Why shouldn't i get a mac mini Sup Forums?

Why shouldn't i get a mac mini Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GRX-6rWkuzk
tkware.info/2013/01/27/hypocrisy-thy-name-is-tonymacx86/
tkware.info/2013/01/29/honor-among-thieves-the-tonymacx86-hypocrisy-becomes-a-story/
tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/april/2016
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it has no Sup Forums certification on the box

now fuck off

You should get a very shitty huge ass pc for much cheaper

-g

Don't get one if none of the following applies:
>want osx
>want it on the desktop, not on a tablet/phone
>want to be able to do something besides browse netflix and facebook using an all-in-one
They don't actually seem like bad machines, although they are pricey as hell. If you can afford it and want OSX, go for it. I've been thinking of saving up for a mac mini/pro.

Because you can build a higher powered hackintosh. If you like the form factor and don't need a powerful computer then go for it I guess, just make sure to get a 4k monitor.

If you want it to do SWIFT or proprietary apps, at least get the late 2012 model, all the shit isn't soldered to the board. I was thinking of getting one for said reasons.

There's no reason to buy a Mac Pro. They're under powered, throttle, and are extremely overpriced. If you need a powerful computer and you want it to run OS X you're much better off just building a hackintosh computer using a hardware compatibility guide.

Sure, but that doesn't mean if I wasn't rich enough to afford one I wouldn't get it.

you can build a better computer yourself and still run osx
youtube.com/watch?v=GRX-6rWkuzk

It sucks as Sup Forums-server.

Mac Pros aren't like your mid-life Dodge/Mustang, it's just a waste. Build a dektop/hackintosh and get a Mac Mini if you want OSX.
Or just get an iMac, those hi-res screens are honest the biggest selling point

second hand NUC/BRIX is cheaper

I use them in my school for Adobe related stuff, pretty good. Only minor hiccups sometimes

Upgrade the RAM and tell me how it goes.

If you enjoy the taste of dick get one.

Is there any good websites with good hackintosh builds?

When did it get its last upgrade? 2012?

Stay away from tonymacx86 stuff.

tkware.info/2013/01/27/hypocrisy-thy-name-is-tonymacx86/

tkware.info/2013/01/29/honor-among-thieves-the-tonymacx86-hypocrisy-becomes-a-story/

I was just looking at the pricings and the $999 model is such a fucking rip off.
The CPU is only marginally better than the $699 model and you still get a shitty HDD drive, you're basically paying more to have more customization options to choose from.

And the $499 model is underpowered shit. If you're going to get something that weak you're better off just keeping half your money and building a cheap mITX based machine.
It might not be as small but mini computers aren't made to be seen. Just stash it behind something,

>good hackintosh builds
no such thing
whatever you get working breaks with the first update

>Stay away from tonymacx86 stuff
So is this link not safe? Where can I get something like this? -- tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/april/2016

Because you don't like the taste of dick in your mouth?

because you're an idiot.

this, it's what i'm doing and it saves like 200 bucks.

The hardware is old af

More his software than anything else.

There is no real reason.
Minis do a great job.
I used one for a year at work until I switched to a Macbook Pro.

You guys could at least *try* to be helpful or just ignore the thread -.-

> inb4 tripfag
> inb4 newfag

Good luck with lags. I hope you have strong nerve system.

if you have to ask you should

saged for fuck you

I am still using a 2011 Mac Mini, and I can even play Elite Dangerous with it at a lower resolution.

It's small, rarely runs the fan, and I've never had a hardware issue. I added an SSD of course, as soon as I bought it.

>hackintosh
Enjoy losing the ability to do updates and shit at the drop of an Apple hat user.

LOL, hackintoshers are even more pathetic than poorfag Windows users.

H-hiroyuki?

They use laptop parts now. You might as well just get a NUC. The old ones from 2012 were great.

Remember Windows is the real homo OS user.

Not really, my Hackintosh is much more powerful than a mac mini and can access files from my order here drives with different OS installations. Why buy 2 computers when I can use 1? Also you don't need the latest update to run most apps, the latest update does work on Hackintosh btw.

>underpowered
>literally powerful enough for 99% of all users
>"underpowered"

Can I have some of that crack you're smoking user?

Just because the latest update works this is no guarantee user.

Also, while you can build a hotter machine for less money, it's gay overall to build a Hackintosh.

Dumb cuckold poster

doesn't understand that just cause its powerful enough doesn't make it a good product because its a huge fucking ripoff

Rude

It's literally powerful enough for 100% of all users if you don't care about loading times and waiting on processing.

>doesn't understand that just cause its powerful enough doesn't make it a good product
No, there's the service, support, effortless integration with things like your home stereo, backup, etc...

You know the things that matter to customers, aside from the physical artifact itself.

>because its a huge fucking ripoff
This is subjective, and many people feel comfortable shelling out good money for Macs.

Here, look at the crowd at a typical Windows 10 event:

>loading times
Get an SSD.
>waiting on processing
Unless you are doing a lot of number crunching you won't be waiting that long user. A new Mac Mini has 2/3rds the performance as an entry-level Mac Pro.

Hardly weak.

>implying that the macpro is powerful

I'm implying that a Mac Mini is suitable for probably 99% of all users.

Unless you're transcoding, rendering, or doing massive number crunching 24/7 that is.

It's ok, I know you're just the poor Pajeet who nags every Apple thread for a rupee a day. Stay jealous poorfag.

>probably 99% of all users.

probably 99% of all users don't need a dedicated GPU?

bait somewhere else

>probably 99% of all users don't need a dedicated GPU?
Only about 1% of peecee users are gaymers user, most folks are casuals or don't game at all.

Because apple only makes good laptops. excluding the new shitty macbook.

because GPUs are only for gayming?

VLC/MPC/MPV, gimp/photoshop, even photo VIEWERS use the GPU. Fuck, your DE probably uses it

I would wait on getting a mac mini because a new one is certainly coming any day now.

>5400rpm hdd
into the trash

a used and inexpensive mac mini has value and is worth a shot for experimenting with OSX

>A new Mac Mini has 2/3rds the performance as an entry-level Mac Pro.
>using scores from geekbench to measure performance
Wow, it's like you're fucking retarded.
A good portion of the score for the Mac Mini will come from AES because the Intel chips hardware accelerate, but that is completely useless for the majority of applications that don't make use of AES regularly.

Loading times aren't solely limited by the hard drive and saying to just get an SSD further illustrates my point anyway.

>Unless you're transcoding, rendering, or doing massive number crunching 24/7 that is.
Even if you only do it occasionally it isn't worth paying that much for that level of performance to suffer through the times you are doing those things.

You're better off investing your money so when you do those things it isn't a chore.

>5400rpm hdd
>into the trash
Yup, just slip a SSD in there and we're off.

not him but GIMP/Photoshop are almost purely RAM intensive, common misconception like how Zbrush is assumed to need a powerful graphics chip when in reality it's actually the CPU that matters most
When is Apple just going to open up OSX to everyone, I'm hoping soon since they're beginning to fail

WHY SHOULDN'T I BECOME A DEVIL!?

You aren't hetero

nice trip
filtered anyway

ITT: Misery loves company

Stop being jelly because you're all poor.

>investing your money
Yes it's a great 'investment' to buy an overpowered PC simply so you can transcode occasionally. An investment doomed to lose money over time except for a few corner cases.

>When is Apple just going to open up OSX to everyone,
No reason to do this. Unless it sells more Macs, and even that isn't very important these days.
>I'm hoping soon since they're beginning to fail
One slow quarter? Apple still made more money than the next 4 companies in the 500.
Microsoft has quit whole product lines but you don't say they are failing.

>beginning to fail
Wait, they're no longer one of the most valuable companies on earth?

Are they down near Microsoft yet, which is worth like 1/6th of what Apple is?

>An investment doomed to lose money over time
You're saving time though, and time is money.

I'm on a laptop right now that has similar performance to the base model of the Mac Mini so I can give a fair comparison.
Photoshop on this is pretty much unbearable. If you work with an image around A4 size it takes a good two to three times as long to do stuff as it would on a better/i7 class CPU.
I don't use Photoshop very often but god damn if this was the best I had I wouldn't use Photoshop at all. Waiting on a couple of paydays to reassemble my i7 desktop.

The final part of the argument would be that an "overpowered" PC will take longer to go obsolete, and if you are buying something with a limited upgrade path like a Mac Mini then this should be a major concern.

No, investing in a base model Mac Mini would definitely be a waste of money.

don't buy a mac mini
only things worth buying from apple are macbook pro, air, and some of their displays

Just build a hackintosh. I'm posting from a very similar build to the one called customac pro or something on tonymac. Only use clover for boot, multibeast is shit, even the new one. It works great.

>You're saving time though, and time is money.
But if you're smart you just transcode as you sleep, and make money when you sleep by your reckoning.

It used to be good, then they ruined it by soldering on everything and removing the optical disk drive. not worth it now imho. sucks that the only two options for displayless macs now are cheap garbage like this and expensive workstation hardware like the Mac Pro. and iMacs have their own issues

I can't use Photoshop in my sleep though. Now you're just limiting it to one particular task.

Photoshop runs just fine on the Mini, it's not really an issue for me and I use it quite frequently.

Of course it could be a bit faster but it's not as if waiting for photoshop filters to finish has been taking up much of a person's day since the 68K days user.

because new ones are coming out soon.

Otherwise, mac mini is fucking GOAT tier.

If you need licensed install of OS X for developing iOS apps, I think you should spend a bit more for an Apple laptop so you can work from a variety of comfy locations. Or could you do that with another laptop and other operating systems and only need OS X for some minor step in the the process? I've never worked with that stuff, so I don't know. If you're content with one monitor in one place, I don't see any reason not to get a Mini if you need OS X.

Why shouldn't you fuck off back to macrumors with your circlejerk shill thread?

>as you slink back to the /hpg/ and /tpg/ and /csg/ threads

My mate Jono got a hackintosh and enjoys it. As long as you follow a good guide you should be right mate.

You should get one.

Mine is attached to a 970. It's portable when I move about and powerful when I'm at home connected to the eGPU.

Sounds like bullshit or your perception is fucked. My sis works with A4 images all the time, on a MBA from 2012 and from the look of it, things were reasonably fast. Given Mac Mini uses either 15W CPUs from 2014 Air or even 28W one from a MBP, performance seems like the smallest concern for most needs.

It's a shame you can't update the harddrive enough, looks like a cool, small homeserver, which loses it once connected to a 3'5 external HDD.

Neato. I had assumed Mac Pro was the only legit option for multiple monitors with OS X.

I was using multiple monitors with Macs back in the 1980s user, they never lost this ability.

All but a few Macs could run multiple monitors.

^desktop