VR Thread

Sup Sup Forums can anyone tell me the difference between the Rift and the HTC Vive ?

I really want to buy one yes sure i fell for the BR meme i know i know but still

which one is better and why ?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/587430/I_Expect_You_To_Die/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

vr is a scam tbqh

htc vive for a better overall experience and tracking

and if you have retarded expectations or dont know what you will be doing with it dont buy it

Sup Forums in general is too fucking poor to give advice on VR.

Rift looks a bit better and the headstraps are a more comfortable, also their motion controllers are more ergonomic.

On the other hand the VIVE has room scale, meaning you can walk around your room without any problems, the rift is mainly a seated or standing experience.

The biggest difference is whether you want to sucks valve's penis or facebook's. Also, steam is rift friendly but vive store isn't rift friendly. Not that it matters, there's no real games for vr anyway.

>rift store isn't vive friendly

I love my Vive, but its not something you can buy and expect to be playing your life action pewpew shooters with ala Star Trek.

It's really one of those things that you use for a lot of cool cheaper experiences like TheBlu and stuff, and the occasional cool zombie shooter like Arizona Sunshine.

and of course being able to walk around a nude gigantes Lara Croft looking down on you as you.. eh.. enjoy VR.

Worth it if you can spare the money, its really a great experience albeit a limited one when it comes to choice of apps/games.

theres tons of games

now if you are a underage faggot who is only satisfied witg AAA games like call of duty and assassins creed then yeah you won't find pleasure in VR right now.

Robot Recall looked seriously gnarly but it's an artificial rift exclusive and you need a workaround in vive

mostly my friend just plays as an anime girl in vr chat now instead of playin games

Oculus Rift + Touch controllers is gonna go for $350 on Black Friday on Newegg, you guys literally have no excuse not to get one by then.

i Think i might take advantage of the vive being bundled with a discounted 1080

i need to upgrade anyway

Actually, I really just want a good first person dungeon crawler.

vive for better tracking and roomscale. oculus headsets seem to have a tilt hardware issue on a significant minority of units. vive controllers break very easily.

I really enjoy Vanishing Realms myself.

VR needs good adventure games mostly, it's perfect for exploration puzzlers

shit like myst in vr would be literally perfect, teleportation isn't even weird there

I'd like to see puzzle games.
If you're familier at all with those single screen mario maker levels I think that would be a really good genre for VR roomscale.
a single room puzzle.

>Posts a picture of PSVR
Kill yourself.

Like room escapes?

I hear I Expect You to Die is a good room escape game for VR.

I don't know what that is i'll have to look into it

The Talos principle VR
Superhot VR

So the VR HMD that actually sold unlike Vive or Rift?

>Run Ocean Rift
>Position it so that player is outside the shark cage when it loads
>Let sister experience VR
>shark tries to get around the cage to bite her
>she's screaming
>Hold her so she can't take the Vive off.
>Her kid is laughing his little ass off

fun times.

The future proof route is vive. The vive is more modular and offers addons like vive trackers that can track objects feet/elbows/hips/keyboards/ etc. Wireless modules. You can also get the deluxe vive strap to make it more comfortable. There's also a version of the vive that is lighter if iirc. Vive also has superior tracking (less laggy movement) and better roomscale (tracking in a larger area). Oculus does have a better resolution and better controls, however vive is getting better controls that can detect fingers through simply touching the controller (i.e. pointing, pinkie out, middle finger, hand gestures in general). Last, by supporting vive over oculus, you contribute to the more open nature/technology of vr development. Vive shares their technology with people thereby helping competition as well as innovation.

All of this said, there is something that is better than the Vive and the Oculus. It's called Pimax 4k/5k/8k/8k X. Essentially, it offers complete compatability to vive stuff (controllers, trackers, etc.). Offers modules for eye tracking, scent, fans, wireless, etc. Wider fov display (moving your eyes and still can't see the border) with a 4k resolution per eye (upscaled in 8k; native in 8kX) (Pimax 4k/5k are similar but for 2k). It's an open platform like the vive. It also either removes or mitigates the screen door effect (TESTED's version is an older prototype). However, there are some concerns. 8k (needs 1060/70+) and 5k release in febuary or early spring/8k X (needs a 1080TI or Volta) releases later. Still working on making the refresh rate to a stable 90 (currently at 85). Still in development and is Chinese. Good news is that they have a guarantee in their production, kickstarter reached over 3 million (biggest vr funded), and many people regularly test the 8k prototypes.

The final option is to wait for second generation vr, but that is not coming any time soon by all accounts for vive or oculus.

the myst spiritual successor obduction is also in VR

room escapes are just a genre of puzzle in flash games (and now exist as real life entertainment where you can pay to get into one, usually with a time limit to keep things moving along) where you start locked in a room and have to find a way out somehow usually by solving puzzles within

>My friends call me Coach

oh I see. I thought you were recommending a game called room escape which prompted me to go look on steam and it looks like some indie devs have been making vr games like you described.
so I guess that's a small genre I can look into

i think room escapes are a fairly narrow application of the idea of single room puzzles in VR, though

you could probably do more

store.steampowered.com/app/587430/I_Expect_You_To_Die/

something physics based is what I was thinking.
like the incredible machine vr.

They both have room scale. The basic Rift package now includes the Touch controllers and a pair of tracking cameras.

With that said, the Vive has more consistent room-scale tracking and a slightly wider field of view, and is lighter. Though really they're close enough that the Rift is best for the price, unless you don't want a pair of Facebook-owned always-on cameras in your house.