I have an i7-6700k, will I ever need to upgrade?

I have an i7-6700k, will I ever need to upgrade?

give me a reason that isn't games

For general computer use? Probably not in your lifetime really.
For gaming? Maybe in a decade.

6 year old Westmere hex core xeons outperform it in multi threaded workloads.

If you want real performance for real workloads a overpriced quadcore like the 6700k is already dead on arrival

Just pair it with Nvidia and you are settled. They perfected gaming and gpu

Unless theres going to be some radical shift in how CPUs are generally utilized, then fuck no.
As in if they're going to start adding a ridiculous amount of cores to future CPUs and that becomes the next major requrement.

This thing is going to be good for as long as it stays alive.

Also this.
If you're doing something else than gayming or general use, then you'll see real life benefits in upgrading to newer tech.

What about the i5-2500K?

What are you using it for?

Still good enough for gaming, especially if OC'd to 4.4Ghz+

However it is getting a bit long in the tooth and you would certainly see an improvement upgrading to a 6600k or 6700k. However, I would recommend waiting if all you do is gaming.

On an unrelated note, I should be fine with my 5820k for a few years of encoding.

Wait for Zen.

Whatever you say, nvidiot.

>buying first release architectures

Cannonlake TBR in a year

I'd recommend 4790k over Skylake even though the platforms phased out

Also Microsoft ends win7 support on pre-skylake architectures effective next year

>The electricity bill? I dunno, mom pays it.

oh please, at the national average of $0.13 per kW/h you'd have to have a fucking 1500w difference running 24/7 to have any appreciable difference on your power bill.

Should have gotten a 5820k

this desu, unless it's for gaming ONLY.

Then you should have gotten the i5-6600k and not been stupid enough to fall for the i7 meme.

MS reneged on that shit.

Keep telling yourself that, AMDPOORFAG.

They only pushed it back a year.

>Keep telling yourself that, AMDPOORFAG.
excuse me?

so would my 3570k be good for gayming and general computer usage for the forseeable next decade? I was planning on doing a new build soon but I might just jew out and save the money

man you're triggered easily

On games its still good. You'd get more stable fps as in less dips with newer tech. However its not to the extent youd notice it a lot.

Yet you replied.

I bought i5-750 around 5-6 years ago (cant recall) and it lasted pretty fine so far.

I plan to buy i7-6700K around late July (along with some new GPU, but I guess 1070 wont go lower yet at that time) and I hope it will last for another 5 years.

yea the previous dude wasnt me

>Westmere hex core xeons

My 6600k gets a better cpu mark score than that does, dude

Intel hates your freedom, so yes, you can always upgrade to a less fascist CPU vendor.

Question to you computer freaks:

Why do CPUs lose value so slowly? I mean, it makes no sense to me. Let's look at the Intel i3-6100 (Skylake) and Intel i3-4360 (Haswell). They are very very similar (the Skylake being a little more performant and efficient), but the Haswell one is more than a year older than the Skylake one — still, the Haswell is much more expensive than the Skylake. Same with basically every older generation: You get less performance for more money. It makes no sense. It's like Intel operates in some kind of surreal anti economy.

You'll be fine until AMD fucks Intel's shit up with the ZEN line of processors.

Passmark scores are way too dependent on single threaded performance IMO.

Gentoo

Photography editing.

pleb

>970 is a placeholder for 1080

>40% improvement from Excavator
>Less power usage
>Less heat production
AMD is making promises they cant keep

Why? Those are all very reasonable and realistic promises. If I was a better man, I'd put money on a Jim Keller architecture meeting its goals.

>better

*betting

Rendering nsfw animations

how does it feel that your 3.5 meme is worth half of what it was a week ago?

You know that's worse than my setup besides the GPU right?

And my GPU is also a placeholder for a 1080.

Games, engineering, architecture, vidjagames, and videogaems.

I don't really care - I built it in nov, and I had to get something to hold me over until now.

>people still mad that skylake made their shit obsolete
>mfw

go away pajeet

Pajeet is loyal to Wintel only, my friend