Yakuza thread

Reminder that just like 6 and Kiwami were announced together, their translations were announced together. After 6 has been released, we'll get the following announcement, most likely Kiwami 2 and HGG (because I really doubt they'd translate RGG online).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DMHs6CJj1xI
youtube.com/watch?v=5K8OQs6BT0E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

I've played zero and i'm playing kiwami, what other yakuza games should i play if i loved those two?

2 3 4 5 and 6

All of them, really. If you have a PS3 there's 3, 4 and 5 there. 2 is on the PS2, and it's also getting a Kiwami remake someday in the future (not confirmed, but everyone knows). 6 is coming out on March.

If you don't have a PS3, 2 is fairly easy to emulate. It's best to play them in order, but if it can't be helped any order really works as long as you don't mind getting spoilers from the games you skip.

I've got a ps3 but i want to play them in order, so i was planning on waiting for kiwami 2 before anything else. I heard the story for 6 was shit and fucks kiryu's ending, is that true?

wait for kiwami 2, then play peace walker. then go through the first chapter of 6. You'll be all caught up.

play black panther

I'm kind of amazed so many people had trouble with the Full Straight requirement since I went into mahjong thinking it was going to be the hardest of the lot but it's even easier than all doubles was in 4. Once I realized that it just meant 1-9 of a tile + triple + double and not the 13 Orphans it went from "Holy crap this is taking forever" to "This only took 20 minutes". You can literally just Chi and Pon to your heart's content as long as they're done in the proper order of 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9. Is it just that people don't realize you can just keep redoing ranked games and quitting out if you don't get decent hands? Or is it because people are new to the game and don't understand how to make hands properly? I'm thinking it's the latter.

Oh, and mangans/hanemans are so easy to make just doing basic hands, just activate Red Doras and you can get them without even trying. Hell, you can get them without even trying without the Red Doras, it just takes a bit longer.

One thing to remember is that the Kiwami 2 demo also has golf in imperial instead of metric which surprised me. Do European consoles running it have it in metric?

all of them but if you want something to play on PS4 and are brave, import Ishin. it's awesome

Which do you want released in US first? HnK or Kiwami 2?

I think all the complaining about Mahjong was from the Ranked Matches because that shit got real broken once you were in the top 5.

Black Panther is ok, but no translations really suck my enjoyment of the world.

I'd say HnK, I've already played Yakuza 2.

Ishin

>I heard the story for 6 was shit and fucks kiryu's ending, is that true?
From all I've read, it's not that the game is outright bad, it's just disappointing and underwhelming. It doesn't help that 4 and 5 were getting bigger and bigger in terms of length and stakes, but 6 dropped a lot of that for a more focused story, which a lot of people feel didn't work as well.

Kiwami 2 may take a while to be translated, it's not even announced yet. It's a lot more controversial than Kiwami as a remake, and 2 is much better than 1, so you could as well play 2 if you want to continue quickly.

Kiwami 2. HnK will never get an English release with all the licensing bullshit that comes with it.

Playing 0 right now and loving it. It's my first yakuza game. How is kiwami? Found it selling for £17. Seems like a good price.

youtube.com/watch?v=DMHs6CJj1xI

Kiwami is good but it recycles 90% of the environment/combat from 0

There's golf in the K2 demo? I thought it was only the story, I'll check. Maybe imperial is used primarily for golf, I don't know.

Dude what? It's not Super Robot Wars with dozens of different licenses.

Shit we've got nearly every FotNS game

It's a good remake but it's still a PS2 game. The story is not nearly as tight as 0 and it really sucks they didn't totally rewrite it because Nishiki is pretty underdeveloped and abrupt all things considered.

Even in the mid 20s you can see it's pretty bad, everyone just seems to Riichi within like three draws half the time, 6000+ point hands are common, people will Tsumo out of nowhere, and it feels like the NPCs target you specifically.

Yep, go to where the golfing center was in the original and talk to the chick at the desk. You can also fight people in the golfing center (Not where the greens are, just the entrance).

I'll be happy with Kiwami 2 as long as the cut content doesn't fuck with the plot. In that case I'll just stick to plain old 2 forever.

Wait until you're rank 3 and you see double riichi every other round

>watching HnK gameplay
>I can easily notice reused assets from Yakuza

They definitely shouldn't have rewritten it, it's a remake not a reboot. I think it only feels abrupt because the timeskip is so fast, you have to consider that Nishiki went through 10 years of stuff, and even then, Kiwami gave us a very good insight into what made him that way.

>the cut content doesn't fuck with the plot.
It's literally substories and Shinseicho. The plot wasn't changed.

>I can't believe these developers who are known for reusing assets are actually reusing assets again

I don't trust Sega with this stuff. I'd love to be wrong but I can see how they will bring up the licencing and translations/shipment costs

I was already seeing triple Riichis at where I was (Rank 24) but it wasn't too common, double Riichis would happen but we'd almost be drawn out. I never bother getting to the top of the rankings since it takes so long, there's the obvious cheating, and you never really get anything worth anything out of it that you can't just buy or craft.

What did you expect? It's a Yakuza spin-off, it's even using the old engine.

I think I would've liked Kiwami more if you played half of it from Nishiki's pov. As it is the game just felt like a prettier version of HD with some gameplay tweaks and side content.

6 has different licenses up the ass and its still getting a US release

Kiwami 2 because I don't care about HnK. I'd also love for Ishin to be localized even though I already beat the Japanese version.

>triple Riichis
I don't think you understand what a Double Riichi is.

Don't you mean multiple people going into Riichi at the same time?

You can get Yakuza 1 & 2 HD collection for PS3. Those are great versions of the first 2 games and they only require you to know a little bit of moonspeak (they were never localized).

Those little 90's cutscenes were pretty lame. Even with all that context the way Nishiki meets back up with Kiryu after 10 years and instantly makes him his enemy is totally unsatisfying and unfruitful.

inb4 E3 announcement so Sony steps their game up after the shitshows of last year

>Playing yakuza 0 as the first game in the series
>Majima helps out the girl who keeps wanting dolls, she even starts calling him dad
>never learn her or her mother's names
So what is this a reference to?

I don't know what you're on about. It's not like SEGA is Bandai. Licensing is not as huge of a deal as you think it is. Especially with something like Yakuza were all the included arcade games and shit is mostly SEGA stuff anyway.

I blame Bandai for this meme about licensing being a huge issue with localization. They've been using that excuse for ages while every other company has no problem. It's only ever music licenses that can be problematic due to the nature of the music industry.

While that would have been nice, that would have been a completely different game, and I feel that Nishiki's story wouldn't work as well with him as a protagonist. He isn't Kiryu, he isn't a great fighter nor has he a great leading personality. The same reasons everyone looked down on him for would make him a worse protagonist.

Besides Kiwami was a budget project, they never intended to bring an entirely different light to the story, it was a good way to reuse the 0 assets and throw a bone at the new fans that started there.

Double Riichi is when you call riichi with your opening hand. It's bullshit how often the AI gets it

At least they could just not do it for a different IP.
I heard they have a rather small budget but this is just lazy.

>they only require you to know a little bit of moonspeak
This is a lie. Unless you only want to play the game and not understand anything in the story, you need extensive knowledge of the language.

No I understand. I'm just not a fan of how budget it felt. I wish they had done something more special for a remake. But I still understand

It didn't need a reboot, but after that incredible scene between Nishiki and Kiryu in 0 it's hard to take the way 1 sets up Nishiki as your enemy seriously.

It's not a different IP, it's literally a reskin of Yakuza. It's called Hokuto ga Gotoku, all the characters are voiced by the Yakuza VAs, the combat is the same, the minigames emulate those from Yakuza, etc.

>I heard they have a rather small budget but this is just lazy

I think I saw that Sony is gonna do their best this E3 after the poor reception last year. I think personally they thought the XBOX conference was gonna blow everything out of the water and they didn't focus that much on some bombs that year. That and lack of any bombs really.

Pretty sure he's just shitposting.

>le meme gif
My argument just got absolutely destroyed.

>I don't agree with/I don't like (thing)
>SHITPOSTER, DON'T LISTEN TO HIM
ok

Only part I had trouble understanding in 1 was the plot dumb by Kazama near the end where he tells Kiryu that he killed his parents. I thought he was saying that he's Kiryus father.

I only had studied japanese for a year when I played through those games and had very little problems.

1 is set 17 years after 0. Nishiki's inferiority complex got to him, especially with how without Kiryu he couldn't stand on his own, and with how his sister died after all he'd done. Kiwami really shows his transformation well, I don't understand.

Now you're just being obvious. It has nothing to do with your opinion, you seem not to not understand that HgG is still a Yakuza game.

>Argument
What fucking argument? You want them to not reuse assets because it's a different IP even though it's just another Yakuza with a HNK skin.
I'll bet money that the city is probably shaped like Kamurocho or the cities of the other games.

Do you have any resources? I know hiragana and katakana but I am starting to diminish with Kanji.

This, I don't see why people had a problem with it. By the time Kiryu gets out Nishki's spent half of his life without him

I don't disagree that it does good at showing the transformation.

I hope you guys are right. I really want HnK receive you to stay in the US release though

Kanji is a bitch. You just need to push through with whatever works for you, either reading something and searching words you don't know, or using an Anki deck. It'll take a long while unless you are really disciplined.

Don't get your hopes up. Music almost always gets the axe

Is Receive You played by a real band like when they did it in Kiwami? Then it's not staying in.

Oh, I hadn't seen that in the 5 or so hours I was at it but the sheer amount of Riichi Ippatsus was driving me up a wall. You would literally get Ron'd half the time as soon as someone called Riichi, I had never seen that so far, the worst was in 2 HD some guys would do the Riichi you explained constantly even on the easy table and you would just get the worst hands imaginable.

It's not a reference that I can think of. Things like Fei Hu using Okita's (Majima in Ishin)'s style during the katana training and Ryuji's hilarious substory are examples of references. Some of the stuff Bacchus says are also references to later games, Lee is literally Yakuza 5 Saejima with how he dresses later on including the bald head, Kamiyama is one of the agents you can send out on Equipment Searches, Majima literally looks like Amon but chalk that up to being a joke more than anything, and Nishitani's moveset is Majima's in the later games. That's all I can think of as a reference off the top of my head right now.

Im blasting through small kanji atm. Did you use Genki at all?

I've just been studying the DJT resources (Anki mostly) and read untranslated manga.
Tae Kims has also been good for grammar but I'm not sure if that's in DJT resources.

I didn't, not that user by the way. I used Tae Kim's guide which I found a lot better and "adult" if that makes sense. After that it's mostly reading and watching anime until the grammar really sticks. But that's the easy part, grammar won't really be a problem, especially if you don't intend to speak or write a lot. Vocabulary and kanji are what's hard as nails.

There's also a Shinji and a Daigo substory.

I took two years of Japanese in university but kanji gave me the hardest time. Vocab and gramma I got pretty easily, but kanji broke me.

I never did continue after uni and I wish I had. I don't really have much time these says to learn kanji, and I've probably forgotten all the grammar/vocab. Hiragana and katakana stuck with me though.

Maybe someday I'll try again

>Tae kim

I will check that out.

I assume leave Romaji and English at home to immerse myself into Japanese? I understand kanji by their meanings and not their words, so it's weird.

Yeah, it has a similar gameplay to Yakuza, it has Yakuza voice actors, it even has Kiryu skin.
But that doesn't make it a Yakuza game.
It's like Rockstar had GTA's voice actors in new RDR.
Just because it has a few similarities it doesn't mean it has to be the same.
I'm not saying
>I want zero reused assets
I'm saying
>don't use yakuza assets for everything
Also HnK is kind of a big thing, it deserves treating it like an actual game and not
>yeah, add a few textures here, 5 new animations there and we are done

>Bought Yakuza 0 on release
>Got half way through when the Cabaret club made me want to kill myself
>Stop playing and the game fell to the wayside
>Clear out my backlog and realise I never finished it
>Spend a couple of hours a day for the last week finishing off the minigame
>Have a blast playing through the rest of the substories and the main story today
>MFW I look up the release date and discover it took me a literal year just to clear the main story
If I haven't 100%'d 0 and Kiwami by August then something is seriously wrong with me

youtube.com/watch?v=5K8OQs6BT0E

Oh jeez!
I got destroyed once again.

at least you cleared out your backlog during that time

Kanji is vocabulary though. I find it's a lot easier to memorize kanji when you know one or two words with it, but that stacks up.
I wouldn't really do that as I feel you'll burn out if you are studying all the time.

sounds pretty par for the course with yakuza.

You don't seem to realize that it's not a Hokuto no Ken game only. It's a crossover, it's called Like a North Star (as in Like a Dragon), it's like Ishin which had historical characters played by Yakuza characters, only this time they are playing HnK characters. I bet they thought about using the Yakuza designs for the characters at some point.

I think you are exaggerating on the reused assets, especially since the game has such a different setting.

I think its funny how kiwami 2 and such are getting shit for reusing assets yet 0 gets a free pass just cause people didnt get to play ishin which it borrows a fuck ton of animations from.

Yet for some reason people have issues with kiwami 2 having posters from the future in arcades, when 0 also had that too.

newfags bring nothing but ruin

Not like you had anything worth seriously replying to.

Kiryu's ending is fine. Its just a shitty send-off. The final boss is also terrible in all aspects.

>I think you are exaggerating on the reused assets, especially since the game has such a different setting.

Oh he definitely is to get a reaction out of people. It has about the same amount of reused animations and shit as every other Yakuza game. There's tons of animations that are still present in 6 that were there way back in 1.

>kiwami 2 and such are getting shit for reusing assets
I've literally not seen this in any thread but one where one faggot was adamant on shitting on everything in the game but graphics.

It's kind of silly to complain about reused assets when Kenzan, 3, 4, 5, Ishin, 0 and Kiwami run on the same engine, and with most games being majorly set in the same city.

>yet 0 gets a free pass just cause people didnt get to play ishin which it borrows a fuck ton of animations from.
Ishin never released in the west but yes, if you play Ishin and 0 they're nearly identical other than the setting.

Yeah I could never really wrap my head around kanji properly. I had no problem learning vocab just from hearing it or seeing the furigana, but rarely could I get the kanji to click in my mind. I also was busy with finishing up school at the time though so I know I didn't dedicate nearly as much time to it as I could've.

Well, fair enough.
But reused assets is a big no-no for me nonetheless.
>shit, I don't know how to reply
>"y-your post was bad"

>Cabaret club made me want to kill myself

Imagine having taste this shit.

People getting so anal about starting at 1 moreorless didn't exist in the older threads too ironically, since most people here actually started at the Ps3 games and didn't pretend that they didn't.

>But reused assets is a big no-no for me nonetheless.
Have you played more than one game in this series?

why is 3 such a pain to play

I miss legacy CAPTCHA

You should probably stay away from Yakuza games then

Then you should not bother with the rest of the series since you've only played one of them so far.

>in this series
Exactly

I don't think there's actually a lot of people that really think it's the best to start with 1. Some people prefer that style of tackling a series, but I doubt it's anything near a majority.

It's not. The running segments were the only really shit parts which they thankfully improved on in 4.