Lightweight Linux distros

I need help Sup Forums.

I'm looking for a extremely lightweight Linux distro capable of running the last version of Firefox/Chrome, LibreOffice, etc.

I'm trying to use a very old PC with 500MB of RAM and a AMD Sempron CPU running at 1600 MHz

Suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lubuntu

>Suggestions?

Yeah, Get a new PC poorfag

>AMD
>Sempron
Throw it in the garbage.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

It's not mine. My PC is worth about $1200

Tell them to spend $100 and buy a prebuilt dell with an i5 or i7 in it, so worth it over that old crap.

I wish I could

puppy linux

Lubuntu but ur gonna need a net install if you have that little RAM. Also basic Debian works the same way

I can't, it's a public computer running Ubuntu 14.04 but I am allowed to use a bootable USB. I have to use that computer (oh god why) and Ubuntu is so fucking slow.

"damn small linux"

For most people, I would say Lubuntu.
Another option could be Zorin os lite.

>Ubuntu is so fucking slow

Ugh, no.. The computer would be from the mid 90s.

Yes I know. That specific computer using Ubuntu 14.04 is slow.

>also Debian works the same way
Ummm... 8.4.0 with Gnome for example?

Don't listen to that dirty weeaboo cat.

Just upgrade the ram.

My T42 with a 1.7ghz pentium m and 2gb of ram handles web browsing and videos just fine.
Even some old games, like the sims and Halo

Debian netinstall would probably be your best bet.

Puppy linux, but I'm not sure if it comes with libre office and whatever browser it has may not be the latest version. It's the lightest you will get.

Try Damn Small Linux.
Thank me later OP.

Lubuntu will run fine on anything with at least 500 MB of RAM
You only run into problems with modern *nix when you dip below 256 MB

This is the best answer. Had to do a similar thing as OP (preparing one of my old and weak laptops for my dad) and after doing a lot of research and tests, ended-up with Lubuntu as the best option.

Wouldn't something like Arch + OpenBox be more lightweight?

why?

I'm sure arch is over op's head a little
And believe it or not, I used a 32bit lubuntu on a 10 year old core duo machine I time a few months ago, when I built a new machine.

OP here. I'm testing Puppy Linux. I'll try lubuntu too, thank you.

Underrated post

>I'm sure arch is over op's head a little
lol I only use Arch and Windows 10 in this computer. Arch is awesome, but I want to hear some suggestions first.

Lol

Windows xp.

Lubuntu and Solus

Obviously fucking Gentoo... Wtf is wrong with you people? Ubuntu? Fucking retards.

Spend forty buxx on more ram and a better CPU.

It doesnt matter how light the distro is you are not running modern webpages on 500MB of ram unless you do it stallman style by scraping the text and reading them in emacs.

precisely

>these fucking idiots recommending ubuntu flavors
PUPPY FUCKING LINUX
PUPPY
FUCKING
LINUX

IT CAN RUN ON A COMPUTER WITH 32MB OF RAM

Just do Mint with XFCE and get on with your life OP

Don't fall for the Lubuntu meme, it works worse than XP.

I can confirm this too

OP here.
I've finally chosen Puppy Linux. Performing Frugal installation in a bootable USB right now.

Thank you for your tips and fuck the Gentoo guy.

OP here.
I've finally chosen Puppy Linux. Performing a portable installation in a bootable USB right now.

Thank you for your advice and fuck the Gentoo guy.

GNU+Gentoo would be the perfect solution if you had another machine to build everything you desired. TinyCore is another option if Puppy doesn't work out.

OY VEY

Something with LXDE, if you want a pretty regular looking desktop. I personally use openbox with tint2, incredibly light and does everything I need.

I don't know if it works worse than XP but in my own experience it can practically revive obsolete hardware and unlike XP it provides tons of useful software from a trusted repository and it has good support (LTS recommended). The only thing that could go wrong is if you have an old piece of hardware that never had good linux support in the first place like VIA graphics for example, otherwise it's probably a much better option than XP and it's comfy even on recent hardware if you like to keep it lightweight.

i didnt come here for top keks dude

Either find a linux distro that works, I doubt you'll have much success or install a windows version made for the hardware. Install Windows 2000. I have seen it on a lot newer hardware than yours in corporate environment where it hosted the database with all that info and it was connected to the internet and I was always amazed how that thing didn't shit on itself everyday with malware.

The lightest with a GUI is "Damn Small Linux"

My current specs:
CPU: AMD Sempron 3100+ (1.8GHz)
RAM: 440MB
GFX: Integrated

I am running Lubuntu but there are several alternatives that would run just as well. The normal installer is too heavy to use on my machine, I have to use the "alternative iso" (check the website).

It runs fine, much better than XP.

Obviously I can't watch movies at 1080p. 720 is possible if the bitrate isn't too high.

Web browsing can be difficult without NoScript/ABP installed (I'm sure uBlock/uMatrix will work just as well). You will want an ad and script blocker. For watching videos I made a python script that runs MPV and youtube-dl. I can call the script from within Firefox using an addon called "OpenWith". MPV already has youtube-dl functionality baked into it. But I use my own script so I can probe all the video qualities available then select which one I want to play. I'm sure there are greasemonkey scripts and addons that will handlethis as well. You definitely want to avoid using an embedded video player if possible.

Also, you will need to avoid opening large images on Sup Forums as they will slow your machine to a crawl.

>LibreOffice
Lubuntu comes with Abiword and Gnumeric. They work fine for me. You will have to decide if you can use those.

Many Linux flavors will run on your computer. You will need to decide which DE you want. Lubuntu is nice because it has all the "babby-tier" qualities of Ubuntu.

As far as DSL hardware requirements go:
486dx or 100% compatible processor
16mb ram (24mb recommended)
dual-speed CDROM (quad-speed or better recommended)
1.44mb floppy drive (for boot floppy, if needed)
VGA monitor and video card
a mouse (serial, ps/2, usb)

I installed lubuntu on mom laptop at it takes more time to open a file from desktop than in windows xp,

How old is your hard drive? Gig ethernet is faster than many older IDE drives.

Install Arch Linux, it's super lightweight, cause it has nothing preinstalled. Also it runs teh lastest shit cause' muh rolling release.

gentoo
e
n
t
o
o

Arch, skip the DE and install i3. Or Debian if you prefer

You could try Chromium OS.
I'm not even joking.

Once i tried on a netbook. Dat pain...

You'd have to rely on google docs as an alternative to LibreOffice. I'm not even sure that shit works offline

Just grab the minimal iso of whatever distro you usually run then only add what you need. Beyond what's installed by the package manager and the package manager itself distros really don't vary in speed at all too much
/thread

Today I learned something. Neato. Still not going back to Chrome OS tho

i hope it's okay that I'm saying "puppy fucking linux" like the puppy.monkey.baby superbowl commercial.