Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece in game design

Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece in game design

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/18899042/The_Legend_of_Zelda__Breath_of_the_Wild_v1.3.0
reddit.com/r/CemuPiracy/comments/73oq6r/updated_botw_setup_guide/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

mechanics: the game

Every week there's a new webm for this game that makes me question my creativity. It looks pretty bleak for me at this point.

I really do wonder how many of these are intended by the developers versus a side-effect of their "chemistry engine"

> not gud enough to replicate this in my playthrough

Granted I just started the game, but still hurts man.

this. BoTW feels like a tech demo. What they need to do is take the good parts of the mechanics and put them into a better crafted game.

Half-life 2 is a masterpiece in game design

it's literally just a shitty tech demo

Just beat the game yesterday. Jesus Christ what a disappointment. All that bullshit for "thank you link, You are de hero of hyrule!" (roll credits)

>save the entire world from destruction
>have to buy your own house with rupees

Mechanics does not equal game design. BotW is a good game but it is far from a masterpiece. From the very beginning it trips over itself by giving the player their ultimate toolset for ten minutes of effort, negating vast room for potential in working around the varied environments.

This is my GOTY 2017 without even thinking about it but i have to agree with the anons saying that it feels a little bit like a tech demo. Its obvious that they spent the most development time on the engine. The game still has tons of content which many people overlook but it has even more thats lacking (enemy variety, no dungeons, etc.) Still a solid game that you can easily spent a hundred hours on. Cant wait for the next one which is confirmed to use the same engine. So this time they can concentrate solely on the content and bring the first true 10/10.

The joke is that both of them are garbage games made to show off a physics engine?

The one in OP is clearly unintended
Notice how the boomerang stops spinning but the spin effect continues

both are good games only BECAUSE of the physics engine.

>have all these interesting tricks
>none of which have any practical use when you can just smack an enemy to death in half the time

>have all these interesting tricks
>none of which have any practical use when you're a boring cunt

BOTW was the best game ever until you left the Great Plateau. Then it became another open-world game with some neat physics-based mechanics.

Why is this webm always shown? I feel like there are way more impressive things in this game.

Anyway, what really illustrates this games strengths is that the first time I see a webm like this I think "of course that works, why didn't I try that?", it's never surprising to me that you can do these things because the world physics are cohesive.

I'm playing skyrim now and the world feels so static in comparison. Many inns have food sitting in stone ovens "cooking", but unlike Zelda it's all just decorative. Why can't I put a raw chunk of meat next to the fire and wait for it to cook!?

The great plateau is my least favorite part by far, it's so structured and inorganic. I rush it every time, taking a step off the plateau is like stepping into a world. I'll never understand the people that like the plateau the best, it's literally just a physics playground tutorial.

This, preferably one with a sensibly-sized overworld and a story that amounts to more than, "There! [plot-relevant location]! Did I ever tell you about the time, 100 Years Ago, when..."

If you prefer actually playing video games over sitting in a cardboard box and playing make believe, you are a boring cunt. Listen to yourself.

botw overworld size is fine what the next one needs is more traditional zelda dungeons imagine a traditional zelda structure in the botw engine

>I rush it every time
Well no shit, of course it becomes boring when you play through it multiple times. It's amazing the first time because it's your first introduction to the game mechanics and discovering them by yourself without tutorials is great.

It's not even impressive. It's really stupid but these are nintens we're talking about. The same male who brag about how much they start crying from the bliss of playing nintendo games. They're completely insane.

>without tutorials

whqt the fuck you think the first 4 shrines are?

In your defense the game enables but doesn't really encourage or challenge you to be creative. Its easy and usually fastest to solve things in the plainest way

>The great plateau is my least favorite part by far, it's so structured and inorganic
>it's literally just a physics playground tutorial

Introductions to runes and the shrine puzzle format. Fortunately those aren't the only mchanics in the game, otherwise it would get boring in 10 minutes.

i literally could do this in half life 2 like ten years ago

>imagine a traditional zelda structure in the botw engine
hyrule castle and it was amazing, easily the best part

I've literally never considered doing that. That's pretty cool.

I guess actual level design isn't important anymore.

well imagune 8 differently themed dungeons like that al9ng with plenty of world puzzles k8nd of like the best of 2d and 3d zelda design

And before that you could do it in FFX with Wakka's spiked blitzballs.

is this the new Cemu thread?

agree. hyrule castle was the best part of the game and the only part that actually felt like a zelda game to me. And even then it still had plenty of room for improvement (puzzles etc)

i was expecting more from fucking ganon this time around i mean he managed to achieve victory again something he hasn't done since future OOT..., just a bit more perspective or a few words instead i get spooky mindless mechanical spider and a giant slow beam boar.

>nintenbros
>playing non nintendo games
pick one and only one
there's a reason why every nintendo game gets praised for "being innovative" and "moving the medium forward": doesn't matter how many times it's been done before if you didn't know about it

Sometimes this game gets in it's own way with the tech shit.

Nobody thinks it's fun to find a pillar you need to climb but have to wait 5 minutes in real time for the rain to stop so you can actually do it.

and honestly amazing

at least you can rush Revali's Gale to partially solve the problem

>but have to wait 5 minutes in real time for the rain to stop so you can actually do it.

what is a fire?

How do you light a fire in rain?

>How do you light a fire in rain?

under a rock or with a flame sword real quick

fucking kek what an idiot

I always just thought it was the worlds best fuck around simulator. It needs a garrys mod type mod

Oh no it doesn't hold all the fun stuff hostage for 10 hours oh god please help its too confusing

I keep hearing about this "dude just light a fire in a place where the rain doesn't fall" shit but from my experience it never works, if it's raining a fire will refuse to start even if the rain is clearly not falling on it
Does it only work under specific things?

>story

Fuck you.

git gud

retard

What else could you do it in?

Trips for truth.

no seriously just find a dry place under an overhang

*a overhang

I've played the fuck out of this game on Switch, but I want to check it out on Cemu. Can I run it?

how does a fire stop rain so you can climb? legitimate question.

you can wait by a fire idiot

Just try it, its pretty easy, it runs on my laptop

You're good on RAM but the GHz in your processor are not enough

>*a overhang
??

>insulting me

why, i wasn't being a dick to you.

>how does a fire stop rain so you can climb? legitimate question.
you "sit" by the fire until morning
i.e. you sleep the night

the other poster wasn't me

>on Sup Forums
>why am i being insulted

back to the gaf

There’s a lot of empty space in this game

What's the best place to get the ISO?

>masterpiece in game design
It really isn't.

>botw overworld size is fine

It's three or four times larger than it has any right to be.

tpb like pretty much always
this seeams legit enough:
thepiratebay.org/torrent/18899042/The_Legend_of_Zelda__Breath_of_the_Wild_v1.3.0

Heres how I did it:reddit.com/r/CemuPiracy/comments/73oq6r/updated_botw_setup_guide/

nope its fine really its the map i always wanted in a zelda game

>ubisoft style open world
>m-mustard piece!
nintententoddlers, not even once.

>>ubisoft style open world

...not really

it'sw easiest to use wii u usb helper

nah

Yeah but is it honestly amazing?

Perhaps I'd appreciate it more if the rest of the game were more like previous Zeldas- what if some of the caves just had, like, whole heart or stamina containers? No shrine, no "collect four and bring them to the nearest statue", just a complete, functioning upgrade there for you to find?

>The game is better when they wait to unlock mechanics because...

>Literally admitting you'd rather have your hand held for hours before getting access to things that make the game fun
Past Zelda games have done exactly what you're talking about, and if you are willing to recall, most of the shit you get gets used once in a dungeon and then loses all practicality forever once you're done with the dungeon. By giving players all the tools they need to have fun right away, you're enabled to go out and figure out ways to use the shit. And while you might be too retarded to do anything more than walk up to an enemy and hit them ad nauseum, other people are using the tools you hate so much to find more fun and creative ways to take on the game.

Fucking brainlets.

>Mechanics does not equal game design.

t. faggot who knows nothing about actual game development

It has some neat mechanics but most of the game is still traversing a bland uninteresting world just like most other open-world games.

This.
I don't care what little things I can do with the enviroment. I want to play Zelda, not Gary's Mod.

I've thought of this. Thing is that good cover is almost nowhere

Majority of the criticisms against BOTW are honestly subjective

>to find more fun and creative ways to walk twenty minutes to clear a 2min shrine, or find a 10sec korok puzzle, or kill the same 4 enemies
FTFY

This is the state of discussion on Sup Forums

i know

metroidvania cucks spotted

The way I recently heard it explained was that this game lets you solve problems with real world logic. Plants are flammable, fire spreads and eventually burns out, Heat Rises. Metal conducts electricity. Lightning in a thunderstom will strike metal and taller objects.

Objects act and react accordingly.

I.E. In old games, you'd need a special item to cross a large gap. In botw, you can chop down the tree next to the gap and cross the log to get over. In other games, that tree would be industructible.

This I think, is the cornerstone of why this game is a masterpiece in game design. Remove it and the game becomes Twilight Princesses Hyrule Field.

you're the reason video games are shit right now

Garry's mod

this is the correct and only answer

>All that bullshit for "thanks Link, I'll defeat Ganon now. Magical Goddess-Princess Trifoce Powers GOOOOO!"

>.E. In old games, you'd need a special item to cross a large gap. In botw, you can chop down the tree next to the gap and cross the log to get over

Doesn't that only matter once?
I would have liked to see it more, but I'm pretty sure I only did it once