/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

distrochooser.de/?l=2
github.com/NationalSecurityAgency/SIMP
wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
ghostbin.com/paste/px3gu/raw
aur.archlinux.org/packages/pamac-aur/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_packages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

After years of ubuntu and mint I want to try something a bit different, maybe with KDE as my de. What should I look at?

Arch + KDE

cou already know ubuntu so maybe kubuntu?
if you want something completely different you could try this site distrochooser.de/?l=2

Opensuse Tumbleweed for KDE the way it's meant to be used(tm) (Suse is to KDE what Red Hat is to Gnome).
Don't use Kubuntu, it generally isn't regarded as a good KDE distro. Also it's sponsored by Blue Systems, based on Ubuntu sponsored by Canonical, which is based on Debian. That's 3 entities that potentially can fuck up the distro somewhere.
If you want Debian based then just use Debian unstable.

>Suse is to KDE what Red Hat is to Gnome
[citation needed]

>[citation needed]
You're on Sup Forums son, citations are never needed.

I've noticed that rsnapshot doesn't delete files in destination if deleted from source.

Shouldn't the .sync folder always be identical to source when using sync_first? As far as I understand only the changes are copied to the rotated backup folders and files that stay the same get linked back to the .sync folder to safe space.

github.com/NationalSecurityAgency/SIMP
thoughts?

Gentoomen

Time has finally arrived for me to make my own file server (le cloud XDD). I got hold of an useless 2TB external HDD. I am going to build a $200 modest PC as well.

Problem is I don't have an external monitor. How can I install GNU/Linux into the hard drive without a monitor?

Is there any way to use my Android tablet for this?

seconded, running this as we speak.

you mean like this:
wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall

>thoughts
>NSA uses shithub/sjwhub
Disappointment, mostly.

>ruby
>anime profile picture
>that recruitment propaganda with the crazy smart redditfag
So is the NSA some kind of meme organization or is it just pretending?

Was thinking about that but I'm a total noob about arch

I suppose this is thread to ask this in.
Should I use Linux?
I have a pretty beefy custom PC and I'm running Windows 10 which I'm pretty satisfied with.
All I do is graphic design, Photo and Video Editing in Adobe Applications like Premier Pro and Illustrator and Photoshop.
I also do a shit ton of gaming.
That's all I use my PC for though, currently I'm thinking I should stick with Windows because most games are compatible with Windows but I don't think most are with Linux.
Am I wrong?

Does xorg-server

from a technical point of view: stick with Windows.
from an ethical point of view: Windows 10 is making you a product, taking away your right to do what you want with your computer and utterly disregarding your privacy. Every second you spend using it is a second spend in digital slavery. Install Gentoo.

wait, you only use your computer for these? like nothing else?
what are you posting from?
I'd recommend a dedicated shitpost thinkpad for internet usage and everyday use, put whatever runs your proprietary garbage on that computer.
if you are willing to switch to GNU/Linux you should search for alternatives to your programs before that. prism-break.org and the installgentoo wiki (read the OP) can help you with that.

post the whole message or a screenshot.
which gpu do you use? does the proprietary driver even make sense on it?

Why the command shred says it is not useful in EXT3? It's because of journaling? Should I use BleachBit instead?

So I made the jump from windows to ubuntu and love it so far. Came across rsnapshot and used it happily for a few weeks until I realised that rsnapshot is not deleting files in the destination folder when deleted from the source folder.

Syntax is okay,sync_first is enabled and I've double and triple checked /etc/rsnapshot.conf and the cron job. If I run sudo rsnapshot sync the folders get synced. If I use sudo rsnapshots then the folders get rotated, files and folders get added but deleted files still remain in .sync folder.

Are you using Ubuntu 16.04?
It dropped support for some AMD drivers.

>post the whole message or a screenshot.
im using radeon HD7850 on antergos, when i'm trying to install catalyst it says xorg-server requires xf86-input-efdev AND are in conflict

then it has error about X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION

Friendly reminder we have a thread on IT and GNU/Linux training videos
and a ported videogames thread

ghostbin.com/paste/px3gu/raw

Hello Sup Forums
I have a fairly clean install of arch Linux and can't get LightDM to start-up at boot
Systemctl enable lightdm doesn't do anything but systemctl start lightdm does start-up lightdm as expected
Any help?
Pic is autocorrect failing me (aka unrelated)

Thank you.
But I think I shouldn't download torrents now, because I'm not at home.

>Both Fedora and openSUSE are community editions that serve as the stable basis for enterprise ready GNU/Linux distributions with commercial support. Companies all over the world trust Red Hat Inc. and SUSE Linux GmbH because of their transparency throughout the whole development process.

TL;DR: Website compromised by shills. Not even prism-break is safe from telemarketers.

after changing keyboard layouts in i3. mod + numbers, or mod + shift+number, doesn't work anymore, so i can't into workspaces now. Wat to do?

Do you think we should remove that link? I think it's still better to have some source for such software, even with shilling added.

Modify the config. Maybe your Mod key isn't your Mod key anymore or anything related. The archwiki page for i3 is also pretty helpful. In case you can't reach anything, because your hotkeys are completly fucked, hit CTRL+ALT+F1 and use the tty.

Keep it. In the world today there is almost no shill-free space, and shills are smart enough to take our retreat at their advantage.

The website is good enough, we just have to educate people on not trusting everything they see on the internet, not even take "friendly advice" for granted.

Hard task, I know.

whats the BEST desktop enviroment ricewise

GNOME 3

None. Use a WM. If you don't like tiling, start with Openbox.
nice meme

need a good hexeditor

vim

I use hxd through wine
Works great

Please contribute:

hi. is there a graphical gui like windows program manger. so that i can easily see and remove application i dont want. i installed gnome and other stuff, but got lost in all the packages and now i have games up the a$$ i dont need and are taking up what little space i do have.

>pic eventually related

>not posting the logs

You're a useless human being.

mint has one, also there's PAMAC on antergos

How do APUs fare in Linux? Specifically Arch, specifically the A10-7850K.

Any1?

i thought it was suppose to be
Systemctl enable lightdm.service
or
Systemctl enable lightdm.service -f
maybe?????

On calibre, the page count is fucked. It says:
>1,0
>2,0
>2,0
>3,0
>4,6
>6,2
>7,7
>9,3
and so on. What the fuck???

This works, thanks

post journalctl -xe

u just got helped by a noob :) kek

does this mean i am no longer a noob?

I was wondering as well what the problem was. Had the same issue with something else (openssh). It's a tiny bit confusing that to enable something you should enable XYZ.service, but to disable it you only need to disable XYZ ^^

After watching some of Stallman's talk online I'm convinced to try free software because I've always felt sick of being watched and my privacy breached (keyboard suggestions recommending things to me based on what I type, products being suggested to me based on things I've said around friends even though there's no way it'd be the first search suggestion)

I've decided to start with my old laptop but not sure where to begin, I don't want to use Ubuntu since Canonical isn't going to respect my privacy and other distributions seem intimidating to say the least. I also need it to play my 2hus

Leaving out .service assumes that you're dealing with the .service file. It's usually only needed for .socket or other units.

it makes you a more experienced noob and a helpful noob i guess.
debian is one of the more freedom aware distros while still having an additional repo for nonfree stuff that you might need for your animu needs or something.

woohoo hell yeah im now a "experienced noob" kek
>making the ranks boiz

I'm trying to migrate my Windows 7 Thunderbird client to my new and shiny Ubuntu Thunderbird client.
This is what I tried:
>deleted the content of the Ubuntu profile folder
>copy and pasted the content of the Windows folder, inside the Ubuntu folder
>started Ubuntu's Thunderbird client
>saw all the content of the profile folder changing
>the client starts as a new profile, no content, no settings, nothing
How is the proper way to do this?

>I don't want to use Ubuntu since Canonical isn't going to respect my privacy
Based in what do you affirm that?

they had opt-out privacy invasion before. only opt-in is okay.

>After watching some of Stallman's talk online
Where? Maybe I want to watch too...

You're using IMAP right? Just set it up from scratch again. It will take 15 minutes.

You mean, the Amazon search? It's opt-in now.

Calibre is bloat. Get mupdf.

ok i am trying to install pamac using the pacman but it says pamac-aur no found? do i need to install a different way?

link related
aur.archlinux.org/packages/pamac-aur/

Why is it bloat?

that is not how you install aur packages.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_packages read this and try again

I'm thinking of moving to Trisquel from Ubuntu. But I am not an expert user yet.

What I want to know is whether the askubuntu solutions work for Trisquel?

Or is Debian a better choice for a less advanced user?

How would i make a universal script,that i could call,that would go in to all folders within the base folder,copy the contents of the folder,and mv it to the base dir?

Guys suggest a cute anime girl to use as my wallpaper.

cp -a */. .

>make a copy of some directory and test it inside that first.

here go son bfy dot tw/5dT3

of course run that until files in the base dir stop increasing >.

Looking back i wasnt clear,my mistake
its only copying the files,not the folders.I ment to copy the folder back to the basedir
/mnt/usb/basedir/ 100 folders in basedir.Each of those 100 folders a folder in it with the 50 files.
Looking to move the folders within the 100 folders to basedir

ok think i did it, but at last step makepkg -sri its says user does not have permission and wont let me as root as this will cause os damage. any can please advise?

Akari

please give the full output or a screenshot

you cant run it as root,as it clearly says.

just type makepkg

Go back to you desktop thread, useless weeb.

the only acceptable one is lain.

This.

ok it seems i was using sudo at the start. wiped all out and tried again... seems to be making the package now

I'm trying to learn how to learn ranger but it's hard
do you guys mind if I use thunar as a crutch until I get used to it?

can someone in laymen terms tell me when i should be in root and when i should be in user and when i should be user using sudo?

also why sometimes instructions say login as root but code starts with $
or says login as user and code starts with #

>pic related

user you should already know that you can use whatever you want

mv -v /mnt/usb/basedir/*/* ~/mnt/usb/basedir

>MAKE A COPY AND TEST IT IN THAT FIRST
>I DON'T REALLY KNOW THIS STUFF I'M THIS GUY

root: never
user: always
sudo: whenever necessary

Do nothing as as root,unless you borked your system and literally everything you are going to type needs elevated rights
Use sudo.

>code starts with $

You're user.

>code starts with #

You're root.

this may be a really dumb question, but im new with linux. How do i set wallpaper in i3wm so what i could have it everytime i reboot, not just for once? In pic wp i want to set.

feh in your start script

use feh to set the wallpaper.
just put 'feh --bg-scale /path/to/image.file' in your i3 configuration file

Install feh
feh --bg-fill path/to/wallpaper on your xinitrc

you can use feh to set wallpapers. man or info feh to see how.

display -window root wallpaper.png
Reminder that Imagemagick can do you mother.

ok got it
user always
root never less borked system
sudo when necessary

one last thing though if instructions say start with user and then code line
start # that would be a sudo command or a switch to root?

When I use ~/folder it means /home/username/folder right?