Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>lots of people use it
>therefore it can't be shit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

industry in what sense?

- i don't write anything in word anymore; if you need to write collaboratively everyone uses google drive (provided by the company, except the summer i was at MSR, which... duh). for more serious documents, i always use latex (templates make that pretty trivial; i admit i would never dig around in a cls file).

- for data analysis i don't know anyone that trusts excel; we run R code, python (numpy, pandas, scipy), or something similar. same for data vis (d3.js, maybe tableau's products these days, but nobody likes to pay for something and tableau is better for exploration than real output; i digress though)

powerpoint i'll grant, but a non-trivial percentage use keynote and maybe half that use latex and beamer to make PDF presentations (which are (somewhat surprisingly, to me, anyway) really good)
- power bi is a decidedly business tool. i suppose if you're very corporate then everything else is a non-starter.
- visual studio is used by almost nobody that i know. everyone uses vim, emacs, sublime text as editor, and various other IDEs for more involved stuff.

>visual studio
>takes longer to install than Windows itself
>somehow manages to take even longer to uninstall
>consumes more than fucking 5GB of space
>installs a lot of shit you didnt ask for
>manages to be slow even on a fast computer
>bugs; bugs everywhere
>shit tier languages like visual basic and c#
>managed c++ is an abomination

I'm sorry but Visual Studio is a complete garbage.

NoDevs are truly cancer

I use all of those with no shame. They get the job done and I'm use to them.

I do agree that Visual Studio can be tedious and overbloated. And if anyone knows a better editor that has intellisense functionality and good reflection features (can make a auto complete list of available classes/ options when typing), I'll be all for it. Bonus points if it works with Unity.

Sup Forums is full of indians today

>i

stopped reading here

>t. unemployed archbabby

No idea who they are and these languages ARE shit tier.

What's your language senpai?

Sorry but JetBrains is the industry standard for IDEs now. People couldn't bear to use VS without ReSharper, and now they have a full C# IDE alongside the C/C++ one they already had.

Damn I wish they were cheaper.

user, nearly everyone here is a fucking retarded Linux hipster. There is no reasoning to be had here.

Case in point.

what's the point of office software outside of the office anyway?

some people's home rooms are offices

12 bing points have been deposited in your account, Pajeet

pretty much this, I hardly ever use "office" documents unless I receive or need to send something to a tech illiterate.

Most of the stuff I do is either in Markdown. (our company has an internal site which works on markdown) or PDF's generated mostly in Latex.

Anybody wanting to modify the document is free to ask for the source.

By industry standards, OP obviously meant workplaces where people barely know how to turn on a computer

> nearly everyone

fortunately no. they're just very loud.
I'd say about half the users here use desktop linux, if that.

while I agree on the installation part, everything else is bs. And maybe managed c++, haven't tried it.

>manages to be slow even on a fast computer
my work laptop has an ssd and i5-4210h cpu, works just fine with an application that has 1.1M lines of code

let me guess - you think JAVA is better?

>poorly documented proprietary format impossible to implement
>industry standard
That's not how it works OP

Except it is

I don't mind people on Sup Forums saying Linux is superior OS but i hate when people deny well known facts

How the fuck can someone say Office is not industry standard?

>lamborghini countach
>engine takes longer to build than the car itself
>somehow manages to take even longer to repair
>consumes more than 2 parking lots to avoid scratches
>installs a lot of horsepower you didnt ask for
>manages to be hard to drive even for a good driver
>bugs everywhere, has no front bugscreen
>shit tier fuel/induction systems like twin turbochargers and motronic fuel injection
>automatic gear driving is an abomination

I'm sorry but Lamborghini Countach is a complete garbage.

Quit meming. Proprietary software like that has nothing to do with networking and system analysis. People use that software because it is user friendly. Proprietary is good if you HAVE to use but honestly, I haven't needed anything by Micro$oft in over eight years now.

Well probably because it depends entirely on which industry you're talking about. If by industry you mean each and every company that uses computers, then yeah, sure it's industry standard. Then again, by that logic picking your nose and not knowing how to search for text on a webpage is also industry standard.

I have never, ever heard anyone call freetard alternatives of office software better than MS versions.

One time open office corrupted my save file for an assignment and I had to spend the night before my project was due typing up a new one.
>inb4 10 word essay
It was a 10 page engineering report detailing the steps to assess a property for development.

>If by industry you mean each and every company that uses computers

That's what i was referring to, following OPs logic. He didn't specify what industry, thus it's safe to assume he meant the whole business world that uses computers

> Then again, by that logic picking your nose and not knowing how to search for text on a webpage is also industry

Also true, unfortunately.

> Implying industry standard makes it good...

>I have never, ever heard anyone call freetard alternatives of office software better than MS versions.
Because they aren't better. Literally, the only thing they have is being free. Everything else MS office does better

It doesn't have to be good, just better than the alternatives

Don't forget that is still does not support C99

But user a Countach is objectively better performing than the alternatives. Is C# better performing than its alternatives (Rust, C++, Java)?

But it's neither good nor better than the alternatives.
Pic unrelated, captcha is being retarded for some reason.

>Rust
Yes
>C++
Depends on the code
>Java
YES

>> Implying industry standard makes it good...

If you want almost any job in the real world, you have to be familiar with the MS office suite.

>C#
>better performing than Rust
Please provide proof.
>C++
>Depends on the code
Yes, if the C++ is 3 nested loops and the C# code is O(n) I'm sure they'd be head to head.

>C++
>Depends on the code
unless you make some very shitty implementation with C++, it will perform better than C#, because C++ is lower level language.

Countach is the IDE, retard. And yes, it does outperform the alternatives.

How does it outperform vim?

>Excel, Word, Powerpoint
Can all be replaced by LibreOffice. Most of the people where I work use OSX or Windows and all that Microsoft shitware. I use GNU/Linux and LibreOffiice. I have never had any compatibility problems in the workplace.

>power bi
Never even heard of it. We use other data visualization tools which work just fine and they run in a web browser and can be installed on a Linux server.

>visual studio
JetBrains (which has Linux support btw)

If you really want to talk about industry standard tools that are actually useful, you should be promoting Active Directory and Exchange

C# applications are run in a virtual machine which performs runtime optimizations as needed. C++ has no such ability.

It cannot use introspection to autocomplete method names which are dynamically generated during runtime.

>open office
That's your fault for not using libre office. OO has been dead for years now.

>"industry standard"
Are you implying that everyone is an office drone or a .NET developer?

the "industry" is shit

This is youtube tier comment right here

Would you mind telling me an alternative?

>Would you mind telling me an alternative?
The alternative is to stop using shit-tier languages like C# and VB. JetBrains is by far more pleasant to work with than Visual Studio. Hell, even Eclipse is more pleasant.

"JetBrains" doesn't even appear to be an IDE. Its the name of a company.

Yes, they have several IDEs. Pick the one which corresponds to the language you use.

You know what else was industry standard? xvid, that didn't mean it was good (Excel is the only thing i'd call good from what you listed)

>How does it outperform vim?
>this is what freetards actually believe

exactly.
it can optimize, yes, but the fact that it runs in a virtual machine is the main reason it will always be slower than C++

criminally underrated

>I'm sorry but Visual Studio is a complete garbage.

This. It's a fucking abomination. Visual C++ 6.0 was fucking god-tier back in the day. VS20XX is pajeet-tier shit.

And they are right. Just because they are popular it doesn't mean they are good. In fact, when it's about software the reverse is true.
All of these things you listed are cancerous and buggy.

What kind of windows theme is that?

Everything you listed are just a bit less cancerous than OP's. You are not much better.

>word, excel, powerpoint
>can just use open office for free

>open office
It's 2016 grandpa

>paying for word programs

abiword it is

>being retarded
Openoffice died long time ago, Libreoffice is what every cool kid uses.

Also if you are not fucking stupid you use LaTeX.

You didn't even mention the only item that actually should be on that list, Outlook. Exchange/OWA and Office365 are absolutely dominating every corporate environment.

This is on point.

Demonstrably false. Gmail is used by many government entities in the US.

Yeah no one NEEDS a car because you can technically just walk to where you're going, but people have schedules. Why spend an hour working in GIMP to accomplish something that could have been done in Photoshop in 20 minutes?

Just because it's industry standard doesn't mean it's good. Look at any Adobe software.

>c#
>shittier
Maybe to nasa, have you ever heard of an ERP?

This, some small business go the gapps route though, but o365 is better in every way

Photoshop is infinitely better than any other image editing tool.

There is no software that comes even remotely close to being even 1/10th as good as either Photoshop or Illustrator for their respective tasks.

Power BI is a fucking weird name.

>b-b-b-ut you have.... gimp?? and libreoffice....??

please explain

t. NEET

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy