The Perfect Dark XBLA remaster is one of the greatest remasters of all time. It takes the original game...

The Perfect Dark XBLA remaster is one of the greatest remasters of all time. It takes the original game, which was a masterpiece, and then raises the framerate from 16-20fps with dips into the single digits to a blistering 60fps, and overhauls the graphics with a nice clean art style and new models.

Attached: Perfect_Dark_XBLA_cover.jpg (300x359, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5fuUVG3dj50
m.youtube.com/watch?v=C4xbK-kYqRY
youtube.com/watch?v=5wwt5kF61Y0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it also messes up the artstyle alittle

Attached: remake_pd1.jpg (800x1400, 207K)

>muh artstyle

Attached: dogshades.gif (500x430, 1.51M)

That is true, but in the grand scheme of things, it respects the original art style for the most part. I do like Cassanda's 1980's pop music video haircut, though, and I think her new version is kinda stupidly formal. Mr Blonde is interesting because his original face is Mr Stamper from Tomorrow Never Dies.

I find it a little odd how... ignored Perfect Dark XBLA is. I know it was one of the best selling XBLA games back in the day, but I feel like maybe Perfect Dark falls on the wrong side of a demographic divide. The "my first console was a PS2/Gamecube" divide. The modern audience that loses their shit when expected to navigate a mission without giant arrows and constant voiceovers telling them what to do. (The irony is that Perfect Dark kinda pioneered the protagonist talking to themselves in order to provide hints, AFAIK.)

>artstyle doesnt matter

Attached: Mark_IV_Halo_3-Halo_4_comparison.png (1366x768, 472K)

I never did play this even though I absolutely loved PD growing up. Can I still play this or no?

Also, Microsoft really should revive PD the same way they revived KI.

this. jesus christ, every fucking remaster/remake theres only one autist who complains about the artstyle

>I never did play this even though I absolutely loved PD growing up. Can I still play this or no?
It's available on Xbox 360 through XBLA and Xbox One through the Rare Replay collection. If you have either one of them, then yes. PC emulation is also making good progress, but it'll be a while before it's 100% solid.

youtu.be/5fuUVG3dj50

>Also, Microsoft really should revive PD the same way they revived KI.
There is a rumour that there's a new Perfect Dark in development. Zero concrete details, though.

It can be a fair criticism. Remember Silent Hill HD?

I'll take a slightly messed up artstyle at 60FPS over the original any day.

The N64 original can be emulated at kinda-60fps, but it's fiddly and accurately emulating Perfect Dark is harder than you'd think.

i actually played it online a little back when there were players

does it retain co-op?

Co-op and counter-op and all that stuff is still intact.

There's nothing wrong with this

it has all the features of the features.

and it adds online MP + goldeneye weapons in MP. the original only had GE weapons in SP

left or right?

Attached: farsight4.jpg (833x361, 79K)

Just wish the controls weren't so dog shit. They just mapped the N64 controls to the 360 gamepad without any retooling so aiming feels like trying to draw a circle with an etch-a-sketch

Right, those holes look pretty cool

awesome, i hope it gets fully emulated soon so i can pl-
sweet fucking christ

Attached: 1390995737757.jpg (180x157, 13K)

Certain autists focus way too hard on it when there are worse issues.

You can even do online splitscreen, where it shows the other person's screen.

Lol wut it looks great fagget.

>Just wish the controls weren't so dog shit. They just mapped the N64 controls to the 360 gamepad without any retooling so aiming feels like trying to draw a circle with an etch-a-sketch
Aiming was perfectly fine. I've never understood criticisms of PD XBLA's aiming. It was no different from something like Nightfire, particularly after they added an option to lock the crosshairs to center screen.

Some of the art changes are closer to the concept art. The Maian weapons were a tough call because the N64 versions rely on really ambiguous texture work.

Reloading looked better with the left.

What the fuck do you mean? It looks exactly like the original but with higher quality textures

Attached: IMG_1063.jpg (496x600, 57K)

>It's available on Xbox 360 through XBLA and Xbox One through the Rare Replay collection. If you have either one of them, then yes. PC emulation is also making good progress, but it'll be a while before it's 100% solid.
I'll try to get the 360 XBLA version before it's shut down, then.

>There is a rumour that there's a new Perfect Dark in development. Zero concrete details, though.
I hope it's true! Was just thinking the other day how a new PD could be hype as fuck if done right.

Characters mouth still don't move when they talk, which is awful. They just replaced the textures of the models.

Yeah, the only problem with the original is the framerate. I hope one day the Xenia emulator can play the remake.

>implying the way master chief looks matters when you don't even see it when you're playing

Attached: leocarvello.png (175x169, 68K)

>Characters mouth still don't move when they talk, which is awful.
There are a number of games where character mouths don't move when speaking. Bulletstorm comes to mind. It's a minor blip. No lipsync is better than bad lipsync. Just pretend you're at the theatre and everyone onstage is wearing masks.
>They just replaced the textures of the models.
The models are 100% original. All the character models were replaced with new ones. Pretty much all the props were replaced, too. The only thing that's largely untouched is environment geometry.

Is the Rare Replay version of PD the remaster or the original?

>I hope one day the Xenia emulator can play the remake.
It's actually pretty much completely playable, AFAIK. But shiny surfaces are distorted and the physics play up occasionally. Also the lighting is wrong. Someone posted the modded version of XBLA that unlocks full versions of XBLA titles and I played through the first few missions just fine on Xenia. Hopefully Xenia continues to putter along and it'll work perfectly in a year or so.

Remaster. The only Rare Replay game with a remaster that isn't the remaster version is Conker.

I can't stand the way the crosshairs move in either version. It was fine on the N64 but with dual analog you don't need that shit

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Oh god, what did they do to my baby?

>I can't stand the way the crosshairs move in either version.
They patched in an option to disable that for people who don't want it.

You can't make accusations like that without evidence - I ashhume you have some?

Attached: pres.jpg (169x284, 13K)

THIS IS A RECORDING OF A MEETING BETWEEN TRENT AND THE OTHER CONSPIRATORS

i honestly love them both.

disappointed that the xbla doesn't support as many simulants running around, and there are fewer maps/weapons overall. but its still god damn fun, only reason i bought a xbox360

How did they predict Obama was going to be president?

Why did they put wallpaper on it?

>exactly like the original but with higher quality textures
>cassandras hair is entirely different shape
>just textures

Pretty sure the xbla version has 8 simulants too, might need to do some stuff to unlock them though.

Too bad the deadzones of the game make aiming less precise than the n64 version.
>n64 version framerate
>360 imprecise aiming
I dont think ill ever be able to enjoy this game.

What deadzones? I played the 360 version just last week and the controls are spot-on.

No they arent. Could be my controller but I cant seem to be very precise with the aiming. It seems there is a small distance from the center where the game doesnt pick up me moving the stick. This is of course while actually holding the aim button. Maybe not enough to fuck you up but enough to fuck me up.

I've been playing this, Grabbed and Viva when I load up RR. It's one of the best fps of all time.

>It seems there is a small distance from the center where the game doesnt pick up me moving the stick.
Doesn't literally every single Xbox 360 game have that because it's a hardware characteristic? The Dual Shock's deadzones are even worse. It's basically an attempt to prevent stick drift.

>This is of course while actually holding the aim button.
Precision aiming is largely redundant, though.

If her hair were modeled 1:1 with higher textures, she'd look like Paul Phoenix

Attached: paul-retro.jpg (423x600, 22K)

>Precision aiming is largely redundant, though.
To clarify, you simply point your guns and shoot in PD XBLA. The secondary aiming system works like the one in Nightfire, which was also a dual analogue shooter. It's for sniping and careful aiming of non-scoped weapons at long distances. Most shooting doesn't require it.

Its fucking GREAT op, but its a shame that is stuck on a console with a innacurate control compared to the original that I can't aim for shit on it, such a shame.

Attached: gt.jpg (178x185, 7K)

Just use the KB+Mouse device.

It emulates the 360 stick, wich is by default innacurate, it won't magically add 95% of the pressure levels it lack.

bait

Oh shit, I'm sorry.

Did they release this on PC?

Nope, Microsoft hates money

not an art change, it was an entirely new suit of armor.

No, because Rare Replay was released a year before the Play Anywhere initiative where they decided all Xbox games would come to PC as well.

A bunch of the games were just 360 downloads.

Why everyone saying that PD on N64 emulator is buggy and not completed. Far as I know there is a special emulator build for Prerfect Dark and 007.
Also Wii U existing, you can play original there too.

The originals had awful framerate.

>Why everyone saying that PD on N64 emulator is buggy and not completed.
Perfect Dark has insanely complicated framebuffer and depth effects. The only way to handle them all properly is the Angrylion software renderer. GLideN64 is making progress, but it has a ways to go.
>Also Wii U existing, you can play original there too.
The Wii U's N64 emulation is kind of a joke.
Emulators run PD at 40-60fps through timer modification.

Sorry for what? Our daddy taught us not to be ashamed of our sticks.

Cheaters BTFO

>Emulators run PD at 40-60fps through timer modification.
On Wii U?

The Wii U's N64 emulator is completely useless.

Wait wait wait, so complications you are talking about are framerate wich isn't 60 fps and depth of view?
Literally unplayable.

You know I had hooked up my 360 a few days ago just to replay some Tales of Vesperia, DS1, Radiant Silvergun and Virtual On, I think I might crack and buy this, loved this game to death on N64

>leocarvello.png
>leo
Shame on you.

Why did Paul become such a joke?

So this is the "problem" all talking about?
This thread looks like MC shilling for a decades old game.

>great remaster
>stuck on console

>not having an xbox

WHY... MEEEEEEEeeee-h?!?!

BLOODY STUPID GUN!

I don't wanna dieeee

Dumb PCfag

NOOOOooOoOoooOooOoooOooO

m.youtube.com/watch?v=C4xbK-kYqRY

You BITCH!

eh, that's nit picky in this case. those are pretty good representations.

this remaster sucked
the new graphics weren't optional
aiming got fucked because they didn't properly sync x/y values
new glitches

Attached: ss-perfect-dark-xbla-007.jpg (1280x720, 651K)

>picks elvis body type
>picks normal head
>c-strafes your path
psssssssh nothing personell kid

Attached: 1500648350150.png (1024x749, 654K)

>Post YFW they renamed N-Bomb to N-Grenade on XBLA

Attached: CvUfPu1.jpg (480x270, 10K)

A surprisingly good remaster. The game is 'mostly' untainted and as such is still relatively close to the original. Aiming is a little odd but going from a single stick to two is of course going to seem odd. The MP is really nicely touched up and it actually did, at least a couple years ago, play well online, too. Sure hope we get a return to form but it won't be from Rare. Does anyone here remember hearing about Free Radical or their following company making a new game?

The only real differences that I can see being a problem is that cassandra obviously had a kind of modern angled hairdo which they completely ignored and both her and Mr. Blonde are wearing latex/leather textured clothing in the original which they also changed.

way better controller for fps
higher quality audio from original source
things that used to require button holds or combinations are now mapped to their own buttons
can play with 11 bots instead of 8
extra goldeneye weapons in multiplayer
1080p/60fps

yeah i'll take the sucky remaster. no LAN support is its biggest flaw.

youtube.com/watch?v=5wwt5kF61Y0

Attached: image.jpg (500x373, 42K)

I fail to see how. It goes from being a blurry fucking mess to something that's actually comprehensible. Granted, it looks better on a decent CRT with the N64 version. The controls are much better with the Xbox version and that is really non-debatable. The N64 couldn't really handle FPS games very well and had severe auto-aim to compensate for that. Or else you used the C-buttons for some other control method and it suuuuuuuuucked.

Did any N64 shooters use d-pad for movement and stick for aiming?

Attached: pdlogo4.gif (309x229, 166K)

rareware doesn't want you to see this

Attached: cetan.jpg (800x650, 74K)

no, her original hairstyle is just a beehive style

im fine with what happened to cassandra, and i understand that Mr Blonde being the bodyguard from Tomorrow Never Dies was just a matter of convenience in reusing a texture and that they likely couldnt have gotten ahold of the guy specifically for the remaster

i do, though, fucking despise the DY357LX looking like cheese, and the new Avenger (they could have at least kept the shiny version for the Investigation prototype model); and they made the Maians and Skedar look way too ugly

>Far as I know there is a special emulator build for Prerfect Dark and 007.
The only thing related to this i'm aware of is that you're thinking of the mouse injector patch. Thats just for controls, the emulation is still a huge pain in the ass

I'm fine with the Skedar but I agree with the aliens, seeing the aliens get hideous details in their faces sucked

home

Attached: ci.jpg (998x567, 125K)

I could see an argument for the backgrounds

i always wondered what was behind the locked doors here as a kid. i thought there'd be like a whole other half to the institute and it was just locked away for some reason. and the garage doors down in the mechanic area (way back in those useless catacomb hallways where they hid a shield on Defense), i thought youd be able to leave into the world if you got them open

I mean, not really. This seems about as inoffensive as you can get, short of just throwing the same models in at a higher res.