Thank you for applying for a job at Google

Thank you for applying for a job at Google.

How would you design a text editor user?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6QI4KmlcQr4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Outsource it to India using android as a platform and fill it with adware and in-app purchases, using Google Play to allow users to spend inordinate money without realizing it.

?

Exactly how Xi is doing it

Hire me and find out ;)
*unsheathes handshake*

What kind of text editor? Programmer's editors, word processors and simple embeddable editor components have different feature sets and requirements.

Where will it be used? Multiplatform desktop applications are different from mobile editors are different from web based editors.

Do you have a project in mind where this editor will be used?

>tfw Pajeet creates a class Document and declares all the text as a single String

Copy gedit
Give it pallet colors
Add a link to youtube in the toolbar

Something like a glorified nano.

I want to open and edit, say find and replace. several gigabyte large log files in it though so keep that in mind when picking data structures and so on. You will probably require some off-loading of chunks or something to the disk.

I wouldn't bother duplicating effort since vim already exists, next question and do try to stop wastin my time

VR IoT application connected to your toaster that uses data from gmail to predict what word you're going to use next and suggests content based on your facebook likes. You can also upvote your text files so that the NSA knows which ones to read through first via our always-connected-to-the-gubmint cloud platform.

Vim is architecturally shit. It doesn't even do asynchronous plugins. I really hope your text editor won't be that crappy.

Figure out who your users are
what their priorities are
where it will be used
look at similar products
figure out what works, what doesn't, what's important, and what isn't
design and test
build
release

>facebook
>not g+
user why do you not use Google+?

Maybe get a job at Facebook instead?

uuugh, fine, I"m sure vim has a function for making some shitty text editor you can understand

>In a way that harvests as much user data as possible

The correct answer was Emacs. No job for you, move along.

Uh... no idea but I can fizzbuzz and invert a binary tree... not bad huh?

No problem! Are we assuming the log files are stored as text on a typical file system where we can overwrite and truncate but not insert?

Can you give me some use cases with examples of things you want to find and replace? This will help the strategy.

For example, if you want to identify and blank out PII with "XXXX", that can be done in place.

If you want to search and replace things with different lengths, we can do that in a single pass at the end by just keeping a change list in memory.

We could potentially do both searches and replaces on multiple machines, is that an option or are we keeping it local?

Are the log files historic and static enough to build an index of keywords and line lengths ahead of time?

If not, do they have a common timestamp format or something we can use to help navigate in the file?

How would you show targeted ads based on what the user is typing?

Emacs but with Scheme instead.

Just for the record, I checked and looping is indeed about 11 times faster than recursive. Looping is also easier to implement threading with, making it 1.5-2x faster than that.

>this is a bad thing

Good luck recreating the multiple megabyte string every time a key is pressed

public void onKeyPressed(KeyEvent nig) {
int x = currentPosition();
string1 = string1.substring(0, x) + nig.getKeyChar() + string1.substring(x);
}

omg so hard

Yeah, that's terrible performance-wise

>my editor needs to keep a solid 60FPS when I type super fast on my razer keyboard
k kid

Fucking faggot. Why don't you write one thats better?

I wouldn't bother; Emacs already exists.

Why design a text editor when there are two perfect text editors that for everyone (vim/emacs)?

>thinking both are perfect
what's wrong with you?

atom > everything

Said nobody with a brain ever

I'd run it on a VM made with Ruby on Rails.

>not writing it in nodejs running on nodeOS running in a docker container running on core os running inside of Hyper-v

I would take the code of Notepad++ and change the logo.

i am jewish black tranvestite lesbian female

get scroogled xD

youtube.com/watch?v=6QI4KmlcQr4

I wouldn't, that's called reinventing the wheel, and it's against the Unix way.

You are a goddamn codemonkey not philosopher

sudo apt-get install vim

the end.

I have established that Google is not the right company for my qualities. Have a nice day.

>unsheathes handshake

go back to fucking reddit, pleb.

I mean; for the lols I would make a python program that takes user input and saves it to a text file. Then I would make a function that opens that file, reads it, and lets the user edit it.