Twinsanity if you really need a fifth game but I wouldn't bother.

Excellent b8

HOT OPINIONS COMING THROUGH

>Mario - SMB3, World, Yoshi's island, 64, Sunshine, Odyssey
>Sonic - 3K, CD, Adventure/2, Advance, Battle, Rush, Generations, Mania, Forces
>Crash bandicoot - 1, 3, CTR
>Pokemon - RBY, Emerald, HGSS, Plat, BW2
>Resident Evil - RE1/2/3, RE4, Veronica X, REV
>Professor Layton - Curious, Diabolical, Unwound, Spectre, Eternal Diva, Katrielle
>SMT - II, Nocturne, Devil summoner 1/2, 4A
>Persona - 2IS, 3FES, 4, 5
>Ace combat - 0, 4, 5
>Sly - 1, 2, 3
>DMC - 1, 3SE, 4SE
>Drakengard - Nier, NierA

Can a hidden gem qualify as essential? I think so. Because this is still the best classic style Sonic made for a handheld.

Never said it was bad, just not essential. In fact, I'd go as far as to say there is no bad Ratchet and Clank game.

oras/sm were both okay for a plathrough too

nice sidestep. Still doesn't change the fact that the majority of games in the series have been ATB based, not turn based.

>4SE
>thinks half a game is good

It's not bait.

Let me explain each one.

For MGS, you only need MGS3 to get into the stealth aspect of the series, and MGR:R for the hack'n'slash.

For Ace Attorney, the trilogy (Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney: Justice for All and Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations) is absolutely obligatory for introducing all mechanics, gimmicks and characters that will re-appear in later games. AAI2 is the best game in the series and has obligatory character development for Miles.

GTA San Andreas and IV are what GTA is meant to be, though they perform such task in different ways.

ZE is quite obvious, you need to play 999 before you play VLR or ZTD.

For Super Mario it's more complicated. SMW is the best 2D Mario. SM64 and SMG are the best 3D marios. All other mario games, both 2D and 3D, are just watered down versions of these games.

For Fire Emblem, the 3DS ones do a better job at introducing people to the series, that`s what they are meant for anyway

Nitro Kart is pretty good too IMO

I played MGS2, MGS3, MGSV and MGSR:R

Never played 1 or 4 because it's console only

My understanding of the story is pretty fine

It's not a bad game per say, but it's extremely redundant. It's just an inferior version of CTR where the karts are much heavier and the roster is just complete shit on the console version.

1 is great, you should emulate it and play it

It wasn’t a sidestep. What you were doing was a sidestep. This was already explained. Amount of ATB games in the series was never the subject. Are you going to keep repeating yourself?

>Console version
There's another version?

It aged like shit just like any early 3D game based on polygons

MGS1 has a PC port.

There's a GBA version, which is actually pretty good considering the console's limitations.

They decided to replace the stupid fucking Zam and Zem with the ability to actually play as the boss characters, and they even threw in Spyro as a playable character.

Dept. Heaven series:

Riviera
Knights in the Nightmare

is it as good as MGS2`s? (unplayable on any modern computer)

Now that you mention it I do remember seeing this somewhere

>Yakuza - 0, 1K, 2, 4
>Mega man - 7, X, Zero 3, ZX, ZX advent
>Castlevania - III, SuperIV, Rondo, Symphony, Aria, Portrait
>Ace attorney - 1/23, Apollo, Edgeworth 1/2, DGS
>Shantae - GBC, Pirates curse
>Final Fantasy - IV, V, VI, VII
>007 - Goldeneye, Nightfire, Everything or Nothing
>Smash bros - 64, 4
>Star fox - 64, Assault
>Hitman - Contracts, Blood money, 2016
>Star ocean - 2, 2E

>Souls - Demon, Dark, Bloodborne

Wow your shit taste makes me sad

I'm gonna go ahead and post a superior alternative,

GTA San Andreas, Chinatown Wars, and GTA V

They're the peak of each type of gameplay. GTA V > IV Simply because the game feels better to play and there's more to do, regardless of whether or not you think it's a 'normie' game.

I agree on Chinatown Wars because it's like an upgraded version of the first two in every way.

San Andreas is just Vice City with more content and better mechanics, there's no reason to put Vice City above it just because it's overrated. All GTA games are overrated, or did you forget that they set sales records for the entire industry with every title?

>skyrim re-skinned

Fight me. I have over 500 hours but im not going to outright lie about it to defend it. It's literall cellshaded skyrim with nothing zelda-like at all.

>Star fox - 64, Assault
>assault

My nigger

OP and this guy are full of shit. Here are the true essentials

>Metroid
Zero Mission (for baby's first Metroid)
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime

>Zelda
Ocarina of Time (for baby's first Zelda)
Majora's Mask (completes the basic 3D Zelda experience)
A Link to the Past (to get into 2D Zelda)

Everything else offer different stuff that's not really essential for the series.

fun fact: the first Jak & Daxter was so fucking boring and intolerable that I never even bothered with the sequels, so as far as I'm considering this is perfectly accurate.

>GTA V
>more stuff to do
uh

Correct list. Especially if you're counting the expansions when you say IV. CW is easily better than 1, 2, 1969, 1961 and Advance.

Daxter is legit, fuck you.

Daxter is actually worth checking out, it's got some really fun platforming gameplay.
Jak II and 3 are worth trying at least, there's a lot of stuff that still worked.

>Zero and super
>Cutting out 2, which is pivotal to the babies existence plot wise

You don't just read book 1 and skip to book 3 faggot.

There are fan patches that fix both MGS1 and 2's ports.

This is an objectively better list. Throw TBoGT on there and it's perfect.

Call of duty series:
-

Fire Emblem:
Genealogy of The Holy War
Thracia 776
Path of Radiance
Radiant Dawn
Blazing Sword

V is garbage, it's just a shitty compromise between the design of SA and 4. You may not like 4, but it was hugely ambitious and implemented a lot of simulation elements that had never been part of the series before along with more realistic car handling which personally I prefer though I know a lot of people hate it. GTAV was just shit, boring bland shit. They couldn't even get aiming a gun while driving a car right, something they did pretty decently in 4.