What went right?

>Marketed as a sequel to a game it has nothing to do with. >The secret System Shock sequel most of us asked for
>One of the most unique games of 2017
>Underrated as fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VdGlZHX3UE4?t=202
youtube.com/watch?v=YsNvKISFFVA
youtube.com/watch?v=jOGu05q-Ch4
youtube.com/watch?v=L-l_Eq42Hrs
youtube.com/watch?v=i4RanjlL7sg
youtube.com/watch?v=1hKTZGflqrc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

An objectively nice game but it lacked weapon and enemy variety.
Still getting hard thinking about it only being 18 GB, unf.

Pretty fun gameplay but other elements left much to be desired. The plot eventually got interesting, but there was no driving force to keep you engaged until then

Main quest: Go to Area X, but through Area Y because the door is broken. Repeat this 40 or so times and eventually you get to X.

I didn't mind the weapon and enemy variety; System Shock had a lot of weapons and at the end you only used the pipe, the laser rapier, the laser rifle and the machine gun. Meanwhile Prey's weapons selection was exactly what you needed, especially all of those grenade variants.

and when you get to X, you now need to go to Z because what you were looking for isn't there at all. But once again the door is locked, so head to A and B to find the keys!

I liked everything about it
>nerf gun became the most useful gun of all
>half the game was creepy scary stealth
>other half became doom clone with psychic powers
>a pretty good twist at the end

>reach the arboretum
>use shenanigans to get up to the escape pod without extending the bridge
>have the twist spoiled early

Refresh my memory pls.

youtu.be/VdGlZHX3UE4?t=202
still cryptic but heavily hints at what happens in the real ending

skip to 3:20

It bothers me that it was obviously rushed by bethesda and all the survival systems gutted last minute due to focus testing retards, still a good game though.
>Marketed as a sequel to a game it has nothing to do with.
they had no fucking idea how to sell it just look at this shit youtube.com/watch?v=YsNvKISFFVA
Maybe they should have just said it is bioshock in space...

Bethesda did the same shit with D44M until that Nvidia conference. Why are they so shitty at marketing?

Oh that's if you use his emergency escape pod.
Rather a shame that it cuts to a fail state instead of an actual ending but I understand why.

Have this in my cart because I heard it was good.

I waited YEARS for a Prey ANYTHING, and I get this shit? Fuck you.

On a side note; I actually enjoyed this game for what it was, but was severely let down it wasn't the Prey I wanted. It's like waiting for a proper Turok...Ain't gonna happen.

D44m was shit though.

the original prey is overrated and forgettable as fuck. I'd know, I played it in 2006 when it first game out. Prey 2 looked interesting, it looked cool and it sucks what Bethesda or w/e did to it, but Prey is a great game regardless and is probably better than Prey 2 would have been in the first place.

Regardless of what you think of the actual game, the advertisements made look worse until the Nvidia conference.

I still might pirate it some day.

>18 GB is now a small install size
What went wrong

desu I don't remember much outside of the e3 reveal, everyone just shit on it because of the multiplayer alpha for good reason

I did like it but the ending was kinda meh.
I thought what you did mattered but it only changes the fallout style dialog you get at the end

>Arkane makes a System Shock homage with some horror elements and trippy themes
>Advertise it as a linear streamer bait jump scare game so that casuals will watch instead of buy, and name it after a franchise that enthusiasts games are still extremely bitter about and this will avoid out of spite
Bethesda why

Pretty much this. Also a lot of the design seemed rushed anyway. Weapon and enemy variety are nonexistant and some of the enemy behaviors seem very half-assed. Level design also extremely dull after the Arboretum.

But, I'm never getting a true successor to SS2, so this is good for what it is. Definitely better than Bioshock.

Played on a toaster and got to the first nightmare, just upgraded my rig with a gtx 1080 ti and new i7 and can run this shit in 4k on my 43" 4k tv. Should I restart to replay?

The OST was fucking melted butter to the ears.

youtube.com/watch?v=jOGu05q-Ch4

I used the glue gun too but I wasn't paying attention at that time so I got lucky

My biggest gripe about the game story wise was actually something the youtuber Joseph Anderson brought up in his video about it, the whole game, after the whole "You're in a simulation!" beginning of the game I was waiting the entire game for that moment again, to learn you're not on a space ship, you're some place else, I suppose the ending cutscene bit with Alex is supposed to fill that gap, but I was waiting for that moment where the entire spacestation itself was a simulation you break out of similar to the apartment at the beginning, I feel like there was a huge missed opportunity in that regard.

Adding to my post with another song.

youtube.com/watch?v=L-l_Eq42Hrs

Just shut the fuck up about the original Prey, nobody played, nobody gave a fuck.

Fun fact: This game was originally suppose to be called Typhon but bethesda slapped the Prey brand on it so it could get some recognition.

It was never marketed as a sequel to anything.
It was barely even marketed.

It was a fucking slick game, I loved it

It just didn't last long enough.

Also do yourself a favor and skip Combat Focus - it's OP

Good job skipping the credits fuccboi

This, I mean the whole using legit Native American Culture shit was pretty cute, but otherwise no one really truly cares about it. I'm sorry but it's true.

youtube.com/watch?v=i4RanjlL7sg
>The official OST only has the male version
>The official OST was only released in shit quality
I prefer this over the D44M OST, shame this game got shafted on every front possible

>youtuber Joseph Anderson

More options is never a bad thing, though I do agree that it never really bothered me in Prey.

>i posted a brainlet face. This justifies my opinion

Combat focus was the one where you can slow down time and just rape everything with the shotgun right?

I like the game alot, but my biggest issue with it is how you can just craft whatever you want how many times you want as long as you got the materials.

Stuff like neuromods should of had a cap so you can't go too crazy with them, I kind of think every machine should of had a cap of how much crap you can make before it runs out/breaks or something. It just makes the game too easy otherwise.

One of the things I love about this game is the level of detail in the station, it just feels lived in, you can find the area where staff placed their children when they brought them to work and there are these toys lying around. Very Immersive.

Raphael Colantonio wrote those tunes not Mick gordon
You have to go back

The GLOO gun was great.
I probably spent more time climbing and jumping over walls and running on GLOO platforms than I did on the actual floor.

>Devs said they were planning to update the game to have some survival options and NG+
>It never happens
Those are the two main faults and they almost got fixed.

Yeah, that's combat focus. Bullet time.

Yeah, the game was challenging at the very beginning but you just end up overpowering everything.

As far as the Neuromods go - you can get into Fabrication early and steal the neuromod plans. However, if you don't kill the technopath or let it lurk in the office, you can't reset the neuromod license limit which forces you to either 1) kill it right then or 2) come back later when you're more powerful to unlock infinite neuromods.

I thought that was a really nice touch which forced you to fight a hard enemy early if you wanted to get greedy.

The game just doesn't get any harder after that though.

Didn't you like the crafting system, though? I liked the four elements idea. They should have tuned the ammo supply better so you never quite have enough ammo and you get the ammo plans very late. That would have forced you into tough fights when you're unprepared and also force you to skulk around scrounging for ammo.

My issue was
>play 20 minutes, you've played the entire game
There was nothing there to fuel you going further. No escalation. No bigger enemies. Nothing. It wasn't better than System Shock or BioShock 1 whatsoever.

I liked the crafting system, but it was just too easy to get materials and make whatever you want basically whenever. So it was really hard to "run out" of stuff.

I think some sort of survival difficulty with less stuff to recycle would help or just maybe upping the cost stuff to craft.

the way they let you traverse the environment was next level, mantling works on everything even random props and the jetpack physics and handling is just right

Recognition from fucking who, nerd? Nobody knew "Prey" from any other generic game released in the mid-2000s. They openly said they took the name Prey because it sounded cool.

This even extends to the overall station

>tfw you go exploring out in space, look back at the station, and realize Talos I is a fully modeled playable area

It was really unfocused. January was not SHODAN and the reveal that she was leading you to fuck yourself over could have easily been pushed to much later. Say you activate an escape pod but that triggers the explosion or w/e and you have to do a series of hidden objectives to find the hidden endings. Woulda liked a pure typhon ending in the simulation. Actual Ending was neat but I wish it talked more about the specifics of your playthrough beyond the 4-5 major points but that's the nature of these games.

Still a solid 8/10 game. Really underappreciated and a shame. I don't know if Bethesda gives no budget to their marketing teams or something.

Fun movement is always great. I instantly love a game more if I find myself playing it like if it was a platformer because I'm a big platformer fag.

I was trying to make space on my hard drive and apparently GoW4 takes up more than 120 GB. Couldn't believe that.

I have to confess - I didn't pick up on some obvious things, like the big sign above your office: MORGAN YU - DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH

As the mercenary guy says: "The station was your laboratory, and the experiment was a failure". It kind of sent shivers up my spine when I figured it out. It also colors your moral choices since you know you're the one who inflicted it on them all in the first place.

I like the crafting system itself, the problem is you find way too much junk to recycle. It would have been a lot more interesting if you had to regularly recycle actually useful things for materials, giving up actual resources so you can make other things.

You mean twitch streamer Joseph Anderson?

>What went right?

not the audio design

>tfw put all my points in recycling efficiency
>got the neuromod implants design
>made at least 20-30 mods in one session
Gg
No re

>heh can you believe someone thought this e-celeb was on youtube and not twitch?

>Neuromod fabrication DRM
got a chuckle out of me

>realizing that even waterfalls and flowing water can be looking glass panels also

Also, did you kill the cook?

I fell for his ebin trap
Sort of. It mostly just looked like he died of an explosion for no reason.

Did you get a fright when you went into the pod and he's just sitting there waiting for you?

my only real complaint was the sound, its still fucked to this day. every time i talked to someone i had to turn my receiver volume down because dialog is just so fucking loud (the chef operator holy fuck SHUT THE FUCK UP) and the audio options do nothing at all. then you had the annoying danger music when you encountered a poltergeist and you're running around the room with the psychoscope, which also makes an annoying humming noise that combines with the danger music. at that point you just want to find the fucker to kill it just to shut the audio up which negates any actual spooky danger there was, which kinda sucked because poltergeists were kinda neat.

TRANSTAR PYRAMID 4105 MEDICAL CLASS OPERATOR READY TO DEPLOY

>break into Volunteer Quarters
>avoid poltergeist because you don't have the psychoscope and you want to come back and scan it
>return to volunteer quarters
>poltergeist is gone

next time you play a video game vicariously through a youtube person watch somebody that plays the game past the credits

Also guys: You don't need Leverage - you can destroy props with recycler charges

Seriously guys it's a great game and really cheap

The trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=1hKTZGflqrc

or anything that explodes can movie heavy boxes. but leverage is all about picking stuff up and throwing at the aliens for hilarious damage, not necessarily finding secret nooks and crannies.

Does it really fuck them up? Maybe I should have a playthrough of that

The dev are highly competent but they really fucked up enemy variety and story. These are two points that greatly contributate to make SS2 a nearly perfect game.

>poltergeist is gone
>walk around
>shit starts moving on its own
>video displays start fucking up
>THEY WALK INSIDE US LIKE A DISEASE

>poltergeists
Cool idea, abhorrent execution.

>tfw i went an entire play through without knowing that
>tfw i could have jammed doors before turning them off to keep them open
I feel like a fucking idiot.

>buy this game off g2a because fuck giving bethesda more money
>get to the main part of the station after the prologue section, objective is to reach office
>get to large atrium area with a 2spook4me phantom
>crouch next to wall, proceed to gloo gun my way up to the office, smash the mirror, get the fuck in
This is when I knew I would like the game

Fun fact, you can sneak through gaps by disguising yourself as a coffee mug or other small prop.
It's an easy way into a lot of locked rooms.

>Does it really fuck them up?
oh hell yeah it does. you not only do crazy damage but you can knock down aliens and just walk up to them and pound them with the wrench or just throw more stuff at them. also comes in handy to force open doors.

ss2 shitters need to be euthanized

>rebooting the reactor from the control room
>have to flip the breakers for each module of the ship in order
>EVA lady announces the shutdowns as they happen
>Final shutdown happens
>Emergency lights come on and the artificial gravity SWITCHES OFF

I'm pretty sure even the seat in the control room had a harness on it for exactly this reason

on topic of knocking down aliens If you knock them down in the one part of cargo they'll get stuck

and if you're doing a run with alium powers kinetic blast blows everything out of the way as well, incredibly handy. but if you're using recycler grenades remember to always pile up a whole bunch of shit in front of your obstacle so as not to waste the grenade and get more materials to make more stuff.

I nearly overlooked it because it titled same as those generic doom 3 clone.

He laughed himself to death.

Sounds interesting but they should really change the fucking title. The previous Prey game had an Indian protagonist with wall walking abilities and a spawn minigame explained through dreamwalking. This is like a cross between System Shock and Fallout.

Fucking groovy

Ahh, one of the games that I didn't give a shit about entering 2017 but when I did play it, it ended up being more fun and satisfying than most of the games I anticipated that year. Now in the top 10 of my games from 2017.

>Run straight into the pod and trigger the charge
>Somehow survive
>Reload and disable it this time
>He just goes from sitting to suddenly being listed as dead

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if I broke something.

Prey is aimed at people entering their twenties who have seen SS2 on "greatest games" lists but never played it.

Play it, it's better than the original game ever was.

It looks a bit like bioshock. I really enjoyed that.
Will i enjoy this?

probably.

Yeah you will

Sort of. It's closer to the new Deus Ex games than Bioshock.

This is how most games are designed that have a relatively small 'world'. It's the core design of Zelda and Metroid Prime games, which are generally praised here. I don't really think it's an issue at all.

It more like a newbies version of System Shock 2, but the game is still pretty solid so I recommend it to you.

The puzzles are more interesting and well thought out, that's for fucking certain. I'd say the only real difference is maybe the weapon variety, and it doesn't really force you into using super powers directly.

I'll put it simply.

It's the game I wished Bioshock Infinite was.

I think the game is great, but it falls apart during the last third. I had to brute force myself to finish it.

I loved the shit out of the game, but once you play it to completion there's absolutely no reason to revisit it. They needed to add some post game bonuses in there, anything would have been nice.