Dark atmosphere

>dark atmosphere
>creepy sounds
>weirdly shaped monsters
>death awaits behind every corner

but why in the world isn't this game scary[/scary]?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=emwjPX90I4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because you need more eyes.

I think it's mainly because your character is a really strong fighter, so you'll see the monsters more as a challenge than something to be scared of

because ayys aren't scary. Only the beasts were kind of scary and there were fodder by Cathedral Ward.

You're a hunter. Everything should be afraid of you.

because they wanted it to be fun instead?
and thank fuck, i'm so bored of games where the character controls like ass and has no effective response to enemies because it's more TENSE when you don't get to actually have combat

yeah I don't mind it every now and then but devs have done it to death recently

Because you can see and have better motion than humanly possible.
Humans are scared by being unable to access their senses or unable to maneuver around threats. Something that the Hunter excels at. If you couldn't see enemies, and you couldn't move like 5 feet per sec in any x/y axis you liked, it might be scarier.
Also 3rd person allows you to see behind you. Which further makes it difficult to be scared.

I thought upper cathedral ward was spooky

It was a bit unsettling and a bit spooky at some points.

Anyways, fuck upgrade material farming, especially twin blood shards.

Character is matched to the enemies. Imagine Halo where even being seen by a covenant alien would mean you were jumped by dozens of them and torn to shreds, that'd make even Halo a scary game. True horror comes from a sense of powerlessness and weakness in the face of a mysterious enemy. Dark Souls doesn't have this (by design, of course).

Probably because you are using the Shitter's Holy Blade

On the other hand, Bloodborne IS scary, you just have to get into the game, headphones, lights off, etc. Just like you would in any other horror game
>hurr I'm playing Silent Hill 2 on the morning without sound and this game isn't nearly as scary as people make it out to be huh really makes you think

I couldn't sleep seeing those ebrietas fetuses at the upper cathedral ward

it would be so much better if we didn't have to go through a loading screen to make enemies respawn

Because the hunter is an unstoppable killing machine. Youre the scariest thing in the whole game.

Thoughts on htis recently discovered cut boss fight from Bloodborne? How are they making this playable anyway?

youtube.com/watch?v=emwjPX90I4U

Its an action game where you can literally press a button to become unkillable, not exactly good horror material

I don't think horror was the true intention. Except for Upper Cathedral Ward.

Part of the reasons horror games are scary because you don't have much options.
In Bloodborne you can take down every threat, and your character's a badass.

This. The plot is actually centered around this fact and it's made abundantly clear in the DLC especially when you enter the Hunter's Nightmare and see beasts running in terror from Old Hunters who can slash them apart with giant bones whips from 15 feet away.

Basically, you are the horror movie monster, but because you're the player character, and the game presents you as a hero initially, it's a confusing fact to accept even though the NPCs know it from the beginning.
>IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT
>YOU ARE NOT WANTED HERE

everyone is more scared of you then you are of them

It works really well, DaS trying to be cool is wrong because the point of the game is you being a piece of shit that fights against gods. In Bloodborne you are a fucking hunter, you make beasts your bitches. Weapon movesets like the Rakuyo, Chikage or Beast Claws don't even feel out place.

>>IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT
>>YOU ARE NOT WANTED HERE
What? You do know that they fucking hate outsiders, right? That's why they're saying that stuff.

>see beasts running in terror from Old Hunters who can slash them apart with giant bones whips from 15 feet away.
What are you talking about? Are you talking about Nightmare Cathedral ward with the beasts and two hunters (one having a boom hamer I think)? Because one of them is carrying a torch which that type of enemy dislikes. You can use it too. It's more about the fire.

>but you are da monsta :DDD
Fuck off

>the point of the game is you being a piece of shit that fights against gods
???
Anyways Great Ones are gods too and the only "adult" one you can only fight when you're halfway being a Great One too.
Hunters are glorified pest control

good post

it's too annoying to be scary

>Hunters are glorified pest control
But the point of hunters isnt to kill beasts, its to stop the mensis ritual

It feels good to get (you)s whilst not shitposting

It's the good hunters job to do that.
Normal hunters kill beasts, that's their job.
At first they were like CIA, investigating shit, cutting holes into skulls to look for eyes and keep information from spreading. Then the beast thing got worse and then they said "Fuck it" and at some point civilians joined too.

Fuck off? You fuck off shitstain. I'm not the dumb motherfucker who has to use meme spurdo face to try and validate his weak-ass argument because he missed a big point of the game's plot. Why does Djura decide to retire? Why does the narrator for the DLC's intro hate hunters so much? Why does Gehrman want you to wake up instead of embracing your bloodlust? Why are hunters so prone to beasthood despite fighting beasts being their supposed sole purpose anyway? Why do Church priests want to kill you on sight despite supposedly working with them in the past? Because they know just how dangerous and ruthless most hunters end up becoming. Do you know why civilians can smell you from the next room over? Only because they hate outsiders? No, it's because they smell the scent of blood and death wafting off your leather-clad buttcheeks.

>What are you talking about? Are you talking about Nightmare Cathedral ward with the beasts and two hunters (one having a boom hamer I think)? Because one of them is carrying a torch which that type of enemy dislikes. You can use it too. It's more about the fire.

They back away from you slowly even when you're not using a torch. Why would From decide to present only the beasts in the Nightmare this way in comparison to how they normally act?

I LOVE BLOODBORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spookiest soulsborne area is still tomb of giants in DaS

Because being scared is an emotion for beta cucks and children, to actually enjoy it evokes the lowest possible survival instincts in people and wanting to feel it is as pathetic as eating a pile of shit because you're hungry for 2 hours.

>Being scared of things you can expect
Come on now , we aren't children anymore. If i knew Jason Voorhees was coming for my booty i would just prepare.

game is not that scary because you are a fucking killing machine from the start. lecture hall and fishing hamlet are scariest places.

Only scary parts where Upper Cathedral Ward and the path to Byrgenwerth.
The rest is just spooky or creepy, like Yahar'Gul, but not really scary.

>They back away from you slowly even when you're not using a torch.
They do that when you have a torch.
>Why does Djura decide to retire?
Because he's a fag like you. "we were the true monsters all long :(((("
>Why does the narrator for the DLC's intro hate hunters so much?
Because they carved him out of his mothers womb or some shit like that. It's been a while. I think it was Gehrman.
>Why does Gehrman want you to wake up instead of embracing your bloodlust?
Because you finished your job. There is nothing left to do for you.
>Why are hunters so prone to beasthood despite fighting beasts being their supposed sole purpose anyway?
Blood or something like that. You succumb, a hunter of hunters is going to come for your blood-addled ass.
>Why do Church priests want to kill you on sight despite supposedly working with them in the past?
What? The player character gets to Yahrnam on the night of a hunt. Nothing is really known about him except that he's probably sick and looking for a cure like Gilbert.
>Do you know why civilians can smell you from the next room over? Only because they hate outsiders? No, it's because they smell the scent of blood and death wafting off your leather-clad buttcheeks.
No, they know you're an outsider because of your behaviour. You dumb asshole knock on doorson a night of the hunt like anyone is going to open. They even say that. Sure, they recognize you're an hunter but you're still an idiot for thinking anyone would open their doors for you. The only reason why some people even talk to you is because they're in danger and need a safe space (or they're at the bottom of society)

Because you're acutely aware 100% of the time that it's just a video game. Horrendous frame rate, bad graphics, etc.

Cool atmosphere but I never felt immersed, which is important to being scared.

Once you've taken the blackpill nothing is scary anymore user...

This is what I do.

Helps that this is my first playthrough. I love the dread I feel seeing some new, freaky monstrosity from a distance. Makes me utter under my breath "the fuck is that" as I clench my butthole preparing to be cheap shot.

>Shitter's Holy Blade

I thought the Tonitrus was the shitter weapon?

Unironically this. It was great. Also the Gaol during the day was retroactively spooky when you realize what the people kidnapped by snatchers were being used for and what the hellish chanting actually was.

No, the true shitter weapons in Bloodborne are as follows: The Whirlgig Saw, Amygdalan Arm, Kirkhammer, LHB, Chikage, and the Logarius Wheel

Those werewolves that knock down the chandelier in upper cathedral ward were terrifying.

No its the tower of latria or the upper cathedral ward. If we're juat talking DaS then its definitely the abyss.

>fight through them
>cautiously explore the inky darkness
>all of a sudden hear inhuman shriek
>get BRAINSUCKER'd
>can easily die to them if you fuck up
>risk having to do it all over again

Was a really effective blend of it being straight up spooky and scary from a gameplay perspective.