What's the best long-term data backup solution?

What's the best long-term data backup solution?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/3033071/storage/permanent-superman-crystal-holographic-storage-is-etched-with-the-bible-magna-carta.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Multiple copies.

Get bluray burner if you don't already have one. Purchase some BR "m discs".
Burn all the shit you want to save to the discs.
Buy a fireproof suitcase or safe.
Store them in there.
Done.

Upload to Google Drive

Tape drive

Multiple copies across different media in different locations.

Crystal etching

Storing it in an Iraqi library.

>backing up personal files to literal botnets
'no'

>Google Drive is a "botnet"

Just encrypt it famalan. And store the decryption program and OS with it.

DNA
>inb4 microsoft botnet memes

>legoogleshillpretendingtonotbeone.jpg

Nah, considering every cryto-algorithm that is available to the public are all broken, Id rather not. Thanks though.
>inb4 tin foil hat
More like if you dont agree you are just simply naive/uneducated.

this

I'm not shilling for Google, dick-nose. I'm saying you're misusing the word "botnet". Maybe look up the fucking word and see for yourself.

SSD RAID 0

redundancy != backup

>considering every cryto-algorithm that is available to the public are all broken
That's ridiculous. You cant break math. If the algorithm is good enough all you need is an long password that makes cracking it unfeasible.

>smaller than a penny
>can store up to 380TB worth of data
>heat resistant up to 1000°C
>can last billion of years

pcworld.com/article/3033071/storage/permanent-superman-crystal-holographic-storage-is-etched-with-the-bible-magna-carta.html

Who cares? Would you rather I call it skynet? Everyone understands what the meme means. In fact, if you look up words being misused often enough, they actually take the misused meaning. Merriam Webster added a bunch of slang words recently just like this.

t. NSA shill/naive person who doesn't follow tech news

Also, brute forcing isn't the only way to crack cryto, genius.

Yeah, but the seek times are trash.

Small home server with RAID1, running and connected separately from other electronics in your house and having it's own high-quality UPS.

>damagecontrol.sh
uh huh

>ROM
Garbage

./backthefuckoff??!?!.sh

Brute forcing is the only way if you only have access to the properly encrypted files and not any hardware. And the password is salted.

And I must have indeed missed the news all encryption is broken.

RAID is redundancy. As pointed out redundancy != backup. My data array is 2TB volume in RAID1. I also backup once a month to a separate external drive that has hardware encryption and BitLocker configured that I store at my office. Worse case scenario is someone breaks in and steals all my shit, at least my data backups are off site somewhere.

You surely must have. Not only that but when they were talking about elliptic curve crypto going to take the equivalent energy of boiling all of the water on earth to crack a 512bit key, and then like a couple months later some researchers used a small cluster of amazon ec2 servers and cracked one in like 10 minutes or something.

Well, there are no other ways to store your data developed except a bunch of drives. The only difference is where you keep those drives: at home, at your local data center or somewhere in the mexican data center; and how you organize those drives: either it's a huge raid1 massive with independent power source or you store a lot of copies in the different places. This thread itself is meaningless as there is nothing to discuss in terms of "solutions" but not the organization of specific scenario.

LTO or m-disc BD.

What the fuck are you guys storing where you need to be worried about the NSA breaking into it? I can understand wanting privacy but they're not gonna waste their time decrypting your drive for family photos.

This, pretty much. That and redundant backups of anything important.

This is my dillema, I have a 32TB raidz zfs NAS right now and I can't seem to back it all up.

I have backed up my critical to important files with an offline disk drive yet I still have shit tons of hoarded crap that will be gone forever if 2 of my drives die.