/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

airospace.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thoughts on Fostex TH-X00's? I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Seems to be gaining meme force/flavor of the week status. I haven't tried it myself but there seems to be at least one lurker who favors Fostex and suggests the TR50P at every opportunity.

I have not tried them myself but given the push in /hpg/ over the last few weeks it could be good but just not as good as pitched here. It could be as good. Or it could be a load of crap.

Pulled the trigger on the L2, really curious about it, hope it works with V-moda cables.

What are the best headphones that isolates the sound around me?

Got mine yesterday. If I say it like this, I wouldn't be disappointed even if I payed double the price. They're really comfy, sounds great and they're really easy to drive.

Fill out the form or else start looking up cIEMs.

>Budget
$200 ~ $400 USD
>Location
Straya
>Source
Phone and laptop + FiiO E10K
>Preferred type of headphone
Canalphones (with mic and music controls). Metal construction and removable cables(?)
>Open or closed
Canalphones
>Comfort level
Maybe custom ear molds?
>Preferred music
No preference. From heavy EDM to light choir music, I listen to anything
>Past headphones
A-Jays One Plus (lost them), cheapo TDKs (last me for more than 4 years), stock Samsung canalphone (broke in two months)

>mic and music controls
>Metal construction
>removable cables
>Maybe custom ear molds
Literally V-Moda M100, built like a tank (actual military grade durability), detachable cables that vary between audio-only, mic attached and boom pro options, XL pads for extra comfort.
It's bass heavy, but you didn't specified a preffered FR, so maybe that's not a problem for you, you can always EQ it anyway.
You might need to buy some of the cables separately.
You might like the custom shield feature, assuming you are into that kind of thing.

I want a canal phone though.

I'm sorry, do you mean IEMs? I didn't fully undertood what you meant by canal phones, my mistake.
IEMs are not my thing so i can't help, but i'm sure someone will help out.

been interested in them for a while but the X2 kind of eliminated the urge to buy them. they seem to lean heavily on the warm/bassy side where X2 is a bit more on the v-shaped side.

i'm looking at the akg m220 as plebs first headphones. I like the size and looks and the reviews seem fine but I can't find it in europe, is it sold under a different name or some exclusivity deal with americas?

shure IEMs, hd280 if you can stand the clamp.

strayans fucking up terms even more than euros with their earphones shit. it's an IEM.

I've never heard anyone call it canalphone.
But yeah, people call IEMs earphones and earbuds regardless of form.

Indeed, X2 is probably a much better option, the only reason i got the L2 is because the price is right in my country (which is very unusual) and it wasn't particularly expensive either, besides, i've being wanting to test something different for a while now and this is a good excuse to test a boompro and maybe ditch my zm mic1, maybe if i like it i'll aim for the X2 later.

>Budget
$200 ~ $400 USD
>Location
Straya
>Source
Phone and laptop + FiiO E10K
IEM (with mic and music controls). Metal construction and removable cables(?)
>Open or closed
IEM
>Comfort level
Maybe custom ear molds?
>Preferred music
No preference. From heavy EDM to light choir music, I listen to anything
>Past headphones
Jabra ROX Wireless (shit battery life), A-Jays One Plus (lost them), cheapo TDKs (last me for more than 4 years), stock Samsung IEM (broke in two months)

Fixed for the autists.

Canal phone is sort of a deep instertion IEM by definition such as Etymotic models.

>Metal construction and removable cables
Pick one. In your price range you're likely looking at plasticky Shures and Etys with detachable cables or the metal constructed RHA IEMS.

>I've never heard anyone call it canalphone.
Canalphone might be linger from old school head-fi.

AMPERIOR SUPERIOR

so I just got the audio technica ath-m50x everyone is loving

they sound fucking awful
I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because the sound literally hurt my ears

my in ears that costs half the price sound one million times better

too bad, I really like how they look and feel
I will have to send them back I guess

For fell for the fucking meme. What a cuck.

What's the rest of your audio chain? Source? DAC? Amp? file format and age? I don't recall for certain but I don't think the m50x are very forgiving cans if the file is poorly done.

Maybe a V shaped freq response isn't for you. Try some velour earpads for comfort- if you're cheap get em from aliexpress or gearbest

M50x haven't been recommended here for a while, where are these buyers coming from and why are they posting about their regret as if it was a result of these threads? I'm confused.

Likelly shitposting attempts, notice how these posts never includes pics.

Shill detected.

>I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because the sound literally hurt my ears
Are you merely baiting us with this or are you sincerely seeking help? If you are sincerely seeking help we need more information as to what might be causing the problem.

Being some time now, let's make more of these,

Whats the album with senjougahara?

look at the post above you
That is the answer

airospace.bandcamp.com/

Can't say it's quite up there with his older stuff though.

Hi. From /csg/. If I was rich I would instantly own these. Sounds great. Jelly. Okay I'll go back now.

>Etymotic cable costs about $50 to replace
>HD558s are on Amazon for $50 used
Well I guess that settles it then. Back to Sennheiser.

LG G4
my PC
my laptop
LG G4 with fiio e11

mp3 and flac files

maybe my expectations were too high
I thought since my shure se 215 that cost 100€ sound so great
this "big" headphone that a lot of people say is really good will sound amazing and will make me orgasm

oh and I think the "S" and "F" sounds hurt my ears, thats what hurts

they are not bad, they sound good, but I thought they will at least sound as good as my in ears

I I think I would keep them, if the sound wouldn't literally hurt my ears

Everybody just buy HD600 you dumb niggers.

Has anyone modded a Beyer DT250 with a detachable SLR ? Can't find anything from google.

>nobass and veil
No thanks.

I was going to but HD558 is appealing at only $50 ($80 new) because I have other stuff to worry about and no amp. The total setback would be like $400 for 600+amp yet it'd only sound slightly better.

I'm basing this off of only owning 555.

I'll get around to it eventually.

No thanks, I love hearing instruments in my music tracks.

Channel matching is the same and you can't tell fidelity from a FR graph (and the signature is so similar, you can't really say one has it better than the other).

>Channel matching is the same
CAL has noticeable channel imbalance between 7 and 9 kHz. TH-X00 only has a small dip at 8 kHz.
>you can't tell fidelity from a FR graph
TH-X00 has less %THD+N too
>you can't really say one has it better than the other
i can without a doubt say that the TH-X00 measured at IF is more accurate than the CAL measured at IF

>Budget
$100USD MAX
>Location
Nunya Business
>Source
PC
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed, but would like full surround sound
>Comfort level
High
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or Warm
>Preferred music
Dad Rock, but these will be primarily used for watching movies
>Past headphones
$20 Philips

Is the hype of the Philips SHP9500 real?

I really like them, but worried about the sound leakage. Don't want to make the misses.

The measurement no one was waiting for. The FR isn't that big a problem.

-The file format doesn't particularly matter. That has its own class of issues, generally distinct from headphone problems.
-It is very easy to expect too much from audio.

Sounds like you have a frequency response problem, particularly with high frequencies. You'll have to fix that with a parametric EQ. Get some sine sweeps ready and make adjustments to the treble level. There are some guides to using EQ on the wiki. Feel free to ask questions about that.

>TH-X00 only has a small dip at 8 kHz.
...and the ~7dB difference at 11kHz, about a 4dB overall mismatch from 3 to 8kHz and 5dB on the lower end.
>TH-X00 has less %THD+N too
>i can without a doubt say that the TH-X00 measured at IF is more accurate than the CAL measured at IF
I totally believe that, but it's not on that graph.

Audio Technica M30X

>Closed
>surround sound
>Neutral or Warm

>SHP9500
Just stop. NVX XPT100

>...and the ~7dB difference at 11kHz
measurements are only guaranteed to be accurate up to 10 kHz. and that's not 11 kHz either, it's closer to 17 kHz.
>about a 4dB overall mismatch from 3 to 8kHz
if you wan to look at the overall channel imbalance, TH-X00 wins by a large margin
>and 5dB on the lower end.
that's below 20 Hz and not audible
>I totally believe that, but it's not on that graph.
never said it was

it doesn't sound like you have a clue what you are talking about

Those things look massive are they comfortable to wear while in bead?

Also is this user trying to meme me when this user is ranting about how shit his headphones are?

Also are the Sennheiser headphones any good?

>if you wan to look at the overall channel imbalance
I'm not saying that the CAL is better and I very much doubt the poster did either, I'm just saying it costs 1/10 and at least the FR is close enough that it's way past diminishing returns. Also claiming "balance mismatch" is ridiculous since they're both mismatched with a very small difference..
>never said it was
So you made a claim without providing any sort of proof, so it's worth absolutely nothing.
Also I very much doubt you ever touched a pair of CALs, if you're claiming it's uncomfortable.

It's because they are massive that they are comfortable.
>in bead
Maybe not. Try getting some in ears for that.

Models from the same line can be completely different in terms of frequency response.

Aidiotechnicas are good headphones, that user is just trying to meme, plus he bought the M50X's, when the M40X's would have sufficed

>I'm just saying it costs 1/10 and at least the FR is close enough that it's way past diminishing returns.
i don't disagree with that
>Also claiming "balance mismatch" is ridiculous since they're both mismatched with a very small difference..
i don't think there's anything left to be said about this
>So you made a claim without providing any sort of proof, so it's worth absolutely nothing.
the proof is in the same measurement pages as the FR graphs
>Also I very much doubt you ever touched a pair of CALs, if you're claiming it's uncomfortable.
lots of people think they're uncomfortable

>Those things look massive are they comfortable to wear while in bead?
>Also is this user trying to meme me when this user is ranting about how shit his headphones are?
I agree with The pads are great on the XPT100 and the same line != same sound.

>Also are the Sennheiser headphones any good?
Brand does not matter, only the actual product.
There are "good" companies that make bad products and "bad" companies that make good products.

>the proof is in the same measurement pages as the FR graphs
Ok and when you post it your claim will be worth anything.
>lots of people think they're uncomfortable
And lots of people believe in angels and flat Earth, your ad populum is worth exactly nothing. Strangely IF said they were very comfortable and most reviews from big reviewers all agree. I own a pair and they're the most comfortable leather pad headphones I've worn, only velvet pads are better. Maybe you should stop talking about headphones you never tried.

In the previous thread I've been suggested to buy the DT-770: does anyone knows if they suffer from a bad seal caused by eyeglasses' temples? I experienced bad sound quality with closed headphones (Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-ear) because of my eyeglasses, and I wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger on a closed headphones again.

>Ok and when you post it your claim will be worth anything.
not sure what you are getting at. are you saying you can't find it yourself?
>And lots of people believe in angels and flat Earth, your ad populum is worth exactly nothing.
the consensus is more important than my personal opinion. it's worth everything.
>Strangely IF said they were very comfortable and most reviews from big reviewers all agree.
you don't have to be a professional reviewer to have an opinion on the comfort of a pair of headphones.
>Maybe you should stop talking about headphones you never tried.
maybe you should stop making assumptions about what headphones i have or haven't tried

Which out the following would you choose?

Sony MDR7506/MRV6

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Sennheiser HD 449

AKG K 240

I really like the design and flatness of the Sony's though.

>not sure what you are getting at. are you saying you can't find it yourself?
I'm saying it's not my job to find proof for your claims.
>you don't have to be a professional reviewer to have an opinion on the comfort of a pair of headphones.
No, but you have to be a professional reviewer for your opinion to be worth anything. I could have an opinion on quantum mechanics, doesn't mean absolutely anything regarding its validity. But of course that doesn't suit you, so suddenly having lots of opinions that agree with you is more convenient than having a few well-made reviews that don't.
>the consensus is more important than my personal opinion. it's worth everything.
They're both irrelevant since they're both subjective. So if I got 500 people to say the Earth is flat, would that be more important than 1 astronomer saying it isn't? I mean, it's a consensus.
And your personal opinion is also irrelevant because you never tried those headphones.
But go ahead and show me where there's a consensus that the CALs are uncomfortable, or is that another claim you'll be leaving behind?
>maybe you should stop making assumptions about what headphones i have or haven't tried
Oh so you have tried the CALs personally?

>No, but you have to be a professional reviewer for your opinion to be worth anything. I could have an opinion on quantum mechanics, doesn't mean absolutely anything regarding its validity.
the shape of the earth and quantum mechanics have nothing to do with opinions. comfort does because it's subjective.
>They're both irrelevant since they're both subjective.
reviewer's opinions are not facts. their stance on comfort is just as subjective as an average consumer.
>And your personal opinion is also irrelevant because you never tried those headphones.
>Oh so you have tried the CALs personally?
what if i told you that i did try out the headphones and i did find them uncomfortable? would that change anything?
>But go ahead and show me where there's a consensus that the CALs are uncomfortable, or is that another claim you'll be leaving behind?
"consensus" was a bad word choice. most people find them comfortable, but a large amount of people also find them very uncomfortable due to the small size of the earpads and the lack of padding on the headband. with so many complaints about comfort, i don't think it's reasonable to say the headphones are comfortable although many people would feel that way.

>"consensus" was a bad word choice
Here we go, damage control.
Consensus was a perfect word choice, it just didn't suit you because the consensus is that they're comfortable. I know this because I read a lot of reviews before buying them and never found a single one saying they were uncomfortable, the most I got were people with large ears saying they worn them on-ear instead of over-ear, and still saying they were comfortable as on-ears (which are usually not). So even if there are a lot of people saying they're uncomfortable, there are many many more saying the opposite. You just cherrypicked.
>their stance on comfort is just as subjective as an average consumer.
No it isn't. A reviewer will know what to expect from headphones as a whole. If someone wore vintage Sony's their whole life of course anything they try afterwards will be more comfortable, even if it's sub-par in terms of comfort. Their knowledge is limited, so their review would be as well. Tyll from IF, who again says the CAL are very comfortable, has tried hundreds of headphones, so when he puts out a subjective opinion I at least know it comes from several years of comparison, not "I tried A and then B, and I liked B more".

I'll wait for that "large amount of people" saying they're uncomfortable though.

I'd say that scoop is fairly problematic and what is up with the extension?

How does /hpg/ rate my budget gear?

The most expensive piece of equipment is the Jabra ROX Wireless which I paid $130 for.

>Here we go, damage control.
it's damage control if you try to cover up a statement that's wrong. i retracted it.
>Consensus was a perfect word choice, it just didn't suit you because the consensus is that they're comfortable.
like i said, most people think they're comfortable, but i wouldn't call it a consensus when there have been numerous counts of people finding them uncomfortable.
>I know this because I read a lot of reviews before buying them and never found a single one saying they were uncomfortable
you should look harder next time
>So even if there are a lot of people saying they're uncomfortable, there are many many more saying the opposite. You just cherrypicked.
pretty much in line with everything i've said so far
>If someone wore vintage Sony's their whole life of course anything they try afterwards will be more comfortable, even if it's sub-par in terms of comfort.
saying that something is "more comfortable" is not the same as saying it's comfortable.
>Tyll from IF, who again says the CAL are very comfortable, has tried hundreds of headphones, so when he puts out a subjective opinion I at least know it comes from several years of comparison, not "I tried A and then B, and I liked B more".
even someone with a similar amount of experience as tyll could find the same pair of headphones uncomfortable due to the differences in head/ear size.
>I'll wait for that "large amount of people" saying they're uncomfortable though.
i'm not going to waste my time trying to prove something before you tell me what you accept as proof.

>saying that something is "more comfortable" is not the same as saying it's comfortable.
My whole point is that someone in that situation would find them comfortable as a whole. Their knowledge is limited. They know 2 headphones, so you can't expect them to use proper terms. They know A is more comfortable than B, and since they only know A and B, A is comfortable.
>even someone with a similar amount of experience as tyll could find the same pair of headphones uncomfortable due to the differences in head/ear size.
And someone with a similar amount of experience as Tyll will make a note saying he has a big/small head and so comfort impressions will take this into account. Which you'd know Tyll does, if you read IF.
>i'm not going to waste my time trying to prove something before you tell me what you accept as proof.
So you made a claim and you don't even know how to prove it? I'm starting to notice a pattern here.

It's you two faggots again.

Seriously, just stop fighting and just make out already.

>They know 2 headphones, so you can't expect them to use proper terms. They know A is more comfortable than B, and since they only know A and B, A is comfortable.
so your argument is based on poor reasoning skills of hypothetical people with hypothetical headphones
>So you made a claim and you don't even know how to prove it?
i could easily prove it by comparing the amount of amazon reviews complaining about the comfort of CAL and some other headphones, which are considered comfortable, like SHP9500, but i don't really see the point if you're just going to dismiss it and point to professional reviewers as the only source of information on headphone comfort.

Why quarreling over a totally subjective thing like the sound signature of headphones? You should know that spending more than 300€ for headphones basically means wasting money anyways.....

that's a cute miko

>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, dicam accusamus eos cu
An verterem consequuntur qui, cum nominati sapientem temporibus ei
>Pro ad deserunt laboramus, eu sea mollis laboramus. Sed ea recusabo percipitur, vis dicam convenire te, ei mei viris appellantur. An graeco posidonium mea, erant deseruisse vim et. Soleat dolorem te est, vel animal epicurei delicata cu.
Ex sit detraxit sensibus
>Nostrud sententiae te mel, ad latine evertitur vel
Quo et agam molestiae signiferumque, sit aperiam forensibus ei, vel ut nulla appetere. In sapientem percipitur nam, nibh dicta zril nec eu. Tollit splendide eos ea.

>Budget
50-100 euros
>Location
Portugal
>Source
PC
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I normally wear them for 2-3 hours
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
Rock,Alternative
>Past headphones
Some Shitty Headphones from ozone

>Hypothetical
Yes, that's how hypothesis work. If you disagree with this hypothesis, provide a counter-point. Ignorant people make ignorant reviews, I don't see how this is hard to understand. I'm not saying that I can judge comfort worse than Tyll, but I am saying his opinion is worth more because he has tried more headphones, thus his opinion has more comparison involved.

Do the following: show me that at least 2/3 of any large population of reviewers (let's say Amazon?) considered the CALs uncomfortable. It's still an ad populum, but it's better than complete conjecture, which is what you have so far.

>If you disagree with this hypothesis, provide a counter-point.
my counter point would be that you haven't provided an example where this has ever happened, but i won't ask you to, because i'm not really interested.
>Do the following: show me that at least 2/3 of any large population of reviewers (let's say Amazon?) considered the CALs uncomfortable.
without counting, i can tell you that it's not the case that 2/3 of the people mentioning comfort in CAL reviews on amazon think it's bad. i don't think it would be the case for any other popular headphone either.

Is my hypothesis wrong? If so, show me.
Ok, 2/3 of reviews that include comfort say it's uncomfortable?

>Is my hypothesis wrong? If so, show me.
it's an unfalsifiable hypothesis
>Ok, 2/3 of reviews that include comfort say it's uncomfortable?
no. "it's not the case that 2/3 of the people mentioning comfort in CAL reviews on amazon think it's bad"

You were wrong then. Good afternoon.

i was wrong according to your arbitrary target of what it takes for a pair of headphones to be comfortable

It's your fucking claim, prove it however you want. You asked what kind of proof I'd accept, I told you, you couldn't provide. If you want to hold on to your claim, you define the criteria then.
>Major reviewers all say it's comfortable
>Most reviews say it's comfortable
>Somehow they're still uncomfortable

>It's your fucking claim, prove it however you want.
you also claimed the opposite. i don't have to prove anything anymore than you do.
we're trying to turn something nuanced and subjective into something black and white and objective. it's unscientific and simply not possible if we can't agree on what counts as proof.
>You asked what kind of proof I'd accept, I told you, you couldn't provide.
i could have gathered the information and provided it but chose not to because i already knew what the results would be.

Is it worth spending > 60$ for IEMs if the source will always be my smartphone (256 kbps AAC)?

I'll never understand how headphone amp/dacs are so expensive, the o2 here in canada would cost me 370$. And for that price the fucking power connector is in the front. And people who review this headphone amp dare call this thing "affordable, good price". Audio people are so delusional lol. It's overpriced as fuck

I was having mad buyers remorse after buying my first pair of "high end" headphones, but yesterday night I was listening to some aphex twin and they sounded so good. Was listening to it for 2hrs straight while working late at night. Feelsgoodman

What headphones? Could either be that you are getting used to them or that purchase ratiolazation started to kick in.

I went from hd558 to hd600, and at first although I knew they sounded better I felt bad for spending so much on headphones. I really like them now, perhaps its purchase rationalization. I definately won't buy anything higher end than this though

>The measurement no one was waiting for.
Nah, I'm always interested to see measurements.
>The FR isn't that big a problem.
Honestly that would be a reason for me to never consider these regardless of their price point. That gigantic notch in upper mids/treble and brickwalled extension is disappointing to say the least. Yet another crazy expensive IEM to the bin.

>forgiving
Never understood what this means.

I have a fiio e10k and want to upgrade to a new amp but keep the e10k as a dac, how would I do this? Can I just connect the e10k to a o2 amp or a magni? how does that work and will it look retarded?

>Never understood what this means.
rolled off treble

"rolled off trebble" lmao what the fuck does that even mean moron? it's just audiocuck lingo that doesn't mean anything

256 kbps AAC is transparent which means that upgrading your files to lossless ones won't make a difference regardless of your gear. Digital compression or the limitations of a format are in a domain of their own, fairly unrelated to the gear in the first place, just like said. Compression artifacts are always present in the signal and aren't really masked away by headphone/amplifier/DA-converter performance aside from extremely poorly performing gear.

Most modern smartphones have really high quality audio outputs and rarely end up having audible problems. The basic amplifier/DAC checklist applies:

-Is it too quiet?
-Is the output impedance too high (fixable by equalization)?
-Is there noise/EMI or hiss to it?
-Does it sound distorted as you start to crank up the volume?
If the answer is no, don't get one(=your device isn't a problem)

Price is an indication of absolutely nothing, stop paying attention to it if you want to make a good purchase. There's good and bad gear to be had in almost all price points. I can't decide what is worth it for you but I'll say that for 60 bucks you can get some really good in-ears already.

>how does that work
You plug the new amplifier into E10K using line out from the back instead of the headphone amplified jack in front.
>will it look retarded?
You tell me.

It's unlikely that either will give you any benefits but at least they perform better on paper.

Quite literal description of the frequency response.

>muh claridy
maybe you could hear things better if you took the dicks out of your ears

Thanks for the clear-up.

>I can't decide what is worth it for you but I'll say that for 60 bucks you can get some really good in-ears already.

Okay, I'll just try filling out the default purchase advice template then:

>Budget
up to 100€ (~ $115)
>Location
Germany
>Source
Smartphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Don't really care since I use special memory foam tips anyway.
>Preferred tonal balance
Somewhere between bassy and neutral.
>Past headphones
SoundMAGIC E10, however their form (sharp edges in particular) pissed me off because you could always hear the wind howling e.g. while bicycling.

>budget
120 usd
>location
United states
>source
Phone
>size
Full
>open or closed
Closed
>comfort
Able to work out with
>music
Rap and country

Wireless would be prefered.

Does anyone here know about integrated amps with DACs? If so what are so brands to look at? I am looking for an integrated amp as desk space is limited that can put out 50-100 watts to power a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. Ideally the amp would also have some sort of connection for a powered sub as well.

Budget is 700 dollars USD that can go to at most 800 USD.

>Budget
200€ max.
>Location
France
>Source
PC
Around ear
>Open or closed
Don't know
>Comfort level
high
>Preferred music
No really preference. I find happinesss in many kind.
>Past headphones
Shitty cheap stuffs.

Actually, I need a headphone for gaming (so with a mic) but also to listening musics or watching movies.
Previously I had a 5.1 speaker kit but now I have moved into a flat and I don't want troubles with my neighbors.
I have done some research and the Sennheiser GAME ONE or ZERO seem good. But I don't know a shit about headphones.

Yamaha AS-301/501/701 all match what you need spec wise. They have digital inputs and subwoofer output. Marantz PM6005 is a competing integrated amplifier with digital inputs. It lacks a subwoofer output however but it's also considerably smaller than the Yamahas making it easier to locate. Don't pay attention to power figures. 50 watts per channel is already insane amount for the KEFs in a nearfield/small to average listening room.