I think it's time to put the High end desktop, low end laptop combo meme to an end

I think it's time to put the High end desktop, low end laptop combo meme to an end.

I am a college student who ended up falling for this and it was one of the worst mistakes I had made.

First I am going to describe my laptop and desktop, reminder that this was in 2013 when the 290x first came out.

Desktop:
AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8GHz
16Gb RAM
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 4
HIS R9-290X Reference
ATI Radeon 5770 (For mining)
Corsair CX 750M
840 Evo boot drive 120Gb
2 1Tb (random drives I had) Caviar Blues
TV Tuner (dont remember what kind)
144Hz Monitor
Corsair 600T White edition

Laptop:
Toshiba Satelitte
AMD A8 APU
840 EVO 250Gb
6GB RAM
1366x768 15" screen

These two units cost me around $1700

So on to the problems I ended up with. I lived in a dorm that was shared, and my desktop was too big to fit under the desk, so I had to put it on the side. It was extremely loud (290x reference cooler) and got extremely dusty. I was more satisfied with my laptop. It was really fast, but the screen was awful. It was also pretty thick and ugly. Every break or in between semesters I had to move that giant ass desktop around, it was hell going up and down steps with it.

Fast forward and I ended up selling both machines for tuition, a little later I bought a Lenovo Y50 with the 4k screen off Newegg for $650 refurbished, it had the following specs:
Intel Core i7 4710HQ @ 2.5GHz (3.2GHz turbo)
16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 860M (This is the Maxwell variant, so it had 4Gb of VRAM and was identical to a desktop 750Ti)
3840x2160 IPS screen
512GB Corsair BX150 (got for $100 on a sale)

I can say this laptop has been a million times more useful to me. It is thinner and can play all the games I want to at 4k.

Nice blog

I dunno, he didn't leave a link for me to subscribe

>gaming on a laptop
Wew lad. Enjoy your overheating.

Well most of your problems were caused directly by buying AMD (except the lousy laptop screen but a lot of them were lousy in 2013>

Yes and especially with the new architecture out from Nvidia and possibly what AMD will offer gaymen laptops are finally an option.

Got a gaming laptop for college.
Lenovo y50 ~$1250
Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 10.
On Ubuntu 100% of the time while I'm school for CS.
I have my desktop here and I can game sparingly on it.
When I go back home for break I take only my laptop. For example, last break I played Dragon's Dogma for about 72 hours straight when it released on high graphics 60fps. Idk why people say a gaming laptop would overheat when they're specifically designed for gaming.
Anyways gaming laptops are not a meme, people on Sup Forums just don't know about tech and like calling things a meme.

This is discussion of laptop technology and the advances that allow graphical rendering on a consumer mobile, please go back to your general

> y50
this laptop is known on Sup Forums for having one of the worst build quality ever, and you got it refurbished? LOL, enjoy it shitting itself really soon

> play games at 4k
nice blog

Look, I also prefer laptops, they're really powerful nowadays, but you got the shittiest one.

Why did you buy a reference card?

Not OP but idk about the build quality being poor. I dropped it hard several times and the most that's happened is the metal on the edge slightly bent so the screen closes only 98% of the way. There's also the problem of the shit network adapter shitting itself with Windows 10.
The keyboard is also a joke but whatever.

Despite that it can run all the games my 4 year old desktop can on high / 60fps and has a slim profile. Dropped 18hours of overwatch on it.

Windows 10 gaming desktop
Linux laptop

what more could you want familia

>Every break or in between semesters I had to move that giant ass desktop around, it was hell going up and down steps with it.
Manlet problems

Even simpler:

OS X Laptop, that's it.

>860M
>4K
Which games?

Laptops are not meant for gaming, especially high-end. 290X is not high end. There are potent solutions with dual 980s but these exist for people willing to spent 6000+ € on a 8 KG laptop. Thats not worthy when you can get more performance on a Haswell-E / 980Ti 3way system for the same money.

When I buy a laptop I want a thin device with long battery time. And not pay thousands for gimped "M" cards.

And please no Lenovo, I had the 755M SLI Ideapad it was the most horrible experience in my life. It made me switch to desktop again.

The fuck are you talking about? Unless you don't have a desk, affordable laptop + desktop is the best combo. All I do on my laptop is write essays, email, and write code when I'm not in my room. Otherwise I use the desktop. You have to be retarded to not see the benefit in this.

Oh boy here we go.exe

My laptop has never overheated while gaming. It maintains its clocks even while playing rocket league on my bed.

>falling for the y50 meme
Rofl Sup Forums are the most malicious shills.

Do you know how big and heavy a 600T is?

SLI laptops are shit.

Triple a games don't play at 4k, but light ones do. CS Go, LoL, Rocket League, Diablo III, etc.

I haven't found a game I can't play @1080P 60 with everything but ambient occulusion on.

>High end desktop
>AMD
Fucking good one, m8, subscribed and faved XD !

SLi is shit generally.

>4K screen but don't play in 4K
WHY?
Upscaling looks horrible. Also a 1080p laptop screen has the same PPI as my 28" 4K monitor.

The 860M is a decent entry card (750Ti) but it will already shutter in newer games. Also maxing LoL is nothing to be proud of, my old GT 530 could max it in 4K if it would even have a DisplayPort.

Build quality is not poor. I've been rough with it for a year and it is working flawlessly.

I've gotten free AW M17x's and this y50 is much nicer.

> (You)
>SLi is shit generally.
K screen but don't play in 4K
>WHY?
>Upscaling looks horrible. Also a 1080p laptop screen has the same PPI as my 28" 4K monitor.
>The 860M is a decent entry card (750Ti) but it will already shutter in newer games. Also maxing LoL is nothing to be proud of, my old GT 530 could max it in 4K if it would even have a DisplayPort.

No it doesn't, 4k to 1080P is a half downscale so it just doubles the area of pixels.

And I can tell a massive difference from 1080 to 4k, but the screen doesn't really matter.

1080 on 4K is like 640x480 on 1080p. This is literally retarded. You should even try, get at least something with a 980M.

> (You)
>1080 on 4K is like 640x480 on 1080p. This is literally retarded. You should even try, get at least something with a 980M.
1080/2 is 540, not 480.

muh gaymes

>amd desktop
>amd notebook

I can agree with this. I bought a brand new y50 for my dad and the mouse pad needed to be replaced twice. It would press stiff and then stopped working all together.

an ok laptop. but you are NOT playing games at 4k on that shit.

> (OP)
>>amd desktop
>>amd notebook

I used a desktop with an i5 4460 and a GTX 760 and it had the same problems.

Get an ITX system if you have to carry it often.

> (You)
>Get an ITX system if you have to carry it often.
That's a good alternative, but I still have to carry a screen then.

fuck, everyone in this thread is retarded

Buy a high end desktop for gaming and other performance heavy tasks.

Buy a business laptop for mobile shit. Thinkpads, HP EliteBooks, Dell business laptops, whatever. Those shits are durable as fuck, have good linux support for when you have to do your programming work (or if you run linux as your main OS) and have so many replacement parts online for when they break or some crazy shit happens to them (cause all laptops do, don't even say they won't).

I saw a guys laptop get drenched in soda. RIP that guy; if he had a legit thinkpad (T or X series) with the water drainage holes, he would have been OK.

i had a y50 with a 1080p screen and 860m with 16gb ram. just sold it. fuck those fucking windows 8 nvidia drivers that fail to update every time. fuck optimus support in linux. enjoy

Would you say a y50 is still a good purchase for moderate gaming like cs go in 2016 or is it too outdated now?

>8350
>290X reference
retard alert

I've been gaming on laptops for years, my shitty old hp lasted 3+ years intense gaming before crapping out. Go meme elsewhere.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that combo.

>AMD
you asked for it

>I've been gaming on laptops for years, my shitty old hp lasted 3+ years intense gaming before crapping out. Go meme elsewhere.

Just because you've been doing something for a while doesn't make it right or lend any credence whatsoever. It just makes you look like a retarded who can't see when he's doing something wrong. You might as well have said you game on a Mac.

>bot a fuckhueg case
>complains about the size
>bought a reference card
>complains about the noise

I don't see what's wrong with using something that's functional, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
pic related is what I've had for the past 7 years, ran games like DS2 and Dragon's Dogma like a champ no problems

I have a mini-ATX desktop at college with an i5-4460, a GTX 960, and a handle for easy transport. Coupled with a 1080p TV I use for a monitor and a TV, it's easily the best solution.

>860m
>can play all the games I want at 4k.
gr8 b8 senpai

cs:go 4 life

also nice giantess slut

Well, with your former setup you didn't have to pay for heating...

>I made some seriously bad decisions when building my desktop
>Therefore gaming laptops are they way to go
Are you a creationist too?

You're a dumbass.

It's not a meme, you just fucking did it wrong.

look fag, i'm a poorfag and i'm doing better than you
>FX-4100 ^ HD-7870 Desktop
>asus x302l Laptop, cheap, portable and doesn't overheat
And i haven't had a single problem, and everything is comfy.

>I don't see what's wrong with using something that's functional,

There's your problem. There's nothing wrong with jerking off but don't call it sex. You're a generation behind at best. All for no reason. Games on laptops work fine on cutting edge desktops, you've just picked an inferior platform.

I'm really a fan of the whole "standalone GPU through thuinderbolt" thing. Pity only razer has anything in that market right now, and at $500 to boot.
At the very least, it'll be buying criteria for my replacement for my x220.

Nvidia fag alert.

Thanks but I'll pass.

Have HP Z workstation for gaming and Toughbook for getting shit done and it's ideal combo for me.

I was about to make the same mistake as you OP, but finally I got a gigabyte p34g v2 and put a 2tb hdd and a 500gb ssd, and now I have all my computing in a very small and thin package I can move around. 14inch 1080p screen, 2cm thin and 1,67kg.
Yes the battery is pretty shit 4,5 hours at best. but I never use it outisde anyway.