/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=>hmm, maybe I'll listen to the freetards for once and give linux a go
pastebin.com/583weFYc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

on GNOME, how can I switch around one Workspace for another without having to move the windows one by one?

Say, I have programs A B on W1, C on W2, and D on W3. I want C to be W3 and D to be W2

how to comfy conky-cli on top for stacking wm like in dwm but pretty like lxqt-panel default theme

I have to use Packet Tracer on Debian testing. PT wants libssl1.0.0 and libcrypto1.0.0, but Debian testing only has libssl1.0.2 and whichever version of libcrypto.
Symlinking the newer libs to trick the program doesn't work, it throws version 'OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by ./PacketTracer6)
So i LD_PRELOADed the older libs but i get a segmentation fault. Is there anything else i can try besides insulting Cisco for making shit software?

Just to check, is a display manager equal to a login manager?

I don't need another window manager.

I want to give Linux another go but I've always had graphics driver issues (GTX 950 - the DE just crashes on most environments and distros I've tried) but I'm considering installing Fedora. Is there a distro with better driver support or should I just go with Fedora(+rpmfusion)?

>is a display manager equal to a login manager?
They're exactly the same thing, the proper name is a display manager.

It's purpose is to start a X session, that's why it's called a display manager

Ubanto will give you the least painful way of installing proprietary drivers (A must on nvidia gpus).

On Fedora you have to do it the "traditional way" ie. via terminal because it doesn't have the dedicated tool for that unlike Ubanto.

negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/

I'm fine with using the terminal for the most part. I've never seen this repo before, however. I may give it a try, thanks.

>GNU/Linux

Stallman is a fraud. Calls himself a Doctor but doesn't have a PhD.

Takes credit for Linus's work. Calling it GNU/Linux is disrespectful.

>tfw no new poettering creation to flame at

Become an idiot like that last guy and start thinking that he's "responsible" for Wayland.

Arch users with Intel GPUs:
Can you install lxpanel and see if you get a "burned in" picture on the taskbar for applications?

>open terminal emulator
>appears normally in the taskbar
>close it
>it stays in the taskbar, but only the image of it; can't click it

>Takes credit for Linus's work.
He never credited himself for creating Linux kernel

Good to know, thanks for correcting me.

THATS FUNNY BECAUSE EVERY SATA DEVICE IN EVERY LINUX SYSTEM I'VE RUN SEEMS TO HAVE SD* FOR THE DEVICE NAME HOW FUCKING INTERESTING!

I've successfully installed arch linux, now what DM and WE should I use? I'm still looking for options and such

Oh shit I fucked up, I mean DE and WM

is slock designed to load on boot or are you expected to login to x from the commandline before activating it?

I basically don't want to type start x but I don't want it to autologin either.

Fedora/CentOS/RHEL expert here. Will be around most of the day since my boss decided to not come to work today and I'm waiting on his feedback for my project.

Subscribed.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, is wayland "production" worthy yet?

Wayland is just a protocol and it's "completed" with version 1.0. Now it's just getting additions.
You want Wayland compositors to use, like GNOME('s) and KDE('s) or standalone ones like Sway. They work, but of course a lot of stuff is missing and you'll most likely have to run things with X using Xwayland.
Download RebeccaBlackOS to test how it runs on your computer (I don't know if Fedora's live session can use a Wayland session).

>hmm, maybe I'll listen to the freetards for once and give linux a go
>oh wait, I use my OS for more than shitposting and writing hello world tier """programs"""

That's what he said in the second point of his post.

Calm down kid

Hey man you have any clue on this AMD gpu thing. I've been digging around and haven't found anything on Buntu 16 so I'm on botnet 10 right now. Also I'm installing fedora to try it out on a VM

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=>hmm, maybe I'll listen to the freetards for once and give linux a go

For your bait to become more effective you should at least rearrange the order of words a bit

what are you referring to exactly?

>he actually search for it in archives

Well of course I do, I'm a certified™ member of the Shill Patrol.

If it's shit-skinned and it has an internet access, we keep an eye on it.

>says Linux shill

I want to move away from windows server to linux for managing the AD. I'm confused as to what's the OS alternative to it tho. My needs are to just create a domain, users and relative permission. Almost all the other computers in the domain use windows 7-10 (and one XP)

>GNU/linux

Man, I was looking for a thread where I could get help with a modern linux distro instead of plain linux with GNU. Shame. I'll try the ubuntu forums.

a few questions for you:
- is SELinux the future, or can it be disregarded when learning the basics of system administration? It has been around for a while and it doesn't seem to be universally adopted (neither seems AppArmor or whatever)
- for desktop use, do you think rolling release distros are better than Fedora? They are more bleeding edge at least, which is probably what many Fedora users like about the distro
- since I've read a lot of criticism of RPMfusion lately ("it's too slow and a total mess"), where am I supposed to get my screenfetches and mpvs from if not from there? Is compiling fresh from the source The Fedora Way(tm)?

>I'll try the ubuntu forums.
Alpine forums might suit you better friend

I didn't mean GNU free linux, just linux that was a lot more than just GNU and Linux. I want a full OS as defined by people, not a full OS as defined by POSIX. Sadly, this is just a GNU/Linux thread.

Ah well okay then

Works perfectly on my old laptop. I'm getting some graphical corruption in the menu on my desktop with skylake but not the issue you're describing.

Since the new kernel update, there are no longer AMD GPU drivers that work properly. I've already had X.org go out and that's a pain in the ass so I guess what I'm asking is how is the properitary driver support on say Fedora?

I always install the prop drivers from the manufacturer. I don't like using 3rd party repos for that stuff because then you have no one to complain to upstream if things go wrong.

If it's just an amd incompatibility with the latest xorg issue then the only thing you can do is hold those packages back or revert to the open drivers for the time being.

Which laptop? Mine is a Thinkpad T410, with Intel HD Graphics (Ironlake).
Now I'm kind of worried that my GPU might be dying.

1) SELinux (or a system similar to it) is the future but it should stay out of your way for the most part

2) They both have their pros and cons. In short I prefer the fedora model since major changes can be adopted when the user is ready to upgrade (i.e. at a non-critical time) whereas in a rolling-release none of that is considered. The dnf system upgrade has made upgrades relatively painless.

3) RPMFusion generally has issues for the first 2-3 months following a new release. If you need those packages I would recommend holding off on updating until they stabilize. In general, the problems are overblown due to point 1 (shitty gpu drivers) that most users don't know how to troubleshoot. Building from source in the interim? Sure, why not. I'd just keep the binaries in ~.

Alright lol, had I known it would be a pain in the ass to get the damn AMD drivers i would have just bought a Nividia card. Ill try and figgure it out

Been some +3 long years without using GNU/Linux. I really liked Arch, is it still as good as before?

How is Manjaro for that matter? I don't need cutting edge packages all the time, and the option to make an automated install looks sexy.

Why do posts/questions like this annoy me so much?

Sounds like you want Fedora.

Because these people assume that some random stranger on the internet is going to have a better understanding of what distro will work for them after reading a sentence describing their history with linux versus the person themselves. Read the paradox of choice, it all stems from that.

I used to run arch Linux smoothly. Then I randomly wasnt able to access the internet from my room connection (though I encounter no problem from my lab)

As I wasn't able to troubleshoot it, I reinstalled the distro.

After a clean install, I went home only to suffer from the same problem.

I think about switching to Debian but muh pacman and much AUR

Thinkpad X201, also with Ironlake.

I tried it back in the day and really didn't like it. It's just that I can't stand other package manager than Pacman. Guess I'll try Manjaro and if it does not go well, go with Arch instead.

I don't have as much time as back then today to test all distros. I use my computer for work so I can't be bothered with having my shit fucked up every 5 minutes. Yeah, I know, I sound like a boring adult but that's the way it goes.

>I use my computer for work so I can't be bothered with having my shit fucked up every 5 minutes.

>wants to use Manjaro/Arch

I'm newbie. I download hotline miami 2 and I am trying to run it but when I use the start.sh the terminal just flashes on the screen and nothing happens, what do?

FUUUUUUUCK

I mean, I know my way around Arch. I used it for 2 years. What I'm saying is that since I left, they made a lot of changes (such as adopting systemd), which I'm really not aware of and I'm uncertain that the distro is still as good as it was then.

If any other rolling release distro has appeared, with a package manager that does not suck (I'm looking at you, apt), I'd love to hear.

>Internet no work
>rage quit
Imagine if every problem was handled this way. Oh no, no toilet paper -> Kill self.
The internet not working is the symptom not the problem. Does DNS work, does ICMP work, can you connect to your modem, can you connect to your ISP? Have you reset your firewall, have you evaluated your routing table?

Little bit ashamed to admit it but I am not familiar with networking.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Just installed linux mint alongside windows on my laptop, what are some things I should do now?

>rolling release
>use my computer for work

Rolling releases have their place but using one in a work environment is not one of them

also
>I mean, I know my way around Arch. I used it for 2 years. What I'm saying is that since I left, they made a lot of changes

It sounds like you are familiar with pacman, not Arch. If you don't know how to work with systemd you are going to have a hell of a time troubleshooting

Are you really asking for advice?

apt install xserver-xorg-video-ati

yeah that's pain in the ass.

>he didn't wait for 18

shiggy

Is there a terminal emulator with an option to minimize to the system tray?

Compile 1.0.0

Wayland is meme,and almost everything pipes in to x for a functioning desktop

did it because I'm doing CS/Programming (yeah yeah, I've heard it already) and I figured this could only help. Never followed news about linux before so this is all new to me. What is 18? New update?

Linux Mint 18 is 16.04 LTS with Cinnamon 3.0. Basically all the latest goodies.

I'd recommend installing Ubuntu + Cinnamon in the meantime or Fedora Cinnamon (you are a programmer, right?). Kubuntu is pretty nice too if you have the hardware.

I started asking if Arch was as good as it was +3 years ago. It's not that I can't troubleshoot most common issues, but it sounds like I really should get my feet wet on systemd.

That's why I said I may try Manjaro instead, to start all over again from it and then maybe switching to Arch.

And sorry but back in the day, pacman=Arch. It may not be like it anymore, but it was.

You probably had problems when your hardware was still fresh on the market. If you use a recent kernel your problems are probably gone.

use the fuck wiki dumb fuck

I'll look into Fedora Cinnamon, what does it offer compared to Linux Mint? Is it more customizable? I'm mainly a C++ programmer so I'm not worried about difficulty

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>being this unfriendly

what's up Sup Forums?

It's a bit more bleeding edge but tracks RHEL so you are getting familiar with a distro that is actually used in corporate environments for your future job prospects

Quick question: are you using a compositor like Compton? I tried it with Compton and it's working normally.
If you are using a composited desktop, can you turn it off to test it quickly?

Awesome, I'll get out my boot drive. Thanks

What's the point of that? What you want might be achievable in a different way.

thanks for the answers
you should know that you can set GRUB timeout to 2 seconds or less, so that booting into Mint happens faster and you have no time to consider booting Windows again :)

Hey guys, I've been using gnu-linux for 3 years now and basically I'm looking for books to read that talk about building operating systems from the ground up.

Any ideas?

Nothing of the sort, I normally use a simple openbox + fbpanel combination on my laptop.

You'll quit 3 pages into such a book.
Building an operating system isn't installing already created software and "ricing" it with anime wallpapers.

No I'm fully aware, I'm talking about binary, assembly, CPU architecture, scheduling, events, threads, instructions, interrupts, how to write a kernel, etc

I'm toying around with the idea of buying a server rack and using it as a host for my main os, and forwarding everything over X, turning all my computers into thin clients.
Apart from having to have your computers connected to the internet at all times for access, which are some major cons to this?

Everything becomes slow as shit m8.

What's the status of AI for linux? How close are we to a personal assistant + chatbot that can resemble a waifu? There's alice and sirius, but I haven't gotten around to messing with them yet.

>2u servers are loud as fuck
>its better to run a fiber link for USB3 and displayport than use remote software, unless you've got 10gbit network links

mycroft is FOSS so that could be used.

benny on my Sup Forums?

>Install Debian testing alpha 5
>Failed at 'Select and Install Software'

Welp..

>install debian testing alpha 5
there's your problem. the testing installer is only a beta for the installer, install stable and upgrade to testing from there. i just installed unstable on my new ssd, there's a few bugs currently so you probably need to resolve a few dependencies. it does work though.

Who is dead?
Who is gone?

So, I have Ubuntu 16.04, with two monitors:
-Main monitor 1440p@120Hz
-Secondary Monitor 1080p@60Hz

Both connected to the same GPU, the problem that I have is that whenever I play a video file in the main monitor I get a lot of video desynchronisation. I've tried several video players (vlc, mpv...) and the y all desync.

What could be the cause of this? The only clue so far I have it's mpv saying that the "detected" framerate is 60Hz instead of the 120Hz specified in xorg.conf (and validated within the monitor own menu).

>xorg.conf
pastebin.com/583weFYc

It's what RMS said about Steve Jobs after he died.

So I want to have a Windows guest with GPU pass through on Ubuntu 16.04. is it anywhere near as seamless as something like virtualbox where the guest can just run in a window, or do I need to boot into something special?

>somehow manage to install #!++
>prompt for username and password
>every time I try one from Google it beeps louder than my car
Any idea what it could be? I didn't set any up during installation

I fucking can't dualboot this goddamn Ubuntu 16 on my new laptop with preinstalled Wangblows.
I just want to have Lunix installed on my secondary hard drive (put in the former DVD slot) and Windows on my primary drive, but the cursed bootloader fucks with me and I can't even boot into Ubuntu, even after using boot-repair, shit. It sometimes doesn't even boot to Windows on the first try and just restarts.
I had dual-boot for years, but the current setup is making something go wrong.

If you liked my blog - rate and subscribe, thanks.

Don't forget to clean portage, /flt/!

Don't you need KVM and qemi and a vt-d CPU and a separate monitor or something

Also
>Smooth
>Anything Linux and drivers and virtualization

For some reason I get permission denied when trying to write to my ntfs drive even though I have write permissions (even as root)

>what is passwd

most monitors have several inputs

is it mounted as read only?

He'd be able to do something a bit tricky with KVM and a single monitor. Using one VGA and one DVI would enable you to switch any monitor worth its salt between the two inputs - you'd however need two outputs which is where the hard part comes from. Either you setup your BIOS to use multi monitor with both your iGPU and your graphics card, and then do the regular PCI stub to block the GPU output initially, or you'd use two graphics cards.