Is a Hackintosh worth it?

Is a Hackintosh worth it?

No. Modern OS X is cancer. Older OS X is no longer supported.

No.

If you like OS X and all of your hardware is known to be compatible, yeah. It's a cool OS.

if you're dying for osx in a custom build, then yes.

Wrong. This is what contrarian hipsters say. Yosemite was buggy shit, but Do Capitan is fine.

>best OS with a hardware set you know is good

Only way to computer in 2016, don't let the linux fags tell you different.

Yes if you don't play games.

If you need games, that only 2 good options are Windows, or linux with gpu passthrough to a Windows guest.

Any Gigabyte + Intel + Nvidia build will be compatible, and many people buy that combo anyway.

If you're saying "worth it" as in the time it takes to get OSX up and running, that depends on whether you have OSX software that you need to use.

If you don't have OSX specific software, then no it's not worth it unless you are preparing a build for a non-tech person.

There are lots of "what if" scenarios that might make OSX worth it. Like if you're running a high DPI display and you need Photoshop. But for general use, you're best off dual booting Linux for desktop use and Windows for games.

Bullshit.

Fuck off. I was a mac user from back in the panther days. OS X was incredible compared to windows. It's why longhorn, AKA Vista, shipped early. Microsoft shat their pants at how great OS X was. Then they started doing their new version every fucking two weeks. And worse, the developers went with them. So I switched to linux. Snow leopard with a C2D was heaven though.

I only came here to thank OP for posting that beautiful image. Edited and added to wallpaper cycle.

Thanks OP!

Linux is nice, but I can't keep away from Photoshop and audio/music software, so a Hackintosh has been great for me. I'd recommend it if you have your own reasons and don't care about games.

It's comfy, but only if your hw is supported and you're using an ssd.

Why are GTK programs like gimp and libreoffice so slow on osx?

I'm building one soon OP

OSX was shipped years before Vista development started

What does your gay ass anime have to do with it anyways you fucking faggot? Literally nothing. Go fuck off weeeeeeeeeboooooo queer

What are those?

What are some reasons to use OS X over Win7 or Linux? Talking more so about OS X exclusive software.

Vista shipped years late you dunce

Nothing really.

/thread

What's a good laptop for a hackintosh? Would a chinkpad T420 suffice?

Looks like a translucent lobster

10.6.8 = Piece of shit

I ran a Hackintosh since Snow Leopard. If you have the right parts, it's incredibly easy and nearly as reliable as a genuine Mac. You'll have to put in the effort to learning Clover and all the ins and outs but it's pretty easy to get started. There's a huge community and tons of resources. Start with Tonymac's buy list and go from there.

Just to add that I no longer run a Hackintosh for unrelated reasons.

I sold my desktop PC since and got a rMBP from work that i use on my u2711 at home.

Laptops are a nightmare to install OS X on.

Post more Maki and I'll answer the question

It worked fine on my T420 since all the hw is supported except wifi. But OSX is a massive pile of shit clusterfuck of an OS with broken hacky lagging subsystem with a toy GUI layered on top, so there's no reason to ever use OSX.

Okay :3

I want to FUG Maki.

Only if you are ok with your OS breaking on every update

So no different than buying a mac?

Pretty much.

ghost shrimp/yabbies

Nice meme

No anymore. Unless you got some old Core 2 Duo and want to install Snow Leopard on it, then go for it.

trylobites

Took a new job where I had to use a Mac. Couldn't handle the different shortcuts compared to my mint box at home, so I turned it into a hackintosh. The only thing frustrating is audio so i just switched to a usb audio device and all is right with the world.

MAKI'S...............

PUSSY

For a weeb with infinite time yes, for everyone else no.

No, pick up a Mac or don't use it

Reported.

Maki america bread again

Being a Hackintosh enthusiast myself, no. No it is not. But it is a lot of fun and challenging if your using non compatible parts (my daily driver has an AMD FX-8350) and Mac OSX is just so aesthetically pleasing.

It's not worth it unless you want to do iOS development or OS X builds of something you've written without shelling out hundreds for a new PC you won't use much. Even then, you might be able to get away with a VM if you're lucky.

NOO! MAKI!

With Ubuntu in Windows 10 there's literally no reason to use OS X anymore, unless you have to do iOS development or something

Or unless you just browse the web ...

Then you're better using Linux.

is osx worth it
you still can't natively cut and paste certain things in osx

You sure? I bet as a home computer OS X is much better... importing pictures, printing documents, scanning, listening to music, writing cd/dvd's, browsing the internet, watching movies.

So much what could go wrong doing those things on Linux, even Ubuntu, what my parent's could not fix themselves and would have to call me over, things that they can't fuck up on OS X.

>unless you just browse the web

>you still can't natively cut and paste certain things in osx
Like?

>ham sandwitch
can't cut the ham nor paste the butter

Who the fuck would want to use Linux on their desktop? Stick with os x OP

Typical autistic response. Enjoy your inferior OS