Is any psu over 600w necessary for anything? Or is it just overkill?

Is any psu over 600w necessary for anything? Or is it just overkill?

Well yes, if you have a multi-GPU setup. No single GPU, single CPU system needs more than a quality 500W PSU.

Yeah I was thinking about grabbing the 1070 when it comes out and picking up an I7 and was pretty sure my 700w would be fine. Thanks user

It is if you have AMD anything.

I upgraded from my 620W Bronze Seasonic to a 1000W Super Flower Platinum for GTX 780 SLI, and now I'll be going back to a single card with the 1070 which will drop power consumption by like 350W. I only paid like 70€ for the PSU upgrade though, so eh.

Multi GPU with heavy overclocking tends to need a stronger power supply.

Back in 2008 I went full retard and bought a Corsair 650TX for a 9800GTX+

I'm still using that same PSU after 3 CPU and GPU changes.

Quality PSUs last forever.

You can get by on any single GPU with basically any CPU with a quality 500-600w PSU.

Multi-GPU, multi-socket CPU, or other crazyness however cloud certainly require more.

Forgot to mention those people who have like 12+ HDDs for multiple RAID arrays.

12x 7200 RPM HDDs would be 144W on the 12V rail alone. Probably 30W on the 5V rail.

That's plain wrong

As far as I know, the 5V Rail usually handles the HDDs.
Had the 5V Rail failing on my old Seasonic unit, my HDD and SSD would just randomly go inactive with everything else still going.

in 3years you 1kw turns into a 500w psu

yeah, i have 2 firepro w9100's, they can take up to 300w each

hence my 1200w power supply for those, plus two processors and a shitload of hard drives along with other crap

non-game or shitposting machines need more power

hell, ever seen the power supply on a large CNC machine? theres a reason theyre the size of large vans, you wouldnt think it would take much to power a dozen small motors and pumps, but even the controller needs a 700w psu, along with the 14kw psu for the actual machine

>buys 1000w PSU, dies playing Warface@1440/144 with 2x390x
>buy 1300w EVGA, no problem ever again

Just means it was a shit unit, 390x's can be run on an 800w PSU.

Running two BIOS modded GTX 970s.
When I up them past 130% TDP the whole system goes over what my 850 watt can supply.

Servers, for one. Multi gpu gaming desktops are another along with a render box (also multi gpu). Basically, just because it doesn't suit your (and general public) needs, doesn't mean there aren't quite a few cases where 1000w PSUs are necessary. Certain types of supercomputers would draw lots of power even when cooled using unconventional methods.

I giess EVGA's QC is slipping, or just an unlucky soul.

Could've just been a failed 12v rail or something, probably could have just RMA'd it.

At the 13-14 month period?

...most PSUs have 5-10 year warranties. 3 year warranties are considered below average.

Can we at least all agree that the Corsair CX series is crap?

>Corsair CX series is crap
Meh they aren't that bad, JonnyGuru rates them between 7 and 9 out of 10 depending on the specific model.

They're alright but I'm concerned that people seem to keep using them in high end rigs.

I've owned a few and I've had quite a few issues, though admittedly was using them in systems I probably shouldn't've.

I run two 7970s, a 3770k, and 4 HDDS on 750W without breaking too much of a sweat.

>tfw 750w
>but AMD card so still not enough juice for CF

>corsair
>quality
WELL MEMED

then again it was 2008 so maybe they weren't shit then

Only if you're going to run CF/SLI, otherwise there's no reason to have more than that in a desktop for home use.

>the whole system goes over what my 850 watt can supply.
What the hell else do you have in there? I have 2 290Xs and under load my system pulls 700-800W (actually measured, not pulled out of my ass).

>overkill?
no such thing my boy. there is always room to grow.

It's good to have wiggle room. You don't want to replace a PSU frequently, that should be the one part that lasts the longest in your build.

Also, PSUs operate more efficiently when they are a certain percentage below max load, so you actually do want that buffer for power savings, and for longevity. I think 750w for single GPU is the sweet spot between efficiency/scaling buffer and full retard excess watts.

I got a 750W but that's because it's modular and I may want to built something better in the future with more than one GPU.

>using anything that isn't seasonic or superflower OEM
Asking for house fires