Top 3 Metroid-Likes

What are your 3 favorites? The term "metroidvania" is retarded.

>Super is only Metroid like
(You)

>The term "metroidvania" is retarded.

I prefer "Jet Set Willy clone", personally.

my favorite Castlevania-Like is Other-M

1. Metroid Prime 3
2. Metroid Zero Mission
3. Super Metroid but you replace Tourian with reading Super Comic Super Special

La-mulana, Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid, in that order.

>La-mulana
Wat

Super Metroid, Aria of Sorrow, and Hollow Knight. A bit basic but its the truth.

I will never understand the "La-mulana isn't a metroidvania" meme. My best guest is that it's cave story fans that are bitter that nobody considers cave story a metroidvania but that doesn't even make sense.

jet set willy didnt have map progression tied to item and ability collection though.

Because you don't get powers to improve your abilities, you get items to use in specific situations. It's more like Zelda than Metroid.

super metroid
metroid prime 1
metroid prime 2

>cave story fans that are bitter that nobody considers cave story a metroidvania
what, when did being a metroidvania become a good thing? I mean, is not a bad thing either, but I can't see why someone would be bitter because something is not considered within a genre (Either way, I agree, La Mulana is a metroidvania)

>Liking MP2

>powers≠items
They are only different in concept, in fucntion both works towards item/power based progression. A game that blurred the line more on what is a metroidvania would be Toki Tori 2

yeah, it's the best game in the series. More flawed than super or prime 1 but its highs make up for it

Just say "Boost Guardian" at him until he goes away.

boost guardian is one of the best bosses in the series though, just because he kicked your ass doesn't mean he's bad. He encourages high risk high reward with a constant onslaught of attacks. Thank god prime 2 was rushed or else Nintendo would casualize it

Atleast 50% of the items do more than be context-sensitive tools. Try playing the game randomized

>I will never understand the "La-mulana isn't a metroidvania" meme.

Sometimes wat just means wat. I never heard of the game.

b-but it's comfy

Haven't played too many, but I liked Zero Mission yet disliked Fusion. Getting chased by the clone thing wasn't really all that intimidating and text dumps during elevators really detracted from my enjoyment. ZM was good enough that I even liked the weird stealth ending; seemed like a bonus mission separate to the actual game and was still somewhat fun

Aside from super (which I'm planning to play anyway), what other games let you just run around fighting and and exploring without bogging you down with exposition or enforced linearity?

Question: should games like Terraria be considered Metroid-likes? Their structure and progression bears resemblance, but being rogue-like in nature it inherently means there's no structured world to travel through. I only bring it up because of that tier list that always had Terraria near the top.

If you like Super Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania, and Myst, play it.

>Metroid-Likes

no

>Metroid-like
>Not metroidvania
YOU are retarded.

>guacamaymay

>frogposter

>Guacameme
>version I got still had memes all over the place
I mean everything untouched by them are fine, but it really drags the game as a whole down, big time.

castlevania is garbage

>Just because it's a massive difficulty spike that happens about 35% of the game that doesn't get as difficult until 85% of the game doesn't mean he's bad

Don't design games.

t. user with no taste

>muh difficulty curve chart
there's nothing wrong with difficulty spikes

>The term "metroidvania" is retarded.
>Metroid-Likes

Well you offered a terrible alternative. When you tell someone "Metroid Like", how are they instantly supposed to know you aren't referring to Metroid Prime or Other M? Those are also Metroid games.

Metroidvania explains what you mean immediately, because only one type of game/game play have ever merged between these two franchises.

Objective list of Castleroids.

I was 2 when metroid prime came out and now I'm allowed to post here.

They're not the same at all. A power up is something that affects your core abilities and as a result it also affects how you as a player control your character in a meaningful way from moment to moment. An item is something you equip and use in a situation where it's useful and don't touch it otherwise, and it has no impact on your standard abilities and moment to moment control.
The morph ball in Metroid doesn't just allow you to move through small passages, it allows you to avoid attacks by rolling under them. The high jump doesn't just let you reach new areas by jumping higher, it gives you more mobility as you move around. The dash does the same thing, it doesn't just let you break blocks. The beam upgrades don't just let you open new doors, they also increase your damage and let you shoot through walls or enemies, improving your combat ability at the same time. Metroid and games like Metroid are all about having powerups that don't just open up the map, they also improve your character.
Zelda is different, in Zelda you get the torch, the fire rod, the ice rod, bombs, the boomerang, arrows, and so on. All of them might have a combat use, but they're also something you need to swap in and out and use in certain situations and most items primarily exist just to be used for solving certain puzzles and are worthless outside of those puzzles. La Mulana follows the same formula.
Of course both types of games have some overlap; La Mulana has the double jump while Metroid has the missiles, but they still both follow distinctly different approaches to character progression and how that progression affects the player's control.

you have no taste. classicvania has far more substance.

Super metroid
Hollow Knight
Kirby and the amazing Mirror

retard

Jokes on you, I like both classic and RPG castlevania.

>jokes on you, my taste is only half as shitty

Axiom Verge is literally a Metroid copy with new sprites thrown in. Not top 3 material and definitely not a "vania"

1. Super Metroid
2. La Mulana
3. Hollow Knight

Better than have full shit taste like (You).

Dark souls is my favourite soulsvania

>If you like Super Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania, and Myst, play it.

It looks like a cross between Startropics and Sotn, judging from youtube.

>not a "vania"
good

Undervania :^)

Hollow Knight
Strider (2014)
Castlevania: SotN

Did Super Turbo get rid of the memes?

Yooka Laylee
Super Mario Odyssey
Baldur's Gate II

>my favorite anime is cory in the house HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

am i the only one that thinks metroidvania's are a terrible genre?

>Nes Metroid
>Not "OH FUCK GET AWAY" Tier

>Strider
>meh tier
Them's fighting words faggot. I love that game.

I paid a dollar for it and didn't feel too too ripped off.

>terrible taste
>on Sup Forums
I'm not very surprised.

I would've enjoyed it more if the game didn't crash on me every 15 minutes.

No. And that tier list is just a shitpost.

They're different things.

>Ghost Song

I really want it, but FFS the dev announced they're rebuilding it on a new engine so late in development. It's going to be a loong time, if ever.

He's done that like three times.

Game never crashed for me. And I play it all the time.

>La-Mulana in the holy trinity
While I agree with this, I'm surprised this goes largely uncontested considering its age and how many people like to rag on it because they can't git gud.

Am I blind or is Order of Ecclesia is totally missing

Not really a metroidvania. Also it'a quite bad but I don't want to listen to people arguing with me about it every time I post it.

Fixed.

>Hollow Knight in holy trinity

>shadow complex
>hollow knight
>rabi-ribi
>valdis story
that high

>Hollow Knight that high
Oh no no no

Alright, glorious samefag.

What are your criticisms on Hollow Knight?

Nothing really, I'm just a fag

Shadow Complex is simple but enjoyable for how short it is.
Hollow Knight and Rabi-Ribi are both great games and among the best in the genre.
Valdis Story is only good, that's why it's only in the good section among the other games that are only good.

It has a similar problem to Axiom Verge in that the map is too big and cumbersome to traverse despite the shortcuts available, especially when it's built around finding secrets and expects you to spend a significant amount of time backtracking and aimlessly wandering.

Axiom Verge isn't that big so that didn't bother me.

Nigger what? Hollow Knight actually has fast travel points, Axiom Verge doesn't. Hollow Knight's map has many connections to different areas, Axiom Verge doesn't. Hollow Knight is largely non-linear, Axiom Verge is largely linear. Hollow Knight's areas all have very distinct visuals making locations of note easy to remember, Axiom Verge's areas get palette swaps of the same tilesets. Hollow Knight cannot possibly be worse or even as bad as Axiom Verge is in such a regard.

Jesus Christ what a fucking mess. Never post again.

>has shortcuts and fast travel
>still is a complete fucking slog to get from wherever you are to the room you want to be

>nobody considers cave story a metroidvania
Who cares tho
It's still a great game, better than that mulan shit

>metroid zero mission
>hollow Knight
Shantae and the pirate's curse

Symphony
Super metroid
Aria of sorrow

All of the Iga-vanias are great (including circle)
Same goes for the metroid series (except for other m)

Why the FUCK is it okay for people to like Metroid on the NES?

It's clunky and been improved on in every way, but it's still a great game in its own right.

Super Metroid
Return of Egypt
Ori and the Blind Forest

>trial and error gameplay
>"technical limitations" (that did not exist in games released the same year on the same system) used as an excuse for things that make the game unnecessarily more frustrating.
>frequently crashes
>arbitrary health grinding
>next to no recovery time if you get hit, so your health could drain quickly if you bounce between two enemies
>enemies hitting you as you enter rooms with no way for you to avoid them

I should get a webm of that last one. Brb.

I don't see how that's relevant, classicvania has far more substance than Metroid too.

Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

However, i don't like the "metroidvania" aspect of it, because it needs that Batman doesn't have two of his essential gadgets from the start (the batclaw and the explosive gel).

You see, the difference between Other M and Metroid is that one game was made with heavy influence by Yoshio Sakamoto and has a clusterfuck of terrible design decisions that make me want to slam my head against a wall, and the other was released in 2010.

Has there ever been a castlevania like indie game to justify the vania part of metroidvania

I'm pretty sure that categorizes both

>Metroid was released in 2010

I meant the heavy influence from sakamoto and clusterfuck of terrible design decisions

Ah. Well you see, that's the joke. It's a bait-and-switch comparison.

La Mulana is its own thing, and it plays very differently to most games that fall under the "Metroidvania" label
>Super Metroid - action 2D exploration
>SOTN - action 2D exploration
>Aria of Sorrow - action 2D exploration
>Hollow Knight - action 2D exploration
>Rabi Ribi - action 2D exploration with some bullet hell elements
>La Mulana - 2D exploration with heavy focus on cryptic puzzles and action