At what point did Sonic's "friends" become too much?

At what point did Sonic's "friends" become too much?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/934472087313506304
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chaotix

When they obsess over friendship. Friendship isn't Magic by the way

delet

Same.

/thread

nu-Chaotix are the absolute worst

Heroes, but for the wrong reasons. Having all the players play like Sonic at the base level should be a good thing, but it really hammered home how bland Sonic was and is part of the reason fans were seriously hammering Sega to give Sonic a gun, since going fast doesn't matter anymore when even Big the fucking Cat can run about as fast as Sonic and hit as hard Knuckles through the power of retard strength. Or having Espio be the same as Sonic, but also have the ability to go invisible.

That was also the dark ages where Sonic became Megaman X and was sidelined in his own series.

Remove Blaze and Cream and that's as big as it should be

The problem with Sonic's friends isn't the characters, but their gameplay.

A majority of people dislike Big, because of the fishing gameplay you had to play in Sonic Adventure 1, if you wanted to get to fight Perfect Chaos with Super Sonic. But people received Blaze well, because she basically played like Sonic with minor differences in her debut game, like how Tails and Knuckles did back in the Classic games.

How many friends does mainline Mario have?

>Keep
Sonic
Tails
Eggman
Knuckles
Shadow
Rouge
>Delete
Everyone else

There, I fixed Sonic's cast.

They never were. Sega is retarded and thinks that Sonic 06 failed because too many playable characters.
That's why for the last 10years until forces, Sonic was only playable.

>no vex
Big mistake, pal.

Sorry bud, but he's right. Although he should have just said Blaze only since she attracts all the dumb waifufaggots.

Sonic Adventure 1 in all honesty. Most people were asking for a Sonic origins story not a rainbow festival with random play styles. I would actually be fine with all of those characters as NPCs but each one playing so differently was a real turn off.

That’s why I like what they were doing with Unleashed and Colors; keeping the cast to a bare minimum of who is and isn’t necessary for the story instead of meeting a quota of cheerleaders in the game.

>No Omega
Shit taste

Not OP but off the top of my head for the main overall recurring characters, you have Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr. Koopalings (7), Kamek, Daisy, Rosalina, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi, (Captain)Toad, Toadette, and DK.

>anybody wanting to drop Vex

he's the only character that DOESN'T just look like a recolor of sonic. Somebody had to put effort into designing that guy

Keep Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Team Dark, Blaze and Chaotix minus Charmy. There.

Can’t have Shadow and Rouge without Omega, they’re like the best trio in the franchise. The Chaotix should stay too, but as a team and not individuals like in Generations and Forces.

He's also JSR as hell

If Sonic Boom was a good game instead of that shitty disaster that would be the perfect Sonic cast.

I think Forces cast is the perfect cast
If they keep Silver hope they get a good explanation for that

Ever played Mario Kart?

Intresting posts about the value of Sonic's role in his own series
I also find it weird that only Sonic can do anything in the newest games

>No metal Sonic
Side not, notice how Sonic characters fit well in pairs or teams?

>implying Metal Sonic is a friend
I absolutely love him though

They were never too much. The extended cast is at the perfect size. They just don't get to do anything anymore because every critic parroted the same shit about them in 2006 and Sonic Team has major communication issues with how they listen to criticism.

Eggman is on that list but he’s not a friend

This.

And also this.

No, but Sonic Boom Show is perfect example of why Sonic has to stop taking itself too seriously. The friends are actually likeable in the show.

You don't get to bring friends

>Friendship isn't Magic by the way
Stop baiting here, savage.

Good post

>That was also the dark ages where Sonic became Megaman X and was sidelined in his own series.
I was thinking this same comparison just a little while ago in another thread

>Sonic = Megaman
>Loved for their classic gameplay
>Start changing shit for no reason
>Sonic R/3D Blast/etc = Megaman 8/&Bass/etc
>First step into the "modern" era
>Sonic Adventure = Megaman X
>Both have "good" things about them, some bad things as well
>Later sequels
>Jumps the shark with stupid ideas/over arching plots that never goes anywhere
>Sonic Adventure 2-Shadow = Megaman X 4-6/7
>Hits the bed with something so shit no one wants to play the series anymore/wakes up to the bullshit moment
>Sonic 06 = Megaman X 6/7
>Finally, they also make a game that focus more on the anti hero instead of main character thanks to retarded underaged fanboys
>Shadow the Hedgehog = Zero series
>Both shit the bed with over-convoluted plots/unfinished story elements
>Series goes silent
>Series is "revived" by pandering to nostalgia
>Sonic 4/Mania/etc = Megaman 9/10
>For better or worse people were happy "X character is back"
>Neo dev team have no idea what the fuck made those eras of games and starts to stagnate
>Sonic Lost World/Forces = Megaman 10?
>Somewhere along the line they try to "reboot" the series to appeal to a new audience
>Sonic Boom = Mighty No. 9
>It blows up in their faces, going back to square one

Why are the Japs so shit at making long running game series? Why do they always fall for the "make edgy character of main protagonist the main focus then make spinoff series of said character, killing the fuck out of the main character's series in return" every time? It's retarded.

It's the big contrast from 2D Sonic to 3D, since the old 2D games had slightly different things that made each character unique, while the 3D games make it obvious that Sonic is the dullest element in his own game. Forces suffers from this as well, since they had to make Classic a walking brick for some reason that is horribly unfun to play as in forced 2D segments, while Modern Sonic is outshined by the avatar that can do everything but boost with more variety and better options, yet the avatar can do forced boost segments with Modern Sonic as well. That means that Modern Sonic in his own game is just a stripped down version of the avatar's gameplay, despite being touted as the main star with people constantly going "WE NEED SONIC FOR THIS! WHO ELSE CAN OPEN THIS JAR OF CHAOS PICKLES!?!" or whatever. The entire game they scream this while the avatar can run fast, has a homing attack, and can clear out hundreds of Eggman robots while still finishing a stage in about a minute or so, which makes it more obvious of how unneeded Sonic is by this point in his own franchise.

Sonic's gimmicks are to go fast and have an attitude, and outside of Unleashed & Generations, he's never been too successful with the first and usually falls flat on his face with the latter due to writing. Then you have stuff like Tails who can fly, can invent stuff, as well as fly Sonic's plane, or Knuckles with his supposed to be lower jump but also has a mystical aspect that was basically dropped after the Adventure series and can tear the level apart with his raw strength or gliding + climbing to get to things nobody else can. Sonic's like the Super Mario in comparison to the power ups when it boils down to it, and people rather be Raccoon Mario or Hammer Mario instead of regular ol Mario when it comes to remembering how fun the gameplay can be.

I'd say Chaotix was a step in the right direction by distancing parts of the cast from Sonic, since a large cast overpowers Sonic presence.

My theory is that edgy characters work better as rivals rather than main characters.

Betweeen the period where Heroes was released and 06 was released I think. They are not a problem but during that time, many people attributed the mediocrity of the games due to their presence rather than the development times or awful gameplay ideas.

Can't say I payed much attention to the Megaman X series after 4, but Sonic Team kept on throwing darts at a wall with Rings/Knight/Unleashed/(Lost world after generations) until something stuck which was Unleashed's day levels used in colors and Generations the highest rated 3D sonic games?
Did Megaman have that phase?

>If they keep Silver hope they get a good explanation for that
Play Rivals

I heard the last bit of the Megaman X series was better than 6 and 7, but generally, the last bit of "good in their own ways" Megaman games were the Battle Network series and that ZX series? Other than people having a nostalgia boner for Legends (I'm slightly guilty of this myself) that's about it.

No one's against new villains right?

Would have loved to seen the original version they had planned for Mania, where the Heavies were going to do things while Eggman was depressed. Imagining Eggman coming out to do like Green Hill Act 3's overdone boss battle in a beat up Egg-O-Matic that falls apart with only four hits instead of eight and just having Eggman kind of zoned out while the Heavies bail him out would have been neat. Or just some crappy inventions early on that are clearly poorly made and improve to the Titanic Monarch at the end where Eggman's really feeling it again and out of his slump due to the Heavies making headway over Sonic and pals throughout the game.

If anything, new villains tend to be a high point in the series since they work out quite well almost every time.

The Heavies were dope. No complaints here.

The guy before they introduced Tails

The friends were never the issue, it was the way they were implemented.

Sanic game when?
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/934472087313506304

You lost me as soon as you compared Shadow to the Zero games user

Sonic 2.

What about him?

Didn't say Zero's games were shit, persay, moreso they are anti heroes to the main characters and supported thanks to fans to get games staring them.

How to make Sonic's friends tolerable
Make them playable and be fun to play as

there just to many of them. it feels like the hardly exists or do anything worthwhile.

They still really aren't comparable situations and I'd say your points there are fairly flimsy on both sides, but whatever, it's too early to care about such things either way

Sonic 06 was the tipping point with the addition of Silver.

when sega stopped making them playable and is only there as NPC