/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LOV0VWfGs-A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Sub 200
>Seiko 007 because lume and actually ISO certified
The 031 looks better, though.

I wonder what software was used to design this absolute beast of a time piece. 1000 year perpetual calendar.

First for Archie

>tfw my internet is shit and takes 2 minutes to upload a pic of a balding middle aged man

Dingos chewing on the cables

Do people take this man's advice seriously? I don't know him very well besides watching a few videos, but what has he done to earn a reputation?

It's a entertaining, it's pretty much a satirical blog, he has some nice very high end watches, which he shows off

You can't tell what he is being serious about or not

He plays a foul mouthed uncouth, border line poverty stricken middle aged man, who lives and breathes luxury goods

r8 pls

thoughts on Certina in general and the DS2 in particular?

I got mine for around £50, that was at allegedly 50% off. I wouldn't pay more than around £70-80 though.

Too small, get a real man's watch you homo.

Really love watching him explode

How much would anyone pay for one of these square Type II penis quartz watches?

Certina is more or less on the same level as Tissot. Make of that as you will.

over 100€ for sure, Penisquartzes are totally overrated.

Slightly sub 100$ range for II's, square KQ are 120$ range.

Decided "Fuck it, I'ma save for a Rolex not an SARX"

Tuck away £250 pcm and I should have myself an Oyster Submariner in about 2 years. Granted I could put away everything I'm not likely to spend and shorten that time to maybe 6 months.

Good choice user, can't go wrong with a Sub

I find it's the only nice looking Rolex. The explorer is fucking beautiful, but the "3,6,9" sort of ruins it. Should have kept it as batons.

The new Daytona looks really good.

I feel the same about the explorer, i tried on the Datejust with the batons and polished bezel, and i'm already thinking of how to convince the other half to let me buy it.

Never have been a fan of Chronos, but the Panda Daytona is nice.

Bet you like the new airking then

Should the datejust not have the cyclops, it would be literally perfect. But it's certainly on the better looking side of Rolex's range.

I threw up a little in my mouth.

I don't like the cyclops on the Submariner which is why i went with no date, but on the DJ it looks good to me. Here's now without and it just looks wrong

If the oyster perpetual looked like that series of datejust and still came in the the oyster perpetuals sizes and pricing, it'd be pretty perfect.

>Here's now without and it just looks wrong
To be fair, the Roman Numerals provide a very different aesthetic to the watch, so it's hard to compare.

Black dial and we're there. Need some contrast in there.

That Air-king is a monstrosity. Yellow logo, green writing, ugly numerals, hands look to small.

Agreed, would be significantly better with blue or black. Dial colour is one of the things that drag the current OP line down.

Really gotta think just what kind of retards work in the Rolex design studios.

Quick! post some poorfag watches.

Good lord.

What the fuck where they thinking.

Seems somewhat odd to have a Datejust, with no date.

So do you fuckers advertise this thread on plebbit or something?
Why the fuck are there so many normies here?
They're starting to leak out to other threads and it's starting to become a problem
Fuck off normies

"normies" are the least cancerous thing to happen to this board in a long time.

Once the mods go full nazi and delete any thread can be viewed even remotely as Spam/Advertisement, then this board will start to get better again..Remove the shit, and the shitposting shall cease.

A proper full nazi solution is having /wt/ on Sup Forums be digital only, and the "appreciation of micro-engineering and materials engineering" be moved to /fa/ where it belongs.

Watches are closer to technology than a fucking homescreen.

Of all the things to remove on this board, /wt/ is pretty far down the list.

There is no technology discussion in these threads, don't fucking kid yourself
It's all autism about how a watch looks

And what technological discussion is there to be had in a Desktop thread?..Or homescreen thread? It's just a thinly veiled attempt to circlejerk over whatever Anime people here watch.

So go make a separate digital only /wt/? There was one a while ago.

Nah, men, the Explorer 1 is the best looking Rolex by a margin.

It has redeeming aspects, but the "3,6,9" knocks it down several notches.

I like it.
It's not a design thought for office monkeys or rich kids.

Goddamn, that "rolexrolexrolex" is atrocious.
Should have gone for an older model.

It's barely noticeable in the flesh at normal viewing distance, doesn't bother me at all. Also i prefer having a warranty

That's quite good then as I just won it on Y! auctions for £9.30

>glossy

Awful. The Rolex is one of the watches that looked worse IRL than on pictures. The gloss is making it look really cheap in my opinion.

Quick, post the gaudiest watch you like, mine would be a rose gold Yachtmaster

I recommend a quartz grand seiko for a good luxury watch without the service Judaism of the swiss and japs.

Yeah that's fine.

Worst case scenario if you don't like it when it arrives, flip it on eBay for a profit.

Exactly the plan.

Starting today I'm a certified watchmaker. What now? Is there any real profit in buying "for parts/repair" watches off Ebay and restoring them to a decent condition? Like old KS/GS Seikos, vintage Swiss, slavshit, even poo2loo?

Are wild 70's watches considered gaudy?

not really imo, more like eccentric, what I mean by gaudy is watches going full retard on diamonds, bold colors and precious metals

There would be decent money in finding a cheap higher end watches and doing repairs, you wouldn't want to be slaving away for hours on a few shitty watches to make a few measly dollars, you would be better off working an actual job

What you should do if you are looking to actually profit from it is gamble a bit and hope watches don't have anything majority wrong with them. Buy whatever brand watch for say $200, repair it (hopefully something very easy) then sell it for $800

Don't Slave away to turn a $15 watch into a $50 watch

Non running Omega's are easy to come by, Seiko's as well.

But no name Swiss watches usually sell real cheap.

>you would be better off working an actual job
I did acquire a job recently. Right now I'm a battery monkey and it pays pretty well. Thanks normies for not even being capable of swapping your own batteries!

>But no name Swiss watches usually sell real cheap.
How about good brands that are not really know among plebs (like Omega, Heuer, Doxa) but more known among other watch autists, like Eterna, Enicar, all that Super-Compressor shit, Wittnauer, Vulcain, etc?

The 70s were the pinnacle of watch design, I haven't seen something from that decade I hate.

Then I guess this niggered-out Milgauss.

>Eterna/Eternamatic
Yes.

Otherwise Doxa is also a nice option, lot's of cheaper ones around. I can't really think of any other brands of the top of my head, but there are quite a few.

Better chronograph pusher integration than the nautilus 5980

Came to the conclusion that it's easier and cheaper to buy a new Komandirskie and disassemble it to rebuild my old one.

Does anyomne know of shops in St Petersburg who sell Komandirskies? I'm always up for a train trip across the border into Russia.

he will if he dosen't put the fork down

>niggered-out

Is this what ignorant people call fine craftsmanship in your country?

Porbably uncultured American piggu. That example looked a bit tacky, but if done right i think i can look good.

Rose gold Daytona.

Reminds me of what they do do shotguns, certainly not 'niggered out'

This is niggered out

Can this pass off as gen?

No

now this is autism

The whole point of the real thing is the titanium, if you want the design borealis and aramar make affordable ones.

>He missed the last thread with all the people debating the various characteristics and merits of vintage Seiko mechanical movements

There was some pretty bad shit in the 70s, it's just that it was all consigned to the landfill and only the cool stuff still floats around. Still I think the 70s were overall a glorious time for watch design. The low point was the 1990s; pretty much the only good thing to come out of that decade was the SKX.

Sauce?

To properly change a battery requires silicon grease and a new gasket, things which are understandably not in the normie arsenal.

If it's an actual waterproof watch. Plus the idea of replacing the gasket after every time you open a watch is mostly horseshit, a scam to get you to pay serious shekels for a rubber ring. This whole gasket thing only applies to serious dive watches that are expected to be relied on at their rated depth.

The reps are made out of titanium and quite some have actual (refurbished or otherwise low spec) ETA2824s in them.

It'd probably pass as a gen for most irl, but would it for the wearer? Would it make sense for the one who wears it to have a $3.5k watch? Does the wearer have the wrists to wear up a 42mm diver?

>The low point was the 1990s; pretty much the only good thing to come out of that decade was the SKX.
ORLY?

Should I get this instead of a Speedy Reduced to save me from potential trouble of the chrono module?

Any other

Are you serious?

>IS THAT A REEEEEEEEAL ROLEX???

Nice, do you happen to be a rapper?

Just the fact that it's there is atrocious, being able to see it or not is not determining.
Don't they have a lifetime warranty?

I don't know the exact price but I think there's a 38mm version of the Poljot Strela.

This but get the A2836 it's a better more consistent movement than the refurbished old stock ETAs

Can that pass for gen? Yes, especially to Normies. Most high quality reps sold on the major boards look close enough to gen to fool Normies and imo are better than uber thick Borealis memes. Just ensure your QC pics look decent and use a good TD from Replica Watch Info or RepGeek

/Wt/ hates reps because they bought the meme they're all cheap Canal Street shit but they are generally ignorant and poorly informed. Also there's a huge backlash on here against almost anything costing more than $300. While I agree $300 to 5K has a lot of bad watches in iy and Swatch/Richemont group are jews this doesn't mean watched in this range are actually bad... And it doesn't mean reps especially from the big makers are bad either.

>I'm posting here, following the request of some user on a neighboring general.
pls don't bully

Bretty gud watch actually.

for the price ($130 for sapphire and power reserve complication) I'd say it is.

5 year warranty, servicing adds another 2 years.

>/Wt/ hates reps because they bought the meme they're all cheap Canal Street shit but they are generally ignorant and poorly informed.
It's pretty much the opposite of the reason people don't like fakes.

I almost bought one before I realised it was too big

Fucking hilarious.

youtu.be/LOV0VWfGs-A

Considering buying a Rolex Daytona, mother of pearl face, steel and gold case and bracelet (pic related). Opinions?

As cancer.

Don't.