You got one yet?

You got one yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerphysics.com/myscio/technology
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Got a 2...

Is 3 just a hotter 2? How much better is it reeeallly?

nope, waiting for the initial rush to end so they'll be sold for the intended $35, rather than giving in to the current gouging prices of the merchants.

No, I don't like wasting my money.

I have one. I leave it on all the time, and I run sabnzbd, sickbeard and kodi. I was surprised, but it handles everything.

Can i power my rpi3 with my rpi2 power supply? That's basically just a smartphone charger, right?

Can those do hardware transcoding on the fly ?
I'm planning on using one of those to downscale movies/shows I keep as archive on a nas to serve to my family online and thus I need to accomodate any kind of bitrate/resolution since a few of them have shit tier adsl lines
I know it'd be possible with a desktop cpu but I kinda want my own ghetto netflix for myself

have you considered doing DASH http streaming? i.e. encode 3 or 4 version of varying bitrate quality, and let the protocol dynamically decide which to serve based on the connection speed

Quite.

It's hotter but better.

Yes

new one needs more amps, you need at least a 2 amp tablet charger

I use the 5V line of a PSU, a 2A phone charger will quickly underpower the Pi if you plug anything into the USB line, always check that the red LED is ON when using the Pi.

These are interesting but I can't think of what application this could do, especially now that I have a spare x86 Windows tablet.

With every generation, I keep saying that I'll get one the moment I come up with a great use for it. Still waiting. The initial idea was a carputer but it turns out that cheap tablets are actually wonderful for that.

looks really cheap and vulnerable without a case and i'm a jew for paying a few bucks more but meh, i suppose a lego case would work too.

At uni I recently joined a group of 2-3 other guys. We've order raspberry pi 3's and we're gonna build NIR spectrometers. Compact ones for field work (even in MIR and FIR) have existed for more than 50 years.
Shit's even being commercialized- consumerphysics.com/myscio/technology
I'm more theoretically inclined person (I'll do my master's in theoretical chemistry, most likely) and have a little python 3 knowledge. Basically never build anything and don't understand computers much.

Anything you guys would recommend me to read up on? Have literally no clue where to start..

2.5A mate

MicroCenter had them for $29.99 so I picked one up and 5V 2.4A adapter. I was able to get normal Minecraft up and running with minimal settings. I can browse in epiphany while watching 480p h.264 MPEG4 encoded with Handbrake universal settings, but occasionally my mouse cursor will briefly stop responding and mpv will get out of sync and play catch up to resync audio with video. Setting the governor to performance helps, but doesn't completely solve the problem. Temps appeared to hang around 66.6C almost intentionally. I attempted to add arm64 architecture and update, but Raspbian doesn't appear to have it in their repositories. Linux incorrectly reports armv7. For the time being, it seems like it's simply a faster RasPi2 with Bluetooth and Wifi.

A HEAT SINK

>TFW got an odroid XU4
>HDMI doesn't work
>I make a thread on their forums, everyone seems to have this problem
>they blame my monitors HDMI standard and my cables
>happen to be buying new TV anyway, get LG by their recommendation, buy nice cables
>still doesn't work
>they tell me to edit my HDMI parameters in some file over SSH
>Finally get around to trying that
>It doesn't even seem to boot now, no matter what I try
>Warranty is probably already over, I'd probably have to pay shipping to return it, and I'm pretty much over by now.

This is what I get for wanting a different SBC than everyone else

So you didn't even get to use it?
That sucks, should have RMA'd it when you realized the hdmi didn't work.

oh shit, 2.5A is little more than standard 5V/2A smartphone chargers

I have a 2.
Compared specs and found there is no reason to get a 3 unless the current one dies.

No reason to get one period unless they use something besides Broadcom imo.

can you still connect the pi3 to an old CRT composite jack

I wonder whether 2A power supply will be enough for rpi3+cam?

You can, but you need a 4 pole 3.5mm adapter. I'm not sure if the VC4 driver will work without issues in 640x480 though.

The only thing I don't like about most SBC's, is that they have a 100Mb NIC.
That shit pisses me off to no return. If the pi3 had a 1000Gb, I would buy it in an instant and transfor it into a cheap router. The integrated wifi would be a bonus.

The pi could have gigabit. But until they put it on its own bus and stop sharing the usb with it, it if pointless

Yes, I'm aware of that. But even that is not totally true
USB2 still can transfer 3x the data that a 100Mb NIC can transfer.
Even using a gigabit NIC would make things alot better

Anyone used one as a basic NAS?

The Pi2 wasn't much cop

>running inferior sickbeard and not glorious sonar

I used an original b as one, speed was adequate for streaming movies from it
I ran arch on it because of the boot time, it crashed every other day

3 is memeier.

with heat comes power my friend

it's a good bit better, the wifi is also a good $10 discount that comes with (if you use it) rather than getting a dongle

crashed? my first gen pi had at some point an uptime of nearly 2 years. was only used a VPN though. worked like a charm and speeds were quite decent. was using minibian though.

3 is 4 cores, wifi and bluetooth for the same price as 2...

Nope. Still no SATA ports. Still no ECC RAM. It's useless as a low-powered server, which is all I'd want to use it as.

>built-in bluetooth and wifi

So basically you just plug in a USB drive and an HDMI compatible screen and boot it? Where's the part where you do complicated shit yourself? Pi was meant to allow people to build electronics with the most basic components.

>Pi was meant to allow people to build electronics with the most basic components.
No, that's Arduino. rPi was meant to be a useless piece of shit.

GPIO, the other day I build floppy device playing MIDI, just connected with the Pi to my wifi and downloaded all the sources, looked up the schematics and connected everything while never leaving from behind the Pi.

I had a pi2 running plex, sabnzbd and sonarr.

It fails pretty badly at transcoding, am I doing something dumb?

I'm not sure exactly what you meant to say here...

i think he means the WiFi comes in as a bonus not as a distraction

I have 1 and 2
1+2=3

Connect them together through all of their USB, HDMI and LAN ports. Achieve transcendental computing.

I have 2 USB drives on a Pi 2.
The other one acts as a samba share for my laptop, I also use it with Deluge. The other drive is just for backup and not connected to anything but the Pi 2 itself, so should be safe from encryption viruses

It works, keeping in mind the 100 Mb bottleneck

got banana pi, a chineese variant

also ordered orange pi pc

picrelated is my bananapi workplace

I'll consider getting an RPi 3 when Raspbian actually gets an AArch64 port. 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware is a waste.

This. But I can't see a 64 bit version actually bringing any real benefit.

AArch64 brings benefits over 32 bit ARM in some of the same ways that x86-64 brought benefits over 32-bit x86. It's not just wider registers. It's more registers, and a few other odd ISA changes.

>running inferior sabnzd and not glorious nzbget

rpi zero when

have replaced my pcs
was running old pcs - these things are amazing
now I have permanently on servers & HD playback

I'm not an SJW... So no I will never have one because I'm better than that.

If the person who cured cancer happened to be an SJW, would you refuse cancer treatment because "you're better than that"?

You'd be surprised with how durable this kinda stuff is without a case, as long as you're not spilling water on it or placing it on metal objects

For what it costs and how it performs, I'd rather just spend $300 on a cheap laptop from Target.

The 3 is actually somewhat usable as a desktop. The 2 isn't (I have a 3 in my garage workshop, because why not). I use a 2 as a home intranet webserver.