New Linux Logo

Hello Sup Forums,
Linus here.

We at the Linux Foundation heard you and we agree that it is time to change the Linux logo (Tux).

Please help us design a new one. The best submission from this thread (and if necessary, subsequent ones) will be chosen as the new Linux logo.

Thank you for your help and continued support.

Best regards,
Linus Torvalds

its shit

Not sure I like the ice-cream without the ice-cream cone.

What flavor is it?

w10 styled metro tux

ElementaryOS

interjection.avi

Don't do it, Linux! My city's zoo had the penguin that inspired it!

Canberra is my favorite place in Australia, nice cool nights

Yeah, I quite like the cold since moving here, pity it doesn't really snow though, I think it's got something to do with the elevation, because we get below zero. It snows like one day a year for about 45 minutes and that's it.

My fee is $1.2 million

Its shit

It's contemporary, you just don't get it.

It is GNU + Linux, not the other way around.

Not marketable, more people have heard of Linux than GNU.

Linux runs first.

Why is N bigger than any other two letter combined? What makes it so important? Why dont X and N have the same angles?

N is bigger because Niggers have the biggest dicks.

To signify that the "N" is emphasised when saying "Linux". The X has the angles that matches Mac OS X's 'X' to push the idea that they're both Unix operating systems, and that by running Linux you're sort of running a Hackintosh. Again marketing.

IN LOO, Pajeet

>I have no clue what design is
please stop posting

What? It makes sense.

* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *
g g
o / \ \ / \ o
a | | \ | | a
t | `. | | : t
s ` | | \| | s
e \ | / / \\\ --__ \\ : e
x \ \/ _--~~ ~--__| \ | x
* \ \_-~ ~-_\ | *
g \_ \ _.--------.______\| | g
o \ \______// _ ___ _ (_(__> \ | o
a \ . C ___) ______ (_(____> | / a
t /\ | C ____)/ \ (_____> |_/ t
s / /\| C_____) | (___> / \ s
e | ( _C_____)\______/ // _/ / \ e
x | \ |__ \\_________// (__/ | x
* | \ \____) `---- --' | *
g | \_ ___\ /_ _/ | g
o | / | | \ | o
a | | / \ \ | a
t | / / | | \ |t
s | / / \__/\___/ | |s
e | / | | | |e
x | | | | | |x
* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *

Mildly dislike someone? Make this the message in their bootloader!

Holy fuck, even by /gd/ standards you're a massive faggot...

I need more in the way of constructive criticism, perhaps you're both just jealous you didn't think of it?

I like it, but the L needs to be wider. Also, please get rid of + GNU, because not every Linux has GNU utilities in it. The example I can think of is embedded devices.

Cliché. We're looking for something fresh!

>plus GNU

Here you go linus

(Loved scrapyard wars by the way)

This isn't reddit, autismo.

It can't be done, Tux is already perfect.

It represents that Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Loved scrapyard wars by the way
Consider killing your self right now

>All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux
>All
what if i compiled everything with clang, used a different libc and busybox coreutils?

Then you'd get something like Alpine linux.

>Alpine ganoo+linucks

Then you'd find the logo especially likeable.

Kek

I like the bunsenlabs logo.

That's not GNU, then

delet this

>plus GNU
ITS GAHNOO

>ITS GAHNOO
It's it's, not its

Commutative property of addition.

Addition on strings is noncommutative

Top-tier fucking logo

Yeah, this is good.

This has to be a troll. You can't be the father of Linux and expect serious logo suggestions from the chan....

Bring back Tuz imo

If they were to actually change it I'd say this would be the best option, except without the GNU part obviously. Only fags actually call it GNU/Linux. It's like they want people to hate it

>this would be the best option
It was clearly made by an amateur. The curve representing the feet looks terrible, and although I understand the penguin is supposed to be turned some, it looks really goofy how one side of his body is way thicker than the other.

Also his beak looks unlike any mainstream penguin I know.

NICE. Why isn't this official?

those aren't strings, they're memes

Can't compile Linux without GNU.

Someone can't tell the difference between Linus Torvalds and LinusTechTips

Somebody's too autistic to recognize a joke

>getting reverse fooled

joke's on you, I was just pretending to be fooled by you pretending to be fooled by somebody pretending to be a fool

That looks like a screaming person. We don't want to give the impression Linux users are tortured.

Let's not start WW3. Apple has an army of religious fanatics.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Penguins?

Fuck off, Stallman. I knew you'd be lurking here.

Maybe add an axe and a shield to make it a bit more tacky.

Shouldn't it be the corner puzzle piece? ;)

Cool as fuck.

Fix the feet on that one. And make the arms/flippers a bit more realistic.

It's a rat!

Is that the best you can do, Sup Forums. I was told this is _the_ place on the internet for logos.

Not bad.

SHOW ME YOUR WARFACE

Was anyone else triggered by his ted talk where he said "it wasn't called open source, back then it was called free software"?

>Not bad.
Actually is pretty hard to make it worse than the current logo.

>the next digital revolution

2017 will be the year of the Linux desktop. I guarantee it.

Sorry Linux, but there will never be the year of the Linux desktop since Linux is just one of many kernels of the GNU operating system.

>Is that the best you can do, Sup Forums. I was told this is _the_ place on the internet for logos.
Maybe you were looking for /gd/?

At what point does your operating system become GNU? If someone's running GCC and Emacs under Windows 7, is their operating system "GNU/Windows"?

Stallman, you weasel.

The year of the Linux desktop is coming, it is only a matter of when. But the year of the GNU Hurd desktop will never come.

nobody cares about your opinions faggot

Make this official

only one thing worse than people who use proprietary software
linux fanboys

Windows is not a kernel, it's an operating system. The kernel of Windows is called NT. Would you call Windows just NT? No. So don't do it with GNU.

So then what exactly is GNU as an operating system? What do "Linux distributions" have in common besides the kernel?

>The kernel of Windows is called NT. Would you call Windows just NT? No. So don't do it with GNU.
“Windows” is the collective name for the whole package as called by the creators. NT is one of its components. The user interface is another, etc.

“Ubuntu” is the collective name for ubuntu as called by the creators. Linux is one of its components. The user interface is another, etc.

If you want me to call “Ubuntu” “GNU” instead, then you should also want me to call “Windows” “Explorer” instead.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>What do "Linux distributions" have in common besides the kernel?
systemd

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as GNU Mach or even kFreeBSD, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.

>>If you want me to call “Ubuntu” “GNU” instead, then you should also want me to call “Windows” “Explorer” instead.
Nobody said that. If you're talking about a specific distro, call it by it's name, but when talking about the core operating system Ubuntu is running, call it GNU, because you don't know if a distro is running Linux or another kernel. There are many distros with different kernels like Arch and Debian for example.

>ut when talking about the core operating system Ubuntu
nice “core operating system” you have there

Do you still have the wallpaper (upper)?

No, but you could take any square chunk of it and tile it

That would imply basic technological understanding and computer literacy

Your picture is misleading; it shows a distribution, not a operating system. The added components are different with every distro.