Why is everyone saying the GTX1080's $600 pricetag is reasonable/less-than-expected...

Why is everyone saying the GTX1080's $600 pricetag is reasonable/less-than-expected? The 980 (the 1080's 900 series equivalent) was $550. Hell, the 580 was $500 when I bought it in 2011, and that wasn't considered cheap.

I'm a little out of the GPU loop, am I missing something?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2
techgrapple.com/apple-a9-14nm-vs-16nm-performance-test-with-iphone-6s/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/amd-polaris-will-be-a-mainstream-gpu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

AMD openly stated they won't be competing with the 1070/1080, so they can price it accordingly. That and they showed a card that could hit 2.1ghz on stage, so the performance should be insane no matter what.

It was meant to replace the 980 Ti, not the 980. 1080 Ti comes later if it does at all.

Is there any reason to believe there wont be a 1080ti?

What is inflation? If you go back far enough, say 2003, the most expensive cards were about $350 and that was considered expensive. Of course cards also went obsolete twice as fast and you couldn't use them for anything other than games since GPU compute didn't exist yet, so even at their higher current price you're getting a better value both in terms of longevity and usefulness.

>inflation

The 900 series launched in late 2014. We've had

Is there any reason to believe there will be? Nvidia isn't exactly known for consistency. They pushed the whole MEET YOUR NEW KING thing pretty damn hard. Would be a tit awkward to dethrone that king in a few short months.

Chances are it has to do more with exchange rate or some components getting more expensive for one reason or another.

Except that time they sperged all over the Titan X and then BTFO themselves with the 980 Ti just a couple months later.

The 980Ti is only an improvement for gaymen, and the Titan X was pushed for people on the content creation side of things, who actually need a good deal of vram to get work done.

1. Companies will always tell you their product is the best THING EVAR!!1 right up until they have something new to sell. No electronics company in their right mind would tell you, "Yeah, this is nice and all, but if you wait 6-12 months we'll have something much better on the market."

2. Didn't all the rumors reference a 1080ti?

For a poorfag, would 1070 do the job? And for how many years?

Thinking of VR especially.

>Didn't all the rumors reference a 1080ti?

I distinctly remember talk of "big Pascal" coming later.

I could see them just doing a Titan for GP102 and marketing it for both creation and high end gaming. Only reason for a 1080ti would be if AMD pushes Nvidia.
My guess:
1060ti = 970
1070 = 980
1080 = 980ti
Titan = Titan

Just save up extra, is it that hard?

1080ti comes out once amd are about to announce something that's competitive with the 1080 (just like they did with the 980ti)

I'm not actually poor, I'm just greedy

(I have had my current desktop for like 6,5 years now.)

Is the extra money worth the extra performance?

True, but even on the pro side of things you can seldom max out that much VRAM outside of rendering, yet GPU-based renderers are starting to utilize methods to make RAM a less-relevant characteristic by loading in content dynamically.
If I were building a workstation for 3D graphics, is sooner get two 980 Ti's over a single Titan X and enjoy the benefits of having good viewport and rendering performance at the same time, or half my render times. If you're not being silly with texture sizes (the industry is heading towards procedural textures anyway), even 6GB is a pretty decent amount.
If you're working for a big studio, hardware is the least of your concerns since you have a tap into a whole server room of GPUs, which are going to be Teslas and not Titans anyway.

once polaris lands and go for price/perf crown they can "lower" the prices.

jews gonna jew

Its all sales strategy

all the big spenders want something better than their current 980's, thats why 1080 comes out first

then later in june the 1070 for ppl with less budget

then later when you cant decide to buy the 1070 or fork more money for the 1080, they will release the 1080ti so its more compeling, and also get ppl to finally upgrade from 980ti/sli

the 1060 comes next for "poor" saps that want to get onto the 1000 bandwagon
and finally 1 year later the 1050 will show up for poor saps to finally get on track just when the 1100 is about to be released

the cycle repeats

Not only that, the true flagships today are xx80ti. The 980 and 1080 of today are like the 570s back then.

Nah that'd be the 1070.

Am I the only one who thinks nvidia's naming scheme with all those stupid people names, arbitrary numbers and arbitrary suffixes is fucking annoying and needlessly confusing/non-linear?

>2.1ghz on stage, so the performance should be insane no matter what

The FX 9590 hits 5GHz out of the box, so that makes it the best CPU on the market, right? :^)

>so it runs as cool as it looks.

DROPPED

yes

excuse me, but.
what is the point of squuze extra few fps for hundreds of dollars?
what is the point of this greedy consumer electronics?

>squuze extra few fps
>few
I'm still running a 660 my nigga

And don't forget that they will apparently try to leech another $100 from people who will want one on the launch day, because only the "Funders Edition" will be available then: anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

I'm still frying eggs on my gtx 285

Don't feel like buying novidya right now though.

>16nm

Fucking jews

>not wanting to be an Nvidia Funder

Who /arctic islands/ here?

Nobody

First come, first serve.

AMD has nothing to show off.

>used to have 2x 480s in SLI
>they eventually died
>didn't cause any fires

16nm is actually more efficient than 14nm.

source or didn't happen

>AMD openly stated they won't be competing with the 1070/1080
Do you have a source for that? That sounds like bullshit and would be absolutely terrible news.

techgrapple.com/apple-a9-14nm-vs-16nm-performance-test-with-iphone-6s/

Amd is the housefire again. I really hope they have something up their sleeve.

guys im gonna buy the 1070, how many years will i be able to play new games at max sets?

like 6 months

This has been said a thousand times here but I'll say it again. Using the performance of very small die SoCs as an indication of how a large die GPU will perform is only mildly better than baseless speculation.

What? WHAT?!? Did you reply to the wrong person?

>AMD openly stated they won't be competing with the 1070/1080
really now, when?

That was not conclusive enough study.

Also it was not about the current processes, but about the alpha 14LPE and alpha 16FF that both the companies made for mobile chips whose wanker makers can't wait for the technology to be ready (Samsung 14LPP and TSMC 16FF+ are the real deal).

Ah okay, Didnt know that. Sauce?

>that sounds like bullshit

Kek, you AMDtards are really delusional.
AMD has stated that they aim for lowend/midrange market with Polaris 11/10.

Vega is gonna be the highend cards.

AMD is releasing a card that is supposedly on par with the current 980 TI except for $300.

1070/1080 is faster than 980/980TI but it's going to cost $600 ($800 in Sweden where I live).

nope I'm going with AMD because it's cheaper and I don't care about high settings on video games.

Stephen one to trolling is being consistent. Going from "they're not going to compete on the high end" to "they're releasing a separate part for the high end segment" is not going to fool or irritate anyone. If you're not a troll and just another (very stupid) user replying to my post then you seriously need to work on your reading comprehension.

>1070 = 980
>1080 = 980ti
Lol no, look at the graph

A 980ti does not perform 70% better than a 980.

The 1080 will definately shit on the 980ti, the real question is, will the 1070 match the 980ti

>bought 970 month ago
>can't return it

>1070/1080 is faster than 980/980TI but it's going to cost $600 ($800 in Sweden where I live).
You need to stop comparing prices directly because Americans don't include moms or sales tax as they call it on the price they display. Means you always pay more than the price that's shown.

Stupid people get what they deserve

Well, for the first statment, the difference in battery life was reported as 3%, but it was not an average from a big sample and it is within the margin of error, basically. Also it is only data for one implementation on both process and it was not probably fully synthetised without additional macros, changes and tuning, so you don't know if these implementations are equally successful and optimised.

As for the chips being 14LPE and 16FF, the production of the apple thingy started too early for them to be 16FF+ and 14LPP. There is also no data that would suggest the latter, so the former are better bet.

No. In terms of flops it's superior to 980 but inferior to titanium.

Flops doesn't translate 1 on 1 to performance

I specifically built new computer based on i7 6700 and used old GPU to wait for new ones to come out.

Because a titan x was $1200 and it's more powerful than that, for literally half the price

No they don't. But that's all we have at the moment nigga.

just wait for 1170 which hopefully will have HBM2

if it's an evga gta 970, you can use the step up program and get a 1070 for $80+ shipping

>But that's all we have at the moment nigga.
That's all we have apart from the CEO of NVIDIA literally saying the 1070 will outperform the Titan X yesterday.

HBM2 only makes sense with absolute high end enthusiasts cards which pander to 60fps+ at 4K resolution.

It depends on where you buy it from, for instance if I buy my card off newegg then I don't have to pay sale tax, how it works in florida. If an internet business doesn't have a brick and mortar store in the state, customer's don't have to pay sales tax

i live in a 3 world contry (poland)

Feels nice not to care about games and just use whatever Radeons are integrated in the CPU for MadVR, when one sees these sums flying around and people dealing with the upgrades.

I was simplifying a very complex issues for an user who was probably unaware of the it. I'm aware of the loopholes but if I'm not mistaken there are steps being taken to close them.

Pretty much, I'm probably going to build a new PC with an apu when Zen comes out, fuck buying a graphics card

This, i dont really play games anymore

Holy fuck 970 is enough to play all the new games that will appear on 1080p on high or medium settings, get the fuck out of here with your bitching
>inb4 2K, 4K meme resolutions
>inb4 muh need to max out everything all the time

Poorfags spotted

when you've been cucked so much you just take it.

I may get an 1080.

Any confirmed/rumored prices in Pound Sterling?

Google Conversion puts it at around £415, so with Tax it should be around £450, right?

>implying you can use nnedi with an igpu

Shillposter spotted

>Feels nice not to care about games

Yet you still watch shitty chinese cartoons.

Top KEK.

>buy 1080
>finds out it's not running at 2.1jiggahurts
>can't even overcock it to that speed without burning down the house

Let the fire burn, let the fire burn, let the fire burn, let the motherfucker burn

#StandWithIsrael

When will the non-reference cards show up?

Not a big deal, I don't like much what it can do with unlucky content and for edges where it is good I don't see it being that important (I dealt with it a lot due to encoding, where you use it to antialias). IMHO sticking with jinc3ar is best.

I didn't experiment with the new things added after that (superres etc), but I'm generally the type that prefers high quality natural look without "enhancements", so the appeal of such things is limited for me.

Settle down Ahmed.

AMD said Polaris is mainstream, because they want to increase the market for VR (supposedly) and that a high-end product wouldn't do that.

>I don't think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we've seen around Pascal, it's a high-end part. I don't know what the price is gonna be, but let's say it's as low as £500/$600 and as high as £800/$1000. That price range is not going to expand the TAM for VR. We're going on the record right now to say Polaris will expand the TAM. Full stop.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/amd-polaris-will-be-a-mainstream-gpu/

They didn't specifically say anything about 1070 and 1080, because those weren't announced at that time, but at this point it's essentially certain that they will not compete with the 1080 at least. 1070 maybe since that's $380 and I believe they mentioned a $300-something price point too, but we don't know. It's incredibly disappointing to me, especially since I own a 4K FreeSync monitor.

dude 10% dollar inflation lboa

Hahahaha xD well trolled

lmao good thing I listened to Sup Forums instead

I've been using Nvidia most of my life, even since MX200.

But I stopped giving shit about having the top graphical fidelity in vidya, so I think I'm gonna go for ATI this year. In the best price/performance range.

This coupled with beast of a i7 should be more than enough.

>1070 will outperform the Titan X

You mean 1080?

Inb4 400W FuryX rebrand with peltier cooling.

lolAMD

>using an i7 with a low-end card

Yes, this allows to play every game at 60 fps, with reduced graphics.

Also not really low end, top mid end.

What's the problem?
You know not everything is videogames right?

>tfw I nearly fell for the amd 390 meme last week

Good thing I waited out to see these new cards.

No, last night on stream they said that the 1080 is supposedly much faster and that the 1070 will also outperform a Titan X (by a much lower margin, presumably).

Realistically I expect the 1080 to be 20-30% faster in real-world games and the 1070 to be pretty much equivalent to a Titan X.

>350$
>699$
Yes you sure did lad

>Why is everyone saying the GTX1080's $600 pricetag is reasonable/less-than-expected?

Because the US dollar is worth half today compared to what it was worth 15 years ago.

>Bought 970
>Bought 2nd 970
>Used BIOS mod to up TDP to 155% up from 105%
>~40% performance boost

I have mixed feelings.
If I could feed them at nearly 1.25kW I would up it to 200% and let them burn.
Maxwell is tanky but power starved for efficiency.

Thete was a 10-15% difference between the 970 and 980 so if expect there to be a similar performance gap with the new cards. We'd probably be looking at a 1080 being 30%~ faster than a titan x and the 1070 will be 10-15% slower than the 1080 which will put it at 15-20%~ faster than a titan x. I expect the 1060 to be at 980 performance with the rumoured 1060 ti to be at titan x performance.