I'm a FROMdrone who was beyond excited for this a year ago, but:

>escape tower of London
>get to japan
>beat first level, full of generic bandits, relatively easily
>drown in useless loot diarrhea
>beat first boss with wonky af hitbox in 3 tries
>second level is the first level...but at dawn...and in reverse
>take out of ps4, never play again

I just get the nagging feeling that this is basically the entire game.

Does it get better?

Bump

>FROMdrone
Your first mistake. Nioh's strengths lie firmly in it's combat which allows much more depth and variety in your own actions which makes up for some issues with enemy variety (the bosses are great and you get many more moves later) but requires a much different approach to Souls games. If you can get into the combat system and see the game on it's own merits then it would be well worth it. Loot is extremely easy to deal with and is always useful, yet you wouldn't even be at the point where it would be an issue if you only did the first mission. Also there's nothing wrong with Onryoki's hitboxes and you must be pretty dumb if you confused an obvious side mission for a main one. Try Deep in the Shadows, or perhaps even the region before deciding fully.

>but requires a much different approach to Souls games.
Explain.

>>beat first boss with wonky af hitbox in 3 tries
You have not played the game.

It's not really a Souls game past the shrine/grave shit. It's more a mixture of Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden.

Its like onimushu dont bother with side missions until new game

This game provoked me to read Shogun - amazing book, the story of the first weeb.
Toronaga(Tokugawa) is one crafty cunt.

Ok, what's this different approach you talked about.

Since you're a soulsfaggot, you probably can't into Nioh's combat which is really the only thing good about the game.

The Ki system, the stance system and the general speed of movement among other things mean that you have far more options available at once and far more cause and ability to play aggressively, while having a lot more to do defensively as well. It has a lot more in common with typical older, more focused action games than Souls.

nah, it gets worse.

The combat system is great - fast, stylish and responsive, and it improves even further with every unlocked move. However, the way they tried to extend longevity backfired hard since the game reuses levels mercilessly. Also, why they felt the need to pad the game with dumb shit like RNG, grinding and Diablow style item management is beyond me. The combat system could have easily carried the game by itself.

I'm playing through it right now.
It's much better than I remember it from the beta on PS4.
Even though the combat is somewhat similar it's definitely different from Souls. Mostly because itemization and grind play much bigger role.
But some of the bosses are DMC tier and can rip you another hole so fast, you wouldn't be able to say "shoubu". So gear alone won't carry you.

Why is that so hard to believe? The oni demon in the shack gave me more trouble than the boss. I lost a few times and remembered that super saiyan move and it toasted him.

As someone that's never played any Souls game, is this a good game to start with? Is there a story that can at least keep me entertained?

Nioh is not really a Souls game. And no, story sucks.

>FROMdrone here
>darksouls fag here
>hardcore soulsborne player here guise
>here is my opinion btw im a soulsfag
Why do they keep doing this

He means you've barely scratched the surface, since you only played one level. And honestly thee tries on Onryoki is pretty high for a "souls veteran".
Anyway, answering your question: yes, the game does get better. And, yes, there a lot of (side) missions that take place on the same maps, but with different layout and enemy placement. No, it doesn't make the game worse or too repetitive, because those missions are different enough, and the game isn't a single seamless interconnected world like in Souls. It's mission structured, and every map has pretty good level design on its own.

>fromdrone
You mean, yet another idiot who can't see past surface level similarities which deludes them into thinking that this is a souls game?
You have two choices, either continue being a faggot, whine about things you don't understand and brag about the amount of "tries" you managed to finish the boss in or cease your imbecilic behavior and understand that is a ninja gaiden/onimusha game which probably wouldn't change much considering you know nothing about those two games

Can't rely on iframes.
Loot becomes gradually more important.
Unless you become a god at the game, you're expected to use magic/ninjutsu in the later parts.
The game has an odd focus on postgame.

Only played DMC 3. I didn't enjoy it all that much. I think It took me 10+ tries to beat the twins boss, which essentially was me just doing some leaping bulletspam.

It was the same in all the betas. Some things never change. Except Nioh itself since fuck the people with common sense that also actually liked the game the way it was right?

Maria is harder than any Soulsborne boss tbqh

>The game has an odd focus on postgame.
it's because of its diablo loot system that encourages a loot treadmill style postgame that feels much larger than it actually is

Good combat aka no R1 spam and rolling into attacks in between.

Because fucking google Nioh. You'll get about 3 thousand articles and about as many reviews with the main theme being similarities to souls.
And it's fucking Sup Forums, people here are supposed to get this shit. Now imagine what's it like to discuss this game somewhere else. I at least hope that all this exposure helped them with sales

>Can't rely on iframes.
Uh? Pretty sure I dodged attacks that would have hit me if there was no iframes.

>Loot becomes gradually more important.
>Unless you become a god at the game, you're expected to use magic/ninjutsu in the later parts.
>The game has an odd focus on postgame.
None of that is actually that important or core game changing.

Perhaps so, but the entire push from reviewers and previews planted the "soulslike" meme for quite a while before I got to it. Kind of hard to push that out once it worms its way into your consciouness.

it's more Diablo than FROMshit

>odd focus on postgame
Any difficulties past Way of the Strong were actually added in the DLC, though the way those were handled to the detriment of all its other systems including the loot itself certainly was odd.
>people here are supposed to get this shit
You say that but you're forgetting just how uninformed and casual the majority of Sup Forums is now.

Too bad it's balanced around that. The DLC, for example, expects you to be near the end of NG+ in terms of gear and levels.

how do I beat Giant Centipede?

This and the whole story is Japanese history but with folk tales monsters, so unless you're interested in learning history or already knew Japanese history then you will find the game confusing as fuck because they throw you "new" characters every 5 seconds. The game has a archive thingy that let you read more about them as you progress through the game though.

Now you people are getting simply deluded.

Pretty sure you didn't.

>uninformed and casual the majority of Sup Forums is now

Nothing wrong with that. There is literally nothing gayer and socially inept than someone who takes themself seriously as a video game elitist. I know this board is an escapist temple for some people, but we all have to grow up someday.

plunging attacks, it's slow as fuck so run up the bridge and jump down on its body and whack
worst boss in the game btw

I want to unlock Okatsu skin already, Willian is a fugly motherfucker.

Just block and bait out the slam, then hit the head. You don't need a shield when every weapon has 100% damage reduction.

I'm pretty sure that's false simply based on the fact you'd be getting appropriate equipment just from doing the DLC itself. People only think that it's necessary because some things hit hard (like they always do) and the DLC came a while after people had played through the game.
In a sense it's regrettably true though. Before release it had a perfect balance between those aspects, but with some people wanting it ruined by being too Souls-like and others wanting it ruined by being too Ninja Gaiden-like no one noticed the Diablo part engulfing it. So now the game's piss easy and unbalanced, with the extra modes mainly pushing numbers and nothing else.

> every weapon has 100% damage reduction.
That's fucking dumb.

I literally iframe through everything.
I never use the block and I never die.

I guess I'm just a much gooder player than you? Huh.

There are much higher penalties for getting your guard broken though, and more focus on stamina management in general than in Souls even. So you can't just block everything (unless you stack lots of toughness).
But in this particular case, the Centipede boss stops after it hits you once, or after you block once. So you can just let it crawl up to you, block a single hit on it at low to no stamina cost, and then just go ham while it does one of its slow ass attacks.

What the fuck did you just fucking say my weeaboo husbando you little shit.

>MFW took me 13 tries to kill onryoki
>Still farming paralysis resist and amrita to beat Hino-Enma.
Is it just me being cassul or is Odachi just a shitty weapon for bosses ? Even at low stance its too damn slow to get hits between combos.

lmao you come to a place specifically for discussing videogames, get triggered by a comment not strictly directed at you and try to save face in the most cringeworthy way by trying to entirely dismiss the current subject matter of the board, I think that's a bit closer to being socially inept

Dude, first phase Onryoki was harder than Hino-Enma, and it only took me two tries. That slut went down on the first one, in both regular and twilight missions.
She has like no health. Even if you just dodge and hit her once in thirty seconds and back off, she'll still die in a couple of minutes.

I feel he gets overhyped, generally speaking he seems fairly straightforward in what he wants and does. But yeah, strangest fucking adaptation of a classic story I've ever seen, this game.

>hey you know that fucking awesome epic based on a true story about one of the first european guys ever to come to Japan, and how it's a timeless story of culture shock mixed with the great adventure of a stranger in a strange land riddled with romance, drama, action and the fate of an entire country?
>>yeah what about it
>what if we made it a soulsborne-ish RPG game where you roam across japan killing demons and shit?
>>SOUNDS GOOD YEAH DO THAT

>normies reeeeee

Lol

I tried to like the combat but the overall presentation is just too generic for me to get interested, don't know if the game gets better later on but my first impression was not good. There are a lot of mechanics but they're thrown in the air like none of them are really important.

Don't worry, once you get it, she becomes ez pz
Dodge the telegraphed paralysis attack and block the whirlwind spin attack.

SPIN
TO
WIN

>If you aren't being a rabid and brainless social inept here you are being a social inept.
Not him, but I love wannabe elitists' mental gymnastic like yours, there is no group of shitposters that is as creatively unreasonable and irrational as you. Best tryhard clowns of the whole site by far.

Why? Don't look at it through the lens of another game.
It's likely you being cassul. She leaves wide openings between her attacks, make use of the full breadth of your moveset to capitalize on any openings, including all stances, dash attacks and evade attacks especially. She might seem fast but you're faster, also she always gives strong tells for what she'll do next.

>Why?
So you seriously need to ask that?

She's incredibly easy. I beat her with odachi on my first try.

Gotta git gud. Hino-Enma is the first boss that is basically setting you up for what the game turns into later. Playing defensively and pulling back gets aggressively punished by most every enemy, while also shoving your face into their asses will get you hit with some pretty strong counters. You need to learn to play aggressive while also abusing iframes or making sure your build has methods for tanking hits. Or just go full ninja build and git fucking gud enough to memorize their moves, dodge, and hit fast with dual swords or something.

Da fuck did you say about me, you little bitch?

>Why?
>my short sword blocking as well as my giant axe is absolutely fine guys. Why? BECAUSE IT'S NOT DARK SOULS.

>having trouble with a boss that has a grand total of 3 different moves and absolutely trash damage
How. Giant Centipede is the fucking Pinwheel of Nioh.

Huh? None of the enemies in this game can do anything if you just keep backing away. Hell, you can't play aggressively against bosses like you can against common enemies, because they have infinite superarmor out of their asses. But if you just hit and run, they go down easily.
I.e. playing defensively is a fool-proof win. It just doesn't mean you shouldn't let go off of the block button.

Play Co Op with someone for a few hours, you'll feel foolish for wasting so much loot on Clan Donations

Axes actually have really poor block in Nioh.

Blocking is punished by stamina drain, not by direct damage or chip damage. Considering fucking everything relies on stamina, blocking a strong attack means you've tanked a hit sure, but now you might not be able to counter attack, you might not even be able to run away or back off, you have to spend more stamina to dodge or escape, and God help you if you try to block through a chain of hits since like two or three strikes from even miniboss enemies will guardbreak you and then you can kiss 3/4 of your healthbar goodbye.

Read the fucking reply chain you autist.

Considering it's an entirely different game with it's own set of rules, yes. Though that first poster wasn't entirely thorough, different weapon classes do still have different Parry (stability) stats, elemental damage goes through guard unless you have equipment effects that allow you to reduce it and there are plenty of grab attacks that are unblockable.
If you spent less time shitposting and more time just playing the game or doing basic ass research, my pointless explanation wouldn't be so validated. Defensive ability is mainly tied to armour as well by the way.

>you can't play aggressively against bosses
Nigga what? Bosses are easier than some of the basic enemies purely BECAUSE they have superarmor. That means they won't run, won't usually try to do any fancy movies, and will just hit you with some big swipe-like attack to knock you away. If your build is heavy on armor/toughness/ki, you end up just absorbing everything they throw at you while beating their oversized asses into the ground.

Conversely, enemies like the dual-sword Yoki can shit out more damage in 4 seconds than some bosses, are smaller and more agile, and can come at you from any angle or out of nowhere. Give me the bossrush missions on NG+ to a single standard mission with its millions of enemies any day of the week.

I didn't say that they didn't do anything to balance that. I said that the concept of every weapon having the same 100% damage reduction is dumb, and you stupidly asked why.
BTW, you people really seem as obsessed about DaS as the Soulfags, absolutely ironic shit.

Sorry, not gonna bother. Your retarded greentext post didn't make sense in the first place. I just corrected the part that was factually wrong.

>>beat first boss with wonky af hitbox
The hitboxes in this game are one of its best features, they are insanely tight.
>second level is the first level
That isn't the second level, fucko

Eeeeeh, the hitboxes on the enemies themselves are fantastic. YOUR hitbox or where hits will register for enemy attacks can by all kinds of wonky. I remember when farming the Frogboss for weapon proficiency how his downward plunge attack has an invisible AE that can hit you up to like 8 feet away in front of him even if you're rolling. Only way I found was to abuse iframes or go sideways since it also seemed to hit behind him.

It sucks but you can beat almost every soulsborne game with rolls and light attacks (except for one or 2 boss fights that won't let you get away with that spam, like ornstein & smough or gascoigne)

>I said something stupid because I didn't read the reply chain and just posted because of my wild defensive instinct.
>sorry, not gonna bother reading two posts but I will still reply to you to try to save face.
Man, this fanbase is really fucking embarrassing, you people seriously believe that you are better than the Soulfags.

You're not making any sense.
How can superarmor on the boss possibly make a fight easier?
Just you try to beat Muneshige's ass into the ground. He'll just face tank it with his superarmor and oneshot you with iai. You can't just poisetank the bosses' attacks, like you could cheese 4kings in DS on NG. You don't have an HP pool large enough to trade hits with bosses.

Not sure what point you were trying to make, but this useless barking of yours amounts to nothing.

Same goes for your new attempt at saving face. Are you done, now?

Along with Ki Pulse, you can dodge out of attacks and move and chain in between them so smoothly and swiftly that even with full Ki you can fight them on even ground, and you can always deplete their Ki anyway to remove their armour. That said, with how they fucked the balance defensive play got far more powerful and braindead than it ever should have been. You were originally supposed to turn round no matter what if you backed away at any speed over walking, meaning big damage and big risk.

I'm not saving anyone's face, because I'm not a part of your argument. I just noted that axes in Nioh do not block as well as short swords, but in fact are worse at blocking.

It really doesn't get any better, I'd say the first Jap level is actually the highlight. The combat later on just becomes spec-ing in a specific move, like parry + Iai strike or something, and pretty much doing it over and over.

You can beat this game with roll and light attack...

Yeah, sure, if you play perfectly and iframe through every single attack (provided there are no attacks that last longer than your iframes), it's "easy" to beat the bosses aggressively.
But if you just don't take any risks in the first place, it's still easy and safe, and the game doesn't really make any moves to punish you for being defensive.

That move is just supposed to be that huge. It's not particularly invisible, it's a giant frog smashing down onto the ground. Actually that's specifically made to punish panic mashing dodge early instead of either dashing away or timing your dodge right, so far from being wonky it's doing it's job just right.

>this shit again.
Man, you are really persistent, I'm sorry that my posts hurt your feeling so hard you can't stop bothering me with the same exact retarded shit over and over.
>. I just noted that axes in Nioh do not block as well as short swords,
And If you had read the reply chain before writing out of place shit you would have know from the beginning that we were talking about damage reduction.You can keep playing dumb to try to save face, I have already told you that it's not going to work, that's it, there is nothing more to say. Can you move on now instead of getting so persistent and desperate? The more you act like that the more you make your fanbase look worse.

>Eeeeeh, the hitboxes on the enemies themselves are fantastic.
I just beat the giant frog today, and I'd argue with that.
His thrust attack with a spear he's holding in the right hand, still hits you when you're at his left side.

It doesn't get any better so no. You're going to fight the same enemies for the rest of the game and the level design doesn't really expand past what you've seen.

You don't have to though. Use Muneshige as an example; right off the bat, its a boss, meaning you're already cheesing it with sloth token. But alright let's assume you want to play 'fair' and not use that. I just went and beat him on NG+ to double check and yeah, method is as follows;

Get a fucking axe.
Use high attack to repeatedly hit him.
He'll stand there like a stupid retard and block because he's a boss and he's not going to dodge your wimpy shit.
Keep attacking; he'll occasionally get a blow in but who fucking cares because if you have armor and an HP pool it doesn't even interrupt your attack chain.
Eventually his block is broken, you get in a bunch of hits and a finisher.
Heal while he's getting up if you need or just slap him a few more times from behind.

Repeat like 4-5 times and he's dead. And that's not even using basic shit like sloth tokens, weapon enchants, any of the buffs for armor/attack, fucking nothing. Bosses are extreme pushovers compared to being swarmed with 3-5 elite mooks, where you're getting hit from all sides and each blow does like 1/4 your fucking HP pool and you get interrupted by tons of little blows.

Calm down. You got too caught up in your imaginary fanbase war. Lower parry still makes one weapon type worse at blocking than the other. But instead of just saying you meant damage reduction specifically right away, you went on with your useless tirade wasting both our time.

I said the hitboxes ON the enemies. As in, you attacking them. In that same post I pointed out if THEY are attacking YOU, you can get hit from bizarre fucking angles.

Any of you fucks have a Taisharyu Wooden Sword, divine, from the Strategist of Legend set? I'm sick of farming for this goddamn thing, don't even care what stats it has.

Usually when people talk about hitboxes they mean specifically the part of their attacks that hits you, but okay. I've heard people refer to the part of your hitboxes that take damage as "hurtboxes", but it doesn't sit well me.

But it doesn't have to be perfect at all, and you don't have to iframe through something to avoid it, which is a very big part of the combat in general. You just have to not be afraid to take a few hits in the process of learning how wide openings are, but healing is so fast and plentiful anyway.
>the game doesn't really make any moves to punish you for being defensive
Well, yeah that was where the second part of my post was aimed. Both styles were meant to be allowed and used, though the Ki system in part works towards that. If you're not playing aggressively and capitalizing on your hits and openings you're giving the enemy time to recover their Ki and losing the chance to really put them down. It's a shame then that they also decided to make your damage so high that Ki matters much less, same with enemies who also do next to no Ki damage.
It's not like you can't aim to the left with your right arm, and it's a big spear.

Can you trade in this game?
You just drop off an item in multiplayer and the other player picks it up?

From what I've seen, people who want to trade just equip the item, go to a specific mission/spot and an hero. Then the person who wants that items finds their revenant.

>second mission
not
>side mission

Nice try Rabbi.

>surface level similarities
Why do retards still cling to this? It's a good clone, but it's blatantly a fucking clone. You should have gotten over it by now.

>you don't have to iframe through something to avoid it
Yeah, that's what I described by backing away and being defensive.
>You just have to not be afraid to take a few hits
Absolutely not. That buffed Onryoki in Yomotsu Hirasaka outright oneshots you. You can't take a single hit, let alone a few.
>you're giving the enemy time to recover their Ki and losing the chance to really put them down
I found the Ki draining strategy to be much less effective against bosses than the regular enemies so far.
Cut a yoki's horns, execute, and they're dead. Easy.
Hit Nue's belly for a few seconds of robbing the boss of its superarmor. Then it does the howl that instantly fills its Ki back, and also brings down several lightning bolts, which very well might one shot you, because you thought you could stunlock the boss now, when it ran out of Ki.
>It's not like you can't aim to the left with your right arm, and it's a big spear.
Yeah, but he's a big guy, and he aims straight forward, so you really shouldn't get hit when you're nowhere near his weapon.

How reliable is that? You could wait up to half an hour for a summon sign to appear in Dark Souls for example, even when there were no others. And revenants have much higher density online because they're basically bloodstains.
Or can you just limit the bloody graves with the secret word like you can summons?

>W-w-wait let me try again, I'll save face sthis time!
Holy shit, you are one hell of annoying fly.
>But instead of just saying you meant damage reduction specifically right away
Yeah, you mean when I told right away to read a replay chain 3 posts and then you started desperately trying to save face, exactly like you are trying to do it now. And I explicitly said that again here , post that you conveniently missed, while obviously you didn't miss any other post. It's amazing how you are still trying to play dumb even with the same shit even after so many posts.
Sorry man, I can only pity you.

Pity yourself, internet tough guy. "I missed" the posts which were not addressed to me, just like I told you right away I wasn't gonna bother reading them.