Post your Odyssey complaints

post your Odyssey complaints
>not enough to do with the t-rex
>interesting capturable enemy types were too separated, no uproot + wiggler world for example
>dark side and darker side were lame and felt totally out of place, game is all about the capture mechanic and sandbox levels and these were linear as fuck and barely used the capture
>capture in general felt under explored
>lake kingdom exists
>some places had weak music though many tracks were excellent

mostly I'm just annoyed that they didn't do more with capturing stuff. Saving that for Odyssey 2 I guess. I really think there's gonna be one.

Its literally perfect you sonyger

kys, saged and reported

Anyone else wondering if Odessey started out as a kirby game and changed in development to make it more marketable to Nintendos mario fans

Forced joycon interactions are the worst.

>capture in general felt under explored

nice false flag, I'm not shitting on the game it's fantastic doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws

Darker Side being easier than Dark Side.
Dark Side having 9 out 25 moons that are just picture hints.
Most boss fights were disappointing (besides the broodal mech) especially how easy the Dragon is when his appearance is so good.

oh yea I for got to add
>not enough to do in ruined kingdom
to the list

I really think they intended to let you capture the dragon at one time and that's why he stays there like that after the fight. Come on DLC/Odyssey 2

>Cappy explaining the control during the voyage is annoying af
>ruined kingdom and bowser's castle are wasted potential

What happens on darker side? I havent gone there yet

I wish it had something like 3D land's system of just going through and beating dozens and dozens platform levels.

>you never capture a Boo
>you never capture a Koopa
>you never capture a Toad
>you never capture Peach

>bowsers castle
>wasted
this was the best bowsers castle ever, also expanded the lore since now we know bowser is a weeb

>no options to turn hints off
>getting that one Moon that Cappy misplaced being so conditional when you should be able to just ground-pound it
>Luncheon Kingdom looks like shit
>Forced Joycon interactions
>No reward for collecting all the Moons
>Bowser's Weeaboo Castle was too open and free
>Mario rolls instead of sliding on the slide

Capturing wasn't very fun, everything felt stiff. Playing as Mario was way more fun that anything you could capture

>luncheon kingdom

What the hell happened? The rest of the game looks great but it looks like an hd ps1 game

>Too short storywise
>Too easy
>Graphics could, I guess, be better

Honestly though, it's pretty damn fun and interesting. It's the new Mario game, and it does not falter at that. Makes me want to try some of the older ones I missed. I hope they re-release some for the Switch, honestly.

they might, I think those 3DS Zelda remakes did well. I could see them doing the with Mario and Zelda on switch. Easy money.

Or at least a kingdom like that.

Its the artstyle of the level?

The enemies and NPCs still have very high polycounts you should just say its not consistent in how it presents itself.

My main gripe is how samey moons can feel (make the gombah fall in love, use the flying lizard to reach a far off area, etc) and how short Darker Side was.

I think Odyssey is a better Mario game than BotW is a Zelda game though.

>dark side and darker side were lame and felt totally out of place, game is all about the capture mechanic and sandbox levels and these were linear as fuck and barely used the capture
This is kind of a beef with me. 3D World perfectly conditions the player to prepare for Champion's Road, so even though it's hard it's also a blast. Darker Side wants you to relearn how you've approached everything in the game. It also further enforced that linear levels are way more interesting and fun even when the entire game is built from the ground up for sandbox exploration.

It started as a Mario game, they said the capture mechanic was one of many ideas and it worked so well they used it.

The really good, difficult stuff doesn't come until the absolutely final postgame event. Playing the Darker Side was a ton of fun and really challenging but when I was finished, that was it. No more extra fun shit for me.

Until the DLC of course.

>Most capture abilities are hardly expanded upon. Pretty much everything that isn't a Goomba or a Bullet Bill is really only used once or twice. I want to use Bowser / Yoshi / Paragoomba / Charging Chuck / Parabones / Uproot / Chain Chomp / Moe-Eye / Glydon more.
>Most capture abilities just exist to pad out the capture list. Three versions of Chain Chomps, forms of transportation (Taxi, Rocket, Spark, Zipper), or things that hardly do anything, and only have one use (Cactus, Tree, Meat Slab, Puzzle Blocks, Mario Stickers, Goomba Stickers, Rock, Manhole, Bowser Statue, Pole).
>Lack of interesting capture targets. No Peach, no Toad, no Boo, no regular Dry Bones, no Boomerang Bro, no Koopas, etc.
If there's an Odyssey 2, I want them to expand on capture a whole lot more. It's pretty obvious that it was an after thought, because it wasn't featured once in the original trailer or the Switch reveal video.
>The fact that the Ruined Kingdom was pretty fucking obviously meant to be something much more really pisses me off. Parabones, Charging Chucks, and Banzai Bills would've all fit fantastically here, but they just awkwardly all pop up at the end because Ruined Kingdom got shafted.
>The post game worlds are fucking jokes. A boss rush, a few previous levels but with no hat, and an extremely easy challenge gauntlet are piss poor compared to what Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and 3D World had to offer.
>Forced waggling controls. It's fucking mind boggling why this was even in the game in the first place. No one wants this shit Nintendo, especially not in handheld mode.
Phenomenal game, but nothing is ever perfect.

Literally all of the motion actions could have been mapped to a button/button combination. Also, the dive should be mappable to a button considering the game only uses 3.

(You)

The capture potential is why i think we will get an expansion similar to Galaxy 2.

You use chargin chuck for the inner moon section and one other challenge level.

You also NEVER have to capture a fire piranha plant despite the game allowing you to and i never knew that until i already beat the game.

I just wish Lake Kingdom was bigger. It's the least consequential level.

>hating on lake kingdom
Sad. The whole area is designed like a wedding dress motif, down to the detail of the sunbeams passing through the surface which looks like rippled fabric. Plus the music makes it one of the comfiest zones imo.

the fuck? stop doing hard drugs

That doesn't make it fun

Darker side is good. You have to capture stretch guy and fireball

You absolutely do to get some of the moons.

Hammer/fire bro are koopas
Bowser is a koopa (kang)

too many banal moons is my only one, I have no idea what significance the number 880 has to nintendo but it was completely unnecessary

also your capture complaint is ridiculous, uproots in particular absolutely get explored, the concept is taken many different places and gets a logical conclusion

You capture a fire piranha plant in Luncheon Kingdom to light two torches on fire for a moon.

it did for me.

Nintendo game development starts out very abstract, they probably started with "Mario throws thing", then everything expanded and capturing just made sense

You dont have to do that. I capped a fireball and jumped off that high area to light them w him.

you don't do anything interesting with them though

I don't think it was an after thought but I think they made the choice to prioritize variety over just drilling down on one idea which is more what Miyamoto would do. They cared more about the number of things you could capture than about making them interesting.

I'm pretty convinced there will be a Odyessy 2 though because of this.

idk about that last point user my experience was
>get to darker side
>start feeling burnt out on the game
>beat it and go back to exploring
>suddenly everything's fun again
I think it proved the opposite

>motion controls when you have so many duplicate buttons
>repetitive bosses (the same 4 fucking rabbits and then bowser twice)
>2D portions dont seem too interesting
>Puzzle rooms not really challenging

I dunno what it is about this game but it doesnt feel as freeform as sunshine or 64. Still a pretty great game though

>2D portions dont seem too interesting
I disagree with this one. I mean I'd love to see more of them but I really think they implemented these very well. How far are you? There's some very interesting ones near the end.

My headcanon from watching a bunch of gameplay is that Mario Odyssey is some dude at Nintendo basically giving a giant middle finger to all the 3D Sonic games. They're going "fuck you, we're going to take literally every trope and idea you've ever used and make it actually good".

>Mario has a homing attack equivalent (hat dive/hat auto-target), spin dash + rolling physics, and bounce jump
>Odyssey successfully incorporates medieval fantasy and doesn't make it overstay its welcome, unlike Black Knight and 06 which fucked it up hard
>Odyssey's metro city is better-executed, has less uncanny-valley humans, and actually feels like you're going around a huge city instead of a glorified padded-wall hubworld like in Adventure or 06
>Odyssey is a synonym for Adventure and the name is structured identically
>Odyssey is tactful with its constant hint placement instead of badgering you with constant voiceovers and repetition like Sonic games, especially Heroes
>Odyssey executes its moon and underwater stages much better than the equivalent exploration stages in Adventure 2. Especially Mad Space and Meteor Herd.
>the Bowser segment near the end is like a better-executed version of the werehog sections of Unleashed and doesn't overstay its welcome
>taking control of a tank is a way more engaging version of Adventure 2's mech, giving you the option to actually aim and strafe, while giving you the option to get normal running and jumping physics back if you need them
>hunting for treasure, while integrated throughout the whole game, is actually fun and lets you go at your own pace. No obligatory mandated order for moons, and a much better hint system if you need stuff to find.
>there's a cool buttrock song in the last playable scene of the game

I'm sure there's some other shit I'm missing but I refuse to believe otherwise.

Are you me? This game was the ultimate humiliation of sonic I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that

ive beaten the game and am trying to collect 500 moons for the secret ending.
The 2D portions just feel like stuff I've seen already plus 3D mario is just way more fun to control.

>No drybones
Looks like someone didn't beat/play the game

I wasn't really thinking it was 'humiliating' sonic, but I also did get a lot of 3D sonic vibes out of Odyssey.

>Can't turn off control prompts
>Lake Kingdom was pretty boring and lost kingdom could've been a bit bigger
>The amount of moons needed to progress is too low so you don't really feel like you've earned opening up the next kingdom

>2d portions aren't interesting
>Puzzles aren't challenging
>Constant threads bitching about pic related
>It's too easy until it's too hard!!!

Not him but if you ask me the only two good ones are the one in the well and the extra one on the moon with planetoids.

There's also the NDC Festival but that's not so much a great level as it is an extremely happy one.

i feel that yoshi had a lot of potential for more levels but they only use him like 3 times i like holding Y and let yoshi run around on circles and build up speed

>every small kingdom is linear in design with some giant structure to walk to
>open world kingdoms are too spacious with nothing going on between them
>level design in general feels very segmented, like each section has a designated spot rather than a natural placement (this only really feels good in New Donk since everything is so angular)
>floating voids everywhere
>Mushroom Kingdom stage doesn't give you a kart/bike to drive instead of a scooter

havent seen that one. should clarify by saying in general they arent too interesting. im gonna go try that one out

Regardless of the intention, I think it's safe to say that it executed a lot of ideas that Sonic did, but significantly better.
The thing that really gets me though is that the rolling physics in Odyssey really capture the spirit of older Sonic games a lot better than Sonic ever did, excluding Mania.

Sega missed the point with making Sonic fast. It's not just about cranking up the speed he runs at and expecting the game to still be functional, it's about how he interacts with the stages. Rolling up and down ramps and catapulting yourself around in a controlled fashion is awesome because it takes some finesse and really puts you in control of the movement. Having glorified cutscenes where you don't do anything but hold up for 3 seconds isn't impressive after the first five times, and they did it several hundred across several games. Having uncontrollably fast constant movement (Shadow in general, 06's Mach Speed sections) is even worse and doesn't actually give you a sense of speed, just hopeless flailing.

Maybe I'm just on my own here, but the Luncheon Kingdom felt like it was missing something. It was missing a Giant Hamburger that Mario could be launched into and take a giant bite out of, or maybe eat his way through, forming a tunnel to explore the rest of the Giant Hamburger with. I know it's not really fare of me to judge the game like that, but when I saw the name "Luncheon Kingdom", a Giant Hamburger immediately sprang to mind and I was a little disappointed the developers missed that obvious cue to add a truly special moment to a kingdom that was already pretty good.

I get the feeling that a lot of the levels in this game were trying to put a unique twist on any style that had already worn out its welcome. The tutorial level is dark and mysterious instead of being bright and cheery, the real first level is a grass level but in a prehistoric/exotic setting, the sand level is initially frozen over, the forest level is also mechanical, etc. Luncheon Kingdom was taking the obligatory volcano/lava stage and trying out a completely new aesthetic and theme on similar gameplay.

I wouldn't mind seeing that, but they wanted a way to twist a fiery level into something new, and an enormous bowl of boiling stew fit the bill nicely.

>the average american mario fan

For me
>Hint art and hidden warps between worlds feel like filler Stars and it's retarded that hint art has you saving them via your fucking system's photo gallery
>Amiibos being the only way to find purple coins without looking them up is retarded
>Minigames like Volleyball and Jump Rope are unnecessary in a game loaded with content

I still liked the level, it was pretty neat, but I was progressing through it thinkign "Man, when is that Giant Hamburger showing up?". I don't know where I got the idea it would be in the game but I felt it could have been the finishing touch to the level.

Literally this.
Its like their reply Lost World being a Galaxy Clone
Shat on Sonics entire 3D catalogue.

Sonic Mania>2D Mario

yeah just beat it. kept flipping my controls during the circular area with the weird black critters otherwise i wouldve finished earlier. of the 2d levels that one's pretty good.

Yeah they struck gold here, I hope there is an Odyssey 2, or we get DLC at the very least.
>Lake Kingdom, Lost Kingdom, and Snow Kingdom were too small
>Inside Peach's Castle was boring
>Mushroom Kingdom should have had more obstacle course areas, too chill imo
>no way to change settings in the Kingdoms (ex. night for Sand, mid-day for Seaside)
>some enemies, like Boos and Bob-ombs, would have been good to include as captures
>post-game reward Kingdoms weren't worth it (Dark Side and Darkers Side (should have been one Kingdom with a new Kingdom as final reward))
I think that's about it so far. Most of my complaints is that things weren't as large as they should have been. It sucks going from large Kingdoms to smaller ones.

What is it with 3D Mario and making eels abnormally creepy and realistic by Mario standards? They've even got cutesy-ass Cheep Cheeps and other cute sea life in the same areas, but if there's an eel it's a hideous monstrosity. Does Miyamoto have an eel phobia or something?

Its because people were freaked out by it in Mario 64. They didn't make them very scary in Galaxy, though

I agree with everything you said. I feel like what I really what I wanted with the game is gonna be found in Odyssey 2. It was a fine game but damn it felt like it only scratched the surface of its potential.

>no regular drybones

lern 2 reed

>trying to collect 500 moons for the secret ending
Prepare to be seriously disappointed for wasting your time.

>Delfino is clearly placed on the globe model next to the mushroom kingdom but has no texture
>Is covered up by clouds on the world map
>People still dont think Delfino is DLC

>long journey's end is short and easy compared to champions road and grandmaster galaxy, and not even a completion bonus, leaving the actual completion bonus to just be a dum cutscene
>enemies rarely feel like obstacles and instead are just mechanics to solve a puzzle, even some of the non capturable enemies are there to help you rather than try to block you from your goal
>bosses are overall lackluster, with some highlights, mostly just modified boom booms repeated over and over (broodals), repeated bosses (mama broodal fought 3 times). overall dissapointing after the galaxy series
>no true boss rush, all boss refights are seperated across the mushroom kingdom, instead we get a boom boom boss rush
>lack of longer linear segments similar to sunshines fluddless segments, instead we get these short and easy little challenges without cappy.
>while cappy seems to be a more natural extension of mario compared to something like fludd, i found myself relying on throwing and diving onto the hat as a crutch and using it more than any other ability in the game (never really needed to use the triple jump or side flip at all when i can just wall jump, throw cappy and dive)
>while motion controls can be turned off, better versions of all your abilities are locked to them, some stars being impossible to get without them
>a good amount of the moons are just lying around and the game can be completed just by getting these moons. while i understand that this is a comprimise so that babs wont just piss their pants and stop playing, assist mode is also present for the same reason, i think one or the other would suffice, but both exist at the same time
>lack of challenging 2d sections aside from the one in the mushroom kingdom, though the weird 360 gracity in that section was kinda bullshit since such a thing has never been remotely encountered before that point. in fact the 2d was completely absent from long journey's end
>peach confirmed not thick

Don't be so salty!
criticism improves everything!

>he looked up how to get collectables in a collectathon

why you even playing

finding all the purple coin is one of the more satisfying challenges of the game

>hint art was dumb. some of it was clever and fun but the rest was just figure out where poochy is in the picture and go there. i imagine it exists to ensure that switch user understand that the system has a screenshot feature keeping up with a trend that mario games teach casuals how to use the nintendo system and play other nintendo games.

not him but looking up a guide for something isn't as frustrating as not having it after I've already scoured the whole world and lost track of where I checked, or racked my brain as hard as I could trying to solve a puzzle and still being lost
don't get me wrong, I still fucking hate having to look stuff up and feeling like I'm a retarded failure but I have an obsessive need to get everything and I can't move on until I do
I don't have fun going over the world aimlessly looking for the one tiny cranny I missed or bashing my head against a wall for a puzzle when I'm likely not even thinking in the proper way to solve it
maybe it makes me stupid and pathetic, sure feels that way, but when I try my hardest on my own and get to the point where all I have is frustration that I can't figure something out or find something I crack because I can't stand not having it at all
I would likely never figure it out on my own at that point anyway, and if I did it would likely be by sheer accidental luck and all the time prior I would be extremely bothered by not having or solving it yet when I know it's still there

>GAME IS TOO EASY!
>*looks things up in guide*

Shut up Wooby, go be adorable somewhere else