/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

witrigs.com/oem-lcd-screen-assembly-for-huawei-nexus-6p-black
clyp.it/5hcmsxph
www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/library/enginfo/electrical/hong1.pdf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3R86922&ignorebbr=1
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-a-multi-protocol-vpn-server-using-softether
blog.openshift.com/run-your-nodejs-projects-on-openshift-in-two-simple-steps/
ilspy.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I set up a standard authorized_keys and used the same sshd_config i usually do

When I ssh in I just get a $ and have to su to run any commands

How do I bypass the login?

On my PC was no Programm installed to play blurays and I won't pay 100 bucks for powerdvd.
I tried to use anydvd and play it in vlc but that didn't work
Anybody has an idea how i can get it to work?

What are some good fonts to use for firefox on linux, that can make rendering and web content a bit more readable

Does anyone here use insider builds for Windows?
If so, is fast ring stable enough for daily use?
Can I opt out if I have issues?
Tell me your general experience, thanks.

There is a thread . It doesn't have /sqt/ in the name though.

>use clover to browse Sup Forums
>takes literal minutes to load boards and threads
>fails downloading images nearly every time
>use chrome/firefox on the same WiFi network and device
>no such issues
What the shit is going on? It's the same deal with YouTube and Netflix

Why would anyone use oop over functional programming? Its a fucking clusterfuck and functional can do the same but more efficiently.

Where can I find a free hosting for a text file or some simple database?
I'm writing an online game and need to store servers list somewhere.

Pastebin maybe

Would smash.

host it yourself

How do I modify the paste or provide each client with the link to the new version?
>keep your computer on 24/7 for just one text file

I know, not the right place to ask, but
Does anybody know a good app/program to learn guitar, that listens to what I play? I tried yousician, but it requires a paid membership to use it longer than 10min a day

Why can I install any linux distro on any x86 computer but have to install a rom specifically made for a specific hardware when it comes to android machines ? Is it because of ARM ?

>install gentoo
>install codecs
>install aacs
>install vlc

If aacs doesn't work you can use makemkv to decode them and create a backup.

Is there a significant difference between high quality PSUs and low quality ones that aren't complete garbage?

For example, if someone plays vidya and the system consumes 400W from a 650W PSU, will there be a difference if the PSU is a Corsair VS/CX instead of a Corsair RM/AX? Does the quality of PSU matter if you don't max it all the time?

witrigs.com/oem-lcd-screen-assembly-for-huawei-nexus-6p-black

Oem LCD screen for Nexus 6P?
6P is supposed to have Amoled, right?

Anyone know how to activate EFI Windows? Pirated it, don't wanna shell out for an entire disk when it's already installed. Windows loaders and WAT remover didn't work cause EFI.

I'm having an issue with my hard drive. It will spin up and read slowly for about 3 minutes then make this sound and stop.

clyp.it/5hcmsxph

For those who got a working non-pptp vpn working, how?

I've followed over 60 guides on different operating systems and tools but setting up an l2tp/ipsec vpn is downright impossible because of the unknown.

Has anyone had luck with updating Windows to Windows 10 within a dual boot? I'm not sure how the installation will affect my partitions.

Is there a way to switch pages keeping specific widgets in place?

I want to be able to slide this group of icons to the side and have an audio player come in to take their place. What is the easiest way to go about doing that?

KLWP will solve all your problems

how do I unlock my old samsung galaxy ace

I was going to use klwp but I realized it might be easier another way.

Is there a good klwp tutorial that would show me how to do that?

You could check the homescreen thread on /wg/.
I had a similar layout to yours with the same functions before I reset my phone.
You just need a bg scroll animation on the group of icons, and the center screen has to be the screen it has to be on. That's atleast how I did it.

Hi, what are everyone's thoughts on this build?
I think I have all the parts finalized, but I'm still deciding between the 390 and the 970.
The 1070 is really tempting since it's only like $50 more than the 390 but it's out of my budget.

What kind of software do commercial DVD/BD players use? Is it comparable to what you can use on your PC?

Can you elaborate a bit? I'm new to klwp

It's $50, work a paper route for a few hours and buy it.

Which type of GPU cooler works better with an adjacent side fan?

software side will be very minimal, probably little more a demuxer and some glue to pass the streams on to hardware video/audio decoders

BD's do also have a java vm requirement, as that's what their menus use, dvd menus are much more basic, they're just still image or video with 'hotspots', kind of html maps (or youtube annotations)

kind of like*

I've been using my SSD for roughly 2 months, about 12 hours a day. Is the number of writes normal for this amount of usage? How do I reduce it?

There are optimization tips and options literally in the Samsung Magician.

Either just do it, or wait for it to go on sale.

Can someone point me to a site on USB microphones or recommend one?

inb4 blue yeti

With the announcement of the 1080, when could we expect the launch of the Ti? 6 months? A year?

How do I make this kind of text?

word

i recommend using a keyboard

pic related, an example of a keyboard

What GPU shall I get Sup Forums? I have £400 and I was thinking of a 980, but should I wait for the 1000 series to be released?

How and where do I get the english developer rom for redmi note 3 pro?

Create e.g. a button in kwlp. Then you should go to the "Animation" properties of it, add a bg scroll animation, with the center set on e.g. screen 1, if you want it to appear on homescreen 1. You'll basically be swiping through homescreens with your clock on the same location. You might have to mess around with the speed property as well

I want to install gentoo in a virtual machine but I never installed/used gnu/linux and I always had a bit of curiosity about Unix.
I was wondering: if I install and get familiar with Unix before going to gentoo, would it help my learning on gentoo and gnu generally?

say if i install a library with pacman
pacman -S qt-5base
how do i learn which name i am supposed to use when linking:
g++ -l[name]
im using arch

How do I pick a good motherboard?

Every motherboard from every brand seems to have crazy issues in the reviews.

Why won't you switch to a distro that is not a complete meme fuckery?

www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/library/enginfo/electrical/hong1.pdf

thanks for the enlightening read.

Will this board fit both a wlan card and a gpu card?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3R86922&ignorebbr=1

I am thinking that I can put the wlan card on the top pcie x1 slot and the gpu directly underneath in the x16. What do you think? I have never built a pc before so I am unsure how all of this will measure out.

i tried ubuntu and i liked arch more
gentoo seems hard

Why every time I ask, outside Sup Forums, about some privacy questions, like some software EULA (no, not Windows) having part about collecting personal data, thee is a flood of people, who begin to call me "tinfoil fedora Linux/TOR user", making statements like "lol you use FB/Gmail/Android phone and complain about privacy?" (I dont use either of those, why people make such claims right from the start) and basically throw piles of shit at me?

I dont think this question deserved separate thread.

Thanks for replies, like always.

Is there any way to make uMatrix not need to reload a page to load a whitelisted object?
For instance, load a page with images disabled and then whitelist certain image URLS and right click over the image placeholder and click Load Image and it will load instead of having to refresh the page?

Is a $590 256gb Surface Pro 3 worth buying for computer purposes besides using it as a drawing tablet? I'm not sure if I'm falling for a meme or not but I am interested in getting a laptop and a drawing tablet, and while expensive it'd be both in one.

ah i think i found out
i'm supposed to use pkg-config

I posted this somewhere else today, but the SoftEther server software was pretty easy to use. L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, OpenVPN, TLS tunneling. There's a decent guide on Digital Ocean:
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-a-multi-protocol-vpn-server-using-softether

How the fuck do I host a node.js application in openshift?

I didn't know node.js even existed and didn't know javascript until last sunday, and now that i'm done with the application I have no idea how to host it because it asks me to link it to GitHub which I also know shit about

I can't host a Discord bot by myself

blog.openshift.com/run-your-nodejs-projects-on-openshift-in-two-simple-steps/

I got a problem.

My brother has a USB headset that works on his Windows 8 machine, but he got a new headphone today that plugs into the 3.5mm audio ports and now the Windows is complaining that the sound is disabled.

I believe I knew the issue. That Windows disabled the sound because it the USB headset isn't plugged in, but I went to the sound settings and set the motherboard's Dell Conexant audio as the default and the headset is showing up as plugged-in in the Dell Audio program, but windows is still saying sound is disabled and don't know what to do now.

Any ideas?

I shouldn't be buying new hardware on release, right? The 1080 looks nice and all and I was considering building a new rig anyways, but at the same time I've been shafted in the past on preordering bullshit so I'm really hesitant.

How do I read this chart?
I understand that I can use the SATA3_0-4 connectors no matter what I put in the M.2 and can't use SATA3_5 if I have a SATA SSD in the M.2.

What I don't understand are the SATA Express and PCI connectors.
What does "No devices installed" mean in this context?
The third line seems to be telling me that if I use a M.2 SATA SSD, I can use every connector except SATA3_5.
But then the three other M.2 SATA lines presumably only tell me that PCI and SATA Express devices are optional.
My problem with that is that it is redundant and inconsistent, (they don't bother putting NA at SATA3_0-4)

As I understand it: If I use a PCIe x4 SSD, I cannot use the SATA Express connector, but what about the PCI?

preorder? no. don't ever preorder anything.
buying after a few reviews? sure why not.

What's a good stack/framework for a beginner to start web programming? Preferably something that supports some good IDE.
I just want to make a simple working web application.

What are some good books on hand ciphers?

slide to unlock or with the passcode

get a thinkpad x220t

Is it a good idea to put an ssd on a vista pc? Im talking about lack of trim.

I drunkenly lost my phone yesterday and this morning (still drunk) went to my provider to get a new sim card. They deactivated the old one. Then I remembered I could try tracking the phone via Android device manager, but even if it was turned on, the sim card is now deactivated and the location turns up nothing.

So, is there any way to track this phone?

Is the stylus good enough for drawing or would I have to replace it?

Dear /sqt/.

At work, Im using one old software for data fitting, working partially in text mode.

While it refuse to work under Windows 8, it worked well at my work under Windows 7. However, when I tried running it at home, also on Windows 7, it refuse to work properly, being unable to load content of files.

Both my home and work machine have same version of Win 7, with same settings. How can one software work differently on them?

I know, this is very stupid question but I have no idea.

are you sure both are windows 7 64bit?

Yup.

Sadly, I only have .exe file, not source code.

what program?

I've been meaning to replace my old processor, but the one I've been eyeing doesn't come with a fan. Will pretty much any CPU fan work with most CPUs? I've been looking at the AMD FX-8350.

notice me?

It is not some open source, it was made and modified at faculty, for our own needs.

How does your favorite functional language handle database access?
How does it compare to superb default ORM frameworks like Javas JPA/Hibernate and C# Entity Framework?
How does your favorite functional language handle service calls and passing service call interfaces/clients to other users?
How does it handle unit tests and mocking of service calls?
How does it handle dependency management?

It probably can't do all that, which is why OOP is used for most applications.

If it's .net and not explicitly obfuscated it's trivial to get the working source code out of it.
You can use ilspy.net/ to check.

Maybe they have a point...?

Samson go mic

Actually, it was made in combination of Pascal and Fortran.

Will the Hyper 212 EVO fit inside the Rosewill LINE-M? I really don't want to replace my case just to install an i5 + new mobo + 212 EVO

it's fine

Maybe they dont?

Im just asking fucking question like "when exactly do they collect the data, since they only wrote 'may collect' or 'including, for example', which does not give any specific info and Im worried" and instead get "answers" from guys, who think it is either 0 or 1 - either you live in the wood or post everyday pictures of your dick on FB for everyone to see.

How do I determine a good CPU? It doesn't seem like there's a simple linear scale based on something simple like GHz, it seems like there are CPUs that have lower GHz but are more powerful than others because of things like architecture. I just don't understand how you're supposed to figure out what's better than what and how to decide.

Also does AMD even matter for CPUs right now? It seems like everything is i3 or i5 or i7. I never see anything mentioned about AMD.

>I never see anything mentioned about AMD.

Probably because various tests and benchmark sites suggest that while AMD CPUs have similar multi-thread performance to Intel ones, they have really low single-thread performance compared to them. And a lot of software most people use is usually single-thread.

what's the best bang for the buck phablet atm?

any fo the surface line

I need a suggestion for GPU upgrade
Power supply is 600W linkworld with 1X pcie connector
Hope it won't blow up with new GPU,and no i can't upgrade PSU too low on cash.

What OS is this? I see almost everyone with this os how you have multiple terminals

Passmark multi-core results

intel i3s: up to ~6,100
AMD A10 APUs/x4 athlons: up to ~6,100

intel i5s: up to ~8,100
AMD FXs: up to ~10,300

Most games today use more than 1 cpu thread so going with AMD doesn't make too much of a difference especially in DX12 games. And unless you encode video 24/7 power consumption isn't something you should worry about.

Going above an i5/FX processor is completely pointless unless you're running a server or encoding 4K HEVC video. That being said FX processors are pretty old and you should wait for AMD Zen processors if you want more juice than an i3.

Finally AMD processors are always cheaper and offer the same multi-core performance. For example the AMD 860k is ~$80 and the intel i3 4370 is ~$160. Both offer pretty much the same 5,600 multi-core passmark. With the 860k being able to overclock whereas the i3 can't.

Never mind found it

zte warp elite, $100 on amazon. Basically a moto g but with a bigger battery and 2GB of RAM.

So I just built a computer and recycled a HDD from an older PC. For some reason Windows 10 isn't reading that my Ethernet cable is connected.
Would reformatting my HDD and re-installing Windows 7, then upgrading to win 10 solve this problem?
Also Ethernet leds on the mobo are functional

has anyone tried installing an OS on something like LTO 4 tape?
can it be done?

That's arch i think.

if you think arch looks like that ootb you're going to have a bad experience with it.

I'm trying to install AMD's drivers on Mint and even after trying "sudo apt-get install linux-generic", I still get this error.
What do I do?