E-reader discussion

Let have some discussion on e-readers.

This weekend I went out and bought two e-readers off craigslist. First one is a 7th gen Kindle, for $50. The second one is a Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, for $45.

I have to say the Nook is much better. I have an Amazon account, but I do not have any e-books associated to it. Everything I have is either epub or pdf. So I tried using Calibre to convert a couple books to either mobi or whatever the Amazon shitty format is, and neither worked on the Kindle. Each page had a couple lines of text. Totally unusable.

The Nook, however, is very nice. Super easy to put books on it, and it works perfectly with epub. The light is actually useful at it's lowest setting because the table lamp near my bed just isn't quite bright enough to see the e-ink.

I think I will keep using the Nook. It will be replacing my 2012 Nexus 7. Before that I used a Nook Color. I may give the Kindle to my mom.

I know I've seen people on here praising Kobo e-readers, but there weren't any on my local craigslist.

What does everyone use for reading books?

Other urls found in this thread:

ischool.utexas.edu/~adillon/Journals/Reading.htm
scientificamerican.com/article/reading-paper-screens/
insights.uksg.org/articles/10.1629/uksg.236/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have an old Kindle Keyboard and I download mobi books because I'm not a fucking idiot. Enjoy being brain dead.

>What does everyone use for reading books?
Eyes.

A good posture.

>reading books

Nook Touch with Glow-light. Rooted and all that. Use Moon Reader + and user Mango Reader for manga. Why would I ever, ever want anything else? It's literally so great and at $50 like holy shit and I added a micro SD card. Like all it does is read, why pay more money? Also manga, holy shit why do people pay so much for these things?

Why would you want to use an e reader?

Why wouldn't you want to use one?

To own the actual book you are reading.

We also read slightly slower on screens.

there are more ebooks sold than printed books

unless you're trying to impress bitches by having a bookshelf, you can own books and use an ereader

They are good. I have a kobi. It works. I read novels and g shit on it. I still like books for anything that really makes me work/think. If dislike the fact that the reader is so small and pads are a nightmare to read on.

That is mostly due to the price, they are cheaper. Why would you not want a physical collection?

What are you talking about? E readers now are a very little niche market

I read about one book per week. An ereader is the more cheaper option. Also, space and less use of paper.

reading books on something that I don't have to worry about charging (versus a tablet) and being able to carry around my entire library with me (which is great because I read a lot of technical books and being able to refer to something I didn't prepare to need is great).
I don't even care about eye strain anymore. I'm immune to that shit, I'm in front of a screen most of the day. and I know that I read as fast on a screen as on paper, I've been doing it almost my entire life.

People don't buy real books anymore. Avid readers switched to ereaders/tablets because its more convenient.

>they are cheaper
You just answered your own question.

Also being able to have your collection wherever.

i don't have a hoarder mentality
books today are an even more niche market

You will read paper faster I guarantee it.

How could you read paper faster than an ereader? What's the logic behind your statement?

Not him btw.

if it's not noticeable to me then I don't care at all. it's worth all the benefits that ebook provide.

What's the difference between e-reader and a tablet? Why can't a tablet work as an e-reader?

Battery life and amount of light directed at your eyes. If you want to read pdf, then tablet is the best choice.

Color display, refresh rate, battery life.
You can.

I'm not an ophthalmologist or a neurologist so I can't actually give you a true explanation.

Just test it out for yourself.

>anecdotal evidence

Sigh

ischool.utexas.edu/~adillon/Journals/Reading.htm

a low resolution green and black crt is definitely the device being discussed in this thread

>the difference between an e-ink display and a fucking crt

please learn it

scientificamerican.com/article/reading-paper-screens/

>what does everyone use for reading books

Nexus 6p

please cite specific and relevant information
use links as a source, not an argument

you keep providing articles that say "inconclusive", "no difference"

good job picking an article that barely mentions e-ink screens.
>E-ink is easy on the eyes because it reflects ambient light just like a paper book, but computer screens, smartphones and tablets like the iPad shine light directly into people's faces.
wow that sure convinced me to toss my Kobo

You didn't read it and I know you didn't because what you are asking for is linked in that article.

I'm not going to spoon feed you guys anymore. If you want to be ignorant be my guest.

insights.uksg.org/articles/10.1629/uksg.236/

i've already fully read both
just because you're a slow reader doesn't mean everyone is

even on screens

>9. General Conclusion
>The assumption that overcoming speed or accuracy differences in proofreading is sufficient to claim, as some authors have, that "there is no difference" between the media (Oborne and Holton 1988) is testimony to the limitations of some ergonomists' views of human activities such as reading.

read your own articles

>The interesting thing was that all participants said that they preferred reading on paper, even though the study found no support for it being more effortful to read on digital media. On the contrary, the older participants read both faster and with less effort on the tablet computer, due to the back lighting giving a better contrast, and because of this being better for older eyes
amazing

I have the current newest Paperwhite because there was a sale last year that made it cheaper than the Kobo equivalent.
I pirate all my books (Other than some free Kindle ones like War of the Worlds- I really wish you could sort by "Free" on the Kindle Store) and I think that it's fine.
If you want to give the Kindle another try, convert your files to azw3 instead. It's Amazon's new standard. .mobi works, but using .mobi doesn't add words to Vocabulary Builder, if that matters, and I'm sure there's other weird quirks with it that azw3 doesn't have.
I'll probably get a Kobo next because >freeasinfreedom.jpg but I like the Kindle.
Candide is a great book. Real funny, too! It's crazy to think that it came out in 1757? 59? Even in ye olde English, the footnotes in the Amazon version (Which is Gutenberg I think) get rid of the time barrier and opens up the book to be very funny.

I also got this case >amazon.com/dp/B00JP7R85E/ref=twister_B01822A4GM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
For a buck because of some book holiday promotion thing. It's a nice no-frills purely functionality-based kind of thing, and those are the best things.

you are the fucking worst.
>Kretzschmar et al. did a study in 2013 that compared reading effort on three different media: a paper page, an e-reader (e-ink) and a tablet computer.
>The interesting thing was that all participants said that they preferred reading on paper
if that study is based on user preference then don't fucking use that to tell me that MY opinion is wrong
>In a study from 2012, the authors Ackerman and Lauterman let 80 undergraduate engineering students read five texts either on paper or computer screens.
wow great another one that has nothing to do with e-ink displays
>Two years later Lauterman and Ackerman did another study to see if it is possible to overcome screen inferiority in learning and calibration. This time they let the students read six texts on either a computer screen or paper.
wow great ANOTHER one that has nothing to do with e-ink displays. by the way, I'm actually checking the original papers to make sure they're not secretly using e-readers.
many other surveys/studies in the article that use LCD screens show that some people do prefer screens vs paper, or suggest that there may be a bias against screen reading
>In one study, a comparison was made between how well students learnt by using course material in paper format and the same material made into seven web pages, with no scrolling being needed.
>The participants completed a knowledge test of 24 questions after reading their texts, and the web page group scored better on 18 of those questions, and significantly better (90% or higher) on six.
>But why did all the participants still prefer to read on paper? The authors suggest that it is more about people’s attitude towards the digital media than the actual reading experience: ‘The present findings thereby suggest that the scepticism towards digital reading media … may reflect a general cultural attitude towards reading in this manner rather than measurable cognitive effort during reading.’

My tablet's meant for amazon content display. But since I got it for free, I've made the most of it and got google play store on it.

FBreader is so nice. About the only downside is that I have to go into a book itself to adjust the background and text colors manually.

It's the only five bucks I've ever send to google play.

I really enjoy my iPad and I think many people looking for a new reading device should consider a full-on tablet.

I tried both mobi and azw3 (couldn't remember that off the top of my head). They both did similar things. The mobi file would show one to maybe several lines of text, but not a full page. The azw3 file would do a single line at the top of each page. Maybe I have to play with settings for the conversion, but it just seems like a lot of work when the nook works with no hassle.

As to everyone asking why not use a tablet; the answer is that the lighted display is very uncomfortable when reading in dim or no light. After reading for a half hour to an hour every night my eyes would have after images burned into them for several minutes when trying to go to sleep. And, yes, I lowered the brightness all the way. Also, a full on tablet is actually quite heavy compared to an e-reader. Both the Kindle and the Nook I got are surprisingly light weight. Not having to constantly switch positions and move around because of hand/arm cramps is awesome.

Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to fuck with the settings. I have a copy of Neuromancer that I haven't read yet because I haven't quite figured out how to get the formatting right, and I'll be fucked if I'm paying for fucking Neuromancer in a digital format. If that book worked on a Nook that happened to fall into my hands, yeah, I'd probably stick with the Nook. Especially if it has buttons. I wish I knew why Amazon tried to do the whole unibody thing when their products are matte plastic and not sexy at all.