Old PCs

Post oldschool PC setups
bonus points for early watercooling

no old watercooling, but I have an old pc I snagged from the dump

some old junker Dell with a pentium 4 in it. I'm using it to make another computer setup in my house, completely from parts I salvage from the dump.

Phenom build
Vista 32

pic related. The Setup, hoping to find some old pc speakers soon.

Another dump find for me, an old Dell Inspiron 8000. the power adapter is coming in the mail, wish me luck.

these things are so useless, I tried to repurpose a Dell Dimension 3000 into a Win98 machine and I got so many obnoxious device conflicts. I could probably resolve all this IRQ stuff with DOS things if I gave a fuck, that is. I also think P4 is a bit too fast for some stuff. Games just run too fast.

so glad I got myself a PII machine

ah, I've found a few old P2 and P3 machines, but sadly none of them have worked, I have an old P3 sitting on my shelf waiting for a home. Maybe one day I'll luck out.

I have a few old PCs

775 FTW

Had a Celeron 2.6 with Barracudas in RAID 0 and an FX 5600 from memory.

Don't have any photos but got this.

Was a few years old at this point. Stock cooler died, threw an aftermarket one and overclocked the piss out of it.
>I'm still using it

Those massive air pockets

Was watercooling as sketchy as it looks back then?

I was rebuilding it.

Oops.

No pic sadly but I got a socket 370 micro atx mobo with Celeron 1.4Ghz & 512mb ram. Installed in PC Power & cooling mid tower case from 2002/2003ish along with a 3dfx voodoo 3 16mb pci and 20gb hdd. cd-rw/dvd rom combo drive along with 3.5 floppy and iomega zip 100 drive completes the build. First computer I ever built. I think the mobo died, been so long since I used it.

Pics or didn't happen

SGI VW540 I'm posting from right now

.... is that a 8800 gtx?
Nigga you need to play crysis on that fucker right now.

yes, leaks and ruined hardware were very common when starting out.

Tbh I almost did that to my current case because it's shit and had a clearence issue with my 240mm rad due to a shroud around it... I ended up just making a ghetto cut to a rail and grinding down a rivit

Looks like an 8800 GTS (the early ones not the 512s). It's been a long fucking time though.

Pic is what I played Crysis with.

oh shit nigga.

that is one of the most interesting looking cards I've ever seen.

>all those people who didn't pay the extra $20 for an 8600 and bought 8500s to play Crysis instead.

It's pretty much just two 7950s on top of each other.

It was the competition for the ATi X1950 Pro Dual from memory.

Hah holy shit i remember these

Literal housefires.

Yep. It fried itself. Wasn't as bad as those 700mhz Zotac 8800GT that literally caught on fire.

what gpu is that user?

Ahh i remember when that came out

It replaced my 256mb 6600GT.

My old school rig that I still use., Q6600 and an HD7750.

Throwing in my grandmother's PC a 90nm athlon X2 1.8GHz HP from back when AMD boards had the best onboard gpus.

>Dimension 3000 into a win98 machine
>hurrhurr useless
Why the fuck would you do that? The lowest you might be able to go would be 2000. The dimension 3000 is too new to run 98 easily. Use them for XP or vista or 7 or something.

Recent project.

Msi K7n2 Delta 2 Platinum
Amd athlon 3000+
3gb DDR OCZ
Ati x1600 256 DDR2 AGP 8X
Sound Blaster 128

>That sexy daughtercard
Very cool, whatever that is.

Damn I want a Qube. Is that a MIPS model or an x86 one?

The only Cobalt gear I have is some post-Sun acquisition dual tualatin shitbox.

x86.
You want it until you need to get at something inside. In order to change the RAM, you need to remove the hard drives and their mounting hardware, then undo the daughter board and this obnoxious bracket attached to it, and then put it all back when you're done. The lever for the CPU is located between the socket and a row of caps, so there's no good place to reach it where you don't run the risk of knocking caps off.
On a semi related note, that entire daughter board is on a PCI card.

Sounds like suffering, at least it looks cool.

Notice how there's no pics of monitors? They're not necessary for these threads because all the hardware is dead and probably has been for a decade.

Basically sums up the entire thread.

>hey guys fell for this meme and been in a DUMPSTER because working hardware is too mainstream
>Here's a pic of non-working tech that someone important literally threw out
>can I join this club yet?

>LanParty
RIP

What's with you, anyway? Your crybaby tirades used to be somewhat on-topic and now it's like listening to an old guy with dementia screaming about the damn millennials and their snapchats.

Dude's just being a fag, is all it is.

Indeed, but he's been doing a shit job of it lately. I haven't felt triggered by a single post he's made in like the last three months, I think he's just using a bot at this point.

The power adapter will work and so will the machine.

I didn't know he did that a lot, just stumbled across this old pc thread today.

He's some butthurt faggot from /vr/ or the old Sup Forums /retro/ threads that I presume posted retarded shit, got called out for it, and now launches a nonsensical crybaby tirade against every old shit thread he comes across.

Which is absolutely hilarious, considering he has a little collection of shit himself and spends his free time squandering the power of a 980ti on some shitty '90s FPSes that nobody plays anymore.

I wouldn't even worry about him, i'll bet the shit you posted wasn't even that bad, you get motherfuckers on here trying to fight you over everything.

where/how did you get it? how much did it cost?

i'd like something like that to play with for fun

All hail the king.

i kinda miss the thin tube era, would be nice today for cramming stuff into sff cases

>That RAID controller and array
I don't even care if it's IDE it'd use that shit as a sever right now.

Is this modern retro build or truly vintage?

My ppro.

Dell Dimension 4600

If that board is an Asus P5E (x38) try crossflashing it to make it a Rampage Formula.
More overclocking options and less vdroop.

>tower cpu cooler as standard
Thank you dell
I got one too but as a server (c2d), thanks to that cooler i can keep it next to my main pc and not hear it

That bottom right is a 360° walk away thing.

I really hope this thread's still alive when I arrive home.

Already did that but thx
HD6950 with unlocked shaders @960mhz
It was painted for my main build but is now retired

I had one like that
until I replaced it with with a raspberry pi 3

No it's the hard drive

I have this card, got it on ebay pretty cheap not long ago for Germany.

Was this card ever for sale? I never saw it in stores, only a few articles about it and fewer that got to test it.

This was the third time I saw it on ebay, the two times before it went for £6-700 or something.

Has to be one of the rarest graphic cards out there.

I find this thread interesting because I wouldn't have thought computers this old would have produced enough heat to warrant water loops. Late 90's graphics cards didn't even have active cooling on them, while early 00's systems were kept cool using just the most basic of heatsinks. There was Pentium 4 of course, but besides that.

Thats impressive! I cant imagine what it cost you back in those days.. Dual socket-a or Pentium 3?

My 2007 socket 939 got nothin on yours!

For normal use youre pretty much right, but the aircoolers of those days fuckin sucked. If you wanted to try overclocking stuff, water was the only way, and pre 2003/4 there weren't alot of water cooling stuff on the market, so alot of it got home made.

Thats why it looks so awsome.