Distro Advice

What would be the best distro for a normie like me?

All im going to use Linux for is browse the ebin internet, shitpost on Sup Forums, watch YouTube Videos .. communicate with friends on Steam/Skype.

I am aware that Skype for Linux is utter garbage cause of the microsoft jew.

How can i install it in a dual boot type of meme so i can switch back to the botnet whenever i need to.

Thanks Sup Forums

t. Normie

Other urls found in this thread:

jitsi.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1. install windows
2. shrink windows partion by some 100GB
3. install linux, it will allow you to install side by side

go for xubuntu

Arch senpai

Antergos if you are lucky

>All im going to use Linux for is browse the ebin internet, shitpost on Sup Forums, watch YouTube Videos .. communicate with friends on Steam/Skype.
Cinnamon Mint on a usb stick to try it out.

Antergos

Also, normies do not use linux.

i only have 2 SSD's

1 x 120 GB and 1 x 250 GB

I fell for the SSD meme

im not autistic enough nor do i care about customization .. its a pointless waste of time. Im in my late 20s

what does lucky mean

good suggestion i guess ... I can just test a few on a USB Stick

so install windows on 250GB and xubuntu on 120GB

the end

Antergos is a fine distro bringing Arch preconfigured to new commers. But the installer is glitchy. Architect installer is the sane middle ground but normies fear text mode UI

You put linux on an ssd and you'll boot to desktop in 1-2 seconds if you remove the user login. Your fucking monitor would take longer to show a display if you turned it on at the same time you boot up from the cold.

its like that already even with win7/win8

its more like 10 seconds tho

>communicate with friends on Steam/Skype.

try jitsi

jitsi.org

it's open source and is based on WebRTC

yeah im aware there are alternative but i cant force everyone to cater to my needs like an autist

yeah looks good just watched some video

it's even less than that with linux

My Arch setup boots from SSD within 3 seconds (Cinnamon+sddm on a shit laptop)

antergos is rather bare
its based on arch on which you will ideally end if you stick to linux
antergos is just arch with some shit preinstalled

not really recommending, if going for noobie arch then Manjaro would be better
they actually put effort in to making the installation feel whole and nice

jesus

do i just use ARCH

What the fuck ...

like mentioned in the thread, make a live usb to try them all out, pick the one that feels comfortable to use

alright i test some out

do i jsut slam the iso on it with rufus or what

>do i just use ARCH
as your first distro?
unwise move unless you actually want to go in to immersion mode and being relatively advanced in linux in short time.. and got lots of time for reading

its not really hard to get it going, rather trivial really, but there would be just avalanche of new info on every step of the way

and faggots should stop recommending the live usb bullshit
its slow, incredibly slow, and what exactly faggot that recommends it think will happen after 10 minute on live usb? user goes back to windows and got some taste of some DE

fucking whats the point?

>its slow, incredibly slow,
Trying it out on a dvd is even slower and noisier
but it's what convinced me to give cinnamon mint a shot after the shit microsoft pulled back in end of july last year

shut the hell up

i legit wanna get rid of windows

im not that much of a normie as i suggested im just new to Windows

Since i stopped playing the vidya jew and i basically just use my PC for work, shitposting, YT and some IM stuff with friends there is no need for the windows jew anymore

I just wanna get rid of this bad bad bad feeling it gives me.

I'll never upgrade to Windows 10 but i just read windows is jewing people into an upgrade without their permission

Enough is enough

*new to Linux

OP I recommend you learn how to do these with bash before thinking of manually installing Arch
-how to use a terminal based partition manager, preferably parted
-how to use nano
-how to append lines to a file using echo or cat
-how to move, copy and rename using cp and mv command

That's why I suggest using Architect or manjaro.

Even better start your journey with Mint+Cinnamon like me. After 7 years I find myself completely settled with Arch. Other distros are fine too, but I am more comfy with this distro

but theres no point to it
if guy already wants to go linux then what exactly is the point of live usb other than choosing DE and he better make like KDE, gnome and xfce to at least get some idea

and its nothing that youtube video would not show him

he or you could just easily fuckign make 50GB free partition and actually start using linux instead of a pointless step of live boot

>shut the hell up
about what you aspie?

Bob should be grouped with Slackware.

>Mint+Cinnamon
what is it about cinnamon mint that makes it so easy to start out on?

looks like Windows

Apple fags probably have an easier time with Gnome

kaaaaaaliiiii

It's easy to use. Cinnamon is much like the windows environment, Xfce and MATE comes close but Cinnamon has nice window effects and looks great ootb. They have more customization but Cinnamon feels so familiar to windows vista/7

Mint Cinnamon is now a days probably more popular than Ubuntu Unity.

Get a distro with good support, both official and community-wise. That means the *buntus. Other distros have little/obscure support. And by obscure I mean assholes.

>You have a fast, decent PC? (2011+, at least 6GiB of RAM, etc)
Get Kubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME. You can also install Cinnamon on the latest one, the best DE in my opinion. Too bad LinuxMint is shit because of it's slow updates.

>Your PC is shit/you want a light system?
Get Xubuntu/Ubuntu MATE.

>You want to still use Windows?
Install Virtualbox or QEMU, and run a Win7 VM there. Way more comfortable than dual booting, because you can literally have both systems running at the same time and there's no need for rebooting, partitioning, etc

>b-but VM's are not as fast as installing the OS directly!
You really can't tell the difference unless you play heavy vidya.

>b-but I can install Cinnamon on any distro, right?
Yes, but it's based on GNOME3 so if you don't want to run into shit it's best to install it on top of Obanto GNOME.

Best idea really is to play with many distros and then choose. You'll soon realize they're all the same, only real difference is the origin of it's updates and how often it happens, the package manager (so you need to learn different ways to update stuff) and sometimes the kernel. DEs will behave the same way no matter the distro.

I use Debian, mainly because I got used to it's package manager (apt, the same the *buntus use). You could use it but it's not friendly when it comes to non-libre stuff, so you need a bit of googling for it.

so uh

i am trying out Antergos now

When i unplug the USB Stick it still boots into it

what the fuck did i do

Anyway

I also have this fucking ANNOYING SOUND

Some high pitched shit

I googled it. Lots of people have/had this issue.

Is it my GPU?

>When i unplug the USB Stick it still boots into it
go into BIOS and set boot order back into ssd you're running windows from
do you have a fan that has passive cooling enabled
when the fan is not moving sometimes a high pitched noise comes out

yeah my GPU is passive cooled under 60°C

MSI GTX 970

I got that noise from my cpu cooler only when it completely stopped during some fan speed tweaking I was doing.

Whatever... Im way too tired for this. Gonna take care of it properly tmrw

Thanks so far vir/g/ins