Which MMOs are/were good? Are/were any of them? Never played one before...

Which MMOs are/were good? Are/were any of them? Never played one before. Heard good things about Warhammer Online when it existed, but it's long dead. Also, the first Guild Wars. A friend of mine also says Dungeons & Dragons Online is pretty good, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FrFSDWx82sw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The best MMO is the first one you experienced. It's magical, cherish that memory. Don't chase the feeling, you'll never find it again.

DDO is amazing, it can be hard to understand if you've never played the tabletop before but you'll get use to it. Well worth a try

I can‘t stand these kind of mmo where you‘ll have to managed 100+ skills in a fight.

How does DDO compare to, say, Neverwinter? Also, besides those two, are there any other D&D-licensed MMOs?

How do smaller games like LotRO, DDO, ESO, Age of Conan, etc, compare to the big games like WoW and FF14?

This.

World of Warcraft

it remains the strongest and most popular.

Like Coca-Cola. It might be disgusting and even offensive at times, but you can't resist and you can't deny you love it

Easy choice if you haven't at least tried it. Great community and you're free to pretty much play how you want.

Nah, Maplestory was shit, but it was free and I had a few friends that played.

>when the FPBP strikes the feels

Eve

>it remains the strongest and most popular.
Pretty sure FF14 has more players now.

Prove it

you will call me a fucking casual but the only MMO that I really loved was lord of the rings online.

GW1 is great but it's not really a MMO
I liked the Warhammer MMO, it had some good ideas for PvE and PvP. Never really took off, though

I have no allegiance to either game but pretty sure that's incorrect

The first MMO I played was WoW, and I got bored eventually after lvl 30

This one was god-tier since C3 to Interlude, then it turned into demigod-tier since Kamael until Epilogue, then it turned into complete shit tier starting Freya. HF was somewhat playable but Epilogue was 10 times better.

Currently the game is an unplayable piece of shit, the latest updates that is. Only earlier updates on private servers can be considered as playable.

>WoW Legion sells 3m copies day one
>FFXIV has more players

I really liked it when I played around the beginning of it. It was fun exploring the areas in the Hobbit and LotR trilogy, especially the areas surrounding the Shire.

Black Desert

If your PC can handle it, that is.

I honestly don't think any of them are particularly good and it's partially by necessity. All of them have to include inane amounts of grinding in some way, because otherwise people will be done and bored with the game in a week. The only MMO I enjoyed gameplay-wise was Dofus, because it is turn-based. It used to be free back then in Beta and then I stopped playing as I'm not going to fall for the subscription bullshit. I think MMOs need to focus on the social aspect. Force players to interact with each other. If they don't then they are just mediocre at best online games.

To be fair, WoW is probably sitting way under that right now. Almost every single server is Low pop. I'm willing to bet WoW has maybe 500k active players right now. Next expansion wont sell better than Legion either, it's a sinking ship.

>pulling numbers out of your ass as an argument

BDO makes a nice first impression but quickly falls apart when you start approaching mid-end game. Not to mention the Auction system is garbage and how it handles character progression is completely uneventful and boring. But at least it has a good character creation system for waifu fags.

Common sense and I actually play. Try leaving Goldshire and you'll see just how barren the game is.

I doubt WoW is nearly that low, a reasonable assumption is 1-2m players unless you're one of the people who have preaching that WoW is doomed since Cata.
Regardless, it's different from FFXIV? Compare Stormblood numbers to now, server queues are way, way down and cities aren't nearly as populated. FFXIV has at best maybe 400k active players, and according to fan run census (because SE refuses to share details) has never peaked at anything remotely resembling WoW's peak.

For comparison, SE recently bragged about FFXIV having 10 million accounts worldwide, this includes trial accounts. 10m accounts created ever, Legion sold 3m for $50, it goes to show the massive difference in popularity. They're both sinking imo, but at least Blizzard tries with WoW rather than cutting away content rather than increasing budgets and resorting to server excuses for every fucking suggestion.

Probably because most of the actual content that people play is in raid, dungeon, and battleground instances where you can't see the other players

Anyone who plays WoW seriously should be past the point of collecting frog butts unless they're leveling an alt

Well you have fun with your raid finder and dead PvP. Must be lonely being this delusional in an empty Dalaran.

I'm playing on the 3rd most populated server in the EU and in the evening I'd say WoW gets a lot of players. If you go anywhere near current content, including new legion questlines, there's always tons of people. In some cases up until the point there are literally short queues for quest items here and there. That aside, raid entrances are a lag mess because of how many people are there.

If you asked me how many people are playing WoW every evening I'd say at least around 10k, putting aside new players and alts.

Yeah was fun as fuck close to launch. I ran out of endgame and quit pretty quickly but the early game experience was great.

>that faction imbalance on a PvP server

how do i play this ? explain pls

>PvP server
This shit is dead since BC. There's literally no difference playing on PvE or PvP server, unless you leveling your new character for the very first time (i.e. no friendinvite bonus & dunno about dungeons) you might meet one or two gankers in like 2 months of playing. That's it.

GW if you consider it an MMO, else EVE online even though it's on the decline.

This, that is Guild Wars for me. Now and forever.
youtube.com/watch?v=FrFSDWx82sw

Warhammer Online was pretty disappointing after Dark Age of Camelot. Everything about it was lackluster; smaller keeps, inability to move siege weapons and smaller pvp areas in general to name a few.

Age of Conan was amazing (even more so with the first expansion) but mismanaged, not sure if it's worth playing now.
ESO seems to have a solid playerbase but I hated my time with it, it felt like a generic TES game without the mods to make it good.
I play GW2 myself which is still surprisingly alive despite the content droughts it suffered in the past, I guess the players are very attached to it.

Not sure if it counts as an MMORPG but still had a blast with it

More like they hope that sequel can finally stand up to original.
At least I do...

this.
still active (swg emu) combat is dated now, but still kind of interesting because of how it underpinned by a player economy and player crafted items and player services, offers what no other games do: building and decorating a house, decorate / develop your buildings into shops / cantina / hospitals. build player run cities. build rebel / imperial bases.

does procedural worlds better than no mans sky too.