In the market for a new OS

My windows 10 shat itself after 5 hurtful days. Looking for a new OS now.
Used Windows 7 with LifeStep for a while - like customisation
Like minimalist desktop
Bit of a noob with linux - used custom ubuntu for about a year
Arch looks terrifying but may end up giving a try
Recommended programs and environments (with how to customize them) also welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

bunsenlabs.org/
distrowatch.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Try manjaro, it's arch but easy to use and is p reconfigured. Its got a bad rep here because arch users want to feel superior and also because their certificates keep expiring, but they're fixing that now.
I'd go with the xfce version over kde as it's more stable and just as practical, most things you need are preinstalled and if you need something there's a graphical package manager

Purchase the new Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Pretty much this.

If you're not passionate about GNU/Linux then you're probably not going to enjoy it.

I recently put manjaro on my other SSD. its comfy and nice but random shit on my laptop doesn't work now. Kinda annoyed. It cant sleep properly anymore and various function keys dont work. I guess im missing some sort of driver but Im not sure which.

It's got bad rep because it's shit, period. Stop spreading lies. I actually very much like the idea of Manjaro but the devs are complete retards which makes it pointless. If this distro actually had decent team maintaining it then it would be top tier.
Stop acting like you are better than other people because you failed at installing Arch, mr newfriend.

PC gamer here. I realized Windows 10 was shit after using it for about a month. I installed Linux Mint and have been using it for about 8 months. This shit is liek Windows XP, I guess. Maybe check out one of Mint's DEs? Not sure if the default Cinnamon DE is what you're looking for.

If you're new to GNU play it safe and try Ubuntu or Mint. After a month or two, if you like it, -maybe- try something like Arch.

try ubuntu first

We feel your pain. Debian with cinnamon. Thank me later Sup Forumsbro.

>One person claims Arch-fags are indeed massive butthurt faggots
>Arch-fag goes full retard

You couldn't of proven his point more if you had tried.

install gentoo

ayy lmao

Except I'm not archfag, newfriend. I just use linux long enough to know more about it than newfriends like you. I used to use Arch at some point though. Just like I used to use pretty much every distro over last ~9 years. Don't assume everyone is clueless Sup Forums spilloff like you, and promptly kill yourself out of Sup Forums.

>Don't assume everyone is clueless Sup Forums spilloff like you,
>" Don't assume everyone is clueless Sup Forums spilloff like you,"
>Assumes user is Sup Forums spilloff

It's ok. You tried.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, probably neither do you. Either way can you fuck off back to your containment board now? Thanks.

rekt

For sleeping, use an older kernel. 4.1 is a safe bet.
The function keys can be assigned by yourself.

If you're reaction to features not working is "kinda annoyed" instead of "I wonder what's preventing this from working and how I can fix it", stick with Windows.

Arch is a cool toy for children, but is not a man's choice.

>Arch looks terrifying
Download Architect ISO, 30 mins later you will have your minimal OS with no bullshit bloat.

If on a laptop go for xfce (xubuntu,manjaro,opensuse),it compromises bad battery performance that Linux has in general.If on a Desktop go for Gnome,Ubuntu-gnome etc.. Dont install tryhard distros because you probably don't need them and you'll end up frustrated.

install Gentoo

*your

>recommending trash like arch, manjaro, ubuntu or mint
Fucking retards

?

Arch and manjaro are ricer trash
ubuntu comes with unity shit
mint is shit for many reasons

Recommendation, plox

Lubuntu
Xubuntu
*buntu or fedora with a wm
If you don't need proprietary drivers: debian unstable

>Like minimalist desktop
>Bit of a noob with linux

bunsenlabs.org/

Install debian

manjaro is bad about letting security certificates expire, either use antergos or arhcitect if you want arch on easymodo

unity is only shit if you're a gnutard, but people coming from windows love it

I came from Windows and I love Cinnamon. All I do is browser shit and play games on Steam

Hi guys, I'm a Windows sheep and I'm really fucking pissed that my computer forced installed windows 10 today, I lost a bunch of work too. I want to learn how not to get shafted like this.
How do I educate myself regarding the ins and outs of other OSs (if they're even that) and how do I initiate myself in the world of smart computer usage?
I don't particularly care about my games on Steam since I've stopped gaming almost altogether, I just wanna be able to brose, do work, play music (I'm using foobar2000 right now), eg pretty basic stuff.

If anyone feels like taking a couple of mins to help me out i'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

distrowatch.com/

>reccing distrowatch instead of linuxfreedom
wat?

Debian.