What is your favorite castlevania game?

what is your favorite castlevania game?

It'd have to be aria as far as metroidvanias go, SOTN is also great but only the first half, I stopped after the castle flips.

Ecclesia and Rondo of Blood. Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow tied for third place.

SOTN and HOD

>HOD
Harmony of Dissonance or Harmony of Despair?

Portrait, Sotn, and Aria of Kino for the metroidvanias
CV3, Rondo, and X68000 for classicvanias

It's a really hard series to pick just one

It's rare to find someone who puts Dissonance as their favorite. I honestly really liked it but some design choices in it were pretty fucking weird.

Aria of Sorrow hands down.

Rondo of Blood. Best Classicvania, with a bunch of exploration, alternate paths, hidden levels and more to boot. It feels like the link between the classic and Metroidvania eras in that way but it's still classic, rely on your senses, hardcore Castlevania.

fuck off retard

>Final Toccata

Castlevania. Best level design, no gimmicks.

>Lost Portrait

I like the design of rondo x the most. It's just straightforward and difficult

Touhoumania

Call me an idiot for not playing any other Castlevania outside of aria of sorrow, but isn't it being the best of the series kinda meme answear?

I mean, I enjoyed the exploration, beautiful graphics especially since it's GBA title, which makes it double impressive, hell even the story was ok, but is it really be-all end-all of castlevania games?

It's a valid answer really. Just depends on how you feel about the characters and the souls and whatnot. There is no objective best CV but Aria isn't a stupid pick.

the only thing meme about it is the castlekino meme which is fairly recent, AoS has been the metroidvania favorite next to SotN since it came out and it almost certainly top 5 most popular games in the series

As far as Metroidvanias go, I'd say there's really no "bad" one so any of them is a safe choice.

It's incredible how I was blown away by both Touhouvanias. Never expected them to be so fucking good.

Real fucking shame that Frontier Aja went under making Big Bang Beat Revolve which is also a pretty good fucking game.

>God tier
III, IV, RoB, SotN, HoDissonance

>Great tier
AoS, Bloodlines, Castlevania, Vampire Killer

>Average tier
Simon's Quest, LoD, Chronicles, CotM, LoI, CoD, Adventure, Haunted Castle

>Bad tier
Belmont's Revenge, Legends

>Shit tier
PoR, DoS, Adventure, LoS, Judgment

>Worst in the series
Dracula X, OoE

This is a strange opinion user

Harmony of Despair

For example?

>OoE
>Worst
?????

what's the joke? i found creaky to be only hard for people who can't kite.

my favorite castlevania is contra

charlotte a cute

CV1 for the NES
because thats the only one I've actually beaten

yes

Charlotte is made for sex.

>Order of Eclessia at worst

Circle of the Moon.

Adventure is there twice? You mean Adventure Rebirth?

Castlevania, simple, challenging, and i'm actually good at it

Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow. Actually enjoyed Curse of Darkness as well

>HoDis at God instead of Average
>AoS at High instead of God
>Simon's Quest at Average instead of Bad
>Adventure at Average instead of Bad
>PoR at Shit instead of Great
>OoE at Worst instead of Great

>nu-Castlevania
It's not Castlevania, all you have is Dracula and its castle at the end of the game.
>no whip guy or Belmont
The name Castlevania literally demands this. Richter was still alive when this happened, yet still no Richter mode.
No pervious Castlevania characters either, except Dracula of course.
>Glyph system
Same weapon again and again. What's the point of the Bow Glyph when it was useless since SotN? what's the point of the Axe Glyph when it does 2 damage? What's the point of Dominus or whatever it's called, when it also uses your HP and becomes useless?
>Artificial difficulty
Everything takes 100 hits to kill, especially the bosses which take like 10 minutes to beat, which is boring repeating the same pattern all over again. Classicvanias had a way better difficulty.
>Shit story
Without a set date in the timeline. It's just 1800s lol.

It's boring as fuck and lacks any trace of Castlevania, it should have been called Order of Ecclesia.
They could have gave Juste an even better game, or a new Belmont althogether, but nope, just weebshit and waifus.

Gonna play a few metroidvanias before Bloodstained hits. I'm thinking Hollo Knight, Axium Verge and Mummy Demastered.

If any of these fizzles out, I'll just play another Castlevania.

is upside-down cake, err I mean castle, worth completing? I just got to it and the game has finally started to get challenging (maybe because I'm gimped out in Alucart gear trying to get item drops) I'd like to see it through but I'm itching to start Suikoden no Dentist or however you say Secret of Mana 2

My nigga

I like Juste's theme

3 followed by 1 followed by Rondo followed by 4 followed by Bloodlines. Those are the top 5 as far as I'm concerned.

It's the best part of the game IMO. You can explore it in any order you like instead of being railroaded all constantly.

>HoDis at God instead of Average
This is what Gamefaqs and parrots from here and Reddit told me and what i was expecting when i first played it. But nope, the OST is great if you look on the bright side, better gameplay than AoS and CotM, has a badass belmont, minimalist and well rounded story. Best metroidvania, just behind SotN.
>AoS at High instead of God
Futuristic 2035 story with some dude on crack, reincarnation of Dracula bullshit and the complete inclusion of weebshit makes it drop a tier.
>Simon's Quest at Average instead of Bad
This is what everyone thinks thanks to AVGN. it's boring since it has an empty overworld and you need a walkthrough to play it, but overall it's worthy of Average.
>Adventure at Average instead of Bad
I don't care about this, but for gameboy it's decent i think.
>PoR at Shit instead of Great
Cancerous long cutscenes just like DoS, dumb partner teamwork gimmick, piss easy just like DoS, meh OST outside of Crazed Moon. Average at best.
>OoE at Worst instead of Great
See

Like why the fuck does Juste feel it necessary to decorate a room in Drac's castle? The castle that's famous for disappearing once Dracula is vanquished?

Also the music quality, severely underestimating the GBA's audio capabilities and having GBC-grade music, only for the end credits to suddenly be wav-audio quality.

I didn't play as many but for now my favourite is Rondo of Blood, SotN has one of the best soundtracks I ever heard.

I started the series with the spinoff lords of shadows and it was deacent, a bit dissapointed with the 2nd game oh well, now I can fully enjoy the old games.

Maybe someone can advise which one should I play next? I tried the one where you're the white guy fag but after Rondo of blood it was rather borring.

Also Richter Belmont is my favourite Belmont till now, It's a bit fuckedup but I saw the arts for SotN and I want to paint him and put him up on my wall jesus...

1,2,3,4 for Classicvania. DS games for Metroid

>I stopped after the castle flips.

They didn't even try to hide their inspiration.

can someone explain why exactly Creaking Skull became a meme?

Of what I've played, Rondo.
I do have aria and dawn of sorrow in my backlog though.

Fuck, that reminds me. I rearranged my living room and I have no fucking clue where my Dawn of Sorrow copy went. Guess I'm looking for that all day.

Persistence and dedication, mostly.

Neat

>simo's quest average
Once you have the game all figured out there's a certain appeal but I just don't see it.

>metroidvanias
SOTN
CoTM
HoDis
>classicvanias
CV3
Rondo
CV1

Also special mention to harmony of despair but that doesn’t really fit into either category

I think it's about the "worst castlevania" thread meme which always uses those two.

Someone kept posting a thread with the pic of the creaking skull. Someone else started making edits of it

Ritcher design on SoTN is just way too cool, I'm still mad no one at Konami put effort int making his sprite resemble the character more instead of just using the Rondo one.

I loved Aria of Sorrow, but I think I missed something important. I killed Dracula, but there was supposed to be some type of hidden thing at the end, the real boss or something?

LoS1, LoS2, MoF

>piss easy just like DoS
>just like DoS
What the fuck are you talking about, user? DoS had a hard mode that was NG+ only and PoR had Old Axe Armor hard mode level 1.

>classicvania
Rondo of Blood
Castlevania 1
Castlevania 4
>metroidvania
Order of Ecclesia
Castle of the Moon
Portrait of Ruin

your least favorite one

I really like LoS

That's alright unless you also liked Mirror of Fate.

Never touched it.

I was impressed since LoS 2 has a no QTE option, more games should add that.

worst castlemania ever + creaking skull pic has been posted for over 5 years here on Sup Forums iirc, last year some autist started making a billion edits of creaking skull
and I love them
I'm the one who made this one though

a literal autistic posted creaking skull with the title "let's discuss the worst castelvania of all time" just about everyday for 2 years. Anons got bored, memes ensued, only the eight people who actually went into those threads remember.

can't knock it, I forced a meme on fucking 7chan over a decade ago and people are still posting it on some obscure *chans

>It's been 5 years since Worst Castlemania
boy, time sure goes fast.

I never played any of the castlevania games. Am I missing out?

>tfw your laptop is too shit to emulate DS
Looks like I'm never playing OOE or POR

Post >tfw
>Konami will never make another castlevania game ever again

I'd say yes since most of them have a really good presentation.

>Battle of 1999 game never
Why live

Really bothers me how there will never be anything else quite like it, this was just a 1 time thing and it sucks.

I should really get around playing them, but I'm too much of a brainlet to emulate shit

Do people hate Lament of Innocence or did nobody play it?

I mean, what else would be? The series is solid, but none of the games are really incredible. They're all pretty simplistic.

Use No$GBA

Bad camera angles

>PoR
>Shit

Thank God.
No one responsible for good Castlevania's is working for Konami anyway.
People who made classicvania's fucked off of that shitty company probably ages ago. Ayami and Amano are freelancers, as is the guy who made art for OoE iirc, etc.
There's no magical man held in Konami torture dungeon, who is somehow responsible for All That Is Good, so fuck em

AoS, Ecclesia and CotM desu.

DoS is nothing special, PoR a HoD have something in them that keeps me from playing them to the end.

SotN feels hollow.

Rondo is too hard for me

>Rondo too hard
Try the PSP remake, I went through that one first then I just played the original which is also there anyway.

A good d-pad helps too.

The Metroidvanias are overrated in my opinion. They have no replayability nor challenge.

for not to mention the weird color effects on the border of some rooms.
the two different castle's being kinda bland and not really rewarding to explore.

I am well aware the Burden of proof lies on the one who claims things.

But lets disregard everything I've said.

What made you Enjoy Harmony of Dissonance? :)

Metroidvanias aren't for everyone user, I don't think anyone is going to hold you at gunpoint to finish playing through one.

We can only make recommendations for your vague critiques.

>nor challenge
PoR and OoE did.

Who else prefers Dracula X over Rondo of Blood?
>No unskippable anime cutscenes
>Saving the maidens and obtaining other secrets has more incentive behind it because no overworld means starting a new playthrough if you missed them, instead of selecting the level and replaying it without consequence
>Features more platforming in the form of vertical levels
>Dracula isn't a pushover

Literally nobody, it's a gimped port