/gcg/ - Graphics Cards and Display General

The King Edition

Hello,

This thread is to consolidate graphics card and display technologies discussion to reduce unnecessary thread clutter on Sup Forums. Let's also keep the shilling to a minimum, no-one fucking cares.

Direct any and all questions regarding Graphics Cards and Display Adapters here first, including purchase and sale questions:
Use For non-related questions, link to find the stupid questions thread:
Support questions should be directed to as per Sup Forums's sticky. Or just fucking Google it instead of shitposting.

Budget crown:
AMD RTG Radeon R9 380X

Performance crown:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

/GCG/'s Choice
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

> NEW PASTEBIN -----> pastebin.com/GKpypK28

Buyer Guides:
>GPU's
www.logicalincrements.com
www.pcpartpicker.com
>Monitors/Displays
pcmonitors.info

Logical Increments happily accepts suggestions, comments, and criticisms. Falco Paunch!

Drivers:
support.amd.com/en-us/download
nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/GKpypK28
overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1080_ashes_of_the_singularity_benchmarks/1
youtu.be/8lTGk0R12gs
youtube.com/watch?v=7jIDbZG1VxY
videocardz.com/59725/nvidia-gtx-1080-polaris-10-11-directx12-benchmarks
mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-4k-benchmarks-leaked/
pcpartpicker.com/p/MsWY6h#incompatibilities
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first

>recommending cards that aren't even out yet

AMD4LYF

So memes and fanboyism aside is the 970 still the king of 1080p? I want to play black ops iii without it looking like shit. Currently using a 260x

You can preorder them retard.

r9 380x is cheaper, but shittier in 1440p. Does well in 1080 though, you don't need anything more powerful really.

wait for polaris tbqh

They told me to buy Nvidia. Shills!, i said. Now look at me
>inb4 hurr why didnt u prntscr u dumdum
Shitty keyboard, pretty much wverthing right of the enter key doesn't work.

>pastebin.com/GKpypK28
Had a good chuckle at Language and Etiquette. Thanks OP

>implying anyone is going to be able to discuss display tech amongst all the grafixbabbies screaming
Why would you do this?

>wait for polaris
All these shill need to shut up and do like two minutes of research before spouting this nonsense.
Polaris is not even going to compete with Pascal for quite a while because AMD have said that they are going to first launch the low-mid end cards.
So if by "wait for Polaris" you mean wait almost an entire year for the high end amd cards that will probably not match the nvidia cards anyway, then by all means go do that but stop your incessant amd shilling.

m8

nvidia can't even touch mid range amd cards in dx12 as it is now

Link?

Yes, that's why I said Polaris will be targeting mid range cards.
They won't be able to compete with the 1080 or 1070 because these are both high end cards, so I don't see the point in encouraging everyone interested in one of these to "wait for Polaris."
Polaris is not even catering to the people interested in the 1080 and 1070.

>not realizing that "midrange" for next gen GPUs means top of the line performance compared to this generation's chips
>not realizing AMD has a 50% smaller die and can sell them vastly cheaper
>not realizing that AMD has much higher chip densities and thus can fit vastly more transistors into that smaller chip
I'm not saying AMD is going to slap nvidia's shit

but AMD is going to slap nvidia's shit.

did you literally forget that the 980 is mainstream performance for nvidia today?
did you literally forget that the 1080 is the 980 successor?
this is nvidia's midrange lineup, 1070 and 1080.

good goy

1080 is midrange
>b-but muh 80
It's a GP104 chip, it's midrange. GP100 is enthusiast.

Bingo, the 1080 Ti and Titan X80 will be enthusiast high end

sure "mid range" at 600 buckaroos fucking assholes

So the biggest things for me are the non-reference design cards for both AMD and nVidia, I plan to get either a 1080 or an AMD poolaris 10 card depending on when Polaris releases and how the performance and DRIVERS compare to nVidia and the 1080.
Drivers killed it for me the last release that I bought an AMD card because it took over a year for AMD to unfuck the 7970 drivers, which left me with a $450 brick for 8 months until I sold my rig out of rage. I'm waiting at least a month after 1080 release to see how it actually performs and it's driver support

That's how much the 8800 gtx cost when it first came out

overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1080_ashes_of_the_singularity_benchmarks/1

Thoughts on GTX 1080 barely pulling ahead of Fury X (~10%) in Ashes of the Singularity in DX12 ?

At $4-500 dumbass, 1070 is midrange too and is supposed to outperform the titan x and 980ti
The accuracy of nVidia's marketing skills to the actual performance are yet to be verified as no consumer benches have yet to be released since the card isn't yet available to the general public because it doesn't release for two more weeks

And the last card I bought from AMD was the gigabyte 7970 OC, that shut was gimped for over a year and a $450 brick the entire time except for on Civ. 5 and dead space 3.

>At $4-500 dumbass, 1070 is midrange too and is supposed to outperform the titan x and 980ti
[source required]
Because I'm fairly sure they only talked about the 1080's performance.

and was that not the second best card out from nvidia at the time? is that midrange too?
1070 might be mid-to-high end. i don't trust nvidias marketing at all. have you not seen the jewish tricks they pulled?

Fucking retard kill yourself. The point is that you can't recommend a card that hasn't even reached the consumers hands yet.

>and was that not the second best card out from nvidia at the time? is that midrange too?
Actually, it was the single best card at the time, the 8800 Ultra came out later.

Watch the Michio kukoo lookalike release video again moron, he went in depth on the 1080 and then said they are going to release a 1070 and 1070 founders edition for $375 and $499 respectively June 10th 2016

>1080
>GDDRX
>Pre-emption
>King
>overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1080_ashes_of_the_singularity_benchmarks/1

5fps over an old architecture, 28nm Fury x. Thats sad

Inflation

Yes, and that gives literally no input on the 1070 performance. For all we know it could be barely beating the 980.

With gimped effects no less...

But it's the way it's ment to be played, so who am I to say

Hence the whole "until I see 1080 and AMD Polaris performance and driver support" part

What can I buy now that will last two to three years before needing a replacement?
No liquid cooling, not interested in 4K, but price is no object.

DAT 10% inflation per year

No shit, see

>budget crown
>380x

I think the 380 would be the overall budget crown globally.

Nothing except maybe 4 way crossfire fury x, in two weeks, 4 way SLI GTX 1080

This tbhfam
>buying a cheeky 2gb XFX 380 for $150 to hold me off until a Black Friday build I can splurge on

youtu.be/8lTGk0R12gs

You're the retard. Until they come out, the recommendation is to not buy any until they're out.

/THREAD
fuck you nvidia shills
I mean I'll buy a 1070 if it has good vulkan support and overclockability, but Jesus I'm expecting disappointment like any rational person

one normal guy in here.

I'm going to stop taking my wife's son to PlayLand and save some money for a 1080.

>1080 at least $100 more expensive than 980
>1070 bottle necked by the memory

youtube.com/watch?v=7jIDbZG1VxY

So when are the laptop version (M) of those 1070 and 1080 supposed to come out?

videocardz.com/59725/nvidia-gtx-1080-polaris-10-11-directx12-benchmarks
Polaris being a joke. (Just like all AMD products)

ashes of the singularity is irrelevant, it's not representative of a typical game, it's a really shitty amd-optimized game that's the exception to the rule that nvidia rekts amd's shit. Boy are you fucking faggots in for a surprise when async meme doesn't save you guys

So how does the r9 280x stack up against newer midrange cards? Ive had this thing for quite a while now in one of my rigs

this

Now that we know the 1080 will out perform the titan at almost half the cost, what should people who have bought the 980ti do? Buy another video card?

Im not sure if I approve nvidia's marketing strategy, as "good" as it is.

A 1080 would probably last you that long if it's as good as they say.

That's not true and you know it
All dx12 titles show embarrassing gains for AMD over nvidia. Nvidia never had better hardware, just drivers, and now they're losing to AMD in both when it comes to everything other than dx11 titles and even in many of those are losing to AMD recently

Those results were confirmed to be inaccurate you nvidiot samefag.

You should compare 1080 to 980ti and not Titan. Titan is garbage.

Nvidiots:

>no async compute
>no DX12
>7.5 GB

explain yourselves???

Why are MSI's twin frozr cards so fucking popular?

FUCK YOU. AMD SUCKS. ILL NEVER BUY AMD. NVIDIA IS A FUTURE. FUCK YOU RETARD.

I remember fucking X800XT with Twin Frozr being very popular back in 2004.

They're pretty quiet relative to some of the swings and misses from other companies that have come out and MSI is generally regarded as a safe brand for both AMD and Nvidia stuff.

>massive community
>runs cool
>good warranty
>usually only $20 more than reference cards

whats not to love?

>1402037°C
How's the sun's core, Helios

>>massive community
What community?

I know that feel, I bought 280 for £130, lowest I've ever seen it

Why do you recommend logical increments? There CPU GPU pairings have always seemed too GPU heavy for me. choosemypc.net seems to be more reasonable.

Logical increments are great. Also made by Sup Forums trip. Good luck to your site tho.

>benchmarks when neither card is released yet
lol

>preordering anything
hang yourself

>choosemypc.net seems to be more reasonable
Made by reddit's /r/buildapc. No ty.

>rumored performance of nvidia card based on non confirmed benchmarks
>hahahaha nvidiots btfo
>t-there is no chance these benchmarks could be false

>rumored performance of amd card based on non confirmed benchmarks
>i-it's a lie guys
>t-these are inaccurate, i-i swear !

wew

You seem butthurt kid.

The videocardz "leak" was obviously an engineering sample, you stupid cuck. Real results will be completely different.

Nope. Just highlighting your damage control. Enjoy that 390x equivalent performance in polaris 10 for $350, friend.

:^)

>getting this worked up over rumors
Anyone talking shit before confirmed 3rd party benchmarks are out is a fucking retard, that includes you.

Nvidiots eternally BTFO

mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-4k-benchmarks-leaked/

>Anyone talking shit before confirmed 3rd party benchmarks are out is a fucking retard

so every single amdrone on this board? right, gotcha.

Sure, along with all of you dumbasses creaming your pants over a paper release. Fucking fanboi fags all of you.

this might be accurate

reminder the first gtx1080 leak(3dmark) had ~10% more performance at stock speed than a "heavily" OCed 980ti(1500MHz)

If it turns out to be true, that is HUGE.

People are testing the reference 1080's which have a single 8pin PCI-e power connector. Just think what will happen once OEMs start throwing more power at it with 8+6pin connectors.

>happen once OEMs start throwing more power at it with 8+6pin connectors.
just watched the vid, dark soul 3 actually has a 60 fps cap, so I'm not sure anymore

This is the build I currently am thinking of making.
Would a 1070 work well with these other parts?
pcpartpicker.com/p/MsWY6h#incompatibilities
(I plan on replacing the 390 with the 1070)

Are you people serious? That's fake.

Dont buy 390. Wait for Polaris and 1070 benchmarks.

Probably assumes you're going to be doing AAA gaming.

Yeah that's the plan, although I don't think Polaris cards are going to be competing against the 1070.
But the cpu and ram are enough with a 1070/amd equivalent right?

>mfw the 1070 will rape at sells
Really, it looks like a great buy since it can obliterate the entire GPU lineup at less than $400. I'm hoping Polaris can at least get Nano performance for $300, that'd be neat too for the lower end guys.
Also,
>1070 and 1080
>mid range
Really nigga? They're both high end, big Pascal would be enthusiast.

That sucks man. My 7850 has been nothing but awesome to me since day 1.

>I don't think Polaris cards are going to be competing against the 1070.
It will be much cheaper at least.
>But the cpu and ram are enough with a 1070/amd equivalent right?
Yeah.

Same but with 7870.

Let's wait for the benches before we start singing the 1070s praise. Literally everything is just speculation at this point.

Don't worry, I'm not a drone. I will wait until it's actually out to say anything, this is all from Nvidia's mouth. For all we know, it could be faster on very specific workloads, for what we know it can suck major ass at Vulkan and DX12.

The one thing we can guess for sure is that Nvidia will sell a fuckload of them because that $300-ish pricepoint is where it's at for moving mad volume. 1080s will be in such limited supply that I don't think they'll move the needle other than help drive demand for the 1070s which will be pushed out the door in larger numbers due to plenty of GDDR5 available.

i'm pretty sure people have found ways to remove the framecap. either way, the other results do make sense.

The way you talk it feel like you're the cute anime girl from the pic! I've read those with her voice!

>EVGA 970 SSC for $230 after MIR

Fuuuuck should I do it? Not so sure I should wait for Polaris with the fact it's a mid range card

Season 3 when?

>970 ever
Fuck no dude, especially not now.