Linux on a XPS 13

I'm going to buy a Dell XPS 13 2015 edition, so the Broadwell one, not Skylake. Does anyone know how well Linux runs on it? Stuff like battery life and high DPI scaling.

The Archwiki wasn't that helpful, for example it reports no problems with the Skylake version which still has shit battery life thanks to nodrivers for the Skylake chipset, at least according to reddit.

Other urls found in this thread:

liliputing.com/2016/04/hp-chromebook-13-launches-for-499-and-up-supports-up-to-16gb-of-ram.html
ubuntu.com/certification/make/Dell/
ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201508-18805/
blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/high_dpi_again
dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu/pd.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No one cares, go kill yourself.
www.giyf.com

Ok, this time an answer from someone who isn't a moron, please.

No one cares, go kill yourself

No one cares, go kill yourself

I'm sorry this isn't yet another shit thread about graphic cards or whatever you people want to argue about today, but can someone who has tried Linux on the Broadwell XPS 13 give me an idea of how it worked, especially concerning battery life?

>reddit
Stopped reading right there

>stopped reading at the last word of the post

You stopped reading on the last word?

>not reading from end to beginning

you fags probably run windows too.

Depending on which model you buy, you'll need to update the BIOS to make the function buttons work.

The wifi card sucks with Linux but you can replace it with an Intel one.

You can make the broadcom one work but you'll need to put the driver on a USB and load it since you don't have an Ethernet port.

I have one. Arch runs fine but you have to fuck with it for like 3 hours to get all the new fangled secure boot stuff to work right. I also uninstalled arch and loaded Debian on it because I was writing a report and X froze.

Overall it's a great laptop in my opinion. Very durable and very portable. I take it everywhere.

>le website wars xD
Look I get this my-niche-culture-is-better-than-yours shit is awesome when you're in highschool, but the quality of most boards, including Sup Forums, has decreased substantially in the last years. Everything is a meme, every reply is the Nth generic variation of some memephrase, there's hardly anything new. Every person we don't like is Pajeet, autist, cuck or whatever is the insult of the week.

So while reddit has its issues, mainly the "we did it, Reddit" attitude and the karmawhoring, the fact that you believe Sup Forums is somehow better tells me you're a very deluded person.

The most ironic part is, when I ask this question about the XPS 13 on Reddit I'll get 20 replies, half of them from personal experience. But yeah bro, fuck Reddit xD

Then go post it on reddit you fucking faggot.

WTF no LAN port?

>fuck Reddit
We did it, gee!

Oh and the battery life is excellent. It will last you minimum 3 or 4 days if you use it for like 3-4 hours per night.

Thanks a lot, was wifi the only issue? Also I'll be buying refurbished so no chance of replacing the wifi. Do you have a link for me to follow the whole broadcom driver thing?

>thanks to nodrivers for the Skylake chipset
until 4.6 drops in like a month at most. Rolling distros will get it first, and you can get the current dev release fairly easily.

Nope. Not a problem for me because I have a USB adapter. I also have two laptops, one for work and one for traveling and entertainment. The XPS works really well for light use and traveling. I'm a tall person so I need a small laptop if I'm going on a long flight.

>shit keyboard
fucking dropped!

Some guy on *eddit said he compiled the mainline 4.6 Linux and skylake battery was still a cancerward.

Finally, someone who talks sense.

Mostly yeah. You can replace the wifi card yourself. You can probably just Google the Intel model on the arch page and buy it third party. To be honest, I just got everything from the arch wiki page. It has the info on which driver packages to download.

>HiDPI scaling
Use either Cinnamon, Gnome 3, or Plasma 5. They are the only DEs with hidpi support.

>light use and traveling
If you need a laptop for light use MAYBE you should look into the newly released HP chromebook 14 too.

Inb4 >chromebook
but you can supposedly get around 12 hours of battery life on it. Installing crouton doesn't decrease battery life.

liliputing.com/2016/04/hp-chromebook-13-launches-for-499-and-up-supports-up-to-16gb-of-ram.html

no way it will works, is it ubuntu certified by dell? i think is only inspiron and latitude only?

As far as I know, Gnome 3 only has integer scaling, as in 100%, 200%, etc. Not exactly optimal.

>ubuntu on a laptop without Dell's permission? Impossibru.

whoops it werks supported by ubuntu, so yeah it werks with linux
ubuntu.com/certification/make/Dell/

ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201508-18805/

They did have one that was loaded with Ubuntu and had compatible hardware but I think they discontinued it. If I could go back in time I would get that one and save myself the extra steps. I like everything about the XPS except when I decide to install a new distro.

They still do it calling it Developer Edition.

I have one. The hdpi model, running Kubuntu 15.10 (which is shit). Great laptop, but I fucking hate the glossy screen.

Didn't have to update BIOS/UEFI, but I did play around a bit with the settings anyway (secure boot and that). Not sure if it was even necessary.

Broadcom wifi is shit, but it works ok when you got it up and running.

You should check out 'tlp' for easy power management tweaking. Don't really need to do much, battery life is ok depending on profile.

where? I'm only seeing relatively ok battery life comments.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

this should become pasta

>You can make the broadcom one work but you'll need to put the driver on a USB and load it since you don't have an Ethernet port.
Ubuntu has the drivers, but you will need a working internet connection, because for some fucking reason, the driver works on the Live USB, but it wont work when you install it

You're a fucking idiot. People don't like Reddit here because it is fundamentally structured to be incompatible with the philosophy of an anonymous imageboard. Reddit users refuse to acknowledge this, so they come here and treat this place like Reddit, thus dramatically lowering the quality of whatever board they touch.

Me again, no need to use scaling on the 1080p version at least

Ubuntu unity works great on mine but +1 for the networking ballache.

Piss off, Saltman.

Reddit relies on groupthink and people post comments others will like because they want to accumulate karma.

Real discussion can't happen on Reddit because any unpopular opinion will be buried with downvotes. So if the first two-three people who read your post/comment downvote it chances are it will never be seen.

Can't seem to find it so assume I'm wrong.

Nigga who died and named you spokesperson of Sup Forums?
I do agree with the lack of anonimity, but they're not striving for it. They seem to think karma points help discussion.

I agree with you entirely. The reason why asking questions there works better is because shitposting has consequences (downboat and banning), so you get better post quality density, even if it is by its own nature a worse place to have an objective discussion (since a post's votes will influence your view of it)

I read that the QHD screen was better in more ways than just resolution, so I was going for that. Fedora with KDE or something like that.

How's the scaling on KDE?

>asking questions is better on reddit
If you dont get downvoted you can actually recieve lie answers from karmawhores.

It worked, but please install Microsoft Windows 10 instead ! It's much better, it works very good, my son is very happy about it also ! Please install Microsoft Windows 10 !

apparently xrandr can handle display scaling directly, allowing stuff like i3 to work fine with a little tweaking.
just saiyan.

there's an intel model, never buy broadcom

>Nigga who died and named you spokesperson of Sup Forums?
No one, which is why I wasn't acting as a spokesman.
>I do agree with the lack of anonimity,
Then why the fuck are you here?
>They seem to think karma points help discussion.
And they have been proven wrong time and time again.

Samefag.

Kill yourserlf!

Samefag.

Kill yourself!

I have one (XPS 13 9343). Ubuntu works really well on it (audio didn't work at first but the 2 cold boot trick solved it). Tried Fedora and Arch on it but those both had issues with the audio using the HDA standard. Really great laptop.

>I had a ton of problems and errors, but otherwise it's great!

>buying an expensive windows laptop in order to put a shitty OS with no apps on it

For what purpose, dare I ask?

Its time to stop posting, family

>Reddit relies on groupthink

And you think Sup Forums doesn't? I cant tell you the number of times I've seen people ask on multiple boards, "do we like X" or "what do we think of X", or so on. It's all shit and it all tastes the same.

Not sure why you guys are having WiFi issues on Ubuntu 16.04. I used Xenial before it was stable and from kernel 4.4 the broadcum WiFi has been working. Maybe it's specific to the GNOME flavour though.

OP, do blacklist btusb kernel module. Bluetooth is buggy and a big power drain (2-3 hours less battery) on Broadcom.

poorfag detected

Good in 5.4 and later.

blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/high_dpi_again

Here you go dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu/pd.

>The XPS 13 Developer Edition combines the performance and mobility of the XPS 13 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to create a client-to-cloud solution for developers.
Disgusting.

Anyway, nice initiative, but it's not available everywhere.