What is it like to work in IT?

I just got a confirmed placement for volunteering in an IT office for a week. I'll be covering the help desk, repairs, sysadmin, systems development & maintenance, remote assistance etc. What can I expect to experience from all this?

TL;DR - Working in IT for a week, what's it like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE
youtube.com/watch?v=1SNxaJlicEU
youtube.com/watch?v=1XjKnxOcaO0
youtube.com/watch?v=v0mwT3DkG4w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

People calling you about an error message and replying "dunno i closed it" when you ask what the error is.
You'll want to kill yourself after 3 days.

You'll learn very quickly that people are fucking morons and will blame everything on you, even problems you were not made aware of. Everybody is a special snowflake and everybody has high priority tickets, whether they just can't turn their computer on or switch to a projector.

They call it helldesk for a reason.

>My internet dont work
>Have you tried turning it off and on?

prepare to do help desk 99% of the time

>volunteering in an IT office for a week
it's fucking nothing.png

Pretty much this.
youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE
youtube.com/watch?v=1SNxaJlicEU
youtube.com/watch?v=1XjKnxOcaO0
youtube.com/watch?v=v0mwT3DkG4w

Marge in sales who rarely uses her office computer will absolutely positively need a new computer two days ago, even though it's not in the budget and clearly Bob in Marketing would make better use of it since he does a lot of work to bring in advertising money and Marge hasn't sold shit in the last 3 months.

Upper management will almost always give you the shit end of the stick. Budget? Haha! Here's two sticks and a piece of gum. And then when things inevitably break because they didn't listen to your recommendations as the expert they hired and pay you for, they cast all the blame on you.

Belongs in a YLYL thread. It's that good.

This so much

This this especially. I just know when they ask for my name. It's so they have someone to blame, ie me. Women are about 10x worse.

First post, best post.

The problem is most people need to start at this position. Especially now a days when companies require 3 fucking years experience for an entry level job.

Well, i get paid 60k a year to do about 5 hours of work a week. As long as you stay on top of your work, its fine.

>come in on Monday morning
>53 tickets in queue
>Some software pushed out an update that broke a bunch of shit
>TFW you get to spend all day fixing it and getting yelled at

Don't help anyone right away or they'll get used to it

Welcome to Hell.

Thats if youre in help desk.

You will be able to speak fluent Hindi after that week is over.

Yeah, and even if you have no way to change something they will still tell you that it worked before why does it not work now... fuck me and all this fucking overtime which i don't even get paid.

I've been working in a helpdesk style environment for the past three months and it's an alright job. You'll get dipshits asking about their wifi not working while it's turned off, and how to change the color of Outlook. Pretty laid back since I'm here typing this. Imaging computers for new hires and deploying them afterwards isn't too bad either. It's not a bad job at all especially since I'm being paid $20.50/hr and I'm 20 years old with no formal education besides high school. Not very challenging, but it's whatever.

IT is truly worthwhile when the company is truly involved in IT

If it's in a small / medium size business, regular folks, etc., it can be bretty chill. At least that's how the IT dudes at my previous jobs seemed. YMMV.

Just took a call where an idiot "executive" wanted to know how to collapse groups in outlook by default. Took me a whole 30 seconds to find out. Executives always need handholding.

Been doing IT Support for five years, only today got a new job outside of it.

As memey as it sounds, a lot of what tv shows cover about it is true. Anything that requires power is your domain, unless you actually say "no fuck off".

Basically.

If you're working at a company where the product is not software, expect the following
1. pajeets everywhere, i can know speak broken hindi
2. procedurally written, non commented, broken spaghetti java code
3. asking to refactor code gets you a long lecture about how that does not benefit the business
4. asking to use good programming practices to avoid the need for refactoring gets you a lecture about how business is urgent priority, code is irrelevant, "just make it work, fast"
5. women are everywhere, walking around, being fucking useless. if the position is useless (e.g. scrum master, technical analyst, UX Look and Feel Designer), expect them to make stupid comments like "can we just refactor the UX scripts for maximum investor minded performance?"

Do yourself a favor and FUCKING CODE. GO. GET OFF Sup Forums FAGGOT, AND GO LEARN REAL CODE AND GET A REAL JOB.

Nice. I'll add that code should be mandatory and taught as early as high school with the same importance of a second language.

The world belongs to those who code, you're totally right. Reminds me of this good set of articles:

www.bloomberg.com/news/special-reports/what-is-code

No you insufferable ass. No, NO.

DO THEY TEACH PLUMBING IN SCHOOL? NO!

You don't have to start learning to code at age fucking 10 but once you're in college you better hit it hard.

>working helpdesk
>call from middle aged woman based in London
>no internet, no network connections available either
>laptop model has button to disable wifi, is orange when disabled and white when enabled
>ask her quite clearly what colour the button is
>"white"
>"you sure it's the wifi button that's white?"
>"yes definitely"
>go on to try all kinds of other shit for 30-40 minutes, losing all hope of a fix
>"yknow theres a button here next to the white one that's orange"
>"what's it look like?"
>"like a transmitter"
>grit my fucking teeth so hard you could hear them grinding from alpha centauri
>"press that one"
>..slight pause
>"HEY it's just connected. Looks like I've done the job for you, ha ha"

I hate phone support. Email helpdesk is the lyf.

While a piss poor analogy, coding shouldn't be taught with such intensity. The option to do so should definitely be there for those that are willing, but not everyone is suited for it. If nothing else, good and affordable vocational schools should be the next stop for most high school grads. At least they would learn some skill/trade and more intensive study is what University is for.

Anyone else having windows update problems with windows 7? Its been checking for updates for the past 7 hours now...

You get an "IT job" but it's actually a help desk job.

Only indians who don't really speak your language have credentials to manage the servers that are exactly next to you.

You end up working with various Excel files and installing SAP to some tech illiterates.

You get home feeling depressed every day and you blame Microsoft for your shitty job.

Sap makes me feel sad inside

>he's doing it for free

"pfft, I could of done that. Heck I think I can do your job!"

t.every baby boomer you're gunna work for.

>Typical executive is like a spoiled child that argues about everything they don't understand.
Cringe every time I see tickets come from them.

Story of my life

horseshit. I did IT at a software company and it's the worst.

every fucking code monkey thinks he knows how you should be doing your job, it's fucking annoying as hell.

>GO LEARN REAL CODE AND GET A REAL JOB

kek, yeah, totally waste your time trying to get into an already over-saturated market where you will constantly be undercut and underbid.

any more sage advice, friend-o?

I work in Enterprise IT. Life is great, upper heads handle the negotiation, support handles issues after development (we dev still does the fix, we just don't have to deal with people), test group does the testing, all possible scenarios are covered by their tests as per customer's review.
This again is in an enterprise setting. Anything else is dog shit.

It's the computer equivalent of flipping burgers for McDonalds.

That's tier 1 data center techs, 18/hr to flip $7000 server burgers

>this

and generally people doing stuff before they should like
>hey user i got this popup with two options, what should i do?
>what does it say?
>oh i already clicked option 2
REEEEEEEE

>tfw leaving helpdesk for a better job

>over-saturated market

Which programming job market is glut?

>tfw user literally can't spell their own name and they're getting paid 3x more than you

>tfw user doesn't know how to spell password
>tfw user locks themselves out before they get logged in for the first time

Programming is over-saturated, but so is IT help desk shit.

Are we talking about fucking in-demand trade jobs here? Because the original topic was help desk.

The poster
actually spoke some decent truths. You WILL work with Indians, code is the last priority, etc.

But if you're a GREAT coder, you can work for an actual software company, and not say, a bank that happens to use IT.

So you're shitting on someone who was giving decent advice, FRIENDO.

>hurr the internet stopped working fix it its your fault!

every time

Yeah. Tell them do do the fucking obvious, fixes it: "When do I get my job in IT XDDDD" or "I'll be getting a share of your salary XDDD". Brain dead peons.

>cant read sarcasm
autism

>What can I expect to experience from all this?

A bunch of bullshit. People calling you because their wireless mouse is dead even though they just put in brand new batteries. You walk to their desk and find they've put the batteries in backwards.

Shit like that. Get ready for it user.

>3 days
oh please where the fuck do you work where its that easy?
when i got there i was happy that i did last a day

Depends in the company. I am IT for a small software dev company and I love my job and bosses. If it is a large company filled with retards, you are going to have a bad time. I am at work right now, browsing Sup Forums

>j-just pretending haha!

hello ,, sir plz do the needful & giv me new wiFi .. tnx sir ....

It's not bad. Money is OK. Would be nice if there were more women.

Why does this stupid bitch think that changing her login name is going to impact anything? It isn't a social network ffs. I really want to believe this shit is staged.

This is actually pretty great
saved!

I'm working for a small company which supports smal business companies and a few medium business companies.

Here's what I usally do:
>Patching
>Maintenance
>Upgrading
>Implementing new IT infrastructures
>1st,2nd,3rd level Support
>Working on IT-Security projects lately
>>right now I'm blueprinting an high availablity next-gen firewall cluster including proxies, IPS, DPI, Content blocking, Application blocking etc.

I like my job.