Can someone please explain how Linux is used in the professional world? Im not asking about desktop ricers etc...

Can someone please explain how Linux is used in the professional world? Im not asking about desktop ricers etc... Im wondering what are the the reasons for using it as a developer/programmer? Asking for real world examples.

Whole OS is like an IDE.
Just try compiling something from source on Windows

NETWORK APPLIANCE

Most servers run linux or netbsd.
Windows server is a joke.
Most developers also prefer *NIX environments because they don't fight you every step of the way.

But wont most ppl be using an ide anyways? Whats the point of trying to compile without an ide. Sorry if i sound dumb, i really dont know

Can u explain this more?

If you deal with the development of an IT product, you will most likely run Linux, maybe OS X, but definitely not Windows. The first 2 are better for programming, servers and general IT-related productivity

>If you deal with the development of an IT product, you will most likely run Windows, maybe Linux, but definitely not OS X. The first 2 are better for programming, servers and general IT-related productivity
FTFY

>Most developers also prefer *NIX environments
:ˆ)

Pure delusion.

Only an idiot would try to work on a Windows machine
If you're a programmer, an actually talented programmer who isn't just copy pasting directions from stack overflow,
You're likely on *nix.
Debate me.

Didn't even need to reply to this thread, I genuinely hope this was bait. You can't automate anything in a Windows server. Plus most people in the field grew up on BSD / Nix. It's just the way to go when it comes to development.
Please, do everyone a favor and run through vim tutor while your at it. If you need to compile from an IDE, I hope you aren't employed

Why would anyone bother debating someone who overdosed on Sup Forums memes and has allowed their delusions to cloud their perception of reality?

Please go shitpost somewhere else user

As a web developer it's a little easier to host on a Linux server when you're already running Linux locally.

Also last time I tried Docker didn't work fully on Windows.

>But wont most ppl be using an ide anyways?
yes, pajeet, yes you will

we wuz servers and shiet

>But wont most ppl be using an ide anyways? Whats the point of trying to compile without an ide.

It really boils down to taste.

Some people prefer to pick and choose the tools, instead of having to settle with what happens to be bundled in an IDE.

Bump, because Sup Forums definitely needs more of these. This is a great thread and it would be nice if someone experienced would provide some examples and explanations.

Hardly even shit posting. I was a little douche - ish but my point still remains.
If you really have a job as a software engineer, then you probably got a MacBook. If you're in IT, they gave you a ThinkPad but 75% of what you do is through VM or through a server running *nix.
I'm not being arrogant here, I work in the fucking industry. Full stack for a media outlet in NY. Windows machines are generally given to project managers / ITSD folk. You won't catch a developer on Windows, it's as painful as gaming on Linux.

Sup Forums is hardly representative of anything remotely close to the real world. I mean, judging by this board culture most software devs use linux, are weeaboos, worship stallman, use vim and may be collecting cp.

Is that how most real life devs are? I guarantee you that despite the memes, most devs are actually normies. And most normies don't use linux, unless it's on servers, mostly in data centers.

>imblying normies are not in Sup Forums
>muh secret club

What kind of answers are you looking for OP? What are you comparing it to? There isn't any particular reason to use GNU/Linux as a developer, other than maybe an existing familiarity with Unix. There are however plenty of reasons NOT to use shitty OSes like Windows and OS X.

companies use linux to cut costs, since they dont have to pay for the OS and other licensing bullshit

what other options are there other than gnu/linux, windows, and osx. Arent these the ones that are available?

Im also asking to see if using linux is a skill i should pick up or not, since im in college for cs right now

Linux is a kernel, it is used on supercomputers, serves, smartphones, routers, and all sorts of embedded devices

RHEL

and only barely

maybe sometimes

>why do they use Windows server

My work has a server room in the back that contains a database of store inventory. In the front, all computers, POS, and phones access this server whenever something is sold or we get freight, or someone needs to check on availability of an item in which case it pulls info from other stores and will give us a count from other stores. The store manager and HR have Windows machines which connect to the server through a portal.

IBM's z/OS

>Im also asking to see if using linux is a skill i should pick up or not, since im in college for cs right now
No way, just stick with Windows and be a useless Visual Studio and .NET monkey your whole life

As a serious answer to your question OP, some developers prefer Linux for two reasons:
1) It's a lot slimmer, user control (if not friendliness) oriented
2) It's a lot closer to the environment they'll be running it on.

As someone who works on enterprise software, the overwhelming majority of our customers run our software on some form of Unix or Linux (AIX, SLES, RHEL, Solaris in that order). It does run on Windows but it's not the popular pick outside of Microsoft themselves."

From a desktop perspective: Microsoft AD + Exchange has Linux beat pretty hard for large organizations. No, SAMBA is not an acceptable replacement for most businesses.