/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

watchfinder.co.uk/search/?q=omega speedmaster
youtube.com/watch?v=t0gkzLHONXk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1st for no autis- Oops.. too late. Nineshit made the thread again.

First for vintage glory

just woke up to find thread like 25 over and on like page 7. Feel free to make the thread when we're so over bump limit, you whiny newfag.

2rd for vintage meme.

rate my new Seiko?

3rd for properly photografied modern Overseas.

Nicely meme'd my friend.

>Feel free to make the thread when we're so over bump limit, you whiny newfag.
NO. That's why you are here for,m8.

Is that all black, or was the light extremely yellow and shitty?

i'm not too big on dive watches but oris sixty-five looks really cool, especially because of the domed crystal. are there others like it for the price range?

both, here's hoping the IP coating holds up decent

It won't unfortunately.

Longines Legend Diver maybe?

Do you happen to know which watch was x-ray'd in your OP pic, Nineballs?
Also, waywtm8?

You'll hardly find the quality offered by Oris in this price range from another brand; they are truly affordable-great pieces.

The new design team is doing some preatty good work btw.

There is also a bronze cased one that I like more and more.

Only option I can think of is the Legend Diver from Longines.

That was my thought. Take extremely good care of it, or accept the looks of a wore watch really soon.

Get out of my head dude.

I may as well join the vintage party

>Vintage meme

But that's not a Lord Matic

42mm is a little big and especially those lugs are way too fucking long, but apart from those it would be a great piece

Oh, but i have one of these as well.

Though i'm thinking of buying another JDM Seiko on a budget.

Trying to think if i want to get a Sportsmatic (pre-5 icon), Seikomatic (regular or the weekdater, 62XX cals) or just get a beater Advan/Actus with a 6106 cal cheaply.

The 6106 is good in my books. Mine previously belonged to my grandfather, keeps great time with very little drift. Hacks too. These are miles ahead of the modern 7S26.

Something about the design of the Seikomatic weekdaters just kind of does it for me. It would definitely be my next vintage purchase if I was trying to track down a much newer but just a cool, at least in my mind, 4s15 Alpinist.

I know they are good robust movements, and i could probably get a couple NOS ones for 60$ a piece.

There was a 4S15 Alpinist for sale on WUS lately, donnou if it's still there.

Well, there is a nice Weekdater and regular Seikomatic up for grabs. I'll just have to wait a couple of days to snipe them.

Seiko SNZH57?

So we have a Seiko 44xx, a 510x, some 52xxs and a 5740 in these threads. Not bad.

Also, I'd go for a 6218 if you want a Seikomatic, great movement.

Where are you finding NOS ones for that price?

Makes me feel like a bit of an idiot for spending over $200 to get a service and a new crystal, but you know, "grandfather's watch" and all. Had to do it for the sentimental value.

And a 61xx too, apparently.

I really want a white dialed 4s15 Alpinist, I'd also eventually like to find a 4s15 donor movement to put in my SDGM003.

Graduate nerd looking for a watch under $1750 here (from the last thread).

Looked around and about at the Speedmaster Reduced, which looks pretty good. However, as I had recalled, people talk about how the service costs are over $500 and cause trouble because of the module.

That wouldn't be such a bad price to pay after a few years, but buying pre-owned means you get no guarantee at all that the watch is gonna work properly for a long time. Could end up being a major pain in the ass and a really expensive watch choice. I might just be better off buying something new.

The linen dial on the 5740 is great and all, but holy fuck, that dial is like sex on your wrist. If you ever get tired of it I will gladly drive to Toronto and take it off your hands. Also

>33 jewels

What's the beat rate of these things? 21600 or 28800? And what does the 6218 offer?

By the way, my fellow fat Canadian, by any chance are the first 3 letters of your name the same as the first 3 letters of "Lord Matic"?

Thats a terrible price point for a nice watch. Nice things are 2300-3000 for used disgusting goods handled by someone with cum, pubes, piss and shit in their hands.

Isn't the Speedmaster Reduced just a Valjoux 7750? Any fucking idiot can service one of those for $300 or less.

The co-axial shit is the one with the outrageously high servicing costs.

Aye. But I don't necessarily need to pay the high end of my budget for a watch. The strongest competitor for a new watch is probably Sinn 556, which I like a lot.

Also Nomos, but it's not quite there in terms of design for me.

A little bit of variety won't hurt. I like the look of the Weekdaters. (pic is random)

And the vintage JDM aspect of these threads is picking up since we got another 52xx namefag as well.

German seller, i could probably bring him down to 60~75ish region if i really want.

Nearly NOS condition besides not having a bracelet&box.

Not really, ETA 2894-2 movement. Which is specifically said not be a derivative of the 7734/7750 line.

It's an ETA 2890 with a chronograph module on top. You can also see it when you look at how the pushers are aligned on the Reduced compared to Pro.

>Finding a 4S15

Good luck with that sucker, all the Seikofags hoard those religiously and only ever sell them for the equivalent of a brand new SARB017. Because apparently 8 bps is something super special and certainly not a trait you'd find in a $150 King Seiko. Or a $50 Elnix.

Let's get the thread back up with some slav guts.

Fuck me, is that real?

You mean stolen swiss guts.

True.

But i think it was a licensed copy.

>commies
>licensing anything
Pick one.

To be fair, they did buy they license and tooling for the Valjoux 7734.

But i guess they did copy the AS1475, as they did with that superfortress.

Think about this:

That person probably votes.

Fuck me that speedmaster is like $4k used here :(

It seems to me than lots of people have a misconception regarding Omega's services.

Service costs depend a lot of what kind of service do you need for the watch. If all you need us cleaning and lubricating the cost is way lower than that. Plus, for this kind of works you can opt to have the watch serviced by a reputable watchmaker instead of an Omega AD, which will push down costs even further.

>Speedy Reduced
>preowned
>4k
Where the fuck do you live???

Ok, maybe more like $3.5k

UK.

watchfinder.co.uk/search/?q=omega speedmaster

But that's one of the issues of the 2984. The chronograph module is very tricky to service.

The base movement isn't an issue though.

>deleting your post because you forgot to namefag

I have $120 I wanna spend towards a smart watch. I'm thinking of getting a refurbished moto 360. Does anyone know of anything better I can spend it towards ?

Buy an actual watch instead of a gimmick.

Wait shit just realised these are moonwatches and not the reduced/automatics, no wonder the price is so different. Shit, I like the spacing of the chronographs more on the professionals.

A smart watch seems more useful than an actual watch.

The 6218 is basically similar to the 6245/6246 in the 62GS. 18,000 bph, and has a very good reputation amongst vintage Seiko collectors.

And yes, they are. Should I blame Shane for that?

I can find a better price than that in London's antiques market. Can't remember the name, though but is close to the toystore standing over a tube station; I wanna say Regent's Park??

The main function is to tell the time, which a smartwatch can only do for two days while worn.

The rest of the features, while neat, limit that time even further. A lot of the functions aren't really that usable on a small screen so they are considered a gimmick. Notifications are the only other real advantage, but the only smartwatch that does both that and has decent battery time is the pebble.

It's because the 4s15 is basically just a newer production run of the 52xx caliber, it's basically equivalent to an Omega 56x/75x but with the much lesser wear and tear of being only 20 years old instead of 40.

Pretty much any 52xx or 4s15 in good condition can be adjusted to run well within +/-2s/d.

Most, in good condition, would pass COSC certification with ease.

The only toy store I can think of near Regents would be Hamleys, unless you mean a smaller one in which case I wouldn't be aware.

Great watch!

rate?

Well then, still missing quite a few to fill in the 70's and late 60's models but were getting there.

5146 Presmatic's ,7015/7016/7017 chronographs, 66XX,76XX Sportsmatics to name a few.

So who's getting the next meme?

>But that's one of the issues of the 2984. The chronograph module is very tricky to service.
According to whom? From what I can see, must people here doesn't have first hand experiences, they solely say what others have written. I can think of at least three independant watchmakers near my house that will service the Speedy Reduced with any issue, with the obvious exception of getting new parts.
I say buy from a reputable second hand dealer and your problems will be minimum or not exist at all.

I delete it because I accidently erased part of my comment too. But yeah, I'm a retard.

That makes more sense.

>Hamleys
That's it!! There is an antique market close to it. Search there.

>right twice a day
Still keeps bettee time than any mechanical watch.

*without any issue

>So who's getting the next meme?
Since I'm no longer a NEET I might just save up for a New Turtle. Black or Pepsi. Hope they eventually remake the 6105 or 6217, those are around €1000 and €2000 by now.

>2016
>not wearing an Invicta as a dress watch

Butthurt X 10000

>$220

We'll occasionally run one in the morning, but that's only if there's no South Korean horses running. Kranji is popular.

In the winter race season it's more common to see some Aussie racing, but that'll only tend to be in the shops that open earlier. Usually by 9am they've all finished.

One could argue that competent watchmakers are getting harder to come by, but the point is that ETA only either supplies the complete chronograph module or offers to service an existing one and does not sell any replacement parts for said module.

Vintage JDM pieces boy.

But the new turtle is getting pretty cheap now. Just shy of the 250$ mark in some places.

Mah nigga.

Rate, me in the middle.

>4 children and the mexican paedophile

Let me guess: Reddit.

>antique market

Sounds good, I'll have a shop around next time I'm in central, thanks for the tip!

youtube.com/watch?v=t0gkzLHONXk

best watch video

>Tangomat
>Metro Datum

Oh shiiiit I need these. I neeeed theeeese.

>only either supplies the complete chronograph module or offers to service an existing one and does not sell any replacement parts for said module.

That's why I specified that it depends on the kind of service needed.

For example. Two years ago, when I was in Mexico, one of the pushers of my Speedy Pro Moonphase protruded hard and, even though there is an Omega Service Center in Mexico's City, they gave me an estimated of three to five weeks at least, but sadly I wasn't going to stay for that long in Sombrero's Country that time, so I went to an old friend of mine, a watchmaker trained in Switzerland called Rudolph Pluer -google it- and he fix it in an afternoon.

In the other hand, when I came back from India last year, the watch was in desperate need of a full service, so I left it at Omega's in NY where thay changed all the gaskets, replaced crown, pushers and a few springs and, charged me -raped me- accordingly.

Two different needs, two different services, two different prices.

You're welcome m8. If you do decide to buy something, remember: 1. Buy the seller, not the watch. 2. Deals to good to be true arno really good. 3. Ask for references/ do your homework before any money chages hands and 4. Don't let them pressure you into buy anything
YOU are making they a business, not the other way around.

And post pics.

2/10 and being generous

He's throwing them onto a pillow r-right?

So that brings up what I said earlier, the base movement is a simple ETA2890 which isn't hard to get serviced. But competent and cheap watchmakers aren't that easy to come by.

Only the chronograph module is troublesome.

Are you Swiss?

>competent and cheap watchmakers aren't that easy to come by
Well, that's true. One should make his best effort to find one in his town and develop a relationship with him.

>Only the chronograph module is troublesome.

By the numbers of Speedy Reduced I have crossed, working properly, in the second hand market, I still find this hard to believe.

Je ne suis pas suisse, M8.

Thanks for the tips. What do you mean by references though? And anything I should look out for to avoid fakes, apart for misspelled words/names?

Some reputated dealers will have a steady clientage that will back them up. Don't be afraid to ask for it, even if you don't actually called them this will help you identify the best dealers.

Also, be sure to ask for a receipt and keep it. If you become a fraud victim, it'll be easier to proof his illegal intentions with paper trail.

You've been super helpful, thanks!

I'm glad m8. Too bad this isn't one of the NSFW forums so you could thank me with luscious gigantic tits.

Cheers.

I want to get SBDC029, the best price seems to be directly from JP, how to aviod the import / duty tax in EU ? Halp.

They spelled tachometer wrong ?

tachometers don't measure the same thing as a tachymeter

Just so you know, your friends might be gay

>implying he doesn't already know
>implying he doesn't participate in the gay orgys himself

Thoughts on my Seiko kinetic? I'm coming from a Fossil Speedway that was gifted to me years ago and have been wearing since.

Yes but meter is spelled metre, as in the distance not the tool that measures it.

They're shit. Solar is definitely the superior technology in almost every way.

>titanium

>Not knowing french
facepalm.jpg

pretty sexy, I like it, much better than the Fossil IMO

Does anyone know about this brand? Old watch i found at home and can't find anything on it.

I need a solar chronograph in my life.

After a little Google searching it's the name the Eska watch company used when exporting their watches to America. Eska was one of the small Swiss companies using ETA movements that died out during the quartz crisis.

Not enough digital watches. Is this Sup Forums or /fa/?

get out.