SSDs vs HDDs

So, are there any reasons to use a ssd besides faster boot times? Does it makes your computer overall faster or not? If it does, how much? Can you guys link me some benchmarks or something? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No it's shit just keep buying those HDDs friend.

There's no reason to get an SSD. There's no moving parts, but everyday users often want to move files, which SSDs make totally impossible. Only for servers.

less rotational velocidensity means your mp3s wont degrade as fast, so there's that for one.

What you need is a tape drive user.

Just read about them fucktard.
It makes way faster access to disk = faster to get everything on disk. If you dont need that then you dont need ssd

They make no noise, give off much less heat, use less energy and have considerably faster, consistent read/write times than conventional disk drives.

I've been using them for years, zero issues. If you get decent brands, you'll be fine.

SSDs do make your PC a bit smoother and more responsive, but that's about it.

Samsung's RAPID mode is an absolutely BASED feature. Really any ramdisk is based, but with RAPID mode, there's no need to fiddle with stuff, it just werks.

Yes, it makes everything in your computer faster. It's the most noticeable upgrade you can get.

>give off much less heat
>use less energy

Isn't that a bit redundant? It's the core of thermodynamics.

If we were talking about hard drives, yes.

Put a cheap Intel drive into a 2/3yr old Pentium laptop with 4Gb ram... the thing is fast as fuck now. Perfect shitposting machine.

I put a SSD in my old Elite book that had a failing 7200rpm Toshiba, it's miles better now

If we're talking about anything it is. An electric space heater that pulls 1500W from the wall, will give you 1500W worth of heat out.
A CPU pulling 180W from the PSU will give obviously give you more heat from a CPU taking 53W from the PSU.

SSD are the single most viable upgrade you can do to a PC. Even a video card upgrade won't benefit you as much as ssd. /thread

Install one, it'll change your life.

So should I get an SSD for my winblows games or my freedumb shitposting machine?

You no longer have a mechanical device in your computer.

Anything that accesses the drive will be able to do so much faster because it no longer relies on a mechanical head seeking the right areas on the surface of a spinning disk.

Now when multiple processes have disk i/o you will be able to do so without queueing the requests until the head is available to perform another operation.

This is why ssds make little sense for just plain data storage, but as an operating system disk, which has plenty of i/o going on its a sensible thing to consider.

Hard disk drives are fine for storage of infrequently accessed data such as backups, media, archives, etc because you won't be accessing many things simultaneously.

Your operating system however, is constantly reading and writing to the disk, an SSD allows those operations to finish sooner when compared with hard disk drives. Opening an application is close to instant, and you get far less "application not responding" dialogues because your disk i/o Governor doesn't have to do as much scheduling to give priority to system tasks that might be happening simultaneously when you try to start a program.

>So, are there any reasons to use a ssd besides faster boot times?
Yes
>Does it makes your computer overall faster or not?
Not always
>If it does, how much?
Depends
>Can you guys link me some benchmarks or something?
google.com
lemonparty.com

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers

If you have internet like mine, hdd bottles it. ssd allows it to download as fast as my internet allows.

Shitposting is more important than vidya

>You no longer have a mechanical device in your computer.
You still have fans. And a pump if you fell for the AIO meme.
>Megalaheims and R5 250 passive masterrace

They're quieter. That counts for a lot for me.

You must have some crazy ass > 1Gbit internet, my drive gets up to 182 MB/s all the time. Yes, bytes, not bits.

Noise
Power consumption
Temperature/Heat
Faster seek/read/write
Faster drive startup (no "spin-up")
Faster OS boot
Faster program loading

>faster boot time

wait, people actually turn off their computers when they are done using it?

I heard something about limited number or writes
Did I get meme'd?

Yep, the flash cells wear out over time, but it's fine for normal use.

>Did I get meme'd?
well, it will eventually die out from wearing out but it doesn't have some sort of extremely limited lifespan if thats what youre thinking.

Also, since there are no moving parts, it's safe to move around with your notebook. (I see no reason to get one in a PC since you are not supposed to power it off).
They have a shorter life span (limited number of write/read cycles, but this will only reduce reselling prices.

Yes; yet, both of those attributes are legitimate benefits of using SSD.

>lemonparty.com
>.com
Please be baiting me with that newfaggotrous fuckup of the domain extension

Pros:
More reliable, faster, more resistant to shaking/hits, will last more if you buy a good brand.

Cons:
Way, but way more $/GB, controller shits the bed and you do too but this only happens on crappy SSDs like PNY or nonamebrands.

You do realize that not all energy end up as thermal energy right? A 10W flashlight might not necessarily give off more heat than a 15W flashlight if the efficiencies are different.

Thanks, I was wondering how you could copy files if nothing ever moves. I often copy and move files.

Is this why my old mp3s don't sound as good anymore? Is there a way to restore them?

They will wear out eventually, but the life expectancy is still far longer than a mechanical hdd.

Aside from faster read/write, yeah, ssds are pretty useless. I mean, forget that read/write is the function of a disk.

This is like saying a faster processor isn't worth it because it only processes faster.

It is possible to get reasonably decent fanless desktop hardware now. fitpc is one example. I'm out of date, but there are probably others.

MLC is pretty durable. For normal desktop use you should expect most MLC drives to last decades if we're just talking about program/erase cycles. TLC drives are fine, too, at this point. Though, I'd probably still pick an MLC drive.

>anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand

also, they are significantly lighter, another plus for portables (e.g., laptops).

I just got a SSD in my desktop and notice it's faster. people that say they degrade fast are retards.

Yes faggot