/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Please tell me that's a fake, the dial looks cheap as fuck.

>eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

it just looks bad in that photo

My 1965 spaceview is running +5s/day. Will watchmakers regulate a 214?

Went to try out the 42mm Hamiltons. They wear a lot bigger than the 42mm jap divers I usually wear. I'm pretty much restricted to a victorinox infantry gmt now, but it's ugly as shit.
Smh desu pham
Anyone got recommendations for a GMT watch under 1k that is below 42mm?

I'm not sure. My RR approved accutron with the 218 movement runs ~11s fast a day. I emailed a local watch repair place to see if they work on accutrons, but I have not received a response yet.

Plenty of quartz options from the big Japanese makers.

There's also the Seagull GMT from Perpetual Watch on the standard Sup Forums guide

It's absolutely gen my friend, it's just that I can't take a good pic right now with shitty cellphones. I'll post a good pic of it later, when I arrive to my house.

>another extra shitty pic of my Overseas

Regulate a movement like that is tricky, at least. Not many watchmakers will agree to touch it. I suggest you to leave it be for a while, have it adjusted when the deviance is way bigger than that.

Yeah im not great a descriptions, the case was a 2nd hand one from another watch, the bracelet was new so was the glass.
I made it sound more of a franken watch than it was, the hands are off a newer style sub than the one it is.
Lots of fucking around and i don't remember the jeweler but they were in California, i actually emailed rolex and they sent me too the jeweler which is about the only reason they re-issued the certification for the watch and changed the serial on the case.

The knife is a Helle dokka but i had a problem with the first set of scales so helle send me these beautiful curled finnish birch scales for it.

Being norwegian sometimes has benifits

This was meant for you:

There's also an orient star at 41.5x14.2 for ~700 but it's not exactly small

Top notch.

To the poster in thr old thread with the knife and pen in the rolex pic - I like the look of that pen a lot and palladium is one of my new favourite materials. I even got some put into my wedding band.

You are selling shit man, take your chinese replica and shove it in your arse

Haha ok

It's a beautiful pen to write with, not just beautiful to look at.
My colleagues call it the volcano pen.

Posting something to stay relevant

My watchmaker is apparently the fucking watch genius of Canada and he will not touch Accutrons at all. Says they are too much of a pain to work on and regulate. It's the one thing that's kept me from getting one.

He has great things to say about the Bulova Caliber 11, though. Apparently the most reliable automatic movement ever made, although far from the fanciest (Want hacking? Fuck you. Want more than 19,800 bph? Fuck you).

Should I cop?
Love me some anadigi

Looks terrible

Why?

Accutron, because metric sucks and fuck those fancy tools you bought for watch repairs

USA
USA
USA
USA

Go for it!

XD
Sitting in the hospital giggling now

Watch out! Masterrace coming through!

All jokes aside, what technical features are important for you? What makes a great watch? Jewels? Bph? Dual time? Day/date/month? Diving ability? Chronograph? Chronometer? Automatic v manual? Etc.

Aesthetics and price point are subjective and individal so leave them out.

I guess jewels and automatic.
I don't think i would use the chronograph.
Date and day window
Roman numerals

What your favourite/dream watch and the stats based on that criteria?

>maxicase on a maxiwrist.jpg

Lord matic arrived today, pretty happy with it. Loving the bph on it. The tiny Asian who owned it before me, has removed a lot of links on the bracelet so I put doesn't fit

So I'll probably sell a watch to fund a nice leather strap for it

Post minute sweep then.

Forgot pic

I'm working with an iPad from like 2010, can't really do that, it's my first time seeing a watch with a decent bph in person

Here is a photo of it on my wrist, cheers to the user who linked me to it, I'll buy you a beer or give you a curry seiko that works sometimes

Anybody into/like/interested in mont blanc watches?

Rolex's are surprisingly light by the way.

Going to sell this to fund the leather strap for my lord matic. After like $80. Willing to swap a strap or two for the watch

Old citizen, hand winding

Some of their high end watches are really quite interesting. Their "entry level' models are very much not however.

Glad you like it. I didn't want it since i had a similar dial and i would prefer to buy them with the original LM singed bracelets.

Now we have another Memematic special on the general.

Just don't quickset the day date between 9pm and 3am.

You're a top bloke

Can you give me a bit more info about them? What actually makes them desirable among collectors besides the obvious reasons

Are you calling my $3,000 watch boring?! Just kidding - that thing looks very interesting. I'll have to look up all the features.

Any idea what these are worth other than lots?

Found it: €38,000

Hi-beat, handwinding, hacking, thin for an automatic at 8~9mm ish, and very accurate when regulated and even when just kept clean. (mine is +2 secs a day)

Cheap to boot.

Not gonna call it boring, but the chapter ring really ruins the look.

>the chapter ring really ruins the look.
I never noticed that. I think you just ruined it for me.

I honestly don't know. Haven't really considered it.
Probably just some unicorn seiko
I have a long list of watches I want that I'm working through

Are you the same asshat from the last thread?

I don't like mont blanc pens, i imagine they are made by someone other than mont blanc? Or do they just have generic swiss movements?

I believe some of their models are made in house and others are generic Swiss.

Fatties shoukdn't wear watches. Especially not on their hands.

I don't think Mont Blanc pens have movements.

Gyrotourbillon or nothing for me.
No seriously as long as it houses a reliable movement idgaf, I just don't like chronographs, if it's a certified chronometer it's also a plus for me

>Aesthetics and price point are subjective and individal so leave them out.
Really? When you ask this:
>what technical features are important for you?
>important for you
Literally subjective.

Sure, good point. Thanks for contributing to the thread. Fucking faggot.

Let me rephrase: what readily measurable attributes are important to you?

Yeah woops punctuation helps, i don't like the modern pens they are cheap feeling, the old ones are much nicer. I don't imagine the watches will be much different

Parnis GMT Master II. If you pay a bit more you can get one with sapphire crystal & a chink ETA clone.

It's still subjective as fuck, you stupid faggot.
Whether I find Chronograph or water restistance important is a subjective opinion.
Jesus christ.
What I find most important is aesthetics.

It's true, though. My watch is not a tool.
I mostly wear dress watches, as I wear suits/dress shirts most of the day.

Speedy in spess

>ugly chapter ring with nonmatching arabic numerals
>ugly fat roman numerals and indices
>ugly extra wide date window and indicator
>ugly offset guilloche drawing the eyes to absolutely nothing
>ugly Swiss Meme inscription
>ugly fat lugs
>ugly tapered crown

>dirt poor butthurt bitch
Ok, then.

> dat Overseas
So, has anyone ever posted better watches than lawyerfag?
I mean, really owned by them.

>
>>ugly chapter ring with nonmatching arabic numerals
Yeah its pretty bad, also unnecessary
>>ugly fat roman numerals and indices
Clear concise and easy to read from a glance
>>ugly extra wide date window and indicator
Is the numbers that run it for me, 10, no today's date is dot
>>ugly offset guilloche drawing the eyes to absolutely nothing
Drawing the eye to the mont blanc logo they slap on everything
>>ugly Swiss Meme inscription
They are all ugly
>>ugly fat lugs
Lugs are fine komrade
>>ugly tapered crown
Is not that bad

How many of you just uses natos or leather straps to avoid having your arm hairs pinched?

that is awful.

They are pretty comfy, and a lot better than using shitty old slav bracelets.

Thinking of what case should i use for this Vostok. I like the dial and the movement does +5 daily so it will be cheaper to do a caseswap.

It's currently in pic related, i got a 420 case lying around but i would like to test either the 120 or 110 case.

>9.11
It was the mountain Jews all along!

Where is your god now Speedyfags?

>that is awful.
It's literally a Rolex GMT Master II with a sterile dial from a looks perspective.

>inb4 fake
Mission is supposedly Expedition 9 of 2004.

>taking a picture of a watch on your wrist in a shop and post it on an anonymous imageboard for hungarian cavepaintings
OK.

Listen you cocksmoker, just take the question as it was intended and stop being a pedantic dick wrangler with nothing else to do but pick other people's posts apart.

Kek

Post your 3k+ watch.

I'm going to call him Steve Irwindale from now on because he got stung! Seriously though, nice one bro.

Fair criticism.

You. I like you. I kill you last.

>Listen you cocksmoker, just take the question as it was intended and stop being a pedantic dick wrangler with nothing else to do but pick other people's posts apart.
>NO SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS ALLOWED
>PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS
Literally retarded.

Post watch

>my watch is expensive therefore it is good
Go eat a 3000€ dick.

I wasn't aware that they made watches. I like it, user.

Stfu pleb. Stop posting when you have literally zero to contribute.

Thanks user. As has been posted above its not for everyone but it's different and it's iterating if nothing else.

What watch is this? Speedy?

Yes. Lonchakov also wore the space Seiko on another EVA.

But I did contribute. I pointed out how terribly flawed your logic is.

A space Seiko !? Sauce!

Seiko Spaceview.

Seiko Spacewalk, a Springu Draivo watch designed for EVA's.

Oh wow, it is impossible to get...

I want a cheap-ish space watch :

See

get a job

You can still get Strela's for sub 1000$.

We even had a guy who bought one along with 2 more watches for 300 euros.

Imagine how much it would cost to send it to Japan from the ISS and back for servicing..

Easy comrade, throw it out the airlock

Priced for astronauts

>space watch

The whole "space watch" thing is a scam.

Plenty watchmakers claim proudly one of their watches survived space, but really we've yet to find one that hasn't. I'm sure even a chink analog would, as long as the battery remains in place.

The hard part of space is getting human lives up there and back, safe and sound. Hardware is just fine. Having worked for the European Space Agency on a variety of programs, I can easily confirm that. You wouldn't believe the stuff that's up there, fully functional, despite being designed and built like shit. Oh there's plenty vibrations at launch, but little to no hard shocks. Any watch can easily survive things that would kill you, and what do you care your watch keeps running when you're dead?

It's a business more than anything: astronauts get offered, even paid to wear those watches, so they appear in pictures, brands gloat over it, and wristfedorafags pay fortunes to get something that isn't even special. Watches are 99% roleplaying, space watches simply are the highest level of roleplay.

Get a Casio F91W, it can survive in space.

Best comment I've ever seen in these threads. The true is so painful.
Anyway I doubt the Soviets made business like that.

* truth

How can a mechanical chronograph be a functional watch in space?
It's definitely a scam by the eternal mountain jew.

I think NASA used accutron movements on basically all clocks except the wristwatches on the Apollo missions.

More important then building the watch is testing and certifying it that it is indeed safe for space/EVA use. Sure most watches will survive, but what if a particular model has a hidden defect that makes it unreliable or hazardous in space.

Example: Vostoks have been in space without problems, but the Amphibia 1967 would definitely be a bad idea with its exploding mineral crystal. Another example would be the original Mark II Speedmaster, that was purpose built for use in space and the surface of the Moon, but NASA rejected it since they didn't want to go through the evaluation process all over again.

>what if a particular model has a hidden defect that makes it unreliable or hazardous in space
It's just as likely fo fail at ground level.

Also if you need to rely on a fucking watch in space, you're surely a retard. It's as fucking useless as relying on a so-called "dive watch" during while actually scuba diving.

The Rolex GMT is beautiful, that imitation is a piece of crap