TALOS Workstation

TALOS specs and information has been released.

raptorengineering.com/TALOS/prerelease.php

Completely open and blobless operation right down to the firmware, all of which is customizable.

Are you hype?

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorengineering.com/TALOS/power_advantages.php
nicolas.limare.net/pro/notes/2014/12/12_arit_speed/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.6-POWER9-POWER
zet.aluzina.org/index.php/Zet_processor
oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/opensparc-t2-page-1446157.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's the backplate.

$3,000

Why is freetard shit always prohibitively expensive?

Because this is a minimum 64 thread 3.2GHz CPU?

How shit is the CPU? Is it on par with a desktop intel i3 or is it weaker than that?

It's not just this, it's in general. There's a rather large correlation between "muh open sores hardware" and "insane prices".

This device may, actually, possibly command the asking price, but I wouldn't hold my breath until some real world performance info comes out.

Fuck yeah DB-9! nothing says workstation like db-9.

raptorengineering.com/TALOS/power_advantages.php

Per thread it trades blows with a xeon E3-1270, the lowest tier has 64 threads, the highest has 96/

96 one pls

Nice trips but this is massively disappointing. Those results are saying that 8 * power8 cores can barely compete with 4 * x86 sandy bridge cores. The massive power consumption is frightening too.

It's way too expensive. Who do they think will buy this? Freetards ain't exactly making bank.

This. Also power8 is still light years behind in IPC and low power consumption compared to x86.

Especially toward pic related.

What, no it's not, those results are SINGLE THREAD performance.
>Single-Thread Memory Benchmark Comparisons

E3-1270 has 8 threads.

POWER8 has 64 minimum.

You get almost the exact thread performance with 8 times the CPU.

>non x86

No, I am not hype. I am the opposite of hype.

Seems too good to be true.

So does power8 have hardware accelerated compression like ARM does?

How does power8 compare to x86 in floating point calculations?

Something's not right there. Not that I wouldn't mind something replacing x86 but these results don't make sense. How is integer performance?

welcome to RISC

Aside from muh freedumbs, what would this motherboard be useful for?

>hardware accelerated compression but shit integer/floating point performance
welcome indeed

>So does power8 have hardware accelerated compression like ARM does?
Yes

nicolas.limare.net/pro/notes/2014/12/12_arit_speed/

Performs pretty damn well.

I'm not sure why everyone's in disbelief about the performance of a $1000 enterprise CPU.

I've never even dropped $3k on a car and I'll be picking this up, I can't wait.

What will you do with it?

It'll be my new desktop, I'm going to use it as one. I've absolutely no use for such a powerful machine but you can bet your ass I'm buying one.

I will be using it as a DAW and a VM workstation for simulating my work networks.

I might also like to see how fast Gentoo compiles on the thing.

Would it be possible to run PowerPC OS X in a VM on this thing?

does it have sli support?

Economies of scale

lol do you even know what POWER is??

Unlikely.

>not using power9

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.6-POWER9-POWER

Two VGA ports and an S-Video out, what the hell is this board intended for??

obvious troll/10

Won't you need to have applications developed specifically for this architecture? Is the software support good?

I care more about the being completely open part than the power part.

Where are you guys getting this number? it says $3,700 in OP's link. So it's like a $4k computer.
Are we going back to Risc workstations in the mid-90's era pricing?

I'm just going off of an old estimate, haven't looked at the price in a while.

it's a niche product produced in small volumes
in other words see nobody who's buying this shit gives a fuck about synthetic benchmarks, shitty single-threaded game FPS or saving an extra $5 a month on power

...And you think x86 is "open"?

I don't know why this guy is being called a troll. When I saw the backplate those were my thoughts exactly.

If those aren't two VGA ports and s-video out then what are they? And if they are, I haven't seen an s-video input TV in a while and most modern monitora don't even have VGA in. They have DVI and HDMI.

ps2 and

even if this is bait it's really pathetic to think that the r/pcmasterrace invasion could stoop this low

I wish these fags would make a cheaper version. this thing costs more than my car.

In theory it could be.

But it isn't and never will be.

OR

I could just buy a Sun OpenSPARC for $300

Fuck, now I feel dumb (rightfully). The PS/2 threw me off becaus of the color. I'm used to purple/green.

And I should have seen the DE-9. My mind told me that's not a VGA in but I listened to that other idiot. Why the fuck would they have two VGA porta next to an HDMI.

In my defense, I just woke up. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

It's not that 100% Free is expensive, as such. It's that the usual consumer shit with non-Free out the wazoo is cheap because it's shit thrown together as cheap as possible, and that involves licensing existing proprietary firmwares (or parts thereof), rather than taking the time/effort to build something solid and writing firmwares from scratch or carefully selecting based on what firmwares are already open.

Also, these aren't made with the stereotypical basement-dwelling neckbeard NEET in mind, these are made with corporations who can't afford not to be paranoid in mind.

DB9, About fucking time!

The lack of a third row of pins should've told you it wasn't VGA, and S-Video only has 4 pins.

How many of these do you think ol' Putin will be ordering up?

zet.aluzina.org/index.php/Zet_processor

>Zet processor is an open implementation of the so widely used IA-32 architecture (generally called x86). This project is very new but it can be synthesized in a configurable device such an FPGA or CPLD, or made as a custom ASIC. Five different FPGA boards are currently supported.

>This project is quite complex and is in a very early stage of development. Only the 16-bit part (ie. the 8086/80186) is supported, see Zet status for more information. It can boot successfully MS-DOS 6.22, FreeDOS 1.1 and run Microsoft Windows 3.0 and other MS-DOS games.

Where?

AFAIK the best SPARC desktop you can get is the Ultra 45/Blade 2500

not to mention the FPGA boards capable of runnings CPUs this complex generally cost at least a thousand dollars

>Where?
eBay

>best
I never said best, I said OPEN

>desktop
OpenSPARC is only available in rack-mount form factor

FYI, OpenSPARC runs at about 1.4GHz, has 8 threads per core, 8 cores per cpu, and can have 2 CPUs in a slim rack form factor (128 total threads), while supporting 256GB RAM

And you can get them on eBay for $300

The ISA itself is not open source, POWER and RISC-V are.

The fuck are you even on about? I've never seen a single realization of any OpenSPARC chip in a server or workstation.

they'll be able to run it.. but at lower clock.

A linux port should not be that hard to accomplish since most of the popular distros support PPC already and PPC is a subset of POWER.

Yes, yes. As I said I just woke up and I saw blurry shapes, closed the image, didn't bother to look closely. Splashed cold water in my face and hopefully that's my only moment of idiocy for the day.

>I've never seen a single realization of any OpenSPARC chip in a server or workstation.

Either you dont know what OpenSPARC is, or you have not researched it for more than 1 minute

OpenSPARC were put in MANY rack-mount and blade servers, and there is a large consistent supply of them on eBay.

Seriously, spend 5 minutes researching what OpenSPARC is and searching for models on eBay

Ubuntu repos are 96% the same for ppc64le.

Ardour runs on ppc64le.

Qemu+KVM runs on ppc64le.

I am set.

Linux ports already exist

Supported Operating Systems

Little Endian Mode
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 or higher
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 or higher
CentOS 7 or higher
Fedora 22 or higher
Debian 8.0 ("Jessie") or higher
Ubuntu 14.04.3 ("Trusty") or higher
Gentoo (planned, build in process)
Trisquel (planned for Trisquel 8)
Big Endian Mode
Fedora 22 or higher

>can't even use gentoo

no thx

>Gentoo
>hold on were installing now and hopefully the install will finish within the next week or two

Seems like you're burning money. You could build a machine to do that for less than half the price using conventional hardware. But perhaps you are wealthy.

UltraSPARC T-series != OpenSPARC T-series
The latter is derived from the former, they are not the same product.

It depends on how much processing you do in your DAW, currently once you go beyond a certain number of channels you need co-processors, this is one of the scenarios in which this board could be in many ways a budget machine in the DAW world.

You're right about the VM, I only need ~20 threads to accurately simulate the sites I manage.

POWER supposedly has some pretty neat virtualization extensions not found in x86 though.

You are wrong

T1 and T2 are both OpenSPARC

Marketing literature on the T2 in particular seems to say otherwise:
oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/opensparc-t2-page-1446157.html
>OpenSPARC T2 is derived from the UltraSPARC T2 processor
And the linked papers on the UltraSPARC T2 itself do not refer to it as an "open" chip, since their "Open" variants were introduced after the fact.

That name really only to applies to the freely available verilog implementations, rather than the UltraSPARC chips themselves that Sun retailed in the Enterprise/Fire T series.

That mPCIe slot is a nice touch. I wish HP had put that on their workstation motherboards.

can you just stop?

"
OpenSPARC is an open-source hardware project started in December 2005. The initial contribution to the project was Sun Microsystems' register-transfer level (RTL) Verilog code for a full 64-bit, 32-thread microprocessor, the UltraSPARC T1 processor. On March 21, 2006, Sun released the source code to the T1 IP core under the GNU General Public License. The full OpenSPARC T1 system consists of 8 cores, each one capable to execute 4 threads concurrently, for a total of 32 threads. Each core executes instruction in order and its logic is split among 6 pipeline stages.

On December 11, 2007, Sun also made the UltraSPARC T2 processor's RTL available via the OpenSPARC project.[1] OpenSPARC T2 is 8 cores, 16 pipelines with 64 threads.
"

the mini-DIN port (round) is for PS/2 peripherals (keyboard/mouse)
the two "VGA" ports are not VGA, they're 9-pin serial (VGA is 15 pin)

nice thing about open source software is that with the sources available, anyone can compile/port the software to new architectures, even if the original dev doesn't want to/isn't able to

And this makes the originals "open" how?
When even Sun themselves did not market the **UltraSPARC** T1 and T2 as open?

youre being retarded as fuck. Something can be originally released as closed source and later be opened up

The ORIGINAL OpenSPARC was a T1

now fuck off

No, as fucking Sun themselves said in their own damn marketing literature, the original OpenSPARC was a DERIVATIVE of the corresponding UltraSPARC chip released AFTERWARDS as a SEPARATE but compatible product, and and was never implemented in any Sun systems.

>Why is freetard shit always prohibitively expensive?
Motherboard would cost a few hundred thousand to develop and produce. They must assume volume will be something like 50 units for the first batch.

>can't even read
You will be able to

Am I seeing an HDMI port between the serial and mSATA? How the hell can they run a blobless HDMI setup? That shit so so proprietary that it make Apple shudder.

Year of the TALOS desktop when?

Fuck, I can't even afford a $700 Libreboot thinkpad and now I have to start saving for this? I still have to get a Neo900 too or else how will people know I'm FREE!?!!

Hope it can run Qubes

>serial

Actually not a bad idea since it's used with microcontrolers and low level programming a lot.

no games

what does one do in an "workstation" in 2016?
what is "workstation" hardware in 2016?
what does one do in an "workstation"?

at work i have a machine with a single xeon cpu, a cheap gpu and 64gb ram. i use it for Sup Forums most of the time but i run virtual machines with minecraft installed in my lunch time

thinkpad - $200
being technologically incompetent and on Sup Forums - priceless

>It's way too expensive. Who do they think will buy this? Freetards ain't exactly making bank.
Freetard here and my battlestation costs $10k-$20k.

I don't mind paying more money for something that's technologically superior.

the same shit you do with any other computer
compute

>$10-$20k for a freetard setup
do you just mindlessly buy anything the marketers put "free" on?

>muh gaymes
>muh i5
fuck off

What does it consist of?
I'm seriously interested.

what the fuck does that shitty strawman even have to do with anything I said?
if anything that's you, did you blow $3000 on a used POWER Intellistation or something?

In no particular order

- 1x i7 4770
- 1x Asus GTX 970 Strix
- 1x ASRock Z75 Pro3
- 4x 4 GiB Kingston generic ValueRAM (DDR3)
- 2x HGST 7K4000 (3TB)
- 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4 (2TB)
- 1x WD Caviar Black (1TB)
- 1x WD Caviar Blue (2TB)
- 2x Samsung 850 Pro
- 1x Intel RS2WC080 SAS controller (cross-flashed to LSI 9211-8i)
- 1x Fractal Design Define R2 XL
- 1x Scythe Mugen 2 HSF
- 4x Scythe Slipstream case fans
- 1x Seasonic X-650
- 1x APC Back-UPS RS 900G
- 1x Filco Majestouch 2 + custom PBT caps
- 1x Zowie FK
- 1x LG 31MU97-b
- 1x Dell U2410
- 1x X-Rite i1Display Pro
- 1x Spyder 3 Express
- 1x Yoyodyne ODAC RevB
- 1x Yamaha A-S300
- 1x Audeze LCD-2
- 2x DALI zensor 3
- 1x SVS SB1000

My price estimate was based on the price at purchase in Germany. Most of them are probably cheaper by now.

>meme of the year winner
wew laddie!