Can we agree that Carmack is the best?

Best C programmer, best C++ programmer, etc etc. C style C++ is the only sane option to do C++.
id Software was the best because of him as a programmer and Romero as a designer. Carmack was also for the open source cause.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hapCuhAs1nA
giantbomb.com/john-carmack/3040-4576/
youtube.com/watch?v=VcWRc1wK3gM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>C++
Trashed. Take your gaymer shit to Sup Forums.

>Can we agree that Carmack is the best?
Yes

I agree

We all know idtech 5 was shit, just come to peace with it.

>Thinks C++ is used for games only
You do know that almost all of your shitty OS (assuming Windoz) and programs are written in C++?

>OS is everything
Underage, back to your cancerous linux general

Carmack is fucking weird, he's always developed cutting-edge technology and has been at the top of his class, but struggles to make any worthwhile end-product. Like a tinkerer that makes awesome inventions that have no immediate use and other people need think about how to actually utilize them,

Most of Carmack's engines are really good teaching material

I use Windows and OSX.

Speaks volumes about you if your best work is suitable only for drooling undergrads to stare at.

And?

MEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

He should be a researcher and not a game developer. Then again he probably makes more money making games than he would working for some university.

So, yet again, it's capitalism's fault. Thanks, capitalism!

Probably, although few of his games were what I'd call blockbusters. The new Doom is pulling 83 metacritic score with 80 user, so maybe his fortunes are changing, but this would be his first game in a decade to do so.

Didn't he leave Id for Facebook a while ago?

yeah Carmack is clever as shit

mostly wastes his talent these days though

He left for Oculis which was later purchased by Facebook. But basically yes. Doom 4 (fuck you Bethesda) can hardly be called his anymore. Maybe the engine I guess. I assume he put a lot of work into it before he left.

Yes, he left for Oculus which was later bought by Facebook.

>implying
any research and scientific work that relies on computer graphics has been piggybacking on the progresses made by game engine developers for the last 4 decades. the two are deeply intertwined.

Yeah and that's why it's good.
You also realize that most other OSes are made in C too right? And not your retarded shitty Java alternatives? Java is worse than C++ simply because of all the things it lacks, along with its horrible runtime environment and virtual machine.

Ah shit I forgot about that, but looking at the development times of games, I wouldn't be surprised if he did a good chuck of the engine and pre-production work.
Actually, I'm starting be suspicious about the fact that maybe the new Doom turned out well is exactly because he left and had no say in the actual game design.

>Maybe the engine I guess
I would guess not, I don't think Carmack has worked on a game engine for at least a decade.

I was under the impression it's all he's good at.

I think I read somewhere that he helped for the engine and SnapMap. Not sure

I never said C++ nor C were shitty. C is my fav. But Java and C# and managed shit in general sucks

Carmack rarely does game design. Or at least does not think about games as more than simply demos for graphical engine technology.

Doom3 and RAGE were prime examples.

I would finally learn C if only Carmack would teach me.

Jelly code monkey detected.

You do realize he was researching 3D rendering before there were any books on the topic.

Doom4 uses the same engine as RAGE, which was John's last work as supervisor at id.

The game itself was in development hell since 2008; development was restarted at least twice: first with carmack leaving, then a second time in 2011 due to mismanagement. Buy lucky accident did it get it right (and without any of the old doom devs on board).

I am aware that I am a nerd with no life that goes to quakecon every year.

I researched your mom's anal cavity last night, am I a genius yet?

Is C style C++ really the way to go?

If you're a mediocre dev that doesn't want money then yes. If you're a mediocre dev that wants money start C#.

no.
If you want safe, use C.
If you want easy, use C++.
A lot of applications are just fine using C++ but if you rely on features that doesn't work properly in C++ then it is better to avoid using them.

>C
>safe language

top kek

I think C++ without heavy template use and C lib instead of STL is the way to go. Classes + methods is neat to have a clean code, namespaces are really useful

Why C's library instead of STL? I can see why you'd like to drop I/O streams, but containers, algorithms and iterators to name a few are nice to have, aren't they?

He is a tome of knowledge.
youtube.com/watch?v=hapCuhAs1nA

Mmm yes they are. I guess I'm too used to fixed sized arrays (and all the string.h functions, i.e)

I have always wanted to learn C++ but get put off by all the talk about it being so hard. I sit with my scripting languages. What would be a good way for a python monkey to learn C++?

what is carmack's educational background?

Carmack is an average programmer. He's up there, but he's just one of the few ones who are more social than the rest. There's far better programmers than him that are advancing the field and building new languages.

like nikita?

This isn't true. He pooled a lot of his research from 3D programming that was happening in europe. He just so happened to give it a video game application.

Carmack was the one eyed man who actually had some basic understanding of Computer Science in the land of blind game programmers.

tfw

>acknowledging some website's top one hundred

>Sold out his community to be funded directly by Facebook.

To be honest, there's no pride in supporting the computer science community.

Mostly self taught, he went from BASIC to asm to C to C++

Sounds about the same background for me. This is probably why I believe programming will always be a niche field. You have to have the desire to just up and go learn it by yourself to get it.

He also had an aerospace startup. You're telling me he didn't even go to college?

He's cool

College is a meme place for average people to go to get middle class jobs. If I was smarter, I would have skipped college, too, went directly into web dev like I should have, and would probably have a million dollar company in dallas right now who had took advantage of the web business explosion of the early 2000s.

there are two types of programmers

those who learn something like java and just clock in writing a boring business CRUD app. nothing exciting but it is a career with decent pay and in a comfy office.

then you have self starters who learn different languages, frameworks, tools, etc by themselves. they work on challenging things. they are the people who make the tools and frameworks that the first type of programmer uses.

>After finishing high school, Carmack studied computer programming for two semesters at the University of Missouri–Kansas City, but dropped out. "It just didn't seem all that worthwhile," Carmack later said. "In hindsight, I could have gotten more out of it than I did, but I hadn't acquired a really good attitude towards learning from all possible sources yet."
giantbomb.com/john-carmack/3040-4576/

I think he self taught rocket the rocket stuff. Listen first 30 seconds of this:youtube.com/watch?v=VcWRc1wK3gM

Whether leaving college was good or bad, he made bank, so that's all that matters. A better story than most drop outs.

>Europe
>Advancing anything computers

Good ideas, but everyone there was so competitive, nothing came from it.

he's cool but doom is just a cash cow

What about Torvalds? Also there's probably some physicists out there or numerical analysts who do serious computations that you never hear about who program better out of necessity.

Too bad he sold his soul to Cuckerberg

>implying carmack ever had a soul

>what is the WWW
jelly?

vidya programmers are the best programmers

why does Sup Forums get upset over this?

His inverse square root code is god tier. But I still think he sold his soul to the devil when he moved to C++. So I say, fuck him and his company.

>he's still in his C stage
Pitiful.

>why does Sup Forums get upset over this?
because they're living their dreams.
I always wanted to go into gamedev to some big company, but after reading how their life actually is I decided not too. They're truly a breed of their own.

This is pretty stupid. 3D rendering is simply rasterization and linear algebra. The Quake 1 source code is easy to understand.

I'd say the Quake 1/2/3 networking model was his most impressive work, enabling the multiplayer games we know today.
Megatexturing is a close competitor, but due to Sup Forums kiddies it gets shit thrown at it.