/gcg/ - Graphics Cards and Display General: #054

Official Thread #054: The "Pascal" Edition

Good Morning,

This thread is to consolidate graphics card and display technologies discussion to reduce unnecessary thread clutter on Sup Forums. Let's also keep the shilling to a minimum, no-one fucking cares.

Direct any and all questions regarding Graphics Cards and Display Adapters here first, including purchase and sale questions:
Use For non-related questions, link to find the stupid questions thread:
Support questions should be directed to as per Sup Forums's sticky. Or just fucking Google it instead of shitposting.

In the news:
>New product launches! GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 Pascal graphics cards will be released in the coming weeks. O woe be AMD:
geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080
pcgamer.com/nvidia-gtx-1080/

If you find any news, post it below! Try to get at least two sources first!

Budget crown:
AMD RTG Radeon R9 380X

Performance crown:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 [pending]

/GCG/'s Choice
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 [pending peer review]

> NEW PASTEBIN -----> pastebin.com/GKpypK28

Buyer Guides:
>GPU's
www.logicalincrements.com
www.pcpartpicker.com
>Monitors/Displays
pcmonitors.info

Logical Increments happily accepts suggestions, comments, and criticisms. Falco Paunch!

Drivers:
support.amd.com/en-us/download
nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Someone on Sup Forums earlier this week claimed that Nvidia, with the release of their new graphics cards, had basically declared that they didn't give a shit about the competition, and that they would make the best graphics card they could no matter what. Discuss below, Is the dedicated desktop market actually as important to Nvidia as we all wished it was? OR are they moving/evacuating to greener pastures?

Thankyou.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MGyaR2sSBkA
ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/ladders/benchmark/overall/Medium_1080p?viewType=myself
youtube.com/watch?v=1NLBbNBwqxE
ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/ladders/benchmark/overall/Crazy_1080p?viewType=myself
youtube.com/watch?v=GDT7GP9l1-I
youtube.com/watch?v=v3dUhep0rBs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Whats better to get right now between 980 and 980ti?

SOMEONE BUY MY COMPUTER FOR MORE THAN IT IS WORTH SO I CAN BUILD A NEW ONE KTHX

Probably the Ti

Though the 980 might be easy enough on the wallet to allow sooner future upgrades.

>everyone right now

I'm starting to think there is no point in owning decent hardware anymore. When I was a kid PC games seemed to have such a bright future. We had shit like MS Flight Sim that even my dad liked and needed $3000 pc to run well. Now we have cartoony bullshit like Overwatch that I could probably play on my laptop. Games that actually push the envelope like Crysis become memes so nobody makes them anymore. Man fuck this. If I showed my dad Overwatch he'd look at me like I'm retarded. The only reason to own a good gaming PC is for really unoptimized stuff like Arma 3 or bad console ports.

What, you mean you don't want to run the latest 8bit piece of shit release at 10000 fps?

Guys, I just hooked my rig up after it being in storage for a couple months and now all my games are performing incredibly poorly. Games, such as XCOM 2 and FO4, I ran just fine on high settings are virtually unplayable in any settings. Things are low poly and framerate is nigh non-existent. Maybe I hooked something up wrong? I'ts very likely. What steps should I take in ascertaining the situation? I'm not overly knowledgeable in tech stuff.

24" 4K HDR Rec. 2020 OLED 120 Hz freesync monitors when??

The only recent novelty in games that I found nice was the use of photogrammetry as seen in battlefront. This shit is so sick.
But you're right, it's not even the better hardware but more how games are made that makes it a better progress.

Show your dad this:
youtube.com/watch?v=MGyaR2sSBkA
I found it impressive.

Dell has that stunning OLED atm, shame it's priced for billionaires

With the new Nvidia on the horizon, do you think we'll see an influx of cards on the used market?
I'm either thinking of grabbing a cheap GTX 760 to SLI with or getting a higher tier card to replace my current 760

Test PSU
Check you have all the required power connectors inserted into the GPU
Reapply thermal paste to both CPU and GPU
reinstall your OS
install/reinstall New drivers

How come GTX1080 is at no 15 while 290x still at the top? ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/ladders/benchmark/overall/Medium_1080p?viewType=myself

>/GCG/'s Choice
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 [pending peer review]

Who the fuck decided on that?

Also check your monitor is plugged into the GPU, and not the I/O plug on your motherboard.

My retarded friend had that problem. Was using his iGPU instead of his regular Graphics card. If you can't figure that out at a glance, call for help from someone IRL.

It looks to be a compelling card at its price. If its not gimped, then why on earth would you buy a brand new 390 anymore?

Bros, how long do you all think 4gb vram will last me

I need to know whether to get rid of this 980 before the value goes to shit

Get a 970 for like 100 bucks. A lot of new games aren't support SLI because the engines aren't very demanding.

If you're after resell value. Sell it asap.

If you only wanna play 1080p. Just fucking chill lad.

At 1080p? Probably another 2 years at least.

>It looks to be a compelling card at its price
But its not even out and who knows what retail price will be...

$379 USD

Did you not read the articles or watch the press event?

Cheers family

Uh oh.

That's the lowest recommended price, user.

>Also check your monitor is plugged into the GPU,
WELL, that's what it was. Thanks for the help. Feel free to ridicule.

while theyve (mostly) fixed the blue pixel life duration problem, it still suffers from burn in very easily. you wont see computer monitors cheap until they get around that as well.

Holy shit son.

These people exist outside of r/buildapc

What the actual fuck.

Yeah, it's such a shame because of how incredible they look. Definitely the next upgrade from my U2515H- not interested in 4/5K or higher refresh rates.

Is the US used market really that cheap?
A quick search doesn't yield any 970's below 200€ here in Europe

LOL oh shit still no Async compute

Welp 490 here i come

yeah, i always found it funny people talking about upgrading monitors the past year or two in threads here. im just like, you guys are retarded if youre not waiting for oled at this point. theyre all hyped over dumb shit like 4k

Not yet but it will tank soon I imagine.

>If you need a monitor now you should wait 5 years

>$379 starting MSRP for aftermarket vendors
>$450 for reference

I'm sorry son. We can't afford Christmas this year.

Any idea if AMDGPU drivers will support the 280x?

I won't switch to linux until that happens

oh come on, i know that if you actually needed one, that you should get one now. but thats not what theyre talking about. theyre doing stupid incremental hype upgrades, like buying a new phone every 8 months.

Yeah, I find 1440p perfect for browsing, playing games and doing uni-related stuff in MATLAB or whatever.

OLED is definitely the future... I was actually in stunned silence when I saw LG's 4K OLED for the first time.

1080 benchmark in Ashes. +10% over 980 Ti in DX12.

youtube.com/watch?v=1NLBbNBwqxE

you can access official benchmark here
ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/ladders/benchmark/overall/Crazy_1080p?viewType=myself

>most powerful card ever!
>10% increase over previous flagship non oc'd in dx12

Rip Nvidia

can you get freesync to work on nvidia?

>TWICE AS FAST AS TITAN TITAAAAAAAN
Stupid Nvidia fanboy shitposters. Lmao.

>Still slower than R9 290 cards
Holy shit. What are Nvidia doing?

>AMD cunts

Here comes first butthurt fanboy!

Salty?
Dubs confirm

And so /gcg/ turns into AMD vs Nvidia round -1/12. Time to make a new thread and try again?

Looks like paper launch dubs

Those are the major GPU manufacturers though.

Still turns the thread into a shitposting mess

No. We're here for another 250 replies I'm afraid.

One more. Choke on your IEDs. I'm getting a 1070.

Bitch please.
This isn't even my final form :^)

>purple leds

>not having uv lighting
Its like you don't even want to be schway

Hope you don't regret the purchase like the 970 owners did.

>Pascal is shit
>Polaris will also be shit
>Once again the choice is which color shit you want

Hurray

>schway
cray

>>Polaris will also be shit
>Full DX12 support
>14nm
>shit
Wow no pleasing some people

Maymay

>Shit colour LEDs
>Horrible Sony headphones/cheap audio interface
>Watercooled IED (AMD)

I feel sorry for you, poorfag. Maybe your parents should work harder. You're clearly underage.

youtube.com/watch?v=GDT7GP9l1-I

Sour grapes?

Get the fuck out of my thread you retarded attention whore ragefag. You're not even here for anything constructive.

>7506's
>not the best tracking cans of all time
>Focusrite 18i20
>cheap
>purple
>not God tier

You tried :)

I thought the whole point of /gcg/ was to contain that shit into one thread.

Kek'd

amd cunt? i want to know if i can get freesync to work on nvidia. that means i have an nvidia card.

can anyone answer this btw?

Nope, enjoy your proprietary vaporware that is g-sync.

The answer is probably no. Nvidia will block it and it wont really work till Nvidia stop crossing their arms and harrumphing at AMD, Intel, and Vesa.

They'll also spurge about why theirs is superior. And maybe it is marginally. But I doubt that Nvidia will adopt it till they can safely distinguish G-sync from Free-sync, or when 80% of monitors have Free-sync.

>not the best tracking cans of all time
you don't even mix anything fuck off retard

i see, thanks

>TRIGGERED
The internet is serious buisness, mayne

What is all this thing about async? Forgive my illiteracy but I just can't get it : render threads using different resources running simultaneously, sweet, so what's the thing? Pascal doesn't have it? Maxwell too? AMD does? And why is it tied to DX12, how does DX impact how the card can render stuff?

This. Can someone explain?

>my thread
your containment threads are working well, keep it up and keep yourself off the rest of the board.

>mixing = tracking
Oh, wow.

Because Pascal is literally just a Maxlel die shrink with higher clocks. People called that it would still be gimped in terms of asynchronous compute ages ago.

>he actually thinks he does any sort of production work with his focusrite meme equipment
holy shit

Novidyacuck shill general

>gets caught with his pants down
>y-you don't even do anything with that equipment, I bet!

:^)
#triggered

>carat nose reddit face
>pseudo-pro audio gear
lol

Sorry. I'm just never sure how to deal with the underage

>and keep yourself off the rest of the board.
I often do. But I do what I want.

Asynchronous compute is the ability for the GPU to schedule smaller drawing and rendering tasks between large tasks with long waits. Watch this video.
Nvidia has a shitter version called warp shaders, which basically do nothing with the DX12 API.
youtube.com/watch?v=v3dUhep0rBs

and you didn't even acknowledge my trips.
Rude.

Maxwell (and presumably Pascal) only have software async(or in other words it doesn't really have it but can act like it does), as opposed to GCN which has hardware async. Being able to do different things in parallel as opposed to sequentially (which is how GPUs normally work - you have a ton of cores doing the same thing) offers potentially significant performance boost assuming you have both hardware and software that can take advantage of it. DX11 doesn't support it, DX12(and presumably vulcan) do.

Oh wait, those were YOUR trips!

I am ashamed!

Why should anyone buy AMD? Seriously, give me some reasons.

directx is just a standardized library full of functions that can be utilized when all requirements are met. requirements are that everything in the chain needs to be "aware" that something in the chain wants to use it. so:
the os has to be aware
your drivers have to be aware
your gpu has to be aware
the game has to have it implemented.

theyre useful because it's something "nice" that a game can simply implement in a hopefully good way, so they can spend less time reinventing the wheel. theyre also universal graphics type shit, so that most game genres can use them if they want to.

async compute is just one of these functions, and it does as mku said however, mku, they have stated that pascal does indeed have async. maybe theyre just using it loosely?

to me, the only real reason is freesync.

Not having to play russian roulette with your drivers, for starters.

What's the difference in Freesync and G-Sync?

>Pascal is shit
This is true, but it will still get shilled everywhere. It's funny how those youtube reviewers even bragged about being pampered by Nvidia, and of course they will end up giving positive reviews of this garbage that isn't even worth the price it's being sold at. This is psychology 101.

/fit/ here

Sodium kills gainz, brah.
You're not gonna make it.

fuuuuuug

In short: Nvidia's stuck in the past with the thing they're really good at, serial processing, AMD's trying to get the industry to adopt async as a standard, because their cards are good at it, and it's a objectively better technique

What do you mean?

>maybe theyre just using it loosely?
They probably haven't gotten the drivers together yet. Its still early days for Pascal, and Nvidia were probably caught off-guard when DX12 was announced to have been stemmed from Mantle. I doubt Nvidia engineers look closely at AMD's stuff, until maybe now.

It's cheaper and basically does the same shit. Your powerbill suffers maybe an extra $20 a year?
Pascal and Maxwell both have Hardware level Warp Shaders, but Nvidia just hasn't figured out how to pipe them to the DX12 API.

And in all honesty. Ashes of the Singularity is a really shit example of Async. Stardock obviously tailored it to GCN. Not because they were paid or because they're shills, but because GCN was the only thing at the time that had Async worth a damn. Chicken and the Egg, or some similar story.

About $100. They do the exact same thing(although in a slightly different manner), only Nvidia's version is proprietary and requires the screen manufacturer to hand over a bunch of cash for the g-sync brick which naturally gets added to the consumer prices with interest.

theyre just two companys approaches at tackling the same problem. gsync seems to be a little bit better, but freesync is seeing adoption by monitor companies (since the monitor has to support it for it to work) at a much faster rate for various reasons. this adoption speed is why freesync is better, to me at least

I used to own sli of pretty much all top cards but I just sold my top of the line gaming PC a few months ago and bought an XPS 15.

So much stagnation in gaming. Nothing out there worth owning the newest shit for. No killer VR games. Nothing.

Tell me I'm wrong.