MOVES THAT ONLY WORK WITH MOTION

>MOVES THAT ONLY WORK WITH MOTION
>downward throw
>upward throw
>spin throw
>homing cap throw

>There are also lighter benefits to using motion, like shaking the Joy-Con or Pro Controller to extend the height of Mario’s jump or speed him up when he captures certain enemies.

>there are indeed some Moons that can only be collected using motion, so if you’re a completionist, yeah, you’re going to want to use it.

What in the fuck? I thought nintendo was over this stupid bullshit. I just lost all interest in this stupid game, was thinking of getting a wii u 2 but now I lost interest. Can't even play it's flagship title as a handheld, must detach controllers for waggling controls, holy shit, only nintendo is this out of touch

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/79kqpk/wall_kicks_and_triple_jumps_will_work_smo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's so people don't play it on cemu with their xbox controller i guess

I played through the whole game in handheld mode just fine. All those other moves are gimmicky extras and unecessary. You don't need to use any of those except maybe the spin throw at very specific instances which you can still do in handheld if you spin Mario and then throw the cap. You can also do the downward throw by throwing right after a ground pound.

You can do the spin throw without motion controls.

ok thats good to hear its not quite as bad but dont you need to do the various hat throws while doing those crazy acrobatic movements in all the videos

Why do they offer the option to turn it off if the game still requires it, it's retarded. Handheld mode is botched because of motion controls.

>It's the most non intrusive motion control experience they've done in years
It's something that could have easily been done with a button press, which makes it exactly the same as all the motion controls they've done.

Half the buttons on the controller are duplicated which makes the whole thing retarded.

>gameplay based on anti-piracy efforts
Epic game design philosophy, Nintenturd

you really don't know what you're talking about and you're just here to shit on the game, aren't you ?

the motion controls have no effects on Mario, you can't jump higher using them, it is used while transformed into an ennemy, like with the frog which can go higher if you shake the controller a bit. It also is used with cappy's moves, but they're super intuitive and don't rely on precision, you just do the motion and the cap does the exact same thing every time even if your trajectory isn't the same each time.

No. The only crazy hat throw I've seen used once in a speedrun race is the upward throw to skip a certain small section and that's one in a thousand. You won't really have to get used to the motion controls unless you want to speedrun the whole game, where you will need to use the extra transformation moves in a few sections to move just a little bit faster.

True, it's a redundant in handheld mode

>you can't jump higher using them, it is used while transformed into an ennemy, like with the frog which can go higher if you shake the controller a bit
listen to yourself

>It also is used with cappy's moves, but they're super intuitive and don't rely on precision
That's not true, all the interesting videos I have seen heavily rely on using cappy to move around quickly

did galaxy have a button to do a spin attack cuz im pretty sure it didnt and everyone loves that game

The only fun thing about mario games is trying to move as fast as possible, that's not possible with motion controls...

It is. In 95% of the game it is. If the other 5% bothers you that much then you are most likely speedrunning the whole game and that means you are playing with time at home. All the race webms you probably saw never use the motion controls.

How did the upward throw help with the section exactly?

You can twirl the stick and then throw the hat to do the spin throw though.

>...
I love concernflagging

Don't blame me for linking reddit when the video started being spread there.
reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/79kqpk/wall_kicks_and_triple_jumps_will_work_smo/

>all this RRRRREEE

But why?

All these moves are ultra gimmicky (except for the spin throw), and in fact you can do some of them (maybe all of them ?) even without motion control.

>downward throw
Just do a ground pound attack and press the Y button
>upward throw
IDK
>spin throw
Do a circle with the stick before launching the cap, (a bit like how you perform a quick spin attack in zelda) though, it's much more practical with motion control on.
>homing cap throw
IDK
>There are also lighter benefits to using motion, like shaking the Joy-Con or Pro Controller to extend the height of Mario’s jump or speed him up when he captures certain enemies.
On all of these situations, just press the Y button instead of shaking the joycons and it will have the same effect.
>there are indeed some Moons that can only be collected using motion, so if you’re a completionist, yeah, you’re going to want to use it.
It's either false or I haven't met any Moon which requires that for the moment (but I'm at about 450 moons, so I'm pretty sure it's not true)

In all honesty, in practice you won't even care for most of these moves BUT, I completely agree with you on the paper.

I'm not everyone, I went into this expecting something on the same level as mario 64 not an imprecise wagglan fest

>temporarily blocked from posting for critizing a nintendo game
holy shit this board is overrun by retarded nintendo fanboys

>On all of these situations, just press the Y button instead of shaking the joycons and it will have the same effect.
You sure?

He's wrong, but motion controls are still unecessary.

Not 100% sure, but still pretty sure. For example while you're climbing a tree or anything, the game will tell you "shake the controller to climb faster". But instead you can just press the Y button and it will have the same effect.

They really should have let the left and right triggers do separate actions like diving or one of them doing the same thing as a shake of the Joy Cons.

Y doesn't work for all transformations. For example, you can jump slightly higher with the frog with motion controls and you can use them to throw a fireball with Bowser.

Well maybe it doesn't work in "all" situations like I stated, but it at the very least works on some of them. Try for yourself.

>(but I'm at about 450 moons
I've done about 550 and still have yet to see a moon that requires motion controls, i'd say the closest it comes to being required is the birds flying over the map but they usually have points low enough to hit them with a normal cap throw.

>game designed for a gimmick console has gimmicks built into it
what a shocker

>not an imprecise wagglan fest
90% of the thread is calling the op out on the fact that 2/4 of the moves can be done without waggling and the game doesn't actually require you to use any of the waggling moves.

Yeah I know, I still agree that the motion controls are completely unecessary to enjoy the game to the fullest but also agree that it is a genuine flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

The joke here is that an emulator would be able to bind the motion to a button which is what the asshats at Nintendo should have done in the first place considering that five buttons aren't even used.

I think one requires the frog's high jump. Doing it just once isn't a big deal though.

There's a moon in forest land that needs you to shake extend the leg man.

dlete this

There is literally nothing wrong with motion controls.

you can extend their legs by pressing A after you extend.

cemu is a wii u emulator, mario oddyssey is not released on wii u

more like 99.9% motion controls are really completely unnecessary. you never need the frog's extra jump height, you can do uproots extra growth by pressing Y+B and cheep cheep's spin attack can be done by pressing Y while holding B or vise versa. spin throw is the only really useful motion command and you can do it by rotating the control stick for a second then throwing the hat. all of the speedrunning jump tricks are just throw cap then dive which doesn't use motion at all.

Try solving this puzzle with the Switch in handheld mode.

Damn, you're right. Just tried to capture a frog and realized I didn't even know it coud perform a super jump...

I genuinely though it worked on every situtions since it worked on some of them... Sorry for my mistake. Though, that's pretty retarded. Even more knowing that half the buttons on your controller have the same functions.

I've seen speedrunners use Bowser's fireball to speed up the last section and the fire ball's spin jump. Can you do those without motion?

you can do spin throw without waggle shit.

but I do agree that they shouldnt have made waggle the optimal control scheme.

Hmm so that's how you get that one, i honestly didn't know about the high jump, i guess 1 is required then.

By fire ball I mean the monster in the lava in Luncheon (I forgot the name).

Those puzzles are extremely easy.

You can shake the whole consloe in handheld mode to do frog high jumps and lava mario speed jumps. Also climbing shit and other stuff. Y'all need to stop whining and just play the damn game.

>you can use them to throw a fireball with Bowser.
FUCK I didn't know this. Now I have to play the ending again.

Not when you can't see the screen because your Switch is upside down.

you know you don't have to flip the maze over right? you can totally just solve that puzzle the normal way in handheld mode.

I don't understand tho. Dolphin has compatibility with the wiimote

Even if you aren't going so far as to block the screen, it's not comfortable rocking or shaking the screen you're trying to watch.
Motion controls are beyond stupid in handheld mode.

You'd just lift it over your head.

yeah speedrunning is going to require you to use the optimal controller and optimal language version of the game. this has been the case for every speedrun since the dawn of speedrunning. if you want you can try to start a "no wagglan" category of speedrun, they'd probably even do it because that community loves their categories.

99.9% of odyssey's content can be done without motion controls, that doesn't mean it can't be done faster with them.

Does anyone know if the last boss rematch includes the escape sequence? I still need like 150 moons to unlock it.

man those goalposts just seem to have legs of their own. you asked if you could solve the puzzle, you can.

>Who cares if it isn't fun or comfortable just do it
Goddamn don't try so hard to defendo Nintendo.

I think I see the one you're talking about, but I'm almost sure I got it without the super jump. But even then, the motion controls are still activated even in handheld mode, so even if it's dumb you can still shake your whole Switch for that moon.

I don't think there is someone who will disagreee with you about the stupidity of these controls, but it's really a non-issue when you're playing the game. If you liked other Mario titles, you should definitely give Odyssey a try, it's really good. Of course it's not perfect, but clearly, this "motion control problem" is not a real issue.

IMO that maze puzzle makes a lot more sense and is also easier in handheld because it almost feels like you are actually holding the maze in your hand. But I guess that's just me.

>listen to yourself
Yes, you can't jump higher as MARIO, you don't need tight controls while being a frog a hammer brother that will just throw hammer faster using motion controls, it doesn't affect the core gameplay with Mario

>rely on using cappy to move around quickly
And that is done by pressing the Y button to throw cappy and holding it to let it hover in position, even if you threw it with motion controls

I did the whole game without using motion controls, it's perfectly feasible, moons that use them are practically non existent and are the easiest shit to obtain in the game

There are a few that need motion controls, the one that pissed me off was needing to use a bullet bill and shake to be able to reach a place in time.

what the fuck does how comfortable it is have to do with your original question? My motive isn't defending nintendo, my motive is calling you out for asking a stupid question. in this case defending nintendo is incidental.

when i played BOTW i actually was playing in handheld mode at that part, but like you said it wasn't very comfortable, so i changed my switch to tabletop mode and used the motion controls to flip over the maze just like your webm. I personally didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Hammer brothers throwing hammers faster with motion controls is just a meme. Spamming Y works just as well.
Same thing with punching Bowser but damn does it feel good to waggle when doing that.

you can do all of these without motion controls

You mean the moon in the sand kingdom where you have to break a box far away? I actually did that one without motion controls because I completely forgot about them. I lured the bullet bill away to the absolute last moment before he exploded in the air and then captured him, speeding away until I reached the box.

How ?

>Love the Galaxy games to death
>Only problems with them was low resolution and mandatory waggle
>Odyssey has MORE waggle than Galaxy
Kill me, Pete.

beat the game collected every star only used pro controller. You don't need to use motion controls

didn't mean to quote

You can do the downward throw and the spin throw without motion controls, there might be someway to do the upward throw and homing cap throw too.
Also, with a pro controller, the motion controls feel great, just a slight little tilt to get what you want. Feels like an extra button, rather than some Wii thing.

Can you disable motion control and still use the joy wands?

>$70 to play the game

It's a real shame because they have so many buttons that they don't utilize (X, A, L and ZL), it didn't have to be this way. All so you can play the game with a single joycon.

Thankfully it isn't more than a small annoyance.

It didn't even need to be the left or right triggers, X and A do the same actions as Y and B for some reason. Should've made one of them a dedicated dive button.

Cemu is not a Switch emulator, BotW is a Wii U game.

I mean beyond the transformations, you can climb faster holding X/Y and there's shortcuts for rolls, etc. that otherwise need motion controls.