The Great Debate

Which community rules the board?
Let's clear it up, once for all.
strawpoll.me/10176543

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as GNU, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called “GNU", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux Project. There really is a GNU and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

GNU is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU is normally used in combination with the Linux operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “GNU” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

thanks

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as kFreeBSD or even GNU Mach, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as kFreeBSD or even GNU Mach, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU. Memes

I just voted BSD since it's the closest thing I found to the OS I'm running (Linux).

Shit b8 m8

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as kFreeBSD or even GNU Mach, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU. Memes

>I lied on an online poll
Unforgivable

bump for great justice

GNU wins.

Why do you inbred fucks never put captcha on your retarded polls? some autist will just come in with a bot and rape your votes

IP check is enabled, retard.

Mac user here, I voted OSX.

GNU is not an OS.

take this, wendies

found the tech illiterate

But I'm not using any GNU software

Then your OS, using the Linux kernel, seems not to be listed, therefore you shouldn't vote anything.

The fuck you just said?

But I need to one-up the Pajeets plus much of my software is shared with BSD.

>OS X: 4
I never knew it was a meme.

I will donate 5 dollars to the EFF if that is not a virtual machine.

OSX users usually prefer tumblr "artist" blogs than visiting Sup Forums.

nobody cares ms special snowflake

>special snowflake
The vast majority of all Linux users are using operating systems that have very little to do with GNU.

the majority of linux users don't even know what kernel their system runs.

should I use linuc 3 or linuc 4?

kek, so much this

Ah...that explains the high retarded vote. Atleast you can rig it.

>no captcha

The poll with 500+ votes showed 50% Windows, 40% Linux, 5% OSX, 5% other.

Excluding Android (which exists in its own and completely disjoint ecosystem), virtually every modern Linux distro runs on an ecosystem primarily developed by Red Hat with commercial interest in mind.

It's Red Hat, not GNU, that made modern Linux what it is, and caused it to even be used at all. They also dictate the future trends, and set the standards. Just look at systemd for an example.

systemd is now practically in charge of the whole operating system outside of the kernel, with Linux in charge of the rest.

>Linux
Linux is a kernel nigger. Fuck your poll.

Lennard?

Actually I prefer to go by the name of Lennerd

>set the standards
>rpm

pick one

(OP)
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as GNU, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called “GNU", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux Project. There really is a GNU and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

GNU is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU is normally used in combination with the Linux operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “GNU” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>he doesn't run GNU/Hurd

As a Linux user I should say that linux pretty much sucks. But then again, windows sucks too.
With Linux, it almost never works. For real. It really REALLY breaks in random ways 90% of the times.
But windows is like a toy OS that isn't good for anything but playing vidya and browsing the internet.
And Mac is expensive.
So yeah there's no good technology out there.

>windows
>good for browsing the internet
sounds like you are trolling

oh yeah and *BSD has shitty wireless support

landmines are good for filling potholes.

>no TempleOS

This board shall be cursed by the wrath of God
god 1 cia niggers 0

>It breaks
Where you doing something you weren't supposed to? I mean, GNU/Linux has come a long way.