Opinions on adaway?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's an automated /etc/host updater.

What's there to opinionate on?

Best Android adblocker yet.

Any experiences with it, good/bad
Cool, I've tried lots of ad blockers but none are really reliable so far, guess i'll try adaway

get minminguard

Never heard about it before, the fact that it removes the ad + the space it uses seems nice though

Pretty bad, it misses a lot of ads while slowing the phone down (yes, large hosts files DO make devices slower)
Still the best blocker there is on mobile.

Rock steady

I just use uBlock Origin on Firefox.

I don't need an adblocker for the rest, because I don't use shitty apps that ship them.

In short, it's the ad-block plus that needs SU premissions. The reality is, both adaway and ad-block plus on Android operating as stand-alones just doesn't work, I've used both on 3 devices now with 0% luck. The developers should re-think the way that the software works, especially when dealing with those intrusive in-app advertisements that cannot be skipped.

Sounds like you need to re-think your choice of apps if you're using ones with intrusive unskippable ads.

How does adaway not work?

I wasn't refering to me specifically, more of the general Android user who isn't as educated on the OS compared to the average Sup Forums user who prefers Android

Read the post again...

It doesn't explain how you nignog. Did it fail in the sense that adaway threw an error message?

No need to get edgy.

What I meant in the post was that, for me, the app fails to do it's advertised operation, in this case just out right refusing to block any form of advertising. No errors or anything in the like.

Did you try changing your target hosts file? I never had a problem with adaway.

>No need to get edgy.
Is this your first fucking day on Sup Forums?

I have tried changing my target host files and updating them frequently, but to no avail. I just decided to suck it up and deal with ads.

>Is thia your first day on Sup Forums?
No. I just cannot stand people who sound like pre-teens, grow up and call me a cunt if you feel the need to curse at me :)

Is there a way to have it block YouTube annotations? Don't want a second blocker just for that.

Not that I'm peraonally aware of, other than turning off the annotations every time you view a video, but that is pretty annoying...

>it's still root only

shit it's been like 3 years since i last used it because i bought this asus memephone and dont want to bother with rooting

>minminguard

This is unstable. It crashed my phone too often.

I wish it didn't need root.

Am I on XDA? :)

Nope, you're on XDA's incestuous degenerate cousin site.

youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

It's not super easy to manipulate the user defined white and black lists and it needs root and a reboot to apply settings, but it works for any connection and doesn't (necessarily) consume battery to run a local webserver like some other apps.

All in all, its currently the best option for broad adblocking on android, but needs supplementation with some xposed modules to achieve complete adblocking in some apps.

I use Adguard instead since I don't want to root until phone warranty is up

pretty sure unrooting phones is as simple as rooting them in the first place, no?

Decent app, didn't crash my phone on 5.1 like the other user is saying. I also used adaway btw.

what lagphone you have that is being slowed by a hosts file?
best option actually -- but in any case there is Lucky Patcher
true but you still can fuck things up

>intrusive unskippable ads
>implying there is such a thing as un-intrusive ads

>What is the YouTube app

Literally does nothing to stop the cancerious ads