How do you feel about grammatical errors in your video games?

How do you feel about grammatical errors in your video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/less-or-fewer
youtube.com/watch?v=3pGxlxAZ-eg
blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/08/10/less-or-fewer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i taught english and see no error here.

maybe you're talking about old english or something.

Fewer

>fewer

both of you, or samefag, you can say less in this sentence in modern english

It should be "fewer", not "less". Less is used when describing an amount of something that can't be divided into individual units.

that's just not how english works these days sorry.

you should like one of those people who claims "nice" is a insult in every use of the word just because it was originally.

nani?

I don't know if you guys are americans or what but in real english we can use either. fewer is just a more posh way to say it but both are correct in say an essay.

As awkward as it sounds, it's grammatically correct.

>3 Tums

5 - 2
five minus two
two less than 5
two fewer than 5

its fine.

> taught english
oboy
it should be “fewer turns”

That's the difference between USA english and UK english in the settings. They also add and remove U's from words at random.

As a language teacher, both are correct. "Fewer" might be more correct in American English however.

nah you are wrong. It's funny that some are sold on this though. Reminds me of the urban legend where the daddy long legs spider is said to be deadly but can't bite us.

How do you feel about pop culture references in video games?

Hate it.

autism

It is true, I ate eight of them on the 8th in my sleep.

I thought it was pretty cute how in Operation Darkness the only unit that learns a revive spell is Herbert West.

I can’t believe the amount of people saying both are correct.

“Fewer” is correct and “less” is not. Your mistake is not as widespread as you think; every respectable or official document will always use the two correctly, as will legal documents. You are excusing your own mistake because it suits you. Dozens of thousands confuse “its” and “it’s” or “there” and “their” but that doesn’t mean modern English has evolved. That means people make mistakes.

Less and Fewer are two different words with two different definitions. They mean different things. They are not interchangeable. It’s okay if you’ve been making that mistake, but the mature thing to do is accept that it’s a mistake in the first place.

>As a language teacher
I could be wrong, but is that part of your sentence not a misplaced modifier?

Wrong. Sorry you had to type a paragraph.

>english teachers arent normal people too
>they must use proper grammar even when on fucking Sup Forums

Real English upper secondary high-school teacher here. This shit is easy.

You use "fewer" if you’re referring to people or things in the plural (children etc.).

You use "less" when you’re referring to something that can’t be counted or doesn’t have a plural (money, time etc.).

"Less" is also used with numbers when they are on their own and with expressions of measurement or time (less than 6 hours).

I can finally show of my useless language skills!

no, you are american and assuming the rules of your bizzare regional version of english are the same everywhere

Not an argument.

Seems legit

no, yours wasn't. lol

FEWER MEANS NOT AS MANY
LESS MEANS NOT AS MUCH
A DEFICIT IN QUANTITY VERSUS A DEFICIT IN NON-INTEGRAL AMOUNT

fewer could be used if there was more then a 1 turn difference so saying less is more proper in this context

you would use fewer when there's more of a gap then 1-2 length

Don't put words in my mouth. I genuinely wanted to know whether he used an acceptable construction so that I can know what's right for future reference.

T-thanks teacher-sama.

You disgusting limeys can go skip stones then, I’m talking about a grammatical error in the American English translation of an American game

>American game

3 teachers here, two of them disagree with him.

and those two are correct while the one you replied to might only be correct in the united states.

What are you talking about? It will always be “takes fewer turns,” and in-game he currently took three turns to recharge so it’s a moot point anyways

Actually, I was wrong. It is an easy mistake.

I agree with this guy.

this guy is right, both are used in math interchangeably.

english belongs to the english. your whole language and all its extra rules are built on the fact you were too dumb to use it properly.

mom = mum
honor = honour

i could go forever. humble yourselves americans.

By golly, I stand corrected. I completely forgot Ubisoft was French.

It's 3am EST on a weekday, I bet a lot of you are roleplaying Australians.

op here.

actually, i was wrong. this english is correct.

t. non-english speaker

But your English isn’t the same as it was back when we split from you either. Your accent, spelling, and grammatical rules have changed wildly. You merely kept the name when we didn’t.

Here comes the evidence.
en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/less-or-fewer

Game over faggots.

I’m no expert on grammar, but I’m pretty sure it is a misplaced modifier. A correct version of the sentence would be: “As a language teacher, I would say that both are correct”

>official documents and legalese use the two correctly
Wow, you attempted to make a point by pointing out the single most uptight and confusing forms of english possible. In common language they're used interchangably.

I've seen people playing Dota with over 5k hours in game with mlp avatars. I thought that was peak autism. I was wrong.

DESCRIPTIVIST FAGGOTS BLOW THE FUCK OUT

this is the point.

english changes to be how the majority of people use it.

you cant hold back the flood, less and fewer are used the same by most people and thus are both correct.

you have to beable to use the same words in different sentence structure as well

3 went to 2 turns so "1 less turn to recharge"
you wouldn't say "1 fewer turn to recharge"

few and fewer requires a bigger gap to be used correctly

that's like having 10 apples and you ate 1 and say "i ate a few apples"
it is wrong

>brah just turn off your brain lmao
fucking troglodyte

this whole thread is autism. anyone saying there is anything wrong with the language in op's post is autistic lol.

this guy has it right.

“Common English” is a catch-all descriptivist phrase that can justify calling anything you want grammatically correct. A “Common English” dictionary and grammar rule book would also tell you that “magazine” is synonymous with “clip,” “your” and “you’re” are interchangeable, and “is you or is you ain’t” is grammatically correct. What is your criteria? When does a mistake become a new word? Let me guess, is it if you commonly make the mistake?

Here is the fucking answer. Now agree that I am right.

We get some Francers in thy thread who thank English should be literally imprisoned like a prisoner (that's a metafor) not denied unliberated to mutatate in a fine melting pot that means a scot'sman and a hamburger have alot more in common then thay thing.

English is a bydlo language. There's not a single country with English as its spoken language which isn't a shithole.

Yeah, this I'm going to agree with. Language is loosely defined and constantly changing. People make up new words all of the time and break the "rules" that are defined in the grammar books and whatnot often. Niggers speak in such a different dialect of English that it's like a whole different language in itself.

"Autism" isn't an argument you boor.

fuck off its only a video game, normal english is fine.

I'm sorry, but can you please rewrite your post in the original latin? I find it to be an abomination of true language in its current state.

You are, more or less, completely wrong.

>which
that*

said the east yuro commie

Thanks. I thought so too, but seeing a teacher (if that poster really is one) type that got me confused.

A QA guy here - if I reported that as a bug, nobody would fix it. Just saying.

yeah it is

Don't you have oligarchs' dicks to suck, Petr?

American teachers really are fucking morons. No wonder the pay is so shit

Stop. UK and American English changed because English was only finally standardized after America was already founded, primarily sparked after the mass publication of dictionaries. The English language standardized separately in both continents and it was at that moment the split occurred. We write and speak nearly identically to the way we did shortly after standardization, from a spelling and grammar viewpoint. Only slang, slight accent, and colloquialisms have changed

uhm your literally retarded

Speaking like an imbecile doesn't mean you're evolving the language

This is as stupid as the cuck who complained to Nintendo about Paper Mario: Color Splash not having a "u" in color when released in Europe.

>i

Is every single sentence that spews out of your mouth grammatically correct?

If not, you are a blight on society who deserves to be removed from the gene pool.

We're not speaking or typing like Ugandan niggers.

Of course not. But a normal person knows they makes mistakes and even accepts some, but doesn’t act like a fucking child and demand that they aren’t mistakes because he says so. If you knew the grammatical difference between less and fewer but decided to stick your mistake anyways, more power to you. Make as many mistakes as you want. Just don’t claim that your commitment to those mistakes makes them valid

In school I was taught British english and we learnt the distinction between fewer and less, but this thread is leading me to believe it's an american thing. Which is it?

>maybe
You mean "perhaps"

I know it’s only “fewer” in American English, and was almost certain it’d have to be “fewer” in UK English but I guess I could be wrong. I find it more likely that a French translator fucked up a lesser known grammatical difference

“Maybe” works too, because “May be” would be correct in its place

youtube.com/watch?v=3pGxlxAZ-eg

fewer known*

Less = not as much
Fewer = not as many

Mario's HERO SIGHT takes not as much turns to recharge.

Mario's HERO SIGHT takes not as many turns to recharge.

That’s a clumsy sentence but yeah, “not as many” is of course the correct one

"user sucks less cocks than OP" or "user sucks fewer cocks than OP"?

how do these fucking retards get localization jobs?

less works if you know how many cocks OP have sucked

fewer works when you don't know the amount

Fewer Ninto ddlers browse Sup Forums every day

Cool. Italians that play Sonic Forces will never get a certain achievement unless they look it up in english.

That's incorrect

You have to say like Mario's hero sight will take less time to recharge.

It has to do with the word turns

>en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/less-or-fewer

Use the newer more in depth link:
>blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/08/10/less-or-fewer/
>But hold on, I hear you say – the measurements (years, miles, dollars, etc.) are in the plural, so why isn’t fewer the correct choice? Not so! We use less in such cases because we’re actually still referring to total amounts (of time, money, distance, etc.) rather than individual units.

>Sup Forums having a discussion about grammar
Is this bizarro Sup Forums?

This is pretty standard Sup Forums, if you go back a decade or so.

Turns are a measurement of time
The sentence refers to the total time being less

Not wrong just awkward

Go back to Sup Forums you grammar Nazis.